Discussion - Japan to recognize foreign manga authors | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Japan to recognize foreign manga authors

itsumobasho

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Manga award planned for foreign authors

An international manga award to honor foreign authors of Japanese-style comics is due to be established, with an award ceremony planned for July, it was learned Tuesday.

The award, being promoted by Foreign Minister Taro Aso, a self-professed manga fan, will be set up by an organizing committee whose members include the Japan Foundation.

Aso said he hoped the award would promote Japanese pop culture.

"I want to make the award like the Nobel Prize of manga, to enhance the voice of Japanese pop culture and subculture," Aso said in comments made after a Cabinet meeting on Tuesday morning.

Candidates for the prize will come from general applications and recommendations by publishers in Japan and overseas. A panel including manga authors Machiko Satonaka, Takashi Yanase and Tetsuya Chiba, and former editors of well-known Japanese comic magazines will select the winning entries on June 22.

Top works will be given the "international manga award" and other prizes. The award ceremony is scheduled for July 2, in Tokyo. (Mainichi)
Source: Mainichi News

Hmmm... this article is very interesting. Japan has never been too big on praising the work of foreigners in supposedly "Japanese" specialties. I mean, the criticism that some of the early foreign sumo wrestlers, such as Konishikiand Akebono received when they first arrived on the scene was pretty bad. Too bad the sport is dominated by the Mongolian war tank, Asashoryu! Hah! Take that, Japan! Getting beat at your own game!

Still, it's good that they're finally recognizing foreigners in the manga industry. I know that one of my mom's high school friends has a son (Korean, obviously) who finally got a job as a mangaka in Tokyo about a year ago. She was always bugging me to meet him but I never did. Maybe I should have? I never really had the time to do so... and I doubt that we would have a lot to talk about since manga isn't exactly my forte.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
well, they can do what they want

I praise manga from japan, and the rest doesn't interest me

but good idea to promote japan's export product

Do Kesubei

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm, kinda vague, isn't it? What do they define as a "Japanese-styled comic" in the first place? Is it the art? The format? Does it have to be in black & white? Are they recogizing foreigners who work in the Manga industry in Japan, or people in foreign countries that make comics? Sounds interesting at first, but there really isn't much in that announcement.

2ndKurono

Banned
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
yep this is great,i hope Oku Hiroya gets an award or Akira Toriyoma cause he was the actual starter of all those awesome fights.

Impel Down

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
This is awesome, even though I can't think of any non-Japanese manga authors that are deserving of the award.