Discussion Joy Boy

junjun2

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
352
Reaction score
717
Gender
Hidden
Country
Earth Kindom
People are forgetting one of the most important characters in One Piece. He is perfectly suitable for Joy Boy.
Joy Boy is...
Coby
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
People are forgetting one of the most important characters in One Piece. He is perfectly suitable for Joy Boy.
Joy Boy is...
Coby
What is your basis for this? (Just curious)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think it's because Roger's hoping his successor will do what he didn't have the time to do, reveal what happened during the Void Century and change the world related to that, like possibly getting rid of the WG or changing it in a way that actually serves people instead of the Tenryuubito.
I think Roger somehow knew, maybe VOAT?, that it simply wasn’t time (his generation) for the revolution to happen.
 

TitaniumOxide

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
1,339
Reaction score
1,123
Gender
Male
Country
United States
People are forgetting one of the most important characters in One Piece. He is perfectly suitable for Joy Boy.
Joy Boy is...
Coby
Coby is a brave dude and probably is a capable fighter in his own right but until we are shown how his life mirrors Roger's, or can do VOAT, etc then he probably isn't Joyboy... This is like me saying Law is a candidate for Joyboy because he is brave and went through some crazy shit in life.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I think Roger somehow knew, maybe VOAT?, that it simply wasn’t time (his generation) for the revolution to happen.
I mean, Roger chose to go to Raftel in the later end of his years because he was sick and was going to die soon. That could be why he didn't do anything, it was too late for him, being so close to death.

I do wonder if he also hoped Whitebeard would continue the Great PIrate Age as well by telling him information. Whitebeard renewed interest in One Piece at Marineford.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I think Roger somehow knew, maybe VOAT?, that it simply wasn’t time (his generation) for the revolution to happen.
It was by reaching Laugh Tale and finding out the true history of the world that Roger realised that he and his crew had arrived too soon, which made him think back to Shyarly's prophecy about the Poseidon and the voices he heard from the sea kings also confirming how long it'd be before Shirahoshi would be born.
 
  • Like
Reactions: M3J

Monox D. I-Fly

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2020
Messages
301
Reaction score
151
Age
36
Country
Indonesia
People are forgetting one of the most important characters in One Piece. He is perfectly suitable for Joy Boy.
Joy Boy is...
Coby
I honestly thought you were referring to Pandaman.
 

Core D. Roy

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 10, 2006
Messages
7,363
Reaction score
9,272
Age
37
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I mean, Roger chose to go to Raftel in the later end of his years because he was sick and was going to die soon. That could be why he didn't do anything, it was too late for him, being so close to death.

I do wonder if he also hoped Whitebeard would continue the Great PIrate Age as well by telling him information. Whitebeard renewed interest in One Piece at Marineford.
Nah, why would Oda have all the cloak & dagger about prophecy this and "too soon" that if it's just something as simple as Roger being sick? I think it's a very deliberate mystery, and whatever they found at Laugh Tale is tied to the prophecy of Joy Boy.
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Nah, why would Oda have all the cloak & dagger about prophecy this and "too soon" that if it's just something as simple as Roger being sick? I think it's a very deliberate mystery, and whatever they found at Laugh Tale is tied to the prophecy of Joy Boy.
I think the "too soon" part is more-or-less clear.

There are some requirements to "use" the One Piece, which had not been meet yet when the Roger Pirates arrived on Raftel. And Roger wouldn't live much longer.

Perhaps one of the requirements would be Shirahoshi's birth, which Madam Shyarly predicted would happen 10 years in future.
 

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
4,272
Gender
Male
Country
France
Do you think that the 4 Blue sea entrances to the Grand Line were man-made in the distant past? They look just like built canals and these corridors do not exist at all at the New World entrance above Fishman Island.

What if the Ancient Kingdom created Reverse Mountain at the start of the Void Century with Pluton? That would mean the Grand Line was fully cut-off from the 4 Blues before the Void Century but then was connected through Paradise.
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I could see the canals being man made, but that doesn’t exactly explain how/why they move uphill. I do believe that the red line was created though, possibly as a deterrent. But after the war it was used to raise, litterally and figuratively, the celestial dragons above the world.
 

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
The canals appear to be man-made... although we do have an explanation as to how they could have been formed:



However, these structures suggest it was man-made:

 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Nah, why would Oda have all the cloak & dagger about prophecy this and "too soon" that if it's just something as simple as Roger being sick? I think it's a very deliberate mystery, and whatever they found at Laugh Tale is tied to the prophecy of Joy Boy.
I mean, someone pointed out that Shirahoshi wasn't born yet, so that might have been it as well. But I don't think Roger's sickness was that simple, it must have been bad enough that he didn't do anything else but try to inspire his successor.

Dunno, every time we think there's something complex or unpredictable behind what Oda does, the answer's usually simple.
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I still think it’s possible (not probable) that Roger IS Luffy, like Luffy sent back in time. His sickness could have been from all of the stuff Luffy did that shortened his lifespan: Gear 2, Ivankov’s hormone therapies, etc.. It would explain Roger’s confidence in everything he does, even things that should be suicidal, since he knows he will survive. (In the theory) Not to mention all of the ways they are so similar. I mean, the picture of Roger meeting Rayleigh for the first time just looks like Luffy in his mid 20s..
Addendum: Every time Roger was shown talking to people, he was behaving like he already knew the outcome. Rayleigh joining up, getting Garp to take care of Ace, stuff like that.
 
Last edited:

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I still think it’s possible (not probable) that Roger IS Luffy, like Luffy sent back in time. His sickness could have been from all of the stuff Luffy did that shortened his lifespan: Gear 2, Ivankov’s hormone therapies, etc.. It would explain Roger’s confidence in everything he does, even things that should be suicidal, since he knows he will survive. (In the theory) Not to mention all of the ways they are so similar. I mean, the picture of Roger meeting Rayleigh for the first time just looks like Luffy in his mid 20s..
Then why would he react like that the second time he finds Laugh Tale?
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Then why would he react like that the second time he finds Laugh Tale?
What are you referring to? Regarding his behavior I mean.
 

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 24, 2016
Messages
6,207
Reaction score
8,760
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
What are you referring to? Regarding his behavior I mean.
I mean, your theory is that Roger could be Luffy, right?

We know that Luffy will find One Piece within the series, so going with this theory, when he finds Laugh Tale as Roger it will be the second time he finds it. Why would he be surprised, laugh his ass off, and then comment that they arrived too early?
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I still think it’s possible (not probable) that Roger IS Luffy, like Luffy sent back in time. His sickness could have been from all of the stuff Luffy did that shortened his lifespan: Gear 2, Ivankov’s hormone therapies, etc.. It would explain Roger’s confidence in everything he does, even things that should be suicidal, since he knows he will survive. (In the theory) Not to mention all of the ways they are so similar. I mean, the picture of Roger meeting Rayleigh for the first time just looks like Luffy in his mid 20s..
Addendum: Every time Roger was shown talking to people, he was behaving like he already knew the outcome. Rayleigh joining up, getting Garp to take care of Ace, stuff like that.
I don't see how because LUffy isn't as destructive as Roger reportedly was when people messed with his friends. Luffy doesn't know whether he'll survive but he's still confident -that's the trait of Ds. They have self-confidence in themselves and intense willpower, which is what separates them from others, and why people are always shocked to see people like Luffy willing to die without hesitation or die with a smile.

Ace and Roger also look similar, and Ace and Luffy look similar as well. Roger also knew Garp's nature, and he likely figured Rayleigh would want to join as he had nothing to lose. Luffy's been the same even to crewmates that were intent on not joining.
 

Hrathgrath

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,308
Reaction score
1,817
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I mean, your theory is that Roger could be Luffy, right?

We know that Luffy will find One Piece within the series, so going with this theory, when he finds Laugh Tale as Roger it will be the second time he finds it. Why would he be surprised, laugh his ass off, and then comment that they arrived too early?
I guess I don’t remember seeing Rogers reaction when he got to Raftel (I personally like Raftel rather than Laugh Tale) I’m sure it happened, but do you know what chapter?
I don't see how because LUffy isn't as destructive as Roger reportedly was when people messed with his friends. Luffy doesn't know whether he'll survive but he's still confident -that's the trait of Ds. They have self-confidence in themselves and intense willpower, which is what separates them from others, and why people are always shocked to see people like Luffy willing to die without hesitation or die with a smile.

Ace and Roger also look similar, and Ace and Luffy look similar as well. Roger also knew Garp's nature, and he likely figured Rayleigh would want to join as he had nothing to lose. Luffy's been the same even to crewmates that were intent on not joining.
He declared war of the World Government just because they took Nami, same for Big Mom. I guess it could be confidence, because of the whole D thing, but it just seemed to me that he was behaving as if he already knew the answer (regarding Rayleigh). I understand the likelihood of the Luffy = Roger thing is low, but it does explain a few things that are otherwise a mystery.
Both can hear the VOAT. Roger had an illness that Oda hasn’t elaborated upon, (This could be because Oda feels like it’s inconsequential to his story), and Luffy has supposedly shortened his lifespan a great deal in exchange for strength and, ironically, health. And the picture of a young Roger looks a great deal like Luffy. I’m not saying that Oda is going that route, a predestination paradox, but I wouldn’t be surprised either if he did.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
He declared war of the World Government just because they took Nami, same for Big Mom. I guess it could be confidence, because of the whole D thing, but it just seemed to me that he was behaving as if he already knew the answer (regarding Rayleigh). I understand the likelihood of the Luffy = Roger thing is low, but it does explain a few things that are otherwise a mystery.
Both can hear the VOAT. Roger had an illness that Oda hasn’t elaborated upon, (This could be because Oda feels like it’s inconsequential to his story), and Luffy has supposedly shortened his lifespan a great deal in exchange for strength and, ironically, health. And the picture of a young Roger looks a great deal like Luffy. I’m not saying that Oda is going that route, a predestination paradox, but I wouldn’t be surprised either if he did.
That's not countering my point though. Declaring war isn't the same as actively trying to destroy the forces, and Luffy hasn't done that. Plus, I think Roger was said to do that to other pirate crews and groups, not necessarily the World Government.

It's a shounen though, if anything else the main character will likely be close to the legend of the series in terms of personality and what else, like Naruto was to Hashirama. Luffy is considered the man protected by fate, and several characters like the former queen of Amazon Lily and Mihawk have commented on this. Plus, Momonosuke can hear voices too, or at least Zunisha's voice.
 

kazekaze_yuki

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 26, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
17
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Vietnam
I have a theory: Joy Boy was divided his soul into 9 pieces and put into 9 Rio Poneglyph. Only the user of Yomi yomi no mi could able to awake his soul.
 
Top