Jugulators II | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Jugulators II

Silhouette

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
It's been a while since the last time Ichigo had this look on his face

Ver II

Last edited:

Sarada

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Ok I'll give you a review of it, cuz i think you'd benifit more from that than you do from 10 people saying 'oh it looks good'

skin:
still doing the nose ... you do it in all your pics. you should tone down on the realism, unless you plan on redrawing his entire face in realistic style, kubo doesn't draw realistic noses, trying to fit one on his characters is pretty useless. Make it more manga-ish.
Skin tone is a bit too dark, but that's no biggy, you do well with the muscles, only in the neck area it looks a bit meh, it needs more depth, plus the chin will give a shadow on it.
Also, some shadow from the hair would've been nice.

Hair:
too dark, it probably makes it easier to do his hair, but if you have a tablet, and even when you haven't, you could add extra hair, and you can also go outside the lineart with it, since you are able to do fine hairstrands.

Eyes:
you always make the eyewhite a bit too greyish.

Overal:
The JUGULATORS could have used more attention, really drawing attention to that, instead of the 2 added color blobs. You're distracting attention from a perfectly hot looking title to some added stuff that doesn't have any real meaning.

Also, your style, to me, looks always very blurred, like you think, I do softshading, it's gotta be as soft as possible. I'd like to see you do the shading in a not so soft manner, cuz you do know how to shade, but don't use that soft brush as much, don't oversmudge stuff. It also makes the lineart look out of place. It also looks weird if you redraw his nose, leaving no lineart, and don't do it on the mouth or eyes. Either leave the nose lineart, or be prepared to redraw the WHOLE page.

I'll say it again, it's not to critisize you or make you feel bad, I just want to point some stuff out to you so you can improve on it. I know it will help you tons more, cuz I had a certain someone who did it to me too, going 'your hair sucks!!', and it helped me improve. The positive comments help you be motivated, but they don't help you get better.

Silhouette

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Wow the Jugulators ain't worthy of such a review

The hair: I don't have tablets and I would love to colour the hair as good as you do but with only a mouse it's impossible to be precise and smooth at the same time and I won't spend 10 hours drawing paths so help me God I will take short cuts

The shadow on the neck I agree wid you

The nose: Bleach characters get really good deals on nose jobs this is why

The shading: how soft a shading looks good is matter of personal preference.

Thanks Sarada, I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a big review ^^

PS: colour blobs are fun
PSS: what's a good tablet while we are at it?

Sarada

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Wacom, expensive but I hear it good.

I don't know any other brands, but i have a Trust, and some would say it sucks, but I don't have any bad experiences with mine, so in essence, I got a fucking HUUUGE tablet for less than 100 euro's. And by huge I mean my work space is larger than A4.

About the softness, you should take example as to how 'soft' the big colorers do it, like Vhea, DD, Ogar, Amaretti .... You'll see they have a lot more structure and sharpness in the shadings. But i would agree it's hard to color without a tablet.

Silhouette

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Thanks for the info ^^, I will check 'em out when I can afford them.

Added V2 to 1st post

abu_89

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
you could also use the shape dynamics with fade at different pixel settings. Lets you make semi-good hair on mouse well.. :D

Silhouette

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Sounds like a good suggestion abu_89 but I don't know how to use that function (^^ !) if you have a link explaining how to do it I would really appreciate it :)

abu_89

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
no link but go to the top-right area of Photoshop and you'll see a Brushes tab. Drop it down and click on shape dynamics. You can set Size Jitter here (better to keep it 0%) and under the drop down, select Fade (pen pressure for tablets.. :P). Lets you create tablet-like effects on lines but the distance depends on how many pixels you select. Also try out the scattering, color jitters, etc.. :D

Silhouette

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Man it's perfect, thanks a lot for telling me about it ^^