Re: Japanese Comic Ranking, December 3-9
One thing that many of you don't understand is how successful Togashi really is.
Take a look at this
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/news/2012-10-23/top-10-shonen-jump-manga-by-all-time-volume-sales
As you can see Yu Yu Hakusho is seated at the number 10 spot.
Now take into account that Yu Yu Hakusho sold that much with only 19 volumes.
Now look at JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for example which has 100+ volumes.
The difference in sales is not very much.
Even compare Hunter x Hunter's 31 volumes with JoJo's Bizarre Adventures 100+
It's simply incredible that Togashi can put out so little amount of content but still be highly successful.
The reason is that the quality of the product speaks for itself. No knocking JoJo's here just comparison of sales.
Togashi is not the same person as all the other mangaka, he has been making manga for a very long time.
The only mangaka who matches him in time as a mangaka and still going is Araki (JoJo)
Even Araki has slowed his pace dramatically, only putting out 1 a month, sometimes there is few month hiatuses.
Even Berserk has the same issues.
These are mangaka who have been doing this job for around 30 years since they debuted with their one-shots.
They are all old men now, pushing 50. They have families and health concerns, yet they still make manga.
I never will understand people being ungrateful to mangaka like Togashi, acting like he should work the same schedule as the young mangaka.
When you're in your late 40s, have 2 kids and a wife, would you really be able to do this job at a regular pace?
Being a mangaka means that you must spend every waking moment working pretty much.
I respect Togashi and I know if I was in his position I'd pace myself as well, we don't want another Yu Yu Hakusho incident now do we?