Miscellaneous - I'm ready to start contributing but I have a problem | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Miscellaneous I'm ready to start contributing but I have a problem

Zero Black

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, hi, Im a new member and before I just let peeps like Kokotaz, Cez, TMI scans, etc....do all the work and just download everytime there was a new release...

Well, ive decided I wish to start helping out so

I wish to start being a scanner, i want to start out in a group, either naruto, bleach, one piece, d. gray-man, fma, or 666 stana as they are my favs and would love to scan them,

i have the tools, GIMP, don't know how 2 use it (just got yesterday) to scans so I was wondering if anyone had like a tutorial for it, kinda also want a tutorial for other things like sigs, and other stuff

however due 2 problems i dunt have internet on MY computer, this is my dads. I can do the necessay work on my comp (i just save everything 2 disk then save onto my comp) and can return so im saying it would be slow for me

so im wondering can someone help me out?

Zero Black

Reaction score
Country
United States
hey, thanx a lot

Loserbait

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Australia
If you're a lazy scanner, like me, you can just give groups non-levelled scans. I figure editors can do the rest -- especially if I over-level... I just don't want that kind of responsibility.

Ensure ALL black and white pages are set/saved to Greyscale.

Here's how I scan -- and they're usually pretty decent scans. All you need is Photoshop:
- Scan the page at 900dpi (seems a bit excessive, but I like it).
- Send the scan to Photoshop.
- Rotate the page (since my scans appear sideways) and crop the page accordingly. You want to make sure the page lines up to the crop to make the filesize as low as possible.
- Downsize the page to 600dpi.
- Save as JPEG, 8-High.

For greyscale pics, that's about 2.5-3 MB per page and it usually takes about one and a half minutes per page (a little longer for 2-page spreads)...
Note that it takes up to 7 hours per book... But that's because I care a little more ;)

Just make sure you clean your scanner bed before use -- and if you like, after every 20 or so pages. Dust and paper fibers collect over time if you don't clean your scanner often enough.