Anime Hunter X Hunter New Anime Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I agree with everything here. No surprise since we think alike. XD
I was smiling while reading your post because of how uncannily alike our thoughts are.

Though, out of the four, I'd also add that Killua is the most intimidating, and he can be harsh when he goes into assassin-mode. Where Kurapika is the harshest, and Gon the most dangerous. And Leorio the most "normal" and emotionally stable one of them all.

Regarding Killua, I want to see someone REALLY important to him die, like Alluka or Gon. But Alluka moreso. Because I'm really interested in how he will act. Aside from those two, and fear of those two dying, he's pretty emotionally grounded. I kinda want to see Hisoka or Illumi kill Alluka, piss off Killua, and Killua go apeshit. We've seen him pissed off, we've seen him scared shitless, we've seen him be a ruthless, cold killer (ant arc killing spree <3), we've seen him cheerful, and we've seen him in serious situations. But we haven't seen him pissed off to the level that Gon was pissed off facing against Pitou, and I'm curious to see how a similar situation would affect him. This will be especially interesting because Killua, although he's made great progress to living a cleaner lifestyle, hasn't completely rid himself of his ruthless, killer side.

I don't think he'd pull a Sasuke and be an antagonist, but I want to see how his view of the world would change because he is quite young. I'm sure Kaito's "death", and Gon's brutal killing of Pitou, changed Gon's worldview, which we have yet to see.

Also.... Need. More. Leorio. Now. Hell, if our other 3 main characters because all emotionally unstable, they'll need someone to ground them. And Leorio will be the one to do it.
THIS. EVERYTHING HERE.

As much as I'm afraid to see this happen, I also want to see this happen. As much as I don't want Alluka to die, I want to see her die just to see Killua's reaction. (Better her than Gon at least). And if this happened while Gon and Killua are still separated... ;_;

This is conflicting.

And I kinda like how he hasn't shaken off his killing tendencies. It's much more convincing for me.

Regarding character deaths... I was more afraid for Killua during the ant arc than Gon. I was most afraid for Novu, Shoot, and Morau, especially during the invasion arc. I felt like Togashi could've killed any of those three at any given time. At this point, I don't think either Gon or Killua will die. At the end of the series, maybe.
Shoot. I was most afraid for this guy. I really thought he was going to die in that fight. Of all the Ant arc characters, I really thought he was the most likely to kick the bucket. And Novu's mental breakdown was just... argh.

The ant arc just induces all these feelings for me, you see. I do hope this gets animated along with the Election arc. Then I will spazz out like no tomorrow. Imagine seeing Pouf and his sensitive, butterfly self animated. :zomg

So, I was curious on everyone's opinions on this. Thus far, how well do you think MH is doing characterizing the characters from the manga? I know we touched a little bit on Kurapika, but what about everyone else? Opinions?
I think they're spot on. I really like how they characterized Gon in the Hunter Exam arc. They were on point with the manga with all the subtle characterizations. To me, Gon's characterizations are mostly (and should be) subtle in the early episodes. Madhouse is doing a great job here.

And we all know Killua has a myriad of expressions in this anime. I like how he's cheeky here, but able to get serious when needed to (Sadaso threats, anyone?). I've always seen him as cheeky when he's not pissed off.

Hisoka is pervy (perhaps too pervy for others' tastes), and Daisuke Namikawa is amazing. I can't complain with this guy. Likewise, Illumi isn't half-bad either.

Speaking of Sadaso, I also like how they characterized the minor characters like Canary, Zushi, Wing, Gido, Sadaso, and Riehvelt. And the other Hunters, like Menchi, Satotz <3, Pokkle :teehee, and Hanzo. And yeah, the Nostrade employees. Ang Kikyo. I just love that woman; her '11 anime counterpart really impressed me with all her frantic, crazy-mother personality. They become more than one diemensional, and the audience actually notices them more as characters and less as "people who happen to be there for plot/possibly filler purposes."

I think we also need to give props to the VAs. They're wonderful. Just wonderful.

I probably have minor complaints, but I can't recall them right now. So yes, in summary, Madhouse is doing a great job overall. I'll shut up now. Post is getting way too long again.

I think they've done a much better job than Nippon Animation. The bigger issue is maybe Zoldycks' arc when Killua was kinda OOC while waiting for Gon to come rescue him even though he could have ran away at any time. But that is so much better than the split-personality emo Killua from 1999 adaptation. It seems like Nippon love making emos from characters huh?
Oh split-personality Killua. How you amuse me so. <3
 
Last edited:

TheAmericandream

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2012
Messages
521
Reaction score
152
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think foreshadowing the stuff with the Nostrade bodyguard who was tied up in episode 40, takes away from the shock of omg what is that THING, that we see later on. Having it be explained to us after being shocked by it makes it eery and morbid. You wonder what happened, the new version probably doesn't ruin that, but I didn't think foreshadowing it was at all necessary. But we'll see how episode 41 plays out.

I think Madhouse has done a good (often fantastic job) with doing most everything especially since the end of the Zoldyck arc. It has me very hopeful of what's to come.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Neon is just a child, I honestly don't think she's a bad person at all. Selfish I suppose, and odd. But its not like she knows people die to get her what she wants, she just likes collecting odd corpses/bodyparts. To get used to her new hair maybe I should draw some more fan art, I've always enjoyed her character design, and her Slimer/Stand esque Hatsu
I think foreshadowing the stuff with the Nostrade bodyguard who was tied up in episode 40, takes away from the shock of omg what is that THING, that we see later on. Having it be explained to us after being shocked by it makes it eery and morbid. You wonder what happened, the new version probably doesn't ruin that, but I didn't think foreshadowing it was at all necessary. But we'll see how episode 41 plays out.

I think Madhouse has done a good (often fantastic job) with doing most everything especially since the end of the Zoldyck arc. It has me very hopeful of what's to come.
I think you misunderstood. When I say Neon is sick and twisted I didn't mean evil. I think she is innocent in the sense she has poor role model and terrible environment. However that doesn't change how messed up she is. But I don't think she is as naive as you might think. She is able to figure out when
her father is lying to her. I don't think it's much of a stretch for her to realize what else is going on. Like that people die to get her what she wants.
I think she DOES know. She doesn't care since 1. she's greedy and 2. lacks a moral code. Both of which I think are the fault of Light Nostrade.

I take it as a different approach. Madhouse adds humanity. Togashi makes us wonder.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
As far as Madhouse is doing with characters....

You know when I first heard about the reboot I wasn't pleased. I wanted the Chimera Ant Arc animated.
But now I'm GLAD that I have this reboot because not only is it great but it gives me another chance
to reflect on the characters and events again. And since I've read the manga (and seen the old 99 anime)
I have different perspective than new viewers. But it's cool how some things stay the same.

I don't think Madhouse has done a perfect job on the characters. But I don't think that's possible without getting rid of the censorship....which ain't happening.

But even with the censorship, Madhouse has done an amazing job portraying these characters.

Truth be told however much I was a HxH fan before...I think I'm 100x fold times that now. :D

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Some more gifs from the latest episode.


]
Interesting, notice how the nen assistant is about to attack Tocino but then "changes it mind" and goes after Melody instead?

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

too lazy to make this into a meme or whatever



Kurapika "I'll find the PLANT in the room."





Melody "What?"



Kurapika "hmmm"



"HMMMM...."
 

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
There are certainly small changes in characterization that I can see in MH's adaptation, but they're still pretty close to their manga counterparts. So far Leorio is pretty much the same, Gon's pretty much the same. Kurapika is a little more terse at the moment, but it's not a major difference. And Killua is a little brattier in this version (I can't see where he called Wing-san "four eyes" in the manga), but he's pretty much the same cheeky, reliable, and badass ex-assassin.

Overall MH is doing a pretty good job. I do have to give them huge kudos to their animation and VA choice for Hisoka. Namikawa Daisuke is doing a splendid job with Hisoka, and despite all the censorship around his killing sprees, they're doing a great job portraying him in this adaptation.
 
Last edited:

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2012
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
1,186
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Ah, thanks! I was perusing through those parts, and didn't catch it.
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
TI do have to give them huge kudos to their animation and VA choice for Hisoka. Namikawa Daisuke is doing a splendid job with Hisoka, and despite all the censorship around his killing sprees, they're doing a great job portraying him in this adaptation.
EXACTLY. When I first read manga, I was imagining Hisoka's voice something like that. And then his old VA seemed a bit off for me... I got used to it later though, but now THIS is what I was waiting for. Not only he feels like a pervert, but he also sounds dangerous. The old VA couldn't make Hisoka sound dangerous imo, he only was a pedo, but that's all.
 

Akia999

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
1,095
Reaction score
905
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
On the contrary I think it makes it more intense. Because if characters we care about die then other characters we care about could die too. Also I think if you care about the characters it WON'T be like dead flies because who cares about flies? I don't think seeing people you care about dying makes you immune to the experience. Besides it's not like everyone dies in the arc. There's plenty of survivors to keep you on your toes. It's not so much "who will die?" but rather "who will survive?". The former is a more tragic feeling and the latter is a more worrisome feeling. One question the viewer will ask during this arc is if Kurapika will even survive. The odds are against him.
In a way ,I do agree with you, particularly about the surviving part. Now that i think about it,when I first started watching the nippon adaptation ,Squala's death actually suprised me and I did feel sad for his death.But once I started reading the chimera ant arc ,people were dying left and right, and i really stop caring for character death.Even Kaito's (supposed) death didn't really make me sad.Though his death did proof even that the most popular character wouldn't be spared. And if the character do survived through one of the arc and reappear again in another arc ,Togashi would decide to kill some of them.(Gotoh ,Pokkle ,Ponzu) .Death in this manga is pretty serious and is permanent except for Kaito's case.

As for the bolded part, I know i did say earlier on that Togashi don't spared even the most popular character.But killing off any of the IMPORTANT main character is suicidal for the manga.Togashi isn't that crazy! They just simply can't die. Would anybody read Bleach if Ichigo die? (But then again he can't actually "die") Would anyone read Naruto if naruto die? Maybe Togashi can may it work (killing off one of the main character) but some people are going to stop reading it .Even when Gon was dying in the hospital ,I know someway or another he will survive .(Though not exactly happy about the deus ex machina) If there was a manga that is still extremely popular despite killing off its main characters ,I would like to know the title.
 

majinjeb

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
91
Reaction score
70
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Interesting, notice how the nen assistant is about to attack Tocino but then "changes it mind" and goes after Melody instead?
It looks to me like it swings, misses Melody, then goes after her.

I like the minimal movement Squala uses for avoiding the attack. It made me think of Ippo.
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
As for the bolded part, I know i did say earlier on that Togashi don't spared even the most popular character.But killing off any of the IMPORTANT main character is suicidal for the manga.Togashi isn't that crazy! They just simply can't die. Would anybody read Bleach if Ichigo die? (But then again he can't actually "die") Would anyone read Naruto if naruto die? Maybe Togashi can may it work (killing off one of the main character) but some people are going to stop reading it .Even when Gon was dying in the hospital ,I know someway or another he will survive .(Though not exactly happy about the deus ex machina) If there was a manga that is still extremely popular despite killing off its main characters ,I would like to know the title.
I partly agree, but... Of course, Gon can't die. But the story actually could go on with either Killua, Kurapika or Leorio dying. The death of one of the protagonists is not impossible and it could go without reducing the popularity (the first I thought of is TTGL). But I believe the very main character can't die 'till the very end.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Something about Episode 5's narration bothers me


"For the first time in his life Gon has experienced mortal fear."


Does that mean the Foxbear attack never happened? Or was Gon just not mortally afraid then? Cause he looks pretty scared in the manga.
 

riniloves

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
224
Reaction score
179
Gender
Hidden
Country
Philippines
kindredxiuxiu said:
Here have now 3 sheltered kids. Gon, and as a result, he's just naive (if he didn't have Leorio or Killua with him, he'd be screwed). Killua, though he could survive on his own, was a ruthless killer on the level of Hisoka, and now we have Neon.
I could include Kurapika there if he and his clan really live in isolation. I could imagine Kurapika going out alone before the massacre happen. Learned that it was a nice world, in the end his views change after the massacre and many years later how mafia works.

In the future Dont forget about the innocence of
Alluka~chan, coz s/he maybe the 4th or 5th kid, the reason Killua is by his/her side by now.
 

Cinnabar

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
327
Reaction score
350
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Something about Episode 5's narration bothers me


"For the first time in his life Gon has experienced mortal fear."


Does that mean the Foxbear attack never happened? Or was Gon just not mortally afraid then? Cause he looks pretty scared in the manga.
That's strange. I would have replied and said that Gon was afraid during the foxbear attack, just not mortally so. However, Gon did look pretty scared there, so I'm not so sure.

I think what the narration in Episode 5 was trying to emphasize was how much Hisoka affected Gon. Can't be bothered to check, but this is the episode where Hisoka strangles Gon in the first phase of the Hunter Exam, correct? I remember Gon also saying that, despite the fear, he also felt excited (reminds me of something akin to adrenaline rush). I still think they should have emphasized the excitement part, but maybe that would take away the subtlety. Gon's characterizations are all about subtlety for me.

Thinking about it, Gon is in more mortal danger with Hisoka than with the foxbear. Gon is a wild child, so he could have easily escaped the foxbear. He would have probably gotten hurt as hell, but I don't think he was in danger of dying. Whereas with Hisoka, well... I doubt anyone at Gon's level could face Hisoka without realizing how dangerous the situation is (except maybe Gon himself, given his recklessness in GI). Hisoka can really snap you into two if he wanted to.

----------------------------------------------------

I just saw something. majinjeb, did you just quote me in your signature? Am I entitled to flattery and a stupid smile now? :derp

Sorry, that was kinda off-topic. Anyway.

Anyone else excited to hear the VAs of the Spiders? I'm kinda looking forward to that more than how they are animated. Probably because I'm putting faith in Madhouse to not screw up the animations. One thing I love about this anime is the variety of expressions of the characters. I hope Shalnark is always smiling. And Feitan needs to look BOSS. Judging from the character designs, I think they'll do okay with the expressions.
 
Last edited:

majinjeb

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
91
Reaction score
70
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I just saw something. majinjeb, did you just quote me in your signature? Am I entitled to flattery and a stupid smile now? :derp
You are entitled to both :) I am currently rereading HxH and I had just finished the beginning of the Chimera Ant arc
where Kaito gets defeated
when we started talking about it. What you wrote summed up exactly what I felt, so I wanted to remember it.
 
Last edited:

Popo

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2008
Messages
165
Reaction score
435
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Something about Episode 5's narration bothers me


"For the first time in his life Gon has experienced mortal fear."


Does that mean the Foxbear attack never happened? Or was Gon just not mortally afraid then? Cause he looks pretty scared in the manga.
Gon was too young to truly understand the implications behind death (which is largely what he has to learn in the Chimera Ant arc--what death truly means and how to cope with it [though I'm unconvinced that Gon has truly accepted it because he has yet to have dealt with permanent loss]). He didn't have a father around to show him the ropes. His mother taught him kindness, but he had to learn the laws of nature for himself.

Gon wouldn't have gone into the Snakebeech Woods had he known what a foxbear could do to him. Kite chastises him for this foolishness, which ultimately isn't really his fault. He was the type of innocent that loved animals for their nature, but had yet to see their evils.

I doubt that Gon had ever seen anything killed before Kite disposed of that foxbear. The only experience that Gon had with "death" was the knowledge that his parents were supposedly "dead"--which likely meant "absence" in his young, naive mind.

In Gon's first encounter with Hisoka, I don't think that the important part is whether or not that scenario is the first time that Gon experienced "mortal fear." Argue as you like regarding whether or not you believe this to be true. Rather, what is important is that Gon experienced the fear of death...and conquered it.


"Weird, isn't it? I was afraid...but I was also excited."

That scene is a curiosity in itself.

Gon isn't "the Hunted"; no mere gazelle or tiny bird constantly on the lookout for predators. Gon is a gestating "Hunter." A future tiger.
 

mrsticky005

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
2,106
Reaction score
1,585
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So...

Episode 41 July 29 To Yorknew/Yorknew Auction Begins
Episode 42 August 5th September the First Part 1 and 2 (end volume 8)

Episode 43 August 12th September The First 3 and 4
Episode 44 August 19th September The First 5 and 6

Break August 26th

Episode 45 September 2nd September the First Part 7 and September the 2nd Part 1



This is gonna be awesome since the episode actually comes out Saturday September the 1st night at like 11:30pm for me but ends at midnight September the 2nd. So it's gonna be like the manga is virtually in real time. Epic.

I really hope they do it like that. :)

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Gon was too young to truly understand the implications behind death (which is largely what he has to learn in the Chimera Ant arc--what death truly means and how to cope with it [though I'm unconvinced that Gon has truly accepted it because he has yet to have dealt with permanent loss]). He didn't have a father around to show him the ropes. His mother taught him kindness, but he had to learn the laws of nature for himself.

Gon wouldn't have gone into the Snakebeech Woods had he known what a foxbear could do to him. Kite chastises him for this foolishness, which ultimately isn't really his fault. He was the type of innocent that loved animals for their nature, but had yet to see their evils.

I doubt that Gon had ever seen anything killed before Kite disposed of that foxbear. The only experience that Gon had with "death" was the knowledge that his parents were supposedly "dead"--which likely meant "absence" in his young, naive mind.

In Gon's first encounter with Hisoka, I don't think that the important part is whether or not that scenario is the first time that Gon experienced "mortal fear." Argue as you like regarding whether or not you believe this to be true. Rather, what is important is that Gon experienced the fear of death...and conquered it.


"Weird, isn't it? I was afraid...but I was also excited."

That scene is a curiosity in itself.

Gon isn't "the Hunted"; no mere gazelle or tiny bird constantly on the lookout for predators. Gon is a gestating "Hunter." A future tiger.


Hm...good point. Well guess that eases my worries.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,702
Reaction score
61,407
Gender
Male
Country
France
Anyone else excited to hear the VAs of the Spiders? I'm kinda looking forward to that more than how they are animated. Probably because I'm putting faith in Madhouse to not screw up the animations. One thing I love about this anime is the variety of expressions of the characters. I hope Shalnark is always smiling. And Feitan needs to look BOSS. Judging from the character designs, I think they'll do okay with the expressions.
I am sure VAs will be great but i am intrigued by Kappei's Feitan and Noriko's Shalnark.
 

ZonikStrike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2011
Messages
369
Reaction score
206
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
So...

Episode 41 July 29 To Yorknew/Yorknew Auction Begins
Episode 42 August 5th September the First Part 1 and 2 (end volume 8)

Episode 43 August 12th September The First 3 and 4
Episode 44 August 19th September The First 5 and 6

Break August 26th

Episode 45 September 2nd September the First Part 7 and September the 2nd Part 1
Why is there break on August 26th? =O
And yeah, till now they've been doing 2.5 volume for 12 episodes, so the season has to end somewhere around volume 10. That means the pace has to go up a bit. I think something like this:
Ep 41 July 29th Chap 70-71 - The beginning
Ep 42 August 5th Chap 72-73 + maybe some bits of 74 - The first attack
Ep 43 August 12th Chap 74-76 (74 is shorter than usual plus there's more of battles so it'd be easy to fit those chapters in an episode) - Ubo vs Injuu
Ep 44 August 19th Chap 77-78 - Capturing Ubogin and his escape
Ep 45 August 26th Chap 79-81 (81 is short again) - Ubo's searching for Kurapika and finding him
Ep 46 September 2nd Chap 82, 83 without the parts that are covered already and 84 without the Gon&co parts, ending with GR worrying about Ubo - Ubo vs Kurapika. And that is September 2nd as well.
Ep 47 September 9th Chap 84 Gon&co parts, 85-86 - Searching for GR, Market Auction, meeting Zepairu. Now this is interesting, as the season has like 3 episodes remaining and Zepairu shows up for the first time but he is still in the ending while Neon isn't. Strange huh.
Ep 48 September 16th Chap 87-88 + 89 pg 1 - Zepairu helping them to sell the goods; talking about frauds. Ends with Leorio calling them saying that the info about GR came up and them running away and telling Zepairu to sell everything for the best price.
Ep 49 September 23th Chap 89 first part + 90-91 - Tailing Nobu and Machi, getting caught; Spiders' HQ and arm-wrestling with Nobu.
Ep 50 September 30th Chap 89 second part + 92-93 - Mafia is hiring the assasins, Gon&Killua're running away from Nobu. End of both volume 10 and season 2.
Well, actually I think it won't go as high-paced as that cuz the next 2.5 volumes end a bit after the chap 119, and that chapter is imo the perfect way to end the mid-season and YS arc. So maybe this season won't end at chap 93 but rather somewhere near 90.
I doubt there'll be 52 episodes by the end of season 2 as the first season actually has only 24 episodes cause recaps are omitted in DVDs. Now the second one still could be longer than that, but the episodes are divided 3 eps per DVD so it's either 24 or 27 episodes. And I doubt they'll do more than 26.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top