Anime Hunter X Hunter New Anime Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I honestly enjoyed this episode, though I thought it was a bit meh compared to the others. I didn't like the first half too much because of all the flashbacks (and flashbacks within the flashbacks), but I guess it was okay. Manga reader here, so I felt a bit bogged down by the pacing.

But I think putting the flashbacks in was a good move on Madhouse's part for the anime-watchers. At least they didn't have to find and rewatch the Mizuken filler that was done episodes before, and it puts everything back into context. It's an okay transition from Whale Island to Mansion.

I liked the fillers. Now I'll be honest: I loved the Nostrade employees while reading the manga, but I completely blocked most of them from memory after Yorkshin arc ended. Yorkshin isn't my favorite arc, you see (le gasp, shocking I know). So for me, the fillers were a good way to remember them again. I thought they were a nice addition because Yorkshin introduces a lot of characters, so introducing some of them early on would make everyone easier to remember imo.

Not sure about you guys, but if I was only watching the anime, I think I would care more about the Nostrade employees if they were introduced before the fight. Otherwise I would be too focused on Kurapika, who would have been the only character I'd be familiar with.

Question: Do you think Kurapika's VA is doing a good job at showing his cold side and how much of a ticking time bomb he is?
 
Last edited:

Guru981

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
82
Reaction score
21
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
This remake has potential. I thought the soundtrack at some points were really good (at the mansion most definitely), but on the other hand, it was sloppy at other times. I think the main issue is that the pace is too slow, and I feel it's because the mangaka is taking too many breaks. Damn you Togashi!!
 

Refraction

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 4, 2007
Messages
59
Reaction score
125
Gender
Male
Country
Iceland
Question: Do you think Kurapika's VA is doing a good job at showing his cold side and how much of a ticking time bomb he is?
Having just finished the episode, I'm oddly tempted to say that Miyuki Sawashiro has been genuinely the most convincing performance in this show, for me! I haven't been thrilled with the way the acting has been directed in this new series, generally--but she's a glaring exception: I think her performance has been really, really believable. If I'm being honest--and I surprise myself saying this--I wouldn't be tempted at all to have the role played any other way. For someone so attached to Yuki Kaida's performance, this just baffles me. Hat's off to Sawashiro-san.
 

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Well, even though the whole episode was pretty much a filler, it was still quite entertaining.
I like how they show Kurapika when the scarlet eyes is mention.He look like he could kill anyone.
While it is pretty obvious that his hair has gotten longer ,I don't think a person looks can change that much.I mean, Kurapika's face looks really different from half a year ago.
The filler...
-Kurapika meeting his nen teacher. I don't really think it was necessary to show that part again.
-Baise filler. I have serious problem with it.I wish they didn't show her ability.It takes all the suspense out of the story.
-Basho filler.This filler bugs me. I really don't know why.A hunter stealing things from a museum/or something along the line and beating up a bunch of security guards. It feels really unprofessional for him as a hunter to do such a thing.But then again with Hisoka and Illumi killing hunters in the recent arc ,I guess that isn't such a big deal.
-Squala and Tocino filler .They shouldn't have shown them because next episode it would be pretty obvious who is the spy in the group.And that is an outright spoiler.
-Senritsu filler.The only filler that I'm okay with.As compare to the nippon version ,at least they are strangers in this version. But senritsu looks even more ugly in this version...
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
-Basho filler.This filler bugs me. I really don't know why.A hunter stealing things from a museum/or something along the line and beating up a bunch of security guards. It feels really unprofessional for him as a hunter to do such a thing.But then again with Hisoka and Illumi killing hunters in the recent arc ,I guess that isn't such a big deal.
Well, considering that Hunters work with mafia if needed, it is nothing strange that they could be fighting with security guards.
 

mousiehamster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
165
Gender
Male
Country
Hong Kong
Senritsu filler.The only filler that I'm okay with.As compare to the nippon version ,at least they are strangers in this version. But senritsu looks even more ugly in this version...
Strangely enough in the manga she is rather more monstrous - if not downright cruel - in appearance. Probably the intent was to mislead. In the 1999 version Senritsu looks ugly, but also kind of soft, and the narrative is written so that she is alot closer to Kurapika. Ultimately, she serves as a counterbalance (as well as juxtaposition) to Kurapika's darkness (to the extent possible, that is).
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Well, well. Remember, use spoilers. There may be new watchers.

And well, I considered this chapter as if I was seeing it for the first time. And I loved it. It fel shounen-ly. Presenting the characters and all that. I think it's wise to make the watchers more interested in these particular characters because...
Really, don't read this if you did not read the manga.
...they're the first to die horribly. If watchers get attached to them, more quickly they will realize Togashi's story.

The only thing that annoyed me was repeating the filler of the previous chapter. For the rest, excellent.

And the thing I loved the most was Melody characterization. PUUUUURFECT. I liked particularly the fear in her eyes. And her fatness now is more evident, which makes me love the overall design.

Not sure about you guys, but if I was only watching the anime, I think I would care more about the Nostrade employees if they were introduced before the fight. Otherwise I would be too focused on Kurapika, who would have been the only character I'd be familiar with.
This. This entirely.

@Akia: Basho is not a Hunter. Remember: There is other people aside Hunters who handle Nen.
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I think it's wise to make the watchers more interested in these particular characters because...
Really, don't read this if you did not read the manga.
...they're the first to die horribly. If watchers get attached to them, more quickly they will realize Togashi's story.
YES. This. Exactly. See, I think this is the reason why I blocked most of them from memory after Yorkshin (I'm sorry Nostrade employees, I really did like reading you though). I didn't notice them much because there were so many other characters I was attached to. Yorkshin was amazing, but I could hardly remember everyone. And to be honest, I've forgotten most of the details of this arc.

I'm looking forward to how Madhouse will adapt this. I'll make it a point to get attached to the Nostrade employees this time, as well as other characters I didn't notice beforehand. It feels like I'm familiar with the story but also experiencing Yorkshin again for the first time. This'll be fun.
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
@Akia: Basho is not a Hunter. Remember: There is other people aside Hunters who handle Nen.
Hmm, I'm pretty sure he is. Not necessarily a professional one tho.
Btw, seems like he is almost the only one still alive of Neon's bodyguards. Along with Kurapica, Senritsu and Linsen.

And yeah, I find Senritsu rather cute. As much as she can be, that is. Cause when she firstly appeared in manga, she wasn't cute at all =(
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Oh you mean THAT kind of Hunter. Weird choice of word when reading a manga called Hunter X Hunter xD
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I think Sawashiro Miyuki is doing a great job with Kurapika. Like, seriously, the voice acting in this episode was definitely a highlight of it. :) MH is doing an EXCELLENT job of characterizing all of our characters, and Kurapika is no exception with Sawashiro's talent. People may complain about how this version is so light-hearted compared to the '99, but really, it's not. The manga itself has a light-hearted feel with very very dark undertones, well, until you reach a certain part at least. Then it just gets downright, effing brutal.

Manga stuffs:

See, I think this is the reason why I blocked most of them from memory after Yorkshin (I'm sorry Nostrade employees, I really did like reading you though).
This is how I felt about a lot of the Chimera Ant Arc. It's the one arc I can't recall moments from, and had to read a few extra times to really digest it. :< I didn't have issues with YS, though. I liked the brutality.
 

Guru981

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2007
Messages
82
Reaction score
21
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
This definitely isn't more light-hearted than the 99 version. Compared to the manga it is though. It's a shame they have to show it on Sunday mornings...
 

You Say

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2009
Messages
240
Reaction score
618
Gender
Male
Country
Czech Republic
Question: Do you think Kurapika's VA is doing a good job at showing his cold side and how much of a ticking time bomb he is?
Nice question. In general I have to admit she's doing pretty fine job, but in this case I really prefer Kurapika's voice from old series (I think it was Kaida Yuki, not sure though.). Still, I don't have any problem with Sawashiro. Yorkshin arc will clearly show what she's capable of. I just hope the guy in charge of direction will catch right atmosphere - That will be kind of tough.
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Oh you mean THAT kind of Hunter. Weird choice of word when reading a manga called Hunter X Hunter xD
Umm, didn't get what you meant honestly =O
Well, even if he is a pro, there is nothing strange in fighting policemen. Shalnark is a pro as well, and I don't think police loves him.

Manga stuffs:

This is how I felt about a lot of the Chimera Ant Arc. It's the one arc I can't recall moments from, and had to read a few extra times to really digest it. :< I didn't have issues with YS, though. I liked the brutality.
Yeah, I feel the same. That's the main reason I'm waiting for an anime version. I could reread it, but the english scanlate has crappy scans from Jump, and I don't really want to order the Viz translations. Russian scanlate has better tankobons scans tho but they did a horrible work translating it from english, to the point I can't even understand what the hell are they talking about =O

This definitely isn't more light-hearted than the 99 version. Compared to the manga it is though. It's a shame they have to show it on Sunday mornings...
It's the '99 version that is much more light hearted actually. But most of it's fans tend to overlook this fact =/

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Just noticed that we didn't see Nobunaga's Hatsu till now O_o Do you think we can hope for Huncyclopedia to spoil it? =D
And yeah, I don't want Huncyclopedia to disappear after the end of the season two, that is midway through YS arc =O I'd like to see them revealling all the Spiders' abillities... Honestly, they could leave it till the very end, as there are plenty of characters to be talked about. GI players/game masters, Chimera Ants, Zodiacs, etc...
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I still wonder how Madhouse gets away with everything. I mean, naked pedos on Sunday mornings?

Still, it's reassuring if they can get away with the everything they had up to this point. Yorkshin is pretty much where HxH dives a bit into a darker atmosphere.

Manga stuffs:

This is how I felt about a lot of the Chimera Ant Arc. It's the one arc I can't recall moments from, and had to read a few extra times to really digest it. :< I didn't have issues with YS, though. I liked the brutality.
I know how you feel. I speed-read the scantalations (literally; it took me four days to finish everything), and I had to reread some parts of the arc because there's a lot to take in. I think I remember that arc better than Yorkshin because it was sooooooo long.

Yorkshin is nice though, a tight and solid arc. I just find some parts forgettable, probably because I was speed-reading. I got so caught up on the Ant arc that I forgot about everything else. :p
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
They did. I was just saying that because they didn't sound like guns more like BB guns.
BB Guns? What's BB?

Oh and I almost forgot...Some gifs.

I was about to caption this one with a fart joke but...too low xD

And this one with text-message breakup :P

Madhouse LOVES this pairing, obviously...It's so canon and nothing hurts anymore <3


And well, a reminder of cool things you can do with Nen.
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
BB Guns? What's BB?
They're guns, but the bullets for them "BBs" don't travel fast enough to actually kill a person if they get hit with them. Though it'll sting quite a bit. But some people do use them to kill trespassing animals in their yard.

I have friends who use Airsoft guns, which are somewhat like BB guns to get all padded up and go out shooting at each other.

Also, nice gifs!
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
-EPISODE 39-

First, we got a new intro that talks about the six Hatsu classes. Accompanied by some familiar silhouettes



On the content, both versions started adapting chapter 83 which includes Kurapika's training. But which one was done better?

The first thing to mention is in Nippon's adaptation (episode 45) starts with what appears to be one of Kurapika's nightmares that he described in chapter 123. But that's not the question here... the real question is why the hell is he naked and wrapped up in a chain bondage?!! This is how they depict a naked girl! NOT a man! ((Don't ask me how I know)) but let me make this clear... due to this episode (as well as other previous episodes) and the way they depicted Kurapika here, I came to conclusion that he really was meant to be a girl in Nippon's adaptation and that's why I'm going to refer to him as a 'she' in this adaptation.



Now that I got that out of the way, let's move on...

Madhouse's adaptation starts off with Kurapika's visit to the agency he visited before. In Nippon's adaptation it was during her train trip. You may not be able to see it, but this time she did make something out of her aura. In episode 40, it wasn't there, but it's here despite it being barely visible. No wonder Kurapika couldn't see it. How that heck can see a black thing over a very dark background?! When they say the old adaptation is "dark" that's not what it's supposed to be! Darkness means grim, sad, full of death etc. NOT dark colors!




We see the beginning of the training and we see the Water Deviation. As we see, there seems to be some dust in the water. Nippon's adaptation changed to crystals and she did make crystals in the water! According to the water deviation notes from chapter 63, conjurer nen creates impurities in water. Are crystals considered impurities?! We also see in the manga the color has changed which wasn't depicted in the anime. In Nippon's adaptation Kurapika tries more than once while in the manga and MH adaptation was for one time only.





Kurapika's "I want to be stronger" line was made into a flashback from episode 30 instead of mentioned verbally by Mizuken. In the Nippon's adaptation it was a reference to what she said after the second water deviation attempt.

-Panel 1-
- "You told me before..."

-Panel 2-
- "... you wanted the power to fight to the end by yourself."





Nippon's adaptation showed us Kurapika's broken swords



Madhouse's adaptation for some reason decided to skip the following two pages about the ratios and the difference between the enhancer and conjurer.

=Page 1=
-Panel 1-
-"And say both of you and your enemy's physical strengths have a value of 100." - "The enemy is an enhancer with 100% mastery."

-Panel 2-
-"And he..."

-Panel 3-
-"...reinforces his fist with 100% of his nen, and punches you with all he's got."

-Panel 4-
-"This would be the equation..." - "...That represents it." (AP=Flesh Punch), (SP=Nen Reinforcement)

-Panel 5-
-"With your nen abilities..." - "... you can only reinforce the body with 60% efficiency."

-Panel 6-
-(DP=Physical Defence), (SP=Nen Reinforcement)

-Panel 7-
-"In other words..."


=Page 2:=
-Panel 1-
-"... you'd get damage worth 40 points even if you block the attack.

-Panel 2-
-"If you get in a fistfight with a master enhancer..." - "...you'll have little chance."

-Panel 3-
-"Of course, this is overly simplified." - "Nobody's exactly equal in strength. How you feel day to day will affect you, as well as where you're fighting, and its context."

-Panel 4-
-"Nen is even more complex."

-Panel 5-
-"Joy, sadness, fear, hatred, carelessness, devotion, excitement, doubt, pleasure, shame, determination,- All the emotions you're capable of factor into nen." - "It might enable something beyond 100%"


Nippon's adaptation did keep the equations, but they didn't explain what AP, SP and DP stands for. The emotion scene didn't show us the avatar from the manga.




Nippon's adaptation omitted this panel

-"A conjurer is often not as balanced in offence and defense compared to an enhancer." - "On the other hand, you could be formidable if you find your groove."

Both version has ended the scene before Kurapika says what he wants to conjure. Mizuken asks her in Nippon's adaption.



Next comes Kurapika's second visit to the agency. Madhouse added a flashback of Hisoka's message from the Hunter Exam. That wasn't in the manga. There was also a brief filler moment showing the agent's reaction to his eyes. Nippon's adaptation showed this scene at the end of episode 45 and the beginning of episode 48 without showing the end until a later time.




We go back to the training for a brief moment, and back to present time and see someone else. It's Senretsu! ((Or Melody depending on your translation)) And she came to the same agency as well!




Then we go and see some other characters... first is Baise and her ability


Then we see Basho who looks like he's having a rough time



Then we see Squala and his dogs along with Shachmono ((Who I used to call him Lupin before memorizing his name))



Nippon's adaptation made the first encounter between Kurapika and Senretsu in the train as well as a preview of his ability the same was as Baise's filler. Let's see how it was...

The first thing that caught my eyes was the board here. At first it looks like gibberish, but when you mirror the image, that's Italian text (Or so I think)



Kurapika meets Senretsu later and have some conversations



Until we get a plot about some thugs trying to steal Kurapika's Hunter License. We see Kurapika's "Guiding Ring Finger" that he used to block the bullets the same way used in Nostrade's castle in chapter 68.






We go back to canon material, but not before a filler scene of Kurapika putting her contacts on in episode 48 and recalling the yet incomplete meeting with the agent.


Here we see a close up of Kurapika's chains. They lack details in Madhouse's adaptation and the color is different. In Nippon's adaptation she also carries a bag while he didn't have anything in the manga and MH's adaptation.








Some art between the three versions





The whole team


In Nippon's adaptation, Baise wanted to kiss Kurapika ((And if you came out of your conclusion that he's a girl from episode 45, then that makes a bit creepy...!!))



A chat between her and Senretsu



Hmm, I wonder who that could be?



Another chat with the rest.


And back to the character we just saw



And here's Dalzollene. Madhouse didn't show his two servants, and instead of a normal big-sized monitor they made it a hidden screen within a portrait.





Here we have the details of the list in picture. In the manga they were just text and only the eyes that got highlighted. Nippon's adaptation showed the rest of the meeting with the agent, but they changed the last part to include the list from the card as well as a filler scene following that.





-"Third, a flesh collector... seeking a mint-condition hide with a full-body tattoo of a rising dragon. A head of a child with a jelly syndrome, etc...." - "Nasty hobby, huh?"


The conversation with Basho was also different. In the manga he made a comment about the list, but instead in Madhouse's adaptation he comments about the Kurta eyes and says the information from the list. Nippon's adaptation described the eyes using Kurapika's voice.

-Panel 1-
-"You look pale." - "Getting queasy?"

-Panel 2-
-"That's only the beginning. They're all legal to own." - "It'll get worse once we're officially hired." - "Think preserved corpses carrying the deadliest pathogen."

-Panel 3-
-"My craziest client ever wanted a newborn-"
-"Quiet."

-Panel 4-
-"Don't talk to me."





Dalzollene gives the guys a six minutes period to be prepared for a test. In the manga and Madhouse's adaptation it was a surprise attack. Also the bottler in Nippon's adaptation leaves the room before it starts. The rest of the time is everyone examining the place and deciding their targets.






And because the butler left, he wasn't used as a human shield by Baise. Looks like along with the people with special needs they don't want to kill elders! Even though they showed Bodoro get killed...!




Here we can see that each ring got its own pattern.




Hunterpedia:



Overall, I think Madhouse gave a better presentation than Nippon. Nippon's episode 45 had a very annoying problem with scene transition. They couldn't hold a scene for a long period of time and always cut before it ends and that annoyed the hell out of me! Not to mention Kurapika's gender confusion caused by the episode and the way she gained her ability does not match how it was described in chapter 123, but that'll be for another time.

8/10
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top