Done [JP] Need help with some sentences

KazeYuki

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
New Zealand
Could someone please help me with these sentences?

I have no idea what キョドーフっシーン means.
Translation: You're _____ but innocent.

最初は週末ごとに来て慣らしていい とも仰ってたわ
Translation: You also said that you would be okay with getting used to coming each weekend at first. - not sure if this is translated correctly.

Translation: You went through the trouble of following the President and transferring to Seisou so
I wondered how motivated the people coming would be…
Why did you two come to Seisou?

I'm getting confused with the second line: どんなにヤル気のある人達が来るかと思えば。。。
What would 思えば mean in this context?
I can't work out how どんな ~ か is translated in this sentence.

Context: A stole B's cello so B can't practice and get better then A. B see's A with his cello and confronts him about it.
Translation: If you're going to go as far as backbiting, ____________
I'm having trouble with the second part of the sentence.

Thank you for all your help.
 
Last edited:

lucifell

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 5, 2009
Messages
14
Reaction score
7
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
1. This line is きょどうふしん, (to act or behave suspiciously)

2. I would translate this line the same. So either you are correct or we are both incorrect. Sorry can't be more help, hah.

3. Your translation of this line is fairly accurate. My basic translation of it would be: "Since you specifically followed the president here --/-- I wondered about how much determination those who came here could have... --/-- For what reason have you come to Seisou? (Reword it as you see fit)

4. The 2nd part of this sentence is a formally spoken version of どうということはない which is an expression meaning (nothing special, no big deal, doesn't matter)

I hope I could be of some help ^_^
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
仰ってたわ

おっしゃる(仰る):an honorific form (尊敬語) of "say" (言う)

I wonder if the subject of 仰る is the 部長(club president).
 
Last edited:

KazeYuki

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
New Zealand
The club president line is actually from a different manga.

The whole page is here:


The girl character was introduced on this page so the only context I have is on the page.
I'm guessing that the subject of 仰る is the boy she's talking to.
 

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I don't think the speaker (the person who 仰る) is the boy. (It sounds strange.) They are perhaps the boy's parents, if not a teacher or other adult figures, depends on the context.

Edit/Add:
If I had only this page to translate, I would consider "your parents" as the speakers.
1) The lady's speech pattern towards the boy is casual: for example "どうかした?(What is it?)" Using honorific form does not make any sense.
2) The only adult figure(s) on the page is: ご両親 (your parents).

If you think the boy's parents allowed him to make a visit every weekend, they are the speakers/subject of 仰る.
 
Last edited:

KazeYuki

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 27, 2009
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
New Zealand
Since でしょう is used, would the line いきなりは難しいでしょうし also be part of quote?

I don't have any other context so I'm not sure who is saying it or if it's really the boy who has been given permission.
Would it be okay to use 'they' instead and also not mention who is allowed to visit?
Translation: It'll be hard to do it all of a sudden. They also said... it'll be okay at first to get used to coming every weekend.

I also have two more lines I'm having trouble with
1) わっかたはわっかたけど 今すぐ全部どうこうできるわけでもないけど
Translation: I know what I know but it doesn't always mean that I can do everything immediately.
Context: Girl saying this plays the violin and knows that she doesn't play well and there's something missing when she plays.

I have problems with わっかたはわっかた and I can't work out what どうこうできる means.

2) 腐っても 部長の弟。。。ってか
Context: People are talking about how the president's brother doesn't seem to practice playing the violin much but he's still playing really well. The President is really good at playing violin.
Translation: Even if he's _____, he's the club president's younger brother...

Thank you for all your help :)
 
Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
1,371
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Since でしょう is used, would the line いきなりは難しいでしょうし also be part of quote?

I don't have any other context so I'm not sure who is saying it or if it's really the boy who has been given permission.
Would it be okay to use 'they' instead and also not mention who is allowed to visit?
Translation: It'll be hard to do it all of a sudden. They also said... it'll be okay at first to get used to coming every weekend.
Your translation sounds fine. Since they are 2 separate bubbles, you could make the translation neutral: It might be difficult at first. or the way you translated. (I don't think it's part of the quote, but it doesn't matter too much regardless. Reason: でしょうし is used instead of から or だろうから)

I also have two more lines I'm having trouble with
1) わっかたはわっかたけど 今すぐ全部どうこうできるわけでもないけど
Translation: I know what I know but it doesn't always mean that I can do everything immediately.
Context: Girl saying this plays the violin and knows that she doesn't play well and there's something missing when she plays.

I have problems with わっかたはわっかた and I can't work out what どうこうできる means.
わかったはわかったけど=一応わかったけれど
I understand (it) but, ....

It is similar to わかったけれど but わかったはわかったけれど emphasizes that the speaker still has a problem. It is used when someone has complaints while understanding the situation/reasons.

どうこうできるわけでもない: It is not that I can do anything about it. (In short:There is nothing I can do.)

2) 腐っても 部長の弟。。。ってか
Context: People are talking about how the president's brother doesn't seem to practice playing the violin much but he's still playing really well. The President is really good at playing violin.
Translation: Even if he's _____, he's the club president's younger brother...

Thank you for all your help :)
腐っても: regardless how bad someone is
In this context - Whatever he does, he is the club president's younger brother after all.
 
Top