Help - [JP] The Official Kanji Ask-for-Help Thread | Page 10 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Help [JP] The Official Kanji Ask-for-Help Thread

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Short & Quick Translation Request Thread (Thread for members with little/no JP knowledge. OP for instruction.)

Please... help with this name...
監督:Director
岸 誠二: Seiji Kishi (Notes - Surname: 岸; Kishi, Given Name: 誠二 Seiji; Japanese Surnames/Last names come before given names.)

About the person: link (English Wiki; Japanese Wiki

Ana Clara

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
What kanji is that?

Nic13012

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Thailand

I'm not good with Kanji, and it's in handwrighting so I'm not sure I get it right

それって他力本願
-.....(no idea)

本気で引かないで下さい
-"Do not take it seriously" ?

だから段の会話に テストに出そうな問題及び答えを自然れたら
奴果的な勉強になるのではないかと..!
-"if you can talk about something that will be on the test" ?
-"it would be very helpful...!" ?

Ju-da-su

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Thailand

I'm not good with Kanji, and it's in handwrighting so I'm not sure I get it right

それって他力本願
-.....(no idea)

本気で引かないで下さい
-"Do not take it seriously" ?

だから段の会話に テストに出そうな問題及び答えを自然れたら
奴果的な勉強になるのではないかと..!
-"if you can talk about something that will be on the test" ?
-"it would be very helpful...!" ?
First and second one are already correct.

Third one:
だから普段の会話にテストに出そうな問題及び答えを自然に入れたら
効果的な勉強法になるではないかと…!
"So if you can add some questions and answers that might be in the test in our daily conversation,
wouldn't it be one effective way of studying...!?"

As for the translation of the first one...Can't think of a good English phrase, but something along the line of..."That's over-dependency...", I think.

Last edited:

DeathDealer

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico

what do these kanji I have highlighted here (little white arrows) mean in and out of context
if you can't read the furigana the 1st says "somu" and the 2nd "nusu"

serizawa

ならぬことはならぬ
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
The first one means "to go against" (反く、probably having the same meaning as 叛く)
The second one means "to steal" (or "to go unnoticed", but this doesn't seem to be the case here) 盗む

Hope this helps...

DeathDealer

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
yeah that's the problem though, they don't make much sense within the context of what's going on, at least not to me

Aarowaim

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@DeathDealer: The kanji seem to be dissonant from modern Japanese.

背き = somuki = the act of opposing/rebelling against. To highlight this meaning, the writer chose to use the kanji which literally means 'anti/opposite'.
盗み = nusumi = the act of stealing

When a verb ends in the 'i' sound (い, き, り), it literally acts like a noun that means 'the act of doing...'. As for the kanji, they don't actually have a meaning on their own (not in Japanese). Kanji gain their meaning from the Japanese words they are used in. The meaning is entirely separate from the Chinese words that the kanji originally represented, and which first inspired their use for Japanese words.

In context, 盗む means 'steal'. Out, 盗 is used in words that involve thievery, including a few words for fraud.
In context, 反き is just an aesthetic version of 背き that clarifies (may also be a play on 反旗/hanki/, which means revolt). Out of context 反 is used to represent the end result, or opposite force and can be tacked onto words to represent this (as the 'han' prefix).

The sentence, if you're looking for translation aid, is
天に反き聖を凌ぎ、円を盗みて大倫を乱す……
"Defiling holiness and opposing heaven, stealing sincerity disturbs tairin*...
*大倫: The path of ethics that people must walk
Note: 丹 is the actual kanji used, however, it is another use of old philosophy, indicating archaic Japanese. It appears to mean 'sincerity', but in the context, it looks very similar to money (円)

Last edited:

DeathDealer

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
so something more along the lines of "taking away" rather than the actual act of stealing...taking away innocence or lacking morality??

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Hi DeathDealer

What you've said is more or less correct as far as I'm concerned. However, I would keep the "steal" meaning within the phrase, because of the nature of the word 丹. The reason 盗む (steal; take in secret) is used instead of something like 奪う (forcibly take away) because this concerns conscience and morality; people's conscience for morality 'changes' without themselves knowing. If they acknowledged their own changing morality then I wouldn't exactly call that losing conscience for morality, rather they're just actively defying their conscience. As you can see from this perspective, this is a much more significant and deeply-rooted problem within said people's hearts.

As an aside, although I'm not an expert in where words come from, I can tell you what I know and my interpretation of 丹. As Aarowaim has suggested, 丹 has a philosophical origin. The source is most likely Chinese; it's just a guess but the kanji probably got caught on in 'Japan' when the two nations share with each other their culture at least 2000 years ago.

If you take a look at this page, you will find there are many idioms with the word 丹. Some of these terms are very notably used in either poems or philosophical texts from China, but the consistency within all those examples is that, the main idea of the word means " absolute sincerity," "honesty," "being crystal clear." In a number of famous Chinese poems, this quality is suggested to transcend time.

Hope this makes a bit of sense.

Aarowaim

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey again everyone, I just bumped into some interesting font that I can't quite read and I need your help with one kanji and for double-checking on the rest...

Here's the offending page:
I'm having issues with that lovely writing on the business card. What I have so far:
迫田さゆり (?田さゆ?) = Sayuri Sakota, but I'm not sure of the first and last character
絵画展 = painting exhibition (not sure of the last kanji, but looks similar to 「個展」の第二の字)
~花~ = ~flower(s)~ (I never really understood why they put solitary kanji. Is that the title of the exhibition?)

Other than that, I have a handle of the actual Japanese on the page, but I'm not sure of the reading for Sayuri's name because her name only appears this once. Thanks in advance for your help ^_^

Last edited:

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Hey again everyone, I just bumped into some interesting font that I can't quite read and I need your help with one kanji and for double-checking on the rest...

Here's the offending page:
I'm having issues with that lovely writing on the business card. What I have so far:
迫田さゆり (?田さゆ?) = Sayuri Sakota, but I'm not sure of the first and last character
絵画展 = painting exhibition (not sure of the last kanji, but looks similar to 「個展」の第二の字)
~花~ = ~flower(s)~ (I never really understood why they put solitary kanji. Is that the title of the exhibition?)

Other than that, I have a handle of the actual Japanese on the page, but I'm not sure of the reading for Sayuri's name because her name only appears this once. Thanks in advance for your help ^_^
Hey Aarowaim

You've got that perfectly right ^^
It is exactly as you've said:
迫田さゆり
絵画展
~花~

~花~ does sound like the title of the exhibition indeed. It's not an uncommon decision at all (use of single kanji,) and works especially well in an artistic/poetic sense.

Aarowaim

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Alright, thanks ^_^

I was a little worried, because the font had me scratching my head at first.

Seelentau

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I can't find the Kanji highlighted in this picture:

It looks like
So it's probably written with 月. It also seems to have only one Kana as Furigana, since the next Kanji is 炎 'en', which has two Furigana and the whole word has three in total, so there's only one Kana left for that Kanji.

I tried to zoom in a bit, but that doesn't make it better, huh?^^

nesean

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada

It looks like
So it's probably written with 月. It also seems to have only one Kana as Furigana, since the next Kanji is 炎 'en', which has two Furigana and the whole word has three in total, so there's only one Kana left for that Kanji.

Looks like "飛" to me. Those three kana together = "飛炎" .
Sort of like how 今日 is きょう "kyou" and not "ima" + "hi"

(someone correct me if I'm wrong..)

Last edited:

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States

It looks like

Sorry, I no longer watch Naruto, and it's hard to guess what it is. The ones on the left are 炎遁・加具土命(えんとん・かぐつち), but it's hard to ses see the one on the right.
Could you remove the RED box just in case? What game is it by the way? You may want to find the list of jutsu names used in the Naruto game.

Last edited:

Seelentau

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yes, it's 飛炎 'hien', thanks guys! :)

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, it's 飛炎 'hien', thanks guys! :)
It does look like 飛 by looking at it, and 飛炎 (ひえん) seems to fit there perfectly. The problem that I have is that the hiragana letter on top of 飛 doesn't look like "ひ" to me. It almost looks like う.

飛: ひ・と [reference link]

cmertb

Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Can anyone read the kanji here? http://puu.sh/6Jfir.jpg I'm tempted to say 完璧青, but that second kanji doesn't look quite right. In particular, the top right radical seems to be 寸 rather than 辛. The possible meaning of this phrase would also be helpful. TIA!

Also, is this http://puu.sh/6Jlde.jpg 劇場 with some sort of simplified kanji, or something else?

Last edited: