Discussion Hunter x Hunter = Naruto

thatguy3331

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Messages
588
Reaction score
362
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't read Naruto, but I've heard many times of similarities and how they're friends. As I've read various series I've learned influence is a given, I know as a (amature) Writer myself, HxH has infulenced me alot in terms of how characters interact(well Index has too but to a lesser extent) the only thing with me is I like more humorous and slapstick type scenarios.

Its random, but out of curiosity does anyone know is Raiku Makoto has had any influences from others or has influenced others? (Aside from me of course)
 

heron bpv

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2012
Messages
391
Reaction score
254
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
^No idea, but isn't him the creator of Konjiki no Gash?
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
If I remember correctly Beelzebub was influenced by Zatch Bell in many ways. Could be wrong though, memory is a little hazy on that.
 

tobeulp

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2009
Messages
801
Reaction score
193
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
First when I see the title some rage builds up on me how the hell can someone say Hunter x Hunter = Naruto it is worlds apart story wise ^^... But I am wrong because the topic is like Naruto copying HxH ^^... I think in the manga world many people had copied styles from their idol/sensei because they are influence by it and it is very hard to have a manga that didn't have similarities with other manga nowadays... But still HxH >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> random good manga >>>>>>> Naruto(Sorry too dragging of the story really destroy this manga)
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,131
Reaction score
20,256
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
HXH: Nen Test
Naruto: Element Test

LOOK ALIKE:
HXH: Nobunaga Hazama
Naruto: Shikamaru Nara
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Last edited:

duerlin

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2012
Messages
107
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
People see what they want to see.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
People see what they want to see.
doesn't mean they're right.

but the pics are up for folks to decide for themselves.
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Chuunin Exam was a total rip-off.
-They begin with meeting a veteran, who tells the protagonists about the participants.
-The second phase examiners also look and act similar. (Menchi, not Buhara lol)
-While the most dangerous participant is a somewhat gay/pedo/weirdo who is after one of the main cast and has some connection with the deuteragonist's older brother as well as main antagonists' group of the series.
-The deadly forest/island where they have to hunt each other so that at least half of them fails.
-After the second phase is where they meet the "main dude" of the organisation who is an old man.
-Also, the third phase is being hold in a tower and is (in HxH mostly) consists of 1-on-1 battles.
-The final phase is an uncommon tournament, where you don't aim to be the last man standing (rules are still different though).
-The first battle is the main character's one, where he defeats an opponent no one expects him to.
-After some changes in battle order and the deuteragonist's battle everything goes out of control.
 

Yuyunarutoballz

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2012
Messages
136
Reaction score
118
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I hate when people compare Hunter x Hunter to Naruto. Naruto borrowed a few elements but they're nothing alike. Naruto went completely in its own direction, there plot, purposes, even characters are completely different.
HXH and Naruto have similarities,it's normal because there are shonen manga,but Naruto's universe and atmosphere are completely different.
This. This so much.

There are some VAGUE similarities between the two, but to say HUNTERXHUNTER = Naruto is pretty insulting. Naruto is as cliche as you can get in shonen, with the storyline playing out for the sole purpose of fan service rather than trying to be compelling or intelligent. HunterXHunter is logical while being original and unpredictable, you get excited by mysterious characters/places/abilities/events but there's enough realism in the design and the character's actions/thoughts to make it something you can connect to quite deeply.
You've got to be kidding me. Naruto? Cliche? Moving forward for the sole purpose of fan service? If you think Naruto, of all shounen, is cliche you must be very picky about what you watch. Ever seen a show called Fairy Tail? THAT, just takes the cake for the most predictable, cliche, pointlessly developed shounen i've ever seen. You say Naruto never tries to be compelling or intelligent? Have you SEEN the Pain arc. The way everything just flowed together and how so many things were revealed was beautiful, compelling, the whole sha-bang. Two fan favorites died in that arc and another fan favorite just died in the newest chapter, so don't give me that "cliche" bull. Naruto does fine as a stand alone series.
Its random, but out of curiosity does anyone know is Raiku Makoto has had any influences from others or has influenced others? (Aside from me of course)
Raiku Makoto was influenced by Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball, early Dragon Ball to be more exact as you can tell from the flawless combination of both action and comedy in Zatch Bell. Think of Zatch Bell as Dragon Ball if Dragon Ball would have stayed the same from its first volume onward.

Anyway, yeah, HxH fans bash on Naruto to much :notrust can't we just love them both? I know i do. Plus, i love how everybody loves to point out Narutos similarities with HxH but completely ignore the whole Naruto/Goku, Sasuke/Vegeta or Gon/Goten, Killua/Trunks thing.
 

Salce

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
324
Reaction score
338
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
I agree with Yuyunarutoballz.

I mean, I like HxH more than Naruto, but Naruto isn't a bad or cliche manga at all.

Naruto borrowed elements from HxH at the beggining, but it has built its own plot, and it's nothing like HxH.
Actually I think Naruto outperforms HxH in worldbuilding. Kishimoto's world is far more complex. The mythology about Rikudou and his sons, the moon, or Uchiha vs Senju are examples.

I also find praiseworthy that Naruto is a continous story. While you can separate "arcs", the separation is not so abrupt as in other mangas.

In One Piece they go from island to island with a different enemy in each one. In Bleach the arcs are very long but when they finish is clean slate.

But Naruto has been moving forward the same plot, with Tobi as the final enemy, since years.
 

leiatte

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
312
Reaction score
232
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't know why people are trying to bring down Naruto, Its a great manga although the current arc is definitely not my favorite, it has some awesome story telling abilities, and I really like Hunter X Hunter as well, but I like them for different reasons.

Yeah, I know Naruto borrowed some elements of Hunter X Hunter but, The story has transformed completely different, and I loved the Chuunin exam arc, that arc was awesome, and I don't see Naruto as Cliche, sure Naruto the character says some cliche things but its mostly because he uses those same lines over and over, so he kind of made it cliche on his own (yeah, it gets annoying sometimes) but, It is definitely not Cliche in general.

I enjoy both of these manga alot, I was a huge fan of Naruto, Im probably not as big of a fan of the manga anymore, but I still like it, and right now Im loving Hunter X Hunter (Im new to it though, and I enjoy the characters.)
 

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 17, 2012
Messages
7,072
Reaction score
5,797
Country
Marine Headquarters
Kurapika and Sasuke have special eyes and their clans have been annihilated, but to say that Naruto=HXH is quite exaggerating IMHO.
Sure, there are a lot of common elements, but the two mangas have a completely different stroyline.
 

The Invertroid

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2012
Messages
236
Reaction score
136
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I haven't seen Naruto in awhile, but from what I remember the Chunin Exam also had parts that were similar to Genkai's tournament from Yu Yu Hakusho. Especially the part in both where participants have to survive an evil forest.
 

Tombadgerlock

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2006
Messages
235
Reaction score
41
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
France
One of the big reasons for Togashi making the G.I arc was because Kishimoto kept copying his work and so he went out of his way to do something completely different.

Anyway:
Kurapika has eyes that make him able to do any techniques, and he wants revenge on someone who killed his whole clan and possess a technique to steal other techniques. (Itachi = Kuroro)

Hisoka's whole goal in being a G.R was to fight Kuroro and he then became a semi-mentor for Kurapika during the Y.S arc. (Hisoka = Orochimaru). His intro and the whole forest scene are very similar to Orochimaru's intro too.

I don't have to talk about how Biscuit was flat out copied by Tsunade i hope.

Anyway, Togashi's hiatus as well as G.I and so on meant that Kishomoto had to stop his week-by-week copy of HxH (he was also getting dissed a lot by the japanese public for it), so later on the similarities get rarer, though they do resurface every so often.
 

wahyu_rockman

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 6, 2008
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
You should reverse the title and say Naruto=HxH. HxH did come out before Naruto after all.
Yeah, hunterXHunter come out before naruto, and their story more thrilling and More dramatic than Naruto, when newbie manga readers will love naruto, But anyone who have manny manga will thing Naruto story not developing very well
I like Naruto, But i prefer read HXH than Naruto, Thats my opinion..

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

I hate when people compare Hunter x Hunter to Naruto. Naruto borrowed a few elements but they're nothing alike. Naruto went completely in its own direction, there plot, purposes, even characters are completely different.

This. This so much.


You've got to be kidding me. Naruto? Cliche? Moving forward for the sole purpose of fan service? If you think Naruto, of all shounen, is cliche you must be very picky about what you watch. Ever seen a show called Fairy Tail? THAT, just takes the cake for the most predictable, cliche, pointlessly developed shounen i've ever seen. You say Naruto never tries to be compelling or intelligent? Have you SEEN the Pain arc. The way everything just flowed together and how so many things were revealed was beautiful, compelling, the whole sha-bang. Two fan favorites died in that arc and another fan favorite just died in the newest chapter, so don't give me that "cliche" bull. Naruto does fine as a stand alone series.

Raiku Makoto was influenced by Akira Toriyama's Dragon Ball, early Dragon Ball to be more exact as you can tell from the flawless combination of both action and comedy in Zatch Bell. Think of Zatch Bell as Dragon Ball if Dragon Ball would have stayed the same from its first volume onward.

Anyway, yeah, HxH fans bash on Naruto to much :notrust can't we just love them both? I know i do. Plus, i love how everybody loves to point out Narutos similarities with HxH but completely ignore the whole Naruto/Goku, Sasuke/Vegeta or Gon/Goten, Killua/Trunks thing.
Nay, u read GINTAMA? why u so serius dude, just admit it.
NARUTO just thrilling for elementary manga fans, the story just to easy to predict, and that "Power of Friendship" of Naruto just to much for fellow manga fans
anyone who think Naruto was master piece thats True, but that view of Manga FANS, not Manga Reader, they just dont know any other manga thats good
Naruto fans is just PLAIN FANS, they like thats another people like, they just dont have their own TASTE
 

Phantron

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 2, 2011
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
797
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You might as well say Meryem is a copy of Perfect Cell. At least they actually look alike.

If you reduce everything down to one sentence elements then everything copied from everything.

Outside of the obvious copying of the Hunter Exam, there's really not much copying either way just because Togashi's work ethics makes it pretty much impossible for anyone to copy from HXH once you start hitting the GI arc. "Woman with mega strength" is a relatively common subtype and that's about the only thing Biscuit has in common wiht Tsunade.
 

GingFuriksu

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2012
Messages
409
Reaction score
217
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bisuke and Tsunade aren't just women with mega strength. They're both old but hide their appearance to make themselves look younger. That's a little TOO specific xD

But yeah, I know what you mean.
 
Top