Fantasy Jellal vs Sabertooth

Jellal vs Sabertooth


  • Total voters
    38

Fyron

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2020
Messages
200
Reaction score
177
Age
25
Country
India
I'm really not up for some childish back and forth bickering so this is my last post regarding the matter with you, and this is not just for you.
  1. If Sting can one shot Jiemma based on the line of reasoning of relative power scale through different timeskips and considering that Jiemma's hype was to be taken at face value, Sting would also be able to one shot Erza, and given recent events, would also make him able to one-shot Laxus with the same attack. Possibly do the same to even the likes of Irene. If that doesn't sound ridiculous to anyone here, then I don't know what else I can say. Characters grow at different rates in this series.
  2. If we're following the aforementioned line of reasoning, Erza who was always inferior or at least on the same level as Jellal would carry him on her back, which means if it could one-shot Erza, it could also one-shot Jellal. At the very minimum, almost knock out Laxus. If the idea that Sting can damage these characters with a single attack (that did not even exhaust him) does not sound nonsensical, then so be it. But you can't argue Jellal would get one-shotted based on said line of reasoning, then deny that it would not one-shot Erza. Double standards.
  3. If no one can give an honest answer who can fight off Acnologia the way Jellal (a non dragon slayer) did and continuously just call this 'wank' to bury the fact that they actually have no idea, then I honestly don't even know where to position myself here. It's being called out as 'wank' simply because most people on this site can't quantify the feat.
  4. Larcade's durability can only really scale to the most durable Spriggan that's neither Irene or August.
    • Wahl was one-shotted by Laxus the moment his attack got through.
    • Dimaria was wrecked by END. (Erza blocked a bloodlusted onslaught from END and Gray with her bare fists)
    • Brandish was knocked out by Dimaria with a knife.
    • Serena only really tanked attacks from people who can only scale to Jura. (probably the most impressive one durability wise below the top three)
    • Jacob was one-shotted by Mirajane.
    • Neinhart was destroyed by Natsu.
    • Bradman got destroyed by Gajeel when he managed to touch him and land a decent attack.
    • Invel was wrecked by Gray's fists.
    • Ajeel was beaten by Elfman.
Which obviously does not help him much. So we go onto his direct feats: Larcade can no-sell Kagura's slashes but can receive damage from Sting's punches. Sting struggled to land proper hits on him and when he did, he knocked him out. Kyria's roar had the ability to leave Erza with some cuts and a basic slash could cut through Natsu. Jellal shrugged off this same roar alongside Laxus, which if we're following number 1 (read above), would still mean that Jellal would get one-shotted. Similar to how Erza would. Likewise to Laxus who would at least be heavily damaged to the point of almost passing out.

If this is what you believe, I'm not going to argue even though I would disagree, because at least there would be no double standards and hypocrisy
I'll be intervening here if you don't mind , I'm addressing points 3 and 4.

3) Acnologia was jobbing at that point. How do I know this ? Due to the fact that Jellal's Grand Chariot was able to push Acnologia back , and his Grand Chariot scales to the angry punch Natsu threw at Neinhart. Human Acnologia should scale to Human Ignia , and Human Ignia can catch an angry Natsu's punch without flinching. Grand Chariot is an outdated spell now with little significance , and that spell made Human Acno push back when Ignia caught it's equivalent without flinching. Also , a non jobbing Dragon Acno was able to instantly defeat Gildarts with Gildarts' own admission , whereas Acno couldn't do that for Jellal even in his dragon form. Think about it , by considering Jellal's feats against Acno you're basically implying Jellal >>> Gildarts.

4) Larcade never received damage from Base Sting's punches , he was totally fine. What matched his CQC skills were WSD Sting's punches ( and were slightly overwhelming him ) . Base Sting only pushed him back a little , that's it , and tbf I can see Base Sting getting fodderized by Larcade even if he doesn'5t use his hax at all , considering he matched WSD Sting's punches.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

While I do think Jellal takes this , but that's totally my opinionated stance. Because I think despite Grand Chariot being an outdated spell , he's got other powerful spells above it like Altarias , Abyss Break and Sema in his pocket whose destructive power we haven't seen post timeskip. I also think Jellal will show us some brand new spell while fighting the enemy . Despite of his lack of feats , he's got portrayal on Laxus' level.

But arguing that he wins because of his feats is a lie. We've seen nothing from him apart from Grand Chariot as of post timeskip , which is an outdated spell anyway.
 

Hexbend

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2019
Messages
863
Reaction score
1,196
Age
24
Country
United States
Jellal > Gildarts isn’t unbelievable tbh
 

grey matter

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
6,580
Reaction score
10,155
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
India
A bit of an oversimplification, but I'm going to sum up my main arguments here.
  • Relative power level isn't an irrevocable rule of thumb in Fairy Tail. People grow at different rates.
  • Jellal is at least on Erza's level in terms of durability.
And most importantly:
  • Larcade could get hurt from base Sting's basic punches whereas Erza completely blocked a bloodlusted onslaught from both Gray and Natsu (both of whom should be considerably above base Sting). Just because Rough Silk knocked him out doesn't mean it would heavily damage Jellal. It would, but not to a degree that would even threaten Jellal's chances of winning.
I don't think Jellal is Erza's level in durability. Maybe it's because of the way I see it, I think durability and defense are different things. Defense = damage reduction and durability = HP IMO. Jellal may very well be above Erza in defense, since Kiria couldn't even scratch him; but Erza has arguably the biggest durability feats among the 'good guys'. She can keep taking in punishment.

Erza blocking darkness Gray's and partial END Natsu's punch doesn't really put her at their level though. They were exchanging attacks for quite a while, and just blocking their attacks almost cost Erza her arms. One was almost burned to crisp, and the other almost shattered from Gray's ice. It greatly damaged her (but in FT it doesn't matter cause Wendy can heal anything within minutes lol)
Larcade blocked Kagura's sword with a finger without even a scratch, looks like he barely even tried. I find it extremely hard to believe that Erza can do the same with a single finger.

It is definitely one of the most impressive durability feats out of all Spriggans that's neither August or Irene, which just makes it sad, because we later see that Sting's basic attacks can do damage to him.
Unrelated, but Serena has great durability feats as well lol. He took not even a scratch from GOI + Jura.

Sting and Rogue have decent portrayal, they're basically a weaker duo of base Natsu and base Gajeel, and Erza could block attacks from bloodlusted END and Darkness Gray (both of whom should be considerably superior to base Natsu and base Gajeel).
^^

I can see where you're coming from, but I just don't see it. Sting and Rogue together worked against Bradman and Larcade, and from what we know, they were completely destroyed alongside their entire guild and Blue Pegasus. While I won't go as far as to say Erza by herself could've beaten them two together, I highly doubt she would go down without even putting up a fight.

I can see them maybe beating Gajeel together, I only really put WSD Sting around that level anyway (LFD Natsu/ISD Gajeel). Wouldn't go as far as to say Erza/Laxus/Jellal.
I don't think they faced Larcade at all. Bradman stomped them, it's understandable considering how haxxy the guy is. Probably the haxiest Spriggan after August and maybe Dimaria.

Yeah, I agree with that. I don't see them beating those three together either. But I think what Mashima is saying is it's very situational. If you take them lightly, while being around Erza level, you get defeated. Jiemma was overconfident AF and underestimating them; and got defeated.
I think this is what happened in Larcade fight as well. Larcade had plenty of opportunity to put down Sting, but he was cocky AF and got rekt in the end.

I don't think it's bullshit, it's the theme of the series to begin with. What I don't think is that it boosted them up so far high that they can now beat Natsu at his best (no Dragon Force) after how they performed against him in GMG. Whereas I think Erza can. Conclusively, Jellal also would.
Their performance initially against Spriggans does not help their case either.
If end of GMG Sting/Rouge goes DF or activate their lacrima drive, I think they can beat base Natsu/Gajeel (already happened to base Gajeel). And can put up a fight against LFD Natsu or ISM Gajeel (mid-high diff)

That would imply they can also fight off human Acnologia the same way Irene did. I just don't see it if they couldn't even fight off two Spriggans.
Not necessarily.
Acnologia jobs if he's not fighting a Dragon slayer. Acno didn't realize Eileen was a DS, and hence was playing around. Jellal basically replicated what Eileen did, and more. Even against his dragon form.
Serious Acno can one shot even August, who's far above human Eileen in cqc, considering August couldn't even react when Acnologia killed Serena. He was looking straight while Serena already died and Acno reached the other side. Serious Acno one shots anyone in Alverez arc, bar Zeref (immortality)

Kyria's roar can damage Erza and Jellal shrugged that off with not even a single cut in the current arc. So, I don't see it dealing anything more than superficial damage to Jellal.
I think you underestimate Rough silk.
This was the same attack that one shotted LFD Natsu amped on POF (from future Rouge), one shotted Jeimma and finished off Larcade. It's dealing heavy damage to Jellal, Laxus or Erza. It has extremely high damage output.
Like I said, I don't think it would end the fight there. What I am saying is that: one of that attack will injure them significantly, 2nd may defeat them or severely injure them, there is no way any of them are taking three of those attacks and still be standing.
It all comes down to whether they can land it or not. Jellal is too speedy, so it's quite possible that they don't even land the attack in the entire fight at all and lose. Erza is the only one among the three they have a decent chance of landing the attack IMO
 

Hexbend

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2019
Messages
863
Reaction score
1,196
Age
24
Country
United States
Jellal should still take it, he’s the fastest human considering his feats against Acno & should have the damage to take down everyone swiftly
 

grey matter

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
6,580
Reaction score
10,155
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
India
Jellal should still take it, he’s the fastest human considering his feats against Acno & should have the damage to take down everyone swiftly
Agree he's the fastest, bar likely DF Natsu. But Acnologia was really just jobbing. He didn't take Jellal seriously at all (since he's not a dragon Slayer), or else he would've been one shot like Serena was (where not even August could react). Not sure how to interpret that (Jellal's "fight" against Acnologia)
 

Hexbend

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2019
Messages
863
Reaction score
1,196
Age
24
Country
United States
Agree he's the fastest, bar likely DF Natsu. But Acnologia was really just jobbing. He didn't take Jellal seriously at all (since he's not a dragon Slayer), or else he would've been one shot like Serena was (where not even August could react). Not sure how to interpret that (Jellal's "fight" against Acnologia)
I mean we could say Acno didn’t go all out sure, but Acno was after Wendy & probably annoyed. Making it a bit more impressive
 

Fyron

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2020
Messages
200
Reaction score
177
Age
25
Country
India
Agree he's the fastest, bar likely DF Natsu. But Acnologia was really just jobbing. He didn't take Jellal seriously at all (since he's not a dragon Slayer), or else he would've been one shot like Serena was (where not even August could react). Not sure how to interpret that (Jellal's "fight" against Acnologia)
Best way is to wait for more feats. Acnologia even in his "bloodlusted" RoT Dragon Form couldn't even kill a single person with his Eternal Flare , so trying to make sense how much percentage of power he was putting in is a waste of time imo. He was jobbing because he's a dumbo , let's leave it at that.

All he's shown us till now is his outdated Grand Chariot spell , and we don't even know whether he has any new strongest spell ( he should have one , even apart from Abyss Break and Altarias since he already possessed those ). Grand Chariot isn't even impressive , it scales to a punch from an angry Base Natsu which was easily caught by Ignia , but it pushed back Acnologia ( lol , shows the stupid writing in the arc )
 

grey matter

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
6,580
Reaction score
10,155
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
India
Best way is to wait for more feats. Acnologia even in his "bloodlusted" RoT Dragon Form couldn't even kill a single person with his Eternal Flare , so trying to make sense how much percentage of power he was putting in is a waste of time imo. He was jobbing because he's a dumbo , let's leave it at that.

All he's shown us till now is his outdated Grand Chariot spell , and we don't even know whether he has any new strongest spell ( he should have one , even apart from Abyss Break and Altarias since he already possessed those ). Grand Chariot isn't even impressive , it scales to a punch from an angry Base Natsu which was easily caught by Ignia , but it pushed back Acnologia ( lol , shows the stupid writing in the arc )
He wasn't trying to kill anyone. He was casual and WANTED THEM ALIVE to stabilize or something. He just wanted to put them down, so he was very careful about not killing them.
The only time he got serious, was against Serena.
Eternal flare was used on ships lol, not on people. Moreover, that Acnologia was mindless, he couldn't know who is who other than 'instinct'

You can't say GC scales to punch from base Natsu. Cause Natsu used a huge roar against Bluenote, and I am sure that the same punch he used against Neinhart would take down Bluenote as well. All we can say is that both these attacks (GC and punch) were enough to take down fodderHart, we can't really compare their attack power from this.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I mean we could say Acno didn’t go all out sure, but Acno was after Wendy & probably annoyed. Making it a bit more impressive
Wendy was an insect lol. The attack he used to kill Wendy was blocked by Jellal, while I am sure that the attack he used on Serena can't be blocked even by August. Acnologia uses more power as the one he wants to kill is stronger. The way Acnologia killed Serena is similar to what he did to Gildarts, which is fitting since Serena (alive) is hyped to be Gildarts level.
That and yeah, Wendy has plot protection as well. I see no reason why Acnologia wouldn't go directly for the kill like he did against Serena. It's bullshit.
 

Fyron

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2020
Messages
200
Reaction score
177
Age
25
Country
India
He wasn't trying to kill anyone. He was casual and WANTED THEM ALIVE to stabilize or something. He just wanted to put them down, so he was very careful about not killing them.
The only time he got serious, was against Serena.
Eternal flare was used on ships lol, not on people. Moreover, that Acnologia was mindless, he couldn't know who is who other than 'instinct'

You can't say GC scales to punch from base Natsu. Cause Natsu used a huge roar against Bluenote, and I am sure that the same punch he used against Neinhart would take down Bluenote as well. All we can say is that both these attacks (GC and punch) were enough to take down fodderHart, we can't really compare their attack power from this.
I am not talking about his human form , I'm talking about his dragon form. He could've nuked the entire city even if he was mindless , it would've done the job of killing everyone. Or he could've just found the slayers quickly instead of taking more than an hour to travel from one end of the battlefield to another , despite the fact he could sense Gajeel when he was pulled into the underworld , implying he knew where the DS were on the battlefield yet didn't make the effort to be "serious" against them.

Yeah sure , I consider the punch Natsu used against Neinhart to be one of his stronger punches. But is it impressive enough to put Jellal in the tier of Laxus or Erza ? No. Because Natsu has got FDK Demo Fist too which should ( logically ) scale above that punch. No , if Grand Chariot was all that more powerful than Natsu's attack , it should've straight up killed Neinhart since Natsu's attack was enough to KO him.

I do think Jellal is in Laxus' tier , I'm saying just we don't have the feats to prove it. It's just my personal opinion. I think spells like Abyss Break and a new spell ( if he shows it ) should put him in Laxus tier.
 

Vis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2019
Messages
588
Reaction score
911
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be intervening here if you don't mind , I'm addressing points 3 and 4.

3) Acnologia was jobbing at that point. How do I know this ? Due to the fact that Jellal's Grand Chariot was able to push Acnologia back , and his Grand Chariot scales to the angry punch Natsu threw at Neinhart. Human Acnologia should scale to Human Ignia , and Human Ignia can catch an angry Natsu's punch without flinching. Grand Chariot is an outdated spell now with little significance , and that spell made Human Acno push back when Ignia caught it's equivalent without flinching. Also , a non jobbing Dragon Acno was able to instantly defeat Gildarts with Gildarts' own admission , whereas Acno couldn't do that for Jellal even in his dragon form. Think about it , by considering Jellal's feats against Acno you're basically implying Jellal >>> Gildarts.
Jellal's Grand Chariot pushing him back doesn't mean Acnologia was jobbing. Human Irene did it with one of her blasts as well.
Natsu's punch =/= Grand Chariot. They don't scale to each other. They were both strong enough to knock out Neinhart, which given his lack of durability showings should be doable by literally anyone worth crap.

Your line of reasoning basically states, A is greater than X. B is also greater than X. Therefore, A = B. Which is a fallacious argument.

Acnologia fought off Gildarts presumably sometime around the beginning of the series. Gildarts has literally jumped up tiers since then, so no, this argument does not translate to 'Jellal >> Gildarts' at all. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Acnologia would have had a hard time dealing with Jellal at all if he was completely serious, but the fact of the matter is, we will always go back to this one basic reality: Jellal at his strongest was strong enough to stand up against him momentarily and he performed somewhat comparable to how Human Irene did.

4) Larcade never received damage from Base Sting's punches , he was totally fine. What matched his CQC skills were WSD Sting's punches ( and were slightly overwhelming him ) . Base Sting only pushed him back a little , that's it , and tbf I can see Base Sting getting fodderized by Larcade even if he doesn'5t use his hax at all , considering he matched WSD Sting's punches.
I reread the fight, I was wrong about Sting's basic punches damaging Larcade, it was his named attacks, Holy Ray and Holy Nova to be precise. Larcade got pushed around then used hunger to weaken him. Once Sting ate Rogue's shadow, his CQC did not just match Larcade, it flat-out overwhelmed him which forced him to pull out RIP.

Getting overwhelmed by base Sting's named attacks isn't even something I see Natsu struggling with, and Jellal should at least be above him.


And at the very least, Natsu or Gajeel can match these attacks with LFD/ISD.

While I do think Jellal takes this , but that's totally my opinionated stance. Because I think despite Grand Chariot being an outdated spell , he's got other powerful spells above it like Altarias , Abyss Break and Sema in his pocket whose destructive power we haven't seen post timeskip. I also think Jellal will show us some brand new spell while fighting the enemy . Despite of his lack of feats , he's got portrayal on Laxus' level.

But arguing that he wins because of his feats is a lie. We've seen nothing from him apart from Grand Chariot as of post timeskip , which is an outdated spell anyway.
He has feats of literally not being slightly cut by something that left Erza's body grazed all over. At the very least, his durability is somewhat on her level. His shield can completely block an attack from Acnologia and could momentarily push him back. He has hax that works on Erza tiers. He's probably still the fastest human in the series barring maybe August and Gildarts.

I know he hasn't had a direct fight against an opponent that would make it easier to gauge his place in the current power-scale in the series, but to imply he's fallen behind feats-wise to the point that there just isn't any comparison even between him and even Erza is what's flat out false.

I don't think Jellal is Erza's level in durability. Maybe it's because of the way I see it, I think durability and defense are different things. Defense = damage reduction and durability = HP IMO. Jellal may very well be above Erza in defense, since Kiria couldn't even scratch him; but Erza has arguably the biggest durability feats among the 'good guys'. She can keep taking in punishment.
I think it's just semantics, really. By durability, I mean the ability to take attacks without any significant damage (Erza tanking ). I define defense as the means to stop an attack from damaging (either by reducing it or flat out blocking it), Erza's Adamantine comes to mind. And endurance is the ability to keep fighting through sustained injuries (Erza destroying Deus Sema with broken bones then knocking Irene out of her dragon form).

Erza blocking darkness Gray's and partial END Natsu's punch doesn't really put her at their level though. They were exchanging attacks for quite a while, and just blocking their attacks almost cost Erza her arms. One was almost burned to crisp, and the other almost shattered from Gray's ice. It greatly damaged her (but in FT it doesn't matter cause Wendy can heal anything within minutes lol)
It wasn't healed by Wendy at all. She fought Irene with those hands, which means she was not even close to being out of fighting condition after taking those blows. They were exchanging attacks for quite awhile but the way those blows were presented made it appear as if it was their finishing attacks.

Larcade blocked Kagura's sword with a finger without even a scratch, looks like he barely even tried. I find it extremely hard to believe that Erza can do the same with a single finger.
Why wouldn't she be able to? I know it's impressive compared to Spriggans, but I see no reason why it should be out of Erza's reach, especially since Sting's attacks were damaging Larcade, he was legitimately overpowered by some of Sting's attacks, something I hardly see doing much to Natsu, much less Erza, which extends to their ability to also block that sword.

Unrelated, but Serena has great durability feats as well lol. He took not even a scratch from GOI + Jura.
Cool.

I don't think they faced Larcade at all. Bradman stomped them, it's understandable considering how haxxy the guy is. Probably the haxiest Spriggan after August and maybe Dimaria.
This doesn't really change the point though.

Yeah, I agree with that. I don't see them beating those three together either. But I think what Mashima is saying is it's very situational. If you take them lightly, while being around Erza level, you get defeated. Jiemma was overconfident AF and underestimating them; and got defeated.
I think this is what happened in Larcade fight as well. Larcade had plenty of opportunity to put down Sting, but he was cocky AF and got rekt in the end.
Sting was superior stats-wise, but Larcade had hax. For this to be a valid argument, Larcade would need to be in Erza's level in terms of stats, which he's not.

If end of GMG Sting/Rouge goes DF or activate their lacrima drive, I think they can beat base Natsu/Gajeel (already happened to base Gajeel). And can put up a fight against LFD Natsu or ISM Gajeel (mid-high diff)
But why? I don't understand where this is coming from. All we got from that was there was a significant upgrade with POF in play, but Natsu didn't exactly use it either when he fought them in GMG. It was just his regular power level. I'd go as far as to say he was playing around until the finishing attacks. Natsu with POF should still be very much able to take out Sting and Rogue with their own brand of it.

Not necessarily.
Acnologia jobs if he's not fighting a Dragon slayer. Acno didn't realize Eileen was a DS, and hence was playing around. Jellal basically replicated what Eileen did, and more. Even against his dragon form.
Serious Acno can one shot even August, who's far above human Eileen in cqc, considering August couldn't even react when Acnologia killed Serena. He was looking straight while Serena already died and Acno reached the other side. Serious Acno one shots anyone in Alverez arc, bar Zeref (immortality)
August also couldn't react to Brandish stabbing him face-to-face in his normal form. I think it's more of the gap between his battle form and his normal one.

I don't understand whole Acnologia jobbing thing, just because he destroyed Serena in one go doesn't mean he was jobbing when he didn't do it to Jellal and Irene with the same level of ease. Acnologia was trying to kill dragon slayers and Jellal was basically defending one (Wendy). I don't think there was any massive disparity between how serious he was against fighting Jellal and killing Serena.

Only time I think he properly jobbed in Alvarez was against Pegasus, but that's more of a Writer Induced Stupidity, he needed a way around introducing the Ravines of Time, some moments were just CIS, such as playing around with the dragon slayers in ROT.

I think you underestimate Rough silk.
This was the same attack that one shotted LFD Natsu amped on POF (from future Rouge), one shotted Jeimma and finished off Larcade.
Future Rogue isn't either Sting or Rogue, he has a different level of magical power behind his attack and Natsu was at least a tier below him at the time.
I don't think the relative power-scale argument is all that valid, so I don't think Jiemma helps this case much.
And Larcade is more of a fighter who mainly relies on hax once he gets overwhelmed by superior stats; he had to use hunger to weaken Sting once he started getting outclassed, then used RIP when he couldn't do so much as stand his ground against WSD. One-shotting him is an impressive feat only amongst Spriggans. He blocked Kagura's sword, and evidently, she's just really fallen behind everybody else considering her best efforts couldn't even move Larcade, whereas Sting at one point managed to overwhelm him with his named attacks. *refer to spoilers I used above*

It's dealing heavy damage to Jellal, Laxus or Erza. It has extremely high damage output.
Like I said, I don't think it would end the fight there. What I am saying is that: one of that attack will injure them significantly, 2nd may defeat them or severely injure them, there is no way any of them are taking three of those attacks and still be standing.
Three of those attacks and those guys should still be standing, possibly damaged heavily, but not to the point they're unable to put up a fight. That's how big the gap is between Erza's stats and Larcade's.

It all comes down to whether they can land it or not. Jellal is too speedy, so it's quite possible that they don't even land the attack in the entire fight at all and lose. Erza is the only one among the three they have a decent chance of landing the attack IMO
I agree. But what I'm arguing about is that even if it does land, it would barely do anything. I don't think it's all that superior to Kyria's roar.
 
Last edited:

Fyron

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2020
Messages
200
Reaction score
177
Age
25
Country
India
Jellal's Grand Chariot pushing him back doesn't mean Acnologia was jobbing. Human Irene did it with one of her blasts as well.
Natsu's punch =/= Grand Chariot. They don't scale to each other. They were both strong enough to knock out Neinhart, which given his lack of durability showings should be doable by literally anyone worth crap.

Your line of reasoning basically states, A is greater than X. B is also greater than X. Therefore, A = B. Which is a fallacious argument.

Acnologia fought off Gildarts presumably sometime around the beginning of the series. Gildarts has literally jumped up tiers since then, so no, this argument does not translate to 'Jellal >> Gildarts' at all. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Acnologia would have had a hard time dealing with Jellal at all if he was completely serious, but the fact of the matter is, we will always go back to this one basic reality: Jellal at his strongest was strong enough to stand up against him momentarily and he performed somewhat comparable to how Human Irene did.



I reread the fight, I was wrong about Sting's basic punches damaging Larcade, it was his named attacks, Holy Ray and Holy Nova to be precise. Larcade got pushed around then used hunger to weaken him. Once Sting ate Rogue's shadow, his CQC did not just match Larcade, it flat-out overwhelmed him which forced him to pull out RIP.

Getting overwhelmed by base Sting's named attacks isn't even something I see Natsu struggling with, and Jellal should at least be above him.


And at the very least, Natsu or Gajeel can match these attacks with LFD/ISD.



He has feats of literally not being slightly cut by something that left Erza's body grazed all over. At the very least, his durability is somewhat on her level. His shield can completely block an attack from Acnologia and could momentarily push him back. He has hax that works on Erza tiers. He's probably still the fastest human in the series barring maybe August and Gildarts.

I know he hasn't had a direct fight against an opponent that would make it easier to gauge his place in the current power-scale in the series, but to imply he's fallen behind feats-wise to the point that there just isn't any comparison even between him and even Erza is what's flat out false.
Who said Acnologia wasn't jobbing against Human Irene ? He was jobbing against her as well , this became evident from the fact how Human Irene was merely on Enchanted Erza's tier while Human Acno should scale to Human Ignia. Human Acnologia was low diffing average dragons 400 years ago in his flashback , I find it hard to believe Human Irene can do the same. The gap between Human Acno and Human Irene should be the same as the gap in their dragon forms , which is really huge. Irene being a support type mage only adds insult to injury.

They should be in the same tier even if they aren't exactly equal. If Jellal's Grand Chariot was a tier above Natsu's punch , then it would've killed Neinhart. It didn't. It achieved the same result as Natsu's punch.

No , my line of argument isn't that. It's that the gap between A and B isn't that huge so as for A to be compared to a completely different variable altogether.

Eh , Gildarts jumped tiers ? Not buying it tbf , he was already in his mid forties when he got injured IIRC. He was already an old man by then past his improvement stage and at his full potential , hard to believe he suddenly improved in one year. That's like saying August ( whom I believe trained continuously in his life and didn't sit on his ass lazing around ) improved himself in one year. There's a reason Mashima had to get Gildarts injured and crippled by Acnologia before coming to Tenrou , otherwise he could've soloed Grimoire Heart.

Can't view your images, but "Damaging Larcade" is an exaggeration tbf , they did nothing to him. The area where Sting was overwhelming Larcade while in base was speed , that's it. He just managed to push Larcade back a bit and Larcade used that excuse to cast Hunger spell because Mashima wanted to show that to us in one chapter fast. It's like saying Larcade cannot defeat Yukino and Kagura in CQC because he used Pleasure hax on them. Sting only started overwhelming Larcade in CQC after he went WSDM , he wasn't doing anything to Larcade while in base even with CQC attacks , his feats in base form are as good as Irene's feats against Acnologia to me.

I may be forgetting something , but did we really see Erza's body "completely" grazed over ? Wendy shielded her from the roar if I'm not wrong , and what we saw on Erza's body were only miniscule scratches on the arm. I could be wrong though , I don't remember the chapter all that well. I addressed the Acnologia part.

He really doesn't have all that many feats. What puts him on that level is portrayal , and it's reasonable because he hasn't shown us his powerful attacks like Sema and Abyss Break yet. You cannot expect his feats to be Laxus tier with his basic spells without using his top spells. If that was the case , what tier would his top spells place him at then lol.
 

grey matter

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
6,580
Reaction score
10,155
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
India
They should be in the same tier even if they aren't exactly equal. If Jellal's Grand Chariot was a tier above Natsu's punch , then it would've killed Neinhart. It didn't. It achieved the same result as Natsu's punch.
Agreed with your comment except this.

Can't say for sure, cause this is FT.
I believe that the roar Natsu used on Bluenote was >> the punch he used on Neinhart, and I believe the punch also would've taken down Bluenote.
In FT, only piercing attacks kill, the rest just knocks down. The only exception to this is Altaris killing Simon.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Jellal's Grand Chariot pushing him back doesn't mean Acnologia was jobbing. Human Irene did it with one of her blasts as well.
Natsu's punch =/= Grand Chariot. They don't scale to each other. They were both strong enough to knock out Neinhart, which given his lack of durability showings should be doable by literally anyone worth crap.

Your line of reasoning basically states, A is greater than X. B is also greater than X. Therefore, A = B. Which is a fallacious argument.

Acnologia fought off Gildarts presumably sometime around the beginning of the series. Gildarts has literally jumped up tiers since then, so no, this argument does not translate to 'Jellal >> Gildarts' at all. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Acnologia would have had a hard time dealing with Jellal at all if he was completely serious, but the fact of the matter is, we will always go back to this one basic reality: Jellal at his strongest was strong enough to stand up against him momentarily and he performed somewhat comparable to how Human Irene did.



I reread the fight, I was wrong about Sting's basic punches damaging Larcade, it was his named attacks, Holy Ray and Holy Nova to be precise. Larcade got pushed around then used hunger to weaken him. Once Sting ate Rogue's shadow, his CQC did not just match Larcade, it flat-out overwhelmed him which forced him to pull out RIP.

Getting overwhelmed by base Sting's named attacks isn't even something I see Natsu struggling with, and Jellal should at least be above him.


And at the very least, Natsu or Gajeel can match these attacks with LFD/ISD.



He has feats of literally not being slightly cut by something that left Erza's body grazed all over. At the very least, his durability is somewhat on her level. His shield can completely block an attack from Acnologia and could momentarily push him back. He has hax that works on Erza tiers. He's probably still the fastest human in the series barring maybe August and Gildarts.

I know he hasn't had a direct fight against an opponent that would make it easier to gauge his place in the current power-scale in the series, but to imply he's fallen behind feats-wise to the point that there just isn't any comparison even between him and even Erza is what's flat out false.



I think it's just semantics, really. By durability, I mean the ability to take attacks without any significant damage (Erza tanking ). I define defense as the means to stop an attack from damaging (either by reducing it or flat out blocking it), Erza's Adamantine comes to mind. And endurance is the ability to keep fighting through sustained injuries (Erza destroying Deus Sema with broken bones then knocking Irene out of her dragon form).



It wasn't healed by Wendy at all. She fought Irene with those hands, which means she was not even close to being out of fighting condition after taking those blows. They were exchanging attacks for quite awhile but the way those blows were presented made it appear as if it was their finishing attacks.



Why wouldn't she be able to? I know it's impressive compared to Spriggans, but I see no reason why it should be out of Erza's reach, especially since Sting's attacks were damaging Larcade, he was legitimately overpowered by some of Sting's attacks, something I hardly see doing much to Natsu, much less Erza, which extends to their ability to also block that sword.



Cool.



This doesn't really change the point though.



Sting was superior stats-wise, but Larcade had hax. For this to be a valid argument, Larcade would need to be in Erza's level in terms of stats, which he's not.



But why? I don't understand where this is coming from. All we got from that was there was a significant upgrade with POF in play, but Natsu didn't exactly use it either when he fought them in GMG. It was just his regular power level. I'd go as far as to say he was playing around until the finishing attacks. Natsu with POF should still be very much able to take out Sting and Rogue with their own brand of it.



August also couldn't react to Brandish stabbing him face-to-face in his normal form. I think it's more of the gap between his battle form and his normal one.

I don't understand whole Acnologia jobbing thing, just because he destroyed Serena in one go doesn't mean he was jobbing when he didn't do it to Jellal and Irene with the same level of ease. Acnologia was trying to kill dragon slayers and Jellal was basically defending one (Wendy). I don't think there was any massive disparity between how serious he was against fighting Jellal and killing Serena.

Only time I think he properly jobbed in Alvarez was against Pegasus, but that's more of a Writer Induced Stupidity, he needed a way around introducing the Ravines of Time, some moments were just CIS, such as playing around with the dragon slayers in ROT.



Future Rogue isn't either Sting or Rogue, he has a different level of magical power behind his attack and Natsu was at least a tier below him at the time.
I don't think the relative power-scale argument is all that valid, so I don't think Jiemma helps this case much.
And Larcade is more of a fighter who mainly relies on hax once he gets overwhelmed by superior stats; he had to use hunger to weaken Sting once he started getting outclassed, then used RIP when he couldn't do so much as stand his ground against WSD. One-shotting him is an impressive feat only amongst Spriggans. He blocked Kagura's sword, and evidently, she's just really fallen behind everybody else considering her best efforts couldn't even move Larcade, whereas Sting at one point managed to overwhelm him with his named attacks. *refer to spoilers I used above*



Three of those attacks and those guys should still be standing, possibly damaged heavily, but not to the point they're unable to put up a fight. That's how big the gap is between Erza's stats and Larcade's.



I agree. But what I'm arguing about is that even if it does land, it would barely do anything. I don't think it's all that superior to Kyria's roar.
I'll respond in general to this.

1. Acnologia was jobbing to both Eileen and Jellal. August being back-stabbed by someone he trust doesn't mean much, this is pretty common in FT. August knew Acnologia came for a fight, was on guard, and still couldn't even react. This essentially means that Acnologia can one shot anyone in the Alverass arc, bar Zeref who's immortal.

2. When she stopped, one of her arms was burned to crisp, the other was almost shattered, filled with cracks:
I had to search for Erza's arms in Erza vs Eileen, was hard since most of the fight, she wore gloves. But some I found that's clearly showing her arms. Some of them do show some of the cracks and burns in her arms while others don't, but it seemed to be healed a lot. Obviously Wendy healed it off screen. Wendy healed all of Erza's broken bones and even healed up a 'dead' person (Juvia) lol, healing cracked and burned arms is nothing for her.

3. Sting's attacks weren't doing much to Larcade, he tanked them all smiling. Larcade was being damaged only by dual elements attacks (and he was still tanking them, though with taking damage), and Rough Silk finished him off.
And it's implied that Larcade is weak to dark magic.

4. How are we even comparing Larcade's and Erza's stats without making assumptions about Sting's stats himself? In the end, it depends on where you have Erza relative to Sting and Kagura.
I don't think Kagura has become that much of a fodder, where Erza can stop her sword casually with a single finger.
I think the twin Dragon's power, relative to Erza, stayed the same from Tartarus to Alverez. I know I have no proof, but there is no conclusive proof for us to compare them anyway.
The only feats Larcade has, is against Kagura and twin dragons. The only feats Twin dragons have, is against Larcade as well. See? We're going around in circles here.
 

WoWfan

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
7,017
Reaction score
2,556
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Neinhart was physically weakest among the Spriggans, so he would be felled if come into contact with significant force, while Jacob was unable to fight back while being flung through the air to stop/prepare Natsu’s punch
 

Vis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2019
Messages
588
Reaction score
911
Country
United Kingdom
Who said Acnologia wasn't jobbing against Human Irene ? He was jobbing against her as well , this became evident from the fact how Human Irene was merely on Enchanted Erza's tier while Human Acno should scale to Human Ignia. Human Acnologia was low diffing average dragons 400 years ago in his flashback , I find it hard to believe Human Irene can do the same. The gap between Human Acno and Human Irene should be the same as the gap in their dragon forms , which is really huge. Irene being a support type mage only adds insult to injury.
It doesn't really matter, the point is, Jellal performed similarly to how Irene did. This puts his performance against Acnologia to be somewhat around Erza's level at the very least.

They should be in the same tier even if they aren't exactly equal. If Jellal's Grand Chariot was a tier above Natsu's punch , then it would've killed Neinhart. It didn't. It achieved the same result as Natsu's punch.
No , my line of argument isn't that. It's that the gap between A and B isn't that huge so as for A to be compared to a completely different variable altogether.
That's quite a reach there. It's rare that attacks kill people in this series. It's more of a theme than a feat. People of different power levels often take the same attacks in this universe and just affect them similarly: Pantherlily and Charle against Azuma, Happy and Wendy against Kyria, so on, so on.

Eh , Gildarts jumped tiers ? Not buying it tbf , he was already in his mid forties when he got injured IIRC. He was already an old man by then past his improvement stage and at his full potential , hard to believe he suddenly improved in one year. That's like saying August ( whom I believe trained continuously in his life and didn't sit on his ass lazing around ) improved himself in one year. There's a reason Mashima had to get Gildarts injured and crippled by Acnologia before coming to Tenrou , otherwise he could've soloed Grimoire Heart.
Gildarts did jump tiers, unless you genuinely think someone who managed to stand up against August would struggle against someone like Bluenote. Physically, he should've hit his prime already, though given the showings, that type of reasoning just does not fly in Fairy Tail.

Can't view your images, but "Damaging Larcade" is an exaggeration tbf , they did nothing to him. The area where Sting was overwhelming Larcade while in base was speed , that's it. He just managed to push Larcade back a bit and Larcade used that excuse to cast Hunger spell because Mashima wanted to show that to us in one chapter fast.
Sorry about that, there's something wrong with Mangapark.
'Managed to push Larcade back a bit' is an extremely faulty statement. He literally tossed him at least several metres away.

The way it was presented, Larcade resorted to it. Sting outclasses him in CQC momentarily and he uses Hunger? Doesn't seem like Mashima's cop-out way of introducing Hunger at all, it was used to show that Larcade wanted to weaken Sting to make it easier for him to win.

I mean, the last page of the chapter is this:
You can see Sting being more damaged, but Larcade doesn't exactly look fresh. He was receiving damage, he was just strong enough to fight through it.

It's like saying Larcade cannot defeat Yukino and Kagura in CQC because he used Pleasure hax on them. Sting only started overwhelming Larcade in CQC after he went WSDM , he wasn't doing anything to Larcade while in base even with CQC attacks
There's only one massive difference. Yukino and Kagura could visibly not land any sort of hits on Larcade. Sting literally punched him off. Yukino and Kagura were being played with just because, Larcade admitted Sting was a formidable opponent then used hunger. That's quite a massive disparity there.

his feats in base form are as good as Irene's feats against Acnologia to me.
Sting in base can perform similarly to how Irene did against Acnologia? Please tell me I misunderstood you.

I may be forgetting something , but did we really see Erza's body "completely" grazed over ? Wendy shielded her from the roar if I'm not wrong , and what we saw on Erza's body were only miniscule scratches on the arm. I could be wrong though , I don't remember the chapter all that well. I addressed the Acnologia part.
Wendy shielded her from the attack, but it's not like Wendy can block Erza's body with her own completely. The parts that Erza was hit with had evident cuts on there. Jellal was not the slightest bit scratched by it.
Upon getting hit by the roar.

We see her in the following chapter after the battle.

Compare that to Jellal's condition after he took Kyria's roar.

He really doesn't have all that many feats. What puts him on that level is portrayal , and it's reasonable because he hasn't shown us his powerful attacks like Sema and Abyss Break yet. You cannot expect his feats to be Laxus tier with his basic spells without using his top spells. If that was the case , what tier would his top spells place him at then lol.
It doesn't really matter if he's used Abyss Break or whatnot. This is no different than Laxus not using Fairy Law and such, just because he doesn't let it out in a battle does not mean he's not going all out. Same for Nakagami not being used against Irene.

His performance against Acnologia is somewhat similar to Irene's, which are both significantly better performance than what a normal Spriggan could do. I don't rank people based on what they can potentially do, I mostly rank them based on what they have already done.

1. Acnologia was jobbing to both Eileen and Jellal. August being back-stabbed by someone he trust doesn't mean much, this is pretty common in FT. August knew Acnologia came for a fight, was on guard, and still couldn't even react. This essentially means that Acnologia can one shot anyone in the Alverass arc, bar Zeref who's immortal.
Acnologia may not have been going at it at full power, that doesn't mean he was 'jobbing'. Also, it doesn't really matter because the point is, Jellal and Irene performed similarly against Acnologia and that's the reality of it. This only pushes Jellal to around her level in her human form. So the accusations that Jellal's performance against Acnologia is being wanked is just flat-out false. Unless people are saying this puts him significantly above her, which I haven't seen anybody say.

2. When she stopped, one of her arms was burned to crisp, the other was almost shattered, filled with cracks:
I had to search for Erza's arms in Erza vs Eileen, was hard since most of the fight, she wore gloves. But some I found that's clearly showing her arms. Some of them do show some of the cracks and burns in her arms while others don't, but it seemed to be healed a lot. Obviously Wendy healed it off screen. Wendy healed all of Erza's broken bones and even healed up a 'dead' person (Juvia) lol, healing cracked and burned arms is nothing for her.
The effects are visible. What I'm saying is what it did wasn't anything groundbreaking considering she still managed to stand up against Irene and later have her bones broken then do everything she did after.
I don't doubt that Wendy could heal her. She definitely can. But she didn't. Whether or not she wore gloves doesn't change the fact that she was in fighting condition with whatever effects Gray and Natsu's onslaught left her with.

Also,
Wendy was out at this point and really only did nothing but give her a Dragon slaying seal after. You can see her arms are still 'burned' and 'cracked', just not as much details were put into drawing them. She fought through those.

3. Sting's attacks weren't doing much to Larcade, he tanked them all smiling. Larcade was being damaged only by dual elements attacks (and he was still tanking them, though with taking damage), and Rough Silk finished him off.
And it's implied that Larcade is weak to dark magic.
Larcade was damaged by Holy Ray/Holy Nova. You can see him taking damage here, and immediately used Hunger to weaken Sting. Not even a single physical counterattack. It only really leads to one single conclusion: he was getting overwhelmed.

And against WSD, he was getting ragdolled to the point he couldn't even produce a physical counterattack, and so he resorted to RIP. The anime did a clear adaptation of this.

For the weakness part, it seemed more metaphorical than literal in terms of darkness and light, especially considering they literally know nothing about Larcade other than his being 'white' part.

4. How are we even comparing Larcade's and Erza's stats without making assumptions about Sting's stats himself? In the end, it depends on where you have Erza relative to Sting and Kagura.
Because it's not just an assumption to say Sting is inferior to the likes of Gajeel, it might as well be the series' reality. Portrayal and their performance against Bradman considered. And Gajeel is significantly inferior to Erza.

I don't think Kagura has become that much of a fodder, where Erza can stop her sword casually with a single finger.
Why not? Larcade's durability/strength (kind of a mix of both) allowed him to stop Kagura's sword. Erza is more durable with all she's gone through with Irene and Laxus, and she's definitely stronger, as shown by being able to stop Natsu and Gray's attacks' blunt force with her bare fists, with literally no armour to make her physically more capable.

Kagura has done nothing of note other than do what she did against Larcade (which is basically nothing), cutting Wahl's missile thing and killing Simon's historia, whereas even Wendy managed to tango with Irene. I don't understand why it's so hard for you to believe that the main characters are significantly above these secondary, even tertiary ones through time skips in which their growth were prioritised over anything else and anyone else's.

I think the twin Dragon's power, relative to Erza, stayed the same from Tartarus to Alverez. I know I have no proof, but there is no conclusive proof for us to compare them anyway.
The gap between Sting and Natsu in relation to the gap between Erza and Natsu is one evident route to doing this.

The relative power-scale thing again? It's not a rule of thumb especially if you're comparing main characters to secondary ones. Erza has caught up to Laxus, Gray can now stomp the Raijinshuu by himself, Wendy can stop attacks from Irene and Dimaria, and Natsu literally zipped around the Alvarez arc making Spriggans look more useless than they actually are, one after another (only one he failed to do this against was August), until he got to Zeref himself.

Holding up Sting and Rogue to this standard is an extremely unjust system you're choosing to work with. Especially since Laxus and Jellal (people who Erza have caught up with who were previously portrayed to be stronger) do not even get the same benefit of staying a tier ahead of her through this line of reasoning.

The only feats Larcade has, is against Kagura and twin dragons. The only feats Twin dragons have, is against Larcade as well. See? We're going around in circles here.
The Twin Dragons at the very least are individually portrayed on a level still inferior to Gray, Natsu and Gajeel in their base forms. WSD Sting is no superior to LFD Natsu and ISD Gajeel, or Gray in his darkness form, and Erza is significantly above that level, and more importantly, as is Jellal. We don't have to go around in circles at all, and I don't understand why you think we do, unless we're going strictly by feats with complete disregard of other aspects.
 
Last edited:

Fyron

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2020
Messages
200
Reaction score
177
Age
25
Country
India
Agreed with your comment except this.

Can't say for sure, cause this is FT.
I believe that the roar Natsu used on Bluenote was >> the punch he used on Neinhart, and I believe the punch also would've taken down Bluenote.
In FT, only piercing attacks kill, the rest just knocks down. The only exception to this is Altaris killing Simon.
Why should the roar Natsu used on Bluenote be >> the punch he used against Neinhart ? The punch he used against Neinhart was a PoF induced punch , and it kinda scales to the punch he threw against Human Ignia. Ignia noted that Natsu's punch when induced with emotions was significantly above his regular attacks. I think the punch he used against Neinhart should be comparable , or even superior to the roar he used against Bluenote.


It's not like only piercing attacks kill. Acnologia's roar kills. Ignia/Igneel Natsu's attacks would kill. Laxus' Red Lightning kills. Gajeel's attacks nearly killed Bloodman.

It doesn't really matter, the point is, Jellal performed similarly to how Irene did. This puts his performance against Acnologia to be somewhat around Erza's level at the very least.




That's quite a reach there. It's rare that attacks kill people in this series. It's more of a theme than a feat. People of different power levels often take the same attacks in this universe and just affect them similarly: Pantherlily and Charle against Azuma, Happy and Wendy against Kyria, so on, so on.



Gildarts did jump tiers, unless you genuinely think someone who managed to stand up against August would struggle against someone like Bluenote. Physically, he should've hit his prime already, though given the showings, that type of reasoning just does not fly in Fairy Tail.


Sorry about that, there's something wrong with Mangapark.
'Managed to push Larcade back a bit' is an extremely faulty statement. He literally tossed him at least several metres away.

The way it was presented, Larcade resorted to it. Sting outclasses him in CQC momentarily and he uses Hunger? Doesn't seem like Mashima's cop-out way of introducing Hunger at all, it was used to show that Larcade wanted to weaken Sting to make it easier for him to win.

I mean, the last page of the chapter is this:
You can see Sting being more damaged, but Larcade doesn't exactly look fresh. He was receiving damage, he was just strong enough to fight through it.



There's only one massive difference. Yukino and Kagura could visibly not land any sort of hits on Larcade. Sting literally punched him off. Yukino and Kagura were being played with just because, Larcade admitted Sting was a formidable opponent then used hunger. That's quite a massive disparity there.



Sting in base can perform similarly to how Irene did against Acnologia? Please tell me I misunderstood you.



Wendy shielded her from the attack, but it's not like Wendy can block Erza's body with her own completely. The parts that Erza was hit with had evident cuts on there. Jellal was not the slightest bit scratched by it.
Upon getting hit by the roar.

We see her in the following chapter after the battle.

Compare that to Jellal's condition after he took Kyria's roar.



It doesn't really matter if he's used Abyss Break or whatnot. This is no different than Laxus not using Fairy Law and such, just because he doesn't let it out in a battle does not mean he's not going all out. Same for Nakagami not being used against Irene.

His performance against Acnologia is somewhat similar to Irene's, which are both significantly better performance than what a normal Spriggan could do. I don't rank people based on what they can potentially do, I mostly rank them based on what they have already done.
Not really. You cannot compare individual performances against a character who isn't giving their all and is jobbing because we don't know how much effort he's putting behind his attacks. By that logic , Irene and Jellal should be comparable to Tenrou Makarov , and Wendy and Laxus should be in the same tier based on their performance against Acnologia. We cannot use such fights as a basis to compare feats.

Eh , I figured that was a thing only for group battles , right ? That isn't the case for individual battles , we've seen Spriggans perform differently according to their opponent in individual battles , like Bloodman against Rogue and Gajeel , Wahl against Laxus and Minerva , Simaria against Chelia and END , so on. And even if you say that the scaling is wrong due to FT bullshit , it doesn't really help Jellal's case either , in fact it makes him more featless than he already is , since now even Grand Chariot scales to literally nothing , with there being a possibility of it being even weaker than Natsu's punch.

Gildarts struggled against Bluenote because he was crippled by Acnologia just days before Tenrou. He hadn't healed himself fully back then. Alvarez Gildarts was back to his original form like he was before Acnologia crippled him. Pre Acno fight Gildarts should at least scale to Alvarez Gildarts. The one who got crippled by Acno should scale to Alvarez Gildarts.

I wanted to say "for a bit" , I omitted that word , the meaning changed lol. Never mind.

Tbf , to me it seemed Larcade resorted to Hunger because Sting was totally immune to his white magic and could eat it. Larcade's scratches received from Sting's named attack were a lot lesser than what he inflicted on Sting with a casual chop and his cross. I find it difficult to believe Larcade was getting troubled in CQC considering he had the upper hand in offense as well as defense. So I chalk it down to Mashima wanting to show us Hunger spell.

Yeah , Sting is stronger than Kagura , no doubt. Just using this to imply Larcade can use higher tier spells when not needed. Like I said , Larcade merely received a few scratches as compared to Sting , Sting used his named spells whereas Larcade merely used a karate chop. Even if Sting was weakened by Hunger , his durability should remain the same. I personally don't think the number of scratches on the body is synonymous to durability , it's the condition of the person , and Sting seemed in a worse condition despite Larcade using only karate chops.

Oh yes you did , lol. What I meant is imo Base Sting's feats aren't all that impressive considering the only thing he really did was push him back and outspeed him , just like only thing what Irene did against a non serious Acnologia was push him back and teleport him. I meant they are unimpressive and similar in nature to Irene's feats. I did not mean Sting can perform similarly.

Sadly , I still can't see the images , mangapark doesn't allow linking it's images to other sites.

Like I said , just because they performed similarly against a character who was jobbing to both of them doesn't mean their feats become the same. By that logic , Makarov has better feats of holding off Dragon Acnologia than Irene.
 

grey matter

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
6,580
Reaction score
10,155
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
India
Acnologia may not have been going at it at full power, that doesn't mean he was 'jobbing'. Also, it doesn't really matter because the point is, Jellal and Irene performed similarly against Acnologia and that's the reality of it. This only pushes Jellal to around her level in her human form. So the accusations that Jellal's performance against Acnologia is being wanked is just flat-out false. Unless people are saying this puts him significantly above her, which I haven't seen anybody say.



The effects are visible. What I'm saying is what it did wasn't anything groundbreaking considering she still managed to stand up against Irene and later have her bones broken then do everything she did after.
I don't doubt that Wendy could heal her. She definitely can. But she didn't. Whether or not she wore gloves doesn't change the fact that she was in fighting condition with whatever effects Gray and Natsu's onslaught left her with.

Also,
Wendy was out at this point and really only did nothing but give her a Dragon slaying seal after. You can see her arms are still 'burned' and 'cracked', just not as much details were put into drawing them. She fought through those.



Larcade was damaged by Holy Ray/Holy Nova. You can see him taking damage here, and immediately used Hunger to weaken Sting. Not even a single physical counterattack. It only really leads to one single conclusion: he was getting overwhelmed.

And against WSD, he was getting ragdolled to the point he couldn't even produce a physical counterattack, and so he resorted to RIP. The anime did a clear adaptation of this.

For the weakness part, it seemed more metaphorical than literal in terms of darkness and light, especially considering they literally know nothing about Larcade other than his being 'white' part.


Because it's not just an assumption to say Sting is inferior to the likes of Gajeel, it might as well be the series' reality. Portrayal and their performance against Bradman considered. And Gajeel is significantly inferior to Erza.



Why not? Larcade's durability/strength (kind of a mix of both) allowed him to stop Kagura's sword. Erza is more durable with all she's gone through with Irene and Laxus, and she's definitely stronger, as shown by being able to stop Natsu and Gray's attacks' blunt force with her bare fists, with literally no armour to make her physically more capable.

Kagura has done nothing of note other than do what she did against Larcade (which is basically nothing), cutting Wahl's missile thing and killing Simon's historia, whereas even Wendy managed to tango with Irene. I don't understand why it's so hard for you to believe that the main characters are significantly above these secondary, even tertiary ones through time skips in which their growth were prioritised over anything else and anyone else's.



The gap between Sting and Natsu in relation to the gap between Erza and Natsu is one evident route to doing this.

The relative power-scale thing again? It's not a rule of thumb especially if you're comparing main characters to secondary ones. Erza has caught up to Laxus, Gray can now stomp the Raijinshuu by himself, Wendy can stop attacks from Irene and Dimaria, and Natsu literally zipped around the Alvarez arc making Spriggans look more useless than they actually are, one after another (only one he failed to do this against was August), until he got to Zeref himself.

Holding up Sting and Rogue to this standard is an extremely unjust system you're choosing to work with. Especially since Laxus and Jellal (people who Erza have caught up with who were previously portrayed to be stronger) do not even get the same benefit of staying a tier ahead of her through this line of reasoning.



The Twin Dragons at the very least are individually portrayed on a level still inferior to Gray, Natsu and Gajeel in their base forms. WSD Sting is no superior to LFD Natsu and ISD Gajeel, or Gray in his darkness form, and Erza is significantly above that level, and more importantly, as is Jellal. We don't have to go around in circles at all, and I don't understand why you think we do, unless we're going strictly by feats with complete disregard of other aspects.
Acnologia was playing around. We know for a fact that could've one shot Eileen or Jellal if he really wanted to, but didn't cause he can't be bothered (and/or plot armour).
And yes, I put Jellal above human Eileen level anyway. I put human Eileen at or a bit above peak Alverez Erza; and Jellal significantly above Alverez Erza. But that's overall, in durability it's very debatable.

Yes, the effects are visible. That's just means that Wendy didn't completely heal. Wendy can't completely heal, what she can do is negate most of the damage to make someone viable for fighting again. I think we saw this after Erza vs Ajeel as well - Wendy healed most of her damage, but she wasn't at her peak state even after a day.
Wendy healed Erza's broken bones within a few minutes, so why wouldn't she heal her arms as well? There were few minutes between Erza stopping Natsu/Gray and Eleen arriving.

I think the relative powers still didn't change too much, at least when we're talking about twin Dragons. Because Erza had similar difficulty with
'normal' Spriggans as well. She lost to Neinhart and won against Ajeel because of external help. All that her fight with Eileen did, IMO, is show that Eileen isn't that different from regular Spriggans in her human form, and that it's her dragon form that's actually keeping her at August tier.
Laxus beat Erza after wasting magic on Kiria. And Erza needed pre prepared buffs to compete with Laxus, normal Erza is still significantly below Laxus (and by portrayal Jellal). But yes, she's surely reducing the gap as time progresses.
IMO, twin Dragons and Jellal are the only characters, outside of FT guild, that have grown relative to the main cast.

Yeah, I saw those panels. Larcade was barely even damaged by pre WSD Sting's attacks. Sting landed some hits and Laracde was barely scratched and was smirking.

Yes, I find it hard to believe that Erza can stop Kaugra's sword with a finger casually. She was being hurt by Ikaruga's sword

Normal WSD Sting would be << LFD Natsu/Erza/DS Gray/ISM Gajeel, but the WSD Sting that fought Larcade was much stronger compared to normal WSD due to being boosted by Rouge's powers as well. WSD with Rouge powers can put up a good fight against LFD Natsu/Erza.
It's similar to how Natsu's and Gajeel's dual elements mode was much stronger in their first time usage, because they had absorbed the magic power of someone else as well. WSD Sting against Larcade had a boost similar to what Natsu got against Hades (though much weaker, since Laxus >> Rouge)

But I will give you this. I guess I overrated Rough Silk and WSD Sting too much. While I disagree about the claim that Rough Silk should be not too far from Kiria's roar in attack power, I agree that it wouldn't be able to two or three shot Jellal.
 
Last edited:

Axiomus

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 10, 2015
Messages
6,526
Reaction score
11,423
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm not sure how serious we have to take Jellal's feats against Acnologia. Cause the guy jobs if he's not fighting against Dragon Slayers.
But I agree that he's the top guy in speed, 2nd only to maybe DF Natsu (among living characters).
I take all his feats at face value. His barriers are able to defend against one of Acnologia's blasts, and managed to land some hits in. Obviously Acnologia would stomp if he took Jellal seriously. But nobody here is even close to Acnologia level.
 

grey matter

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 4, 2019
Messages
6,580
Reaction score
10,155
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
India
I take all his feats at face value. His barriers are able to defend against one of Acnologia's blasts, and managed to land some hits in. Obviously Acnologia would stomp if he took Jellal seriously. But nobody here is even close to Acnologia level.
What I mean is, I don't know how to interpret these feats, relative to other characters. Yeah, he did all that but how do we use those feats to compare him to other characters?
 
Top