Anime Hunter X Hunter New Anime Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Basically what you stated is exactly why Madhouse did that.. lol
People who watch the anime only don't know if the characters are fodder or not.
Making us care about characters who will die off soon is a GOOD idea. Why? Because what do we care if fodder die?
But if people start to become fans of the characters they'll be disappointed when they die so soon. AND THAT'S A GOOD THING.

In stories you want people to care about the characters.
I know it is important to care for characters.That is why Madhouse is making us care for them.But after a while , it get pretty annoying and sad when the characters drop dead like flies.And after a while ,you will get immune to them.And then the anime fan would know how Togashi troll.
 

riniloves

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
224
Reaction score
179
Gender
Hidden
Country
Philippines
I disagree.
She isn't that young, she looks at least like a 13 years old girl. And the Hunterpedia says she is 16 years old (though I don't know the source).

Also, she doesn't care about people death:
WARNING FULL OF SPOILERS AND SOME OPINION OF MINE.
Neon maybe a spoiled rich brat but characters like her change throughout the series, like Killua, both Neon and Killua came from a rich family, their parents are bad influence to their children, you cant expect them to change over night.
Both characters have experience attitude transformation when they first set out..
For example remember Killua?
He first set out and he was happy.

Neon sets out on her own, and experience first hand how touching this world is
and how cruel it is also
(without the girl noticing completely coz she is a teenager with childish attitudes)

After those events she started to have sympathy with people starting Squalla's death, it means she care about Eliza.

and is even eager to work for the family

last time we saw her she needs to be convinced
I understand why she didnt cry for him, that guy treated her like a bird in a cage for a long time, Neon wants freedom from them. And the usual excuse that its her families bad influence on her coz they were at the mafia. I think Dalzorne is the same as Kurapika whow ants to be close to the boss and gain control or influence them. All of them are the same.

I always have a theory before that the Nostrade family didnt started out rich, but leads to a n event that change their lives, awakening Neon's hatsu. For me its impossible for them to have nen coz they aint a family who is expert on those things while in Alluka's case I guess its just normal for him/her to awaken his/her nen coz s/he is surrounded by nen users.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I know it is important to care for characters.That is why Madhouse is making us care for them.But after a while , it get pretty annoying and sad when the characters drop dead like flies.And after a while ,you will get immune to them.And then the anime fan would know how Togashi troll.
On the contrary I think it makes it more intense. Because if characters we care about die then other characters we care about could die too. Also I think if you care about the characters it WON'T be like dead flies because who cares about flies? I don't think seeing people you care about dying makes you immune to the experience. Besides it's not like everyone dies in the arc. There's plenty of survivors to keep you on your toes. It's not so much "who will die?" but rather "who will survive?". The former is a more tragic feeling and the latter is a more worrisome feeling. One question the viewer will ask during this arc is if Kurapika will even survive. The odds are against him.
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Wow, don't we all love the spoiler tags? Lol. I wonder how the anime-only watchers feel when reading through this thread. Those spoiler tags look tempting. :derp

lots of stuff

I always have a theory before that the Nostrade family didnt started out rich, but leads to a n event that change their lives, awakening Neon's hatsu. For me its impossible for them to have nen coz they aint a family who is expert on those things while in Alluka's case I guess its just normal for him/her to awaken his/her nen coz s/he is surrounded by nen users.
I had this impression too while reading the manga. I always thought Neon's hatsu was what brought them success. Her father is practically completely dependent on her hatsu.

I think this also influenced Neon's character as a whole. I think she's bratty at first because she gets everything that she wants. Her father lets her have anything since she (or rather, her hatsu) is pretty much the key to their success. I firmly believe that without her hatsu, the Nostrades would be nothing. Thus, Neon is spoiled to the core. Couple that with her upbringing and lifestyle. It's not difficult for me to see how Neon turned out thew way she did. Though she did get better throughout the arc. She was just sheltered and spoiled at first.

On a non-spoilery note, I'm getting kinda excited. I always thought I'd dislike Neon, but I never actually did.

On the contrary I think it makes it more intense. Because if characters we care about die then other characters we care about could die too. Also I think if you care about the characters it WON'T be like dead flies because who cares about flies? I don't think seeing people you care about dying makes you immune to the experience. Besides it's not like everyone dies in the arc. There's plenty of survivors to keep you on your toes. It's not so much "who will die?" but rather "who will survive?". The former is a more tragic feeling and the latter is a more worrisome feeling. One question the viewer will ask during this arc is if Kurapika will even survive. The odds are against him.
This. Completely.

This is actually why I believe any of the main characters, Gon especially, could die at any given moment. I was actually afraid he would die (or get seriously hurt/put in a coma) during the Ant arc. Heck, I even thought that during Greed Island. And guess what? He did get seriously injured. Both times. He should be dead right now if not for all the healing deus ex machinas available.

(I really can't wait for Madhouse to get to the part where he's in the hospital. They need to give justice to that awful vegetative state of his. With that horrifying, shriveled up, barely-looks-like-a hand. And to Killua's expression afterwards. *shudders.*)

I'm still afraid that he might die. I feel like Togashi can do anything to him. Or to any of the characters, really.
 

majinjeb

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
91
Reaction score
70
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This is actually why I believe any of the main characters, Gon especially, could die at any given moment. I was actually afraid he would die (or get seriously hurt/put in a coma) during the Ant arc. Heck, I even thought that during Greed Island. And guess what? He did get seriously injured. Both times. He should be dead right now if not for all the healing deus ex machinas available.

(I really can't wait for Madhouse to get to the part where he's in the hospital. They need to give justice to that awful vegetative state of his. With that horrifying, shriveled up, barely-looks-like-a hand. And to Killua's expression afterwards. *shudders.*)

I'm still afraid that he might die. I feel like Togashi can do anything to him. Or to any of the characters, really.
I like how at the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc you (or at least I did) have this feeling of impending doom. This was when Gon, Killua, and Kaito were looking around and started fighting some of the ants. I was like "just finish the fight and get back to the border to regroup". Kind of like when there is no save point and you are trying to go back to the last one, with your health dwindling.

As for the deus ex machinas, I don't consider the healing of his hands on GI to be one. He knew there were recovery spells. Had he not, then I would consider it a deus ex machina. Nanika on the other hand... there's no denying that one.

As for censoring, in the Chimera Ant arc there was one Hunter who got his head cut off and it was censored (with scribbles). Was that in the Japanese version?
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I like how at the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc you (or at least I did) have this feeling of impending doom. This was when Gon, Killua, and Kaito were looking around and started fighting some of the ants. I was like "just finish the fight and get back to the border to regroup". Kind of like when there is no save point and you are trying to go back to the last one, with your health dwindling.

As for the deus ex machinas, I don't consider the healing of his hands on GI to be one. He knew there were recovery spells. Had he not, then I would consider it a deus ex machina. Nanika on the other hand... there's no denying that one.
I hate it when that happens in video games. :-_-

Though I agree with what you said. The Ant arc really set us up for this atmosphere of impending doom. The hopelessness was suffocating. I loved it.

And okay, the healing card (Angel's Breath, was it?) in GI wasn't a deus ex machina. I was referring more to Nanika. She wasn't foreshadowed at all. Or was she? If she was, I did not see her coming. At all.

It's a good thing I enjoyed the Election Arc (Pariston and Ging OMG :zomg) or I would have been much more annoyed.

As for censoring, in the Chimera Ant arc there was one Hunter who got his head cut off and it was censored (with scribbles). Was that in the Japanese version?
Not sure. I think I saw some scans of this in here or some other forum where the Japanese volumes had it censored too.

Oh wait, I was thinking about something else (Killua's killing spree). Okay, I don't know. Sorry. Though I would think the Japanese volumes censored it too.

Does anyone know when Leorio will show up again? I forget which chapter (Yorkshin's pretty hazy for me at the moment), but I'd appreciate an estimated episode number. I kinda miss him.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,708
Reaction score
61,410
Gender
Male
Country
France
This is actually why I believe any of the main characters, Gon especially, could die at any given moment. I was actually afraid he would die (or get seriously hurt/put in a coma) during the Ant arc. Heck, I even thought that during Greed Island. And guess what? He did get seriously injured. Both times. He should be dead right now if not for all the healing deus ex machinas available.

(I really can't wait for Madhouse to get to the part where he's in the hospital. They need to give justice to that awful vegetative state of his. With that horrifying, shriveled up, barely-looks-like-a hand. And to Killua's expression afterwards. *shudders.*)

I'm still afraid that he might die. I feel like Togashi can do anything to him. Or to any of the characters, really.
I am more afraid for Killua and Kurapika.Killua especially,what Silva said about his return constantly haunts me since Election arc,and if Alluka dies idk what he will do.I am afraid he becomes an antagonist and be killed by Gon.

But the thing who afraid me the most is Gon mental state,he could become really dangerous later.Killua has always been the one who is able to Gon but he is not with him now,Killua's travels with Gon have been extremely beneficial for him,he is now more independent and has a goal.But Gon has always been independent and i conclude that he needs to be with someone who can calm him because when he will get more power his attitude will harm many persons.
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Does anyone know when Leorio will show up again? I forget which chapter (Yorkshin's pretty hazy for me at the moment), but I'd appreciate an estimated episode number. I kinda miss him.
He should be returning in the next episode already as it covers chapter 71.
 

majinjeb

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
91
Reaction score
70
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The Ant arc really set us up for this atmosphere of impending doom. The hopelessness was suffocating. I loved it.
That is why it's my favorite arc. Especially

when Netero shows up and admits he might not be able to take on Pitou (I think 'OH SHIT' came to mind when he said it). Then he goes into training and the awesomeness that is Netero happens.

I hope they animate the Chimera Ant arc.
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I am more afraid for Killua and Kurapika.Killua especially,what Silva said about his return constantly haunts me since Election arc,and if Alluka dies idk what he will do.I am afraid he becomes an antagonist and be killed by Gon.

But the thing who afraid me the most is Gon mental state,he could become really dangerous later.Killua has always been the one who is able to Gon but he is not with him now,Killua's travels with Gon have been extremely beneficial for him,he is now more independent and has a goal.But Gon has always been independent and i conclude that he needs to be with someone who can calm him because when he will get more power his attitude will harm many persons.
Early on in the Zoldyck mini-arc (when Gon was rescuing Killua), Silva mentioned something along the lines of Killua coming back. That's why he let him go with Gon. That intrigues me a lot.

This is how I see it. Killua is the most fragile of the four emotionally (at least when it comes to the people he cares about, like Gon and Alluka). I'm afraid of the time he might come to a breaking point. I'm seriously dreading if Killua will ever come to this point. I don't think he will become an antagonist, but I don't know what will become of him. And this scares me.

Kurapika is harshest of the four, in the sense that he's an asshole who will stop at nothing to get his revenge (as long as his friends don't get in trouble through his actions). What's scary about him is his ruthlessness and directness. He has an iron will, which is both admirable and frightening. I don't think I need to expand on this since this has already been discussed, and we will see much of this in Yorkshin anyway.

Gon is the most dangerous of the four because... well, for a lot of reasons. But mostly because of his mentality (that I will not explain here lest I derail this thread further) and recklessness. And this goes Up To Eleven when he's emotionally disturbed (like when he was all RAAAAAGE over Pitou). I've already said I'm scared that he'll die, because there's a huge possibility that he can at any moment. If he doesn't get killed by circumstances or other people, he might destroy himself.

Leorio is the most normal and stable of the four. I love him. If there's anything for me to fear for this guy, it's that he might not appear as much in the manga or the anime :p. It's still my dream that he gets his own spin-off. Something like his clinic days or something. I don't know.

I just realized that I could be more scared of/for the main characters than the myriad of antagonists in the series. Interesting.

He should be returning in the next episode already as it covers chapter 71.
I see. Then I should really read up on Yorkshin again if I hardly remember anything like this at all anymore.

Or maybe I shouldn't and just see how Madhouse will impress me. Hm...
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Yeah, agreed on Chimera Ant arc. It's great because of its atmosphere of uneasiness, or rather hopelessness. I think in that case it is similar to YS and that's why those two arcs stand out for me. Even tho my fav is GI lol xD
 

SHINOBI-03

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2009
Messages
839
Reaction score
2,420
Age
37
Gender
Male
^Yeah, same goes for Nobunaga and Hanzo.

I was rereading YS arc and I was just wondering...
http://i19.mangareader.net/hunter-x-hunter/87/hunter-x-hunter-324964.jpg
Here Gon says that giving aura to an object is called Ten. Is that a Edited Manga error or not? Now I don't get the Nen system...

In Viz's translation Gon says "Surrounding things with aura is called Ten". Which is true from what we've seen. Ten surrounds the body with aura. But it's not the same as "giving"


 
Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,708
Reaction score
61,410
Gender
Male
Country
France

Salce

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
324
Reaction score
338
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
WARNING FULL OF SPOILERS AND SOME OPINION OF MINE.
Neon maybe a spoiled rich brat but characters like her change throughout the series, like Killua, both Neon and Killua came from a rich family, their parents are bad influence to their children, you cant expect them to change over night.
Both characters have experience attitude transformation when they first set out..
For example remember Killua?
He first set out and he was happy.

Neon sets out on her own, and experience first hand how touching this world is
and how cruel it is also
(without the girl noticing completely coz she is a teenager with childish attitudes)

After those events she started to have sympathy with people starting Squalla's death, it means she care about Eliza.

and is even eager to work for the family

last time we saw her she needs to be convinced
I understand why she didnt cry for him, that guy treated her like a bird in a cage for a long time, Neon wants freedom from them. And the usual excuse that its her families bad influence on her coz they were at the mafia. I think Dalzorne is the same as Kurapika whow ants to be close to the boss and gain control or influence them. All of them are the same.

I always have a theory before that the Nostrade family didnt started out rich, but leads to a n event that change their lives, awakening Neon's hatsu. For me its impossible for them to have nen coz they aint a family who is expert on those things while in Alluka's case I guess its just normal for him/her to awaken his/her nen coz s/he is surrounded by nen users.
You convinced me.

There is an evolution in Neon as a character. I hadn't realised it until now.
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
^Yeah, thanks, I forgot that Shu is an extension of Ten. I've just misunderstood "giving your aura to an object" as "giving orders with your aura to an object" which is clearly Hatsu.
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I have a lot to catch up on in the mornings. Yay, timezones~

On the subject of Neon: I didn't have too many issues with her, really. I always saw her as a childish, spoiled brat, but didn't dislike her. I thought she was cute, and always saw her personality as a result of her upbringing. As others have mentioned before, I don't think she's aware how her hobbies affect other people.

Maybe this has changed since Kurapika's been the head bodyguard/confidant/financial advisor/whatever?

It seems Togashi likes the idea of sheltered children and shattering innocence. I mean, look at Yu Yu Hakusho, though we don't get the sheltered kids, we get the theme of darkness/light and shattering innocence (ala Itsuki (?) and Sensui), and the Ant arc had this overarching theme of shattering innocence

For Gon, at least. Even after Killua tried protecting him from it.

Here have now 3 sheltered kids. Gon, and as a result, he's just naive (if he didn't have Leorio or Killua with him, he'd be screwed). Killua, though he could survive on his own, was a ruthless killer on the level of Hisoka, and now we have Neon.

But the thing who afraid me the most is Gon mental state,he could become really dangerous later.Killua has always been the one who is able to Gon but he is not with him now,Killua's travels with Gon have been extremely beneficial for him,he is now more independent and has a goal.But Gon has always been independent and i conclude that he needs to be with someone who can calm him because when he will get more power his attitude will harm many persons.

This, to an extent. Killua's been able to ground Gon when he gets upset. It's like he has Gon on a very loose leash, and enjoys his fights, but he also keeps him in check if he gets out of line, or does something naive that could really hurt him in the long run. Killua's like a protective, caring older brother to Gon. However, I don't think Gon will become an outright antagonist, or go to the darkside, BUT I do feel like he might get in over his head and end up in serious danger.

Early on in the Zoldyck mini-arc (when Gon was rescuing Killua), Silva mentioned something along the lines of Killua coming back. That's why he let him go with Gon. That intrigues me a lot.

This is how I see it. Killua is the most fragile of the four emotionally (at least when it comes to the people he cares about, like Gon and Alluka). I'm afraid of the time he might come to a breaking point. I'm seriously dreading if Killua will ever come to this point. I don't think he will become an antagonist, but I don't know what will become of him. And this scares me.

Kurapika is harshest of the four, in the sense that he's an asshole who will stop at nothing to get his revenge (as long as his friends don't get in trouble through his actions). What's scary about him is his ruthlessness and directness. He has an iron will, which is both admirable and frightening. I don't think I need to expand on this since this has already been discussed, and we will see much of this in Yorkshin anyway.

Gon is the most dangerous of the four because... well, for a lot of reasons. But mostly because of his mentality (that I will not explain here lest I derail this thread further) and recklessness. And this goes Up To Eleven when he's emotionally disturbed (like when he was all RAAAAAGE over Pitou). I've already said I'm scared that he'll die, because there's a huge possibility that he can at any moment. If he doesn't get killed by circumstances or other people, he might destroy himself.

Leorio is the most normal and stable of the four. I love him. If there's anything for me to fear for this guy, it's that he might not appear as much in the manga or the anime . It's still my dream that he gets his own spin-off. Something like his clinic days or something. I don't know.

I just realized that I could be more scared of/for the main characters than the myriad of antagonists in the series. Interesting.
I agree with everything here. No surprise since we think alike. XD

Though, out of the four, I'd also add that Killua is the most intimidating, and he can be harsh when he goes into assassin-mode. Where Kurapika is the harshest, and Gon the most dangerous. And Leorio the most "normal" and emotionally stable one of them all.

Regarding Killua, I want to see someone REALLY important to him die, like Alluka or Gon. But Alluka moreso. Because I'm really interested in how he will act. Aside from those two, and fear of those two dying, he's pretty emotionally grounded. I kinda want to see Hisoka or Illumi kill Alluka, piss off Killua, and Killua go apeshit. We've seen him pissed off, we've seen him scared shitless, we've seen him be a ruthless, cold killer (ant arc killing spree <3), we've seen him cheerful, and we've seen him in serious situations. But we haven't seen him pissed off to the level that Gon was pissed off facing against Pitou, and I'm curious to see how a similar situation would affect him. This will be especially interesting because Killua, although he's made great progress to living a cleaner lifestyle, hasn't completely rid himself of his ruthless, killer side.

I don't think he'd pull a Sasuke and be an antagonist, but I want to see how his view of the world would change because he is quite young. I'm sure Kaito's "death", and Gon's brutal killing of Pitou, changed Gon's worldview, which we have yet to see.

Also.... Need. More. Leorio. Now. Hell, if our other 3 main characters because all emotionally unstable, they'll need someone to ground them. And Leorio will be the one to do it.

----------------------------------------------------------

Regarding character deaths... I was more afraid for Killua during the ant arc than Gon. I was most afraid for Novu, Shoot, and Morau, especially during the invasion arc. I felt like Togashi could've killed any of those three at any given time. At this point, I don't think either Gon or Killua will die. At the end of the series, maybe.

----------------------------------------------------

So, I was curious on everyone's opinions on this. Thus far, how well do you think MH is doing characterizing the characters from the manga? I know we touched a little bit on Kurapika, but what about everyone else? Opinions?
 
Last edited:

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
So, I was curious on everyone's opinions on this. Thus far, how well do you think MH is doing characterizing the characters from the manga? I know we touched a little bit on Kurapika, but what about everyone else? Opinions?
I think they've done a much better job than Nippon Animation. The bigger issue is maybe Zoldycks' arc when Killua was kinda OOC while waiting for Gon to come rescue him even though he could have ran away at any time. But that is so much better than the split-personality emo Killua from 1999 adaptation. It seems like Nippon love making emos from characters huh?
 
Last edited:

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,708
Reaction score
61,410
Gender
Male
Country
France
So, I was curious on everyone's opinions on this. Thus far, how well do you think MH is doing characterizing the characters from the manga? I know we touched a little bit on Kurapika, but what about everyone else? Opinions?
Actually they are characterizing them perfectly,all fillers they add correspond to their personality,they are TRUE FANS.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top