Shounen - Iron Knight by YAGI Tomohiro | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Iron Knight by YAGI Tomohiro

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Unlike others, I start to dig this even more each chapter. It might be basically predictable but most of the obvious things are that way. This prediction is logical. Chapter 5 was really good because this girl taught teppei to use his powers differently. They analyzed their opponent and the means he used weren't predictable, original and plain. No ridiculous deus ex machina event, the shield was a good weapon

Last edited:

FanOfAniManga

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't know. The unanimous resentment from the townspeople Teppei just saved from chapter 4, including and especially, his own best friend, just seems so out of place, and dare I say, contrived, if only to just drag the storyline longer to gain the trust of the townspeople.

Also, there doesn't seem to be any direction with the story. What is Teppei's goal, apart from his generic survival instinct and saving your friends?

Maybe I'm wrong and somehow, the storyline will end up like World Trigger, having a very slow pace at the beginning but a firm structure to show if given the leeway, but I can't see it happening so long as Teppei continues not to have a role model or something.

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Unlike others, I start to dig this even more each chapter. It might be basically predictable but most of the obvious things are that way. This prediction is logical. Chapter 5 was really good because this girl taught teppei to use his powers differently. They analyzed their opponent and the means he used weren't predictable, original and plain. No ridiculous deus ex machina event, the shield was a good weapon
Unfortunately, I think all of that made it just a really dull and uninteresting chapter. There was not gripping, shocking, or just interesting for it. 14 pages and exposition as well even :( Topping it off with the friend being there in the line of danger as well didnt really do it any favors. I hope the series takes off in a bit though as this miniarc of sorts is just not doing it for me.

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
What is Teppei's goal, apart from his generic survival instinct and saving your friends?
Well, I think that's the current goal (and direction) for the series; it may introduce new direction as soon as Teppei's dad/friends fate is revealed.

Plus, I don't really think the goal matter since I know there is one series which main character doesn't have clear goal but managed to become hit (*cough*cough Bleach *cough*cough).

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Unfortunately, I think all of that made it just a really dull and uninteresting chapter. There was not gripping, shocking, or just interesting for it. 14 pages and exposition as well even :( Topping it off with the friend being there in the line of danger as well didnt really do it any favors. I hope the series takes off in a bit though as this miniarc of sorts is just not doing it for me.
See, but that's the whole point:

In most series, the character and story development is too fast, too complex, too dull, etc (hungry joker,... ).In my opinion, you can not say this about Iron Knight. This is still about a boy who is totally lost and who has to act on his own without exactly knowing how the world exactly is.

The premises are plain and easy; the reason why the mangaka is keeping it that story plain at this moment. The relevations, complex outcomes, etc... are issues which will be told later on.

I think the worst thing you can do now, is looking for story depth. At this moment, you have to go with the flow.

Whether this is sufficient for WSJ survival is something I leave in the middle

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I don't know whether I liked of this chapter or not, the explanation was fairly nice, but all the story still needs more appeal, something that I hanve't seen since chapter 1, which I like the most until now. It lacks good scenes to impress the reader and make the things interesting. What matters for a new series is votes, so I always evaluate taking into consideration this question, and, at this moment, I wouldn't vote to it.

This girl stills intrigues me, though. Where is she from and why is she helping Teppei? She is that rabbit of before? Teppei should rely on her? I think that it is the point that interests me more.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I don't know whether I liked of this chapter or not, the explanation was fairly nice, but all the story still needs more appeal, something that I hanve't seen since chapter 1, which I like the most until now. It lacks good scenes to impress the reader and make the things interesting. What matters for a new series is votes, so I always evaluate taking into consideration this question, and, at this moment, I wouldn't vote to it.

This girl stills intrigues me, though. Where is she from and why is she helping Teppei? She is that rabbit of before? Teppei should rely on her? I think that it is the point that interests me more.
I wouldn't vote it either because there are other WSJ series which impress me more but unlike some other - already cancelled - WSJ series, you can not say that this one is generic and over the top.

If the mangaka will start with some story development from chapter 10 and onwards then - according to me - this series might become a WSJ manga like Muhyo to Roujie/Psyren/Nurarihyon no Mago. The story has already a mini-arc and it doesn't rush the story. Its first act = a new demonic world and Teppei with demon powers. I do agree with all of you that it is quite simple and plain but unlike a lot of people, it is not bland to me and it is really good to keep it that simple because a lot of newcomers can be blamed that their action x story copies the big shounen too much

Black Knight

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
To those who are interested, the raw for chapter 6 is already out. The plot is building slow but nicely, IMO.

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
This may appear to be an out-of-date discussion but since I have only read this series recently, I thought I would pen down my comments.

This series has been published since 2013 with an one-shot story and followed by a serialisation.

The story started off well with a clear set of goal from the main character, Teppei. It went on at a fast pace with encounters of various "goblins" while he sided the humans and the enemies wanted to rule the world. While Teppei's main aim was to save his childhood friend, at the same time he wanted to prove his worth as a human being - who was inspired by his father, a police detective - to uphold justice and serve mankind. He maintained his humanity and refused to be taken over by the evil nature which then set him off the path he had always wanted to be - a hero of the world.

Initially I thought the plot might have some potential to move on longer but signs of conclusion seemed to surface quickly that resulted into a short series. It is still a good read for those who enjoy a little childhood dream of being a hero. Teppei was after all a child. I would reckon that younger readers may like it and for the grown ups, it may have been a dream when they were still a kid. :super