Anime Hunter X Hunter New Anime Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
For me at least, it's kind of strange to have some mass murdering kid act interact normally with other people and then all of a sudden at the last phase suddenly scream about wanting to live a normal life as a kid. By strange I mean the dichotomy isn't internally explainable and seems more like bad writing - but this is my personal opinion. I think there are other ways to make the audience wary of Killua but it would require a balance to be struck without making the character difficult to believe in.
This is no strange thing. Kids often act as they like, and when talking with parents/older siblings they're either making exuces or shouting to cover up their faults. Not that I see Killua being actually in fault, but Illumi does. Well... Can't explain what I want to say.

Huh? Yes. There's no way HxH is for kids so it would make more sense to target it to a more mature demographic. But currently the show really is targeted to children.
I see 2011 anime more like manga. It seems to be childlike but actually is more mature. 1999 on the other hand is a mature-wannabe series, and before Yorkshin it is just your typical shounen. Well, mostly.

Yeah. It doesn't matter to me whether it's an adaptation or not. I wouldn't say the it contradicts the manga too heavily either. I'd say it's more of a case of the anime adding extra elements to it that aren't there.
Most of great moments are screwed up because of those changes =/

I guess censorship is a bit more lax nowadays. Perhaps they were banking on the kids not noticing? Kastro did lose his arm though.
Well, no. I'd say censorship now is much more harsh. But Madhouse still managed to handle it.
Btw, Kastro didn't lose his arm, Hisoka did.

It's still very much HxH.
As much as I loved every single canon part of 1999 anime, I hated those filler bits. Not every, though, but most of them.

I never watched Brotherhood or read the manga but I did find the original rather enjoyable, yes.
You should definitely read the manga)

Only because I find it good. I mean i was excited as hell for the 2011 reboot. Just what they did really annoyed me. Not to mention the fact that the direction is a little poor here and there.
If you weren't biassed, you would enjoy it.

And Gon goes 'MMMMM!!!' whenever Killua says something and Hisoka is some boring-cool villain now. The more diabolically whimsical 1999 Hisoka is actually more consistent with the manga's anyway. Ah well, I don't think Killua's character was damaged beyond repair because of that one episode.
Old Hisoka didn't seem like a treat to me. Now he is more mature. And he is still psycho and perverted-cool vilain. And why don't you like Gon "m-m"ing?

I don't think he was stereotyped save for that one episode.
It wasn't just one episode. They tampered with his character a lot. He was an incommunicative emo kid from the very start. Then his inability to handle his assasin's instincts. Not only during the fight on an Airship, the foxbear filler was like that as well. I don't wanna rewatch the 1999 anime to find up other changes, but that is enough for me.

No they didn't.
Yes they did)

How in god's name did you get that from the 2011 anime?
Just by watching. Try it, it is very effective.

When exactly has he acted the jerk, look evil or act evil in the 2011 anime so far? I can't think of a single thing. Maybe in the manga when he starts losing it in the CA arc or bits of Yorknew (actually I don't remember much about Yorknew).
I'll mention those again.
Not helping Leorio at the beginning of the first exam vs helping him in 1999.
Thinking of sticking with his plan while watching Hisoka targetting his friends on Zevil island vs thinking to help without hesitation.
Stealing Ponzu's tag vs letiing Leorio handle it.
Disabling injured Gido in Heaven's arena vs removing Gido's stick which was used only for spinning.

That's a very wide classification. Shit like Bleach and Naruto are "shounen". But HxH is nothing like it - I mean nothing like it AT ALL and the target audience is vastly different. Let's not talk about age here. Just think in terms of who the show is shooting for.
Yeah, it isn't a typical shounen. But it is still one. Come on, it's from shounen magazine!
 

chei

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Messages
106
Reaction score
133
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
apparition appeared brigade soon! Than 30 minutes when 17 tomorrow in that, do the press conference the voice of brigade members. In this Twitter, and tweet in real time. I serve as the moderator of the role of Shinya Mari Let me grace and Killua Gon Ban ... role. Our attention is also her "first try"! Please check it.

I used google translation on the NTV site.
Oh I went to the site to check it out. It saids there will be a press conference tomorrow afternoon for the announcement of Phantom troupe's seiyuu. Gon and killua's seiyuu will be hosting it. Sounds like they got big casts... Is it normal to have press conference for things like this?
 

Beans

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2012
Messages
188
Reaction score
243
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Jordan
Best example I could think of right now: In the manga and the new anime, Gon stole Ponzo's badge while she was asleep. Doeasn't that make him a jerk compared to the old anime when he left her and Leoreo had to do it himself?


---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Here's another example: In the old anime, when Gon realized that Hisoka was going after Kurapika and Leoreo, he first thought about sticking to his plan of stealing Hisoka's badge. He decided to stick to his plan over saving his friends. But because he's not a total jerk, he rethought about it and decided to step in if they're going to fight. In the old anime he was willing to help them from the start.
And here's another one.

Gon's selfish enough to wait for someone's death so that he can steel Hisoka's tag!
The line "In the moment Hisoka goes to finish off his prey!" was missing in the old series.
 

Refraction

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Messages
59
Reaction score
125
Gender
Male
Country
Iceland
If you weren't biassed, you would enjoy it.
I get the impression that a lot of the vitriol directed at the 1999 series in this thread is likely to militate its fans to seek to undermine the 2011 series, in order to make those who like that series feel as genuinely hurt as the 1999 fans do when something they really like is berated, and not always fairly. I don't feel that this is a case of bias: I think a lot of the responses here are actually born of hurt and pain.

Irrespective of what the veracity is of any claim regarding either series, I'm taken aback by how some people are making really scathing remarks about a series that other people are bound to love--and that goes for both series. In a thread where people are absolutely going to have strong feelings for HUNTERxHUNTER in one way or another, we need to temper what we say to account for the feelings of others--if we don't, that's inevitably going to hurt people who are posting here now because they love HUNTERxHUNTER, whatever guise it may don. To be honest, I love pretty much everything HUNTERxHUNTER, and I love the 1999 series so much that, oddly, despite liking the 2011 in just as many ways, I almost want to criticise it so that other people understand just how bad it hurts me when something I love is attacked with little in the way of consideration. In this way, my love of both series is injured.

Whatever the truthfulness of the claims laid down in here, I think we could all stand to be a little more receptive to the love of each adaptation expressed by each individual; and we need to appreciate that this series--whatever form it was packaged in--has touched every one of us posting in this forum. We wouldn't be posting in a HUNTERxHUNTER forum if we didn't love the series in one way or another, and we wouldn't have come to blows if we didn't have strong feelings on the matter. I shouldn't suppose there's anything wrong with debate on the subject, but neither series for the manga is awful--and neither series is bad, nor even mediocre.

We've been blessed with two astoundingly good cartoons. That's more than you can say for most any other Shounen Jump manga. But when one side is undermined--sometimes crassly--it's possibly going to inspire proponents of the other side to act in the same way, to make the other side feel the same pain. That pain's only there because the cartoon is loved. And looking at how good both series are, I can see why!

We might stand to gain a lot by looking for the best in both of these series, reconciling our misgivings by reading into both positively rather than negatively; and we can appreciate the care and attention lavished on both series. Yoshihiro Togashi was author of one of Shounen Jump's most popular manga; I just don't think he was ever going to get shafted with an inadequate anime series of his next potential big hit.
 
Last edited:

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22ZRlLdC_CA&feature=plcp

i think that this theme will be played when they say goodbye to wing
This could also work in parts of the Kite flashback.

---------- Post added at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Oh I went to the site to check it out. It saids there will be a press conference tomorrow afternoon for the announcement of Phantom troupe's seiyuu. Gon and killua's seiyuu will be hosting it. Sounds like they got big casts... Is it normal to have press conference for things like this?
I'm guessing that they got some pretty big guns on board for this. No this is not 'normal' per say. It happens but usually at the start of a series to introduce the main cast, but they are introducing a group of characters. It leads me to believe they have some big name seiyuu on to play some of the Troupe.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

I get the impression that a lot of the vitriol directed at the 1999 series in this thread is likely to militate its fans to seek to undermine the 2011 series, in order to make those who like that series feel as genuinely hurt as the 1999 fans do when something they really like is berated, and not always fairly. I don't feel that this is a case of bias: I think a lot of the responses here are actually born of hurt and pain.

Irrespective of what the veracity is of any claim regarding either series, I'm taken aback by how some people are making really scathing remarks about a series that other people are bound to love--and that goes for both series. In a thread where people are absolutely going to have strong feelings for HUNTERxHUNTER in one way or another, we need to temper what we say to account for the feelings of others--if we don't, that's inevitably going to hurt people who are posting here now because they love HUNTERxHUNTER, whatever guise it may don. To be honest, I love pretty much everything HUNTERxHUNTER, and I love the 1999 series so much that, oddly, despite liking the 2011 in just as many ways, I almost want to criticise it so that other people understand just how bad it hurts me when something I love is attacked with little in the way of consideration. In this way, my love of both series is injured.

Whatever the truthfulness of the claims laid down in here, I think we could all stand to be a little more receptive to the love of each adaptation expressed by each individual; and we need to appreciate that this series--whatever form it was packaged in--has touched every one of us posting in this forum. We wouldn't be posting in a HUNTERxHUNTER forum if we didn't love the series in one way or another, and we wouldn't have come to blows if we didn't have strong feelings on the matter. I shouldn't suppose there's anything wrong with debate on the subject, but neither series for the manga is awful--and neither series is bad, nor even mediocre.

We've been blessed with two astoundingly good cartoons. That's more than you can say for most any other Shounen Jump manga. But when one side is undermined--sometimes crassly--it's possibly going to inspire proponents of the other side to act in the same way, to make the other side feel the same pain. That pain's only there because the cartoon is loved. And looking at how good both series are, I can see why!

We might stand to gain a lot by looking for the best in both of these series, reconciling our misgivings by reading into both positively rather than negatively; and we can appreciate the care and attention lavished on both series. Yoshihiro Togashi was author of one of Shounen Jump's most popular manga; I just don't think he was ever going to get shafted with an inadequate anime series of his next potential big hit.
I'd have to respectfully disagree, this is the first forum I have been to where the 1999 vs 2011 discussion has not been born from hate and fuelled by anger. I see it discussed respectfully to one anothers opinion with most people comparing the differences between the series instead of insulting someone for liking one or the other. I think we can all agree that both series were good, but in vastly different ways, with vastly different outlooks and messages.
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I'd have to respectfully disagree, this is the first forum I have been to where the 1999 vs 2011 discussion has not been born from hate and fuelled by anger. I see it discussed respectfully to one anothers opinion with most people comparing the differences between the series instead of insulting someone for liking one or the other. I think we can all agree that both series were good, but in vastly different ways, with vastly different outlooks and messages.
Ditto this. Other forums can be a bit harsh on HxH (whatever adaptation they may be discussing). This one is actually pretty civil in comparison. And what I like about this forum is that though there are disagreements, you'd also see the differences amongst the manga, '99 adaptation, and 2011 adaptation without that much backlash compared to other forums. That, to me, makes me appreciate HxH even more. There will be some things I don't like in one version, and others I do. But I think it's good to see different opinions on the matter, and not just your own. Even if you disagree with their opinion, at least you get to understand where they are coming from. It's like criticizing your favorite movie.

Lol, I notice a lot of HxH fans are very opinionated about the series, myself included. So we can get carried away sometimes, and not be totally respectful all the time. But actually, I think HxH is the kind of manga that you'd appreciate a lot more the more you discuss about it, because there are so many things to talk about and adaptations to fawn over. I agree with a lot of what Refraction said, but I also think discussing HxH enriches the experience.

Besides, there's no HxH episode this week, right? We may as well talk during the down time. I like discussions like this, especially in this forum where there isn't that much hate, just a lot of annoyances and differences and disagreements imo. This is actually one of the reasons I joined this forum.
 

Netero

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
737
Reaction score
583
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Haha, yup! This is my favorite place to discuss the awesomeness... that is Hunter x Hunter :D
 
Last edited:

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,718
Reaction score
61,439
Gender
Male
Country
France
And they will also make the anime darker!


Google translation:"hen brigade illusion" new series is the start from July 15! According to the story become more serious, stage settings and characters to create precise than ever before, building a cool and sharp view of the world. The "restart" as the animation is spectacular. To enjoy!

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Lol.Light and L 's VA together again.
 

bobop

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 3, 2012
Messages
196
Reaction score
319
Gender
Male
Country
Reunion
TROUPE ANNOUNCED! (I have linked their names to their Wiki or ANN pages)

Chrollo - Mamoru Miyano
Machi - Rena Maeda
Shizuku - Miho Arakawa
Shalnark - Noriko Hidaka
Nobunaga - Naoya Uchida
Pakunoda - Romi Park
Franklin - Hidenobu Kiuchi
Phinks - KENN
Uvogin - Akio Otsuka
Feitan - Kappei Yamaguchi

http://mantan-web.jp/2012/06/09/20120609dog00m200025000c.html
Thank you very much.
Those are some pretty big names.

Chrollo ---> Light Yagami :hee:hee:hee:hee
Machi ----> we already know her, she fits perfectly the role.
Shizuku ---> Seems to be a new one, like Machi's VA
Shalnark ----> Death Note's Near (don't remember his voice, but i think he was good) :)
Nobunaga -----> Uchiha Madara :hee:hee
Pakunada ------> Edward Elric :hee :hee
Franklin ------> Don't know him, but it seems he have some experience
Phinks -----> Hibito Nanba in Space Brothers :)
Uvogin ----> Rider in Fate Zero, Blackbeard in One Piece :zomg:zomg:zomg:zomg:zomg:zomg:zomg
Feitan ----> Usopp in One Piece :hee:hee:hee
An awesome cast !!! I can't wait !!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
@Demonspeed
I'm utterly confused by your google trad.:s
But from what i understand, the new arc will start on July 15.
So no recap for episode 39 right ? I'm really happy now. :hee
 
Last edited:

Refraction

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Messages
59
Reaction score
125
Gender
Male
Country
Iceland
I'd have to respectfully disagree, this is the first forum I have been to where the 1999 vs 2011 discussion has not been born from hate and fuelled by anger. I see it discussed respectfully to one anothers opinion with most people comparing the differences between the series instead of insulting someone for liking one or the other. I think we can all agree that both series were good, but in vastly different ways, with vastly different outlooks and messages.
Yeah, I have been too sweeping in my statement--which is ironically what I wanted to protest against! To speak only of my own experience, I have, for example, seen 1999 fans deemed "haters" without distinction; and even GIFs have been engineered to poke fun at people. Naturally, I don't want to stir up antipathy in pointing to these, but I do feel it is necessary to illuminate that there have been some hurtful jibes passed around. It's not universal--certainly not--and I can't speak for the quality of discussion elsewhere, but I have definitely felt hurt from some remarks made about either series--remarks that don't always take feelings into account. If there's something I like about the 1999 series or the 2011 series--though it's more commonly the former because the prevailing consensus is negative for that one--it'll sting a little if the criticisms are framed in a sarcastic or unrelenting light; it's not that they are criticisms, per se. Some have dished out unmitigated hatred for the directors of the first series, for example, and belittled them in emotive terms when the argument could be appreciated more readily by some qualification thrown in; it's worth taking into account that there's a lot they've done very sensitively with the first series, for example--people wouldn't appreciate it to the extent that they do, critically, if they didn't. I do not mind at all some criticism, or even extensive criticism, but there are times when it seemed somewhat redolent of an outright vendetta--which could inspire similar venom in the other side.

This really is not universal--so many of you guys speak only of a love for a given adaptation that is immediately tangible--but I do want to suggest where some of the antipathy swells from, potentially. I agree with both you and Cinnabar on the whole: please do discuss the series and revel in it; get as much out of it as you can--because this is the sort of series where you can pick out new thing after new thing on each successive reading. All I wish to do in making my statement is point out where some antipathies might emanate from. I'd just hope that I could maybe make it easier for fans of either side to understand each other just a little bit better.

Edit: Excited for the Phantom Troupe! Thanks for the news! Particularly pleased with Romi Park as Pakunoda, I think. Interested to see what Hidaka can do with Shalnark. Didn't Hidaka play Kurapika in the 1998 special?
 
Last edited:

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Don't worry, if things gets really harsh I'll just stop it. I've to admit though that I don't like to cut that discussion since I find it very interesting. It doesn't belongs to THIS thread, but considering there is no chapter this week I'm giving it a fat chance. Even if users are sometimes the worst at picking words, I find every argument to be quite readable so at this point and as long as the respect is still there I don't issue allowing it.
After all, it's you guys who decides what to discuss and what not.

Anyway...A reminder that always needs to be said: This discussion is about NEW anime. If someone wants to talk PARTICULARLY about the OLD ANIME make a thread about it and enjoy yourself. Link it here if you want every now and then, but PLEASE make it. Not to bash the 1999, I've to make that clear.

About the new Seiyuus...I never trust previous works. Until I don't hear myself IN animation I will hold my judgement.
 

futurefrog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
1,023
Reaction score
999
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
And they will also make the anime darker!


Google translation:"hen brigade illusion" new series is the start from July 15! According to the story become more serious, stage settings and characters to create precise than ever before, building a cool and sharp view of the world. The "restart" as the animation is spectacular. To enjoy!

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

Lol.Light and L 's VA together again.
Light, L, Near, and Lights Dad are all in the Troupe ;)

---------- Post added at 06:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 AM ----------

There will not be a recap episode it appears.
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
There will not be a recap episode it appears.
Strange... It is the best time to make a recap with Gon telling Mito in person about his adventures. Without recap, I don't think Madhouse'd be able to finish Greed Island at the end of the 4th season, it seems more like midway through it.
Not that I wanted to see the recap, but it would make sence.
 

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This voice cast reveal is huge! My reaction to yorknew starting in July 15th...

 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Miho Arakawa did Himari Takakura in Mawaru Penguindrum. I really love how mellow her voice sounds, it's perfect for Shizuku. Though for Shalnark...that's the second time they've casted a woman in a man's role when in the 1999 anime it was a guy. (First was Miluki). Noriko Hidaka is pretty good though, and it's nice to see Madhouse giving old seiyuu a chance to show the youngsters why they're the vets. Kappei as Feitan is something I just HAVE to hear though. It's like they're trying to reuinite the Death Note cast in HXH, lol....now if only Hideki Taniuchi didn't get busted for getting stoned, I'd say invite him on board too.

Lol, Franklin is Hei from Darker than Black. Another one I just HAVE to hear. I'm not convinced Phinks and Kuroro's seiyuu's fit, but I'll reserve judgement (like Uriel said), until I hear them in the show.
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
So it seems MH isn't going to drag the things. That's great.
I'll hope they'll fit 339 chapters in six seasons (three years of airing). 'Cuz that would be awesome.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,718
Reaction score
61,439
Gender
Male
Country
France
Strange... It is the best time to make a recap with Gon telling Mito in person about his adventures. Without recap, I don't think Madhouse'd be able to finish Greed Island at the end of the 4th season, it seems more like midway through it.
Not that I wanted to see the recap, but it would make sence.
I think it will be like that:
-Episode 35:60-61 or 62 where Gon gives his badge to Hisoka.
-Episode 36:62-63.
-Episode 37:64-65.
-Episode 38:Special Kaito episode.
-Episode 39:Start of York Shin arc.
 

Salce

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
324
Reaction score
338
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
I would like it to be like this:

Episode 35: 60, 61 and 62 until Gon gives his badge to Hisoka.
Episode 36: rest of 62 and 63
Episode 37: 64 and Gon's flashback (about Kaito)
Episode 38: 65 and 66
Episode 39: Start of York Shin arc (67 and 68)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top