Mag Talk Jump SQ (Shueisha)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barksrae

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 31, 2009
Messages
45
Reaction score
16
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Actually, Stan Lee's just credited for coming up with the idea, Takei actually does the drawing and writing, so it's probably just from decreased sales and Takei having other stuff.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Actually, Stan Lee's just credited for coming up with the idea, Takei actually does the drawing and writing, so it's probably just from decreased sales and Takei having other stuff.
Stan Lee creates a story and send it to Takei, then Takei reads it and he edits the story to make suitable for Japanese audience.
 

Barksrae

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 31, 2009
Messages
45
Reaction score
16
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Really? I always thought otherwise because the volumes always say that Stan Lee came up with it and Takei's the one making a story, but I guess that makes sense.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Really? I always thought otherwise because the volumes always say that Stan Lee came up with it and Takei's the one making a story, but I guess that makes sense.
That's what it said from JanBang.
 

andysislands

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Messages
152
Reaction score
137
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You can know that Stan Lee doesn't have that much of an input on Ultimo by looking at how he is credited in recent volumes. It's no longer "story by" for Stan Leem more like "Concept by."

For each chapter of Ultimo there is basically one VoIP/skype call to go over the contents of the chapter. Basically the rough idea. Around every 6 months or so, Takei flies out to the USA to meet with Stan Lee in person to work out the next 6 chapters of the series. Ever wonder why Hiroyuki Takei kept showing up to SDCC and NYCC? Shueisha just bundles it all into a single business trip, which includes a face-to-face with Stan Lee. I think it's happened about 3 or 4 times at I'm aware of. Now with Ultimo moving to Jump SQ 19... who knows how that will work now.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
For each chapter of Ultimo there is basically one VoIP/skype call to go over the contents of the chapter. Basically the rough idea. Around every 6 months or so, Takei flies out to the USA to meet with Stan Lee in person to work out the next 6 chapters of the series. Ever wonder why Hiroyuki Takei kept showing up to SDCC and NYCC? Shueisha just bundles it all into a single business trip, which includes a face-to-face with Stan Lee. I think it's happened about 3 or 4 times at I'm aware of.
Can you provide source for that?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Just google "ultimo takei interview" bro. You'll find hours upon hours interviews, often with Stan Lee, detailing the creation of and creative process behind Ultimo. They've been speaking at comic cons in the states ever since the project was announced. The most recent was over the summer. The man does give interviews, often providing more details about himself than Jump Bang does :teehee

Seriously though: as the head of the best known English language Takei fansite and Manga Editor, I think Andy can be taken at his word. Takei and Stan Lee are pretty talkative guys, there are plenty of details about how they collaborate, Jump Bang being possibly the worst source. Unless the episode being referenced included an interview with Stan Lee and Takei :oh

After spending about three minutes checking google and youtube for interviews the horrible truth emerged: Stan Lee creates a concept for each chapter and provides Takei with rough storyboards. Takei will use the storyboards to write and draw the chapter. Thus Stan Lee is not credited with the "story" but with the "concept". With a few minutes of research the truth shall be set free :super
 

calimike

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2011
Messages
347
Reaction score
417
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Last edited:

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Poor Jump SQ. They keep getting Weekly Shonen Jump's leftovers. I doubt Rorouni Kenshin would work out in such a competitive magazine, so this move does make sense, but SQ is highly saturated with old WSJ series/authors at the moment.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's not leftover, it's a tie in. The movie is coming out in August, the "reboot" manga starts in May. That allows for four chapters, one volume, to be serialized, with the fourth and final chapter released the same month the movie comes out. It has already been announced that Embalming will return in the fall, though the month has not been specified. Watsuki is currently under contract with SQ, not WSJ, so it makes sense that SQ will handle the reboot. Besides, to serialize an entire volumes worth of material in WSJ he would have to write ten chapters. SQ will only require 4 - 6.

The Rurouni Kenshin movie is actually a really big deal, not a typical manga adaption. It is a big budget movie produced by Warner Brothers, an American studio. The intention is to not only have a hit in Japan but for an international theatrical run, not just airing at comic conventions and then going straight to DVD. I expect quite a few tie ins this winter and spring, not just the manga reboot.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
It's not leftover, it's a tie in.
I also thought on this way. A new Rurouni Kenshin will be a just advertisement for upcoming live-adaptation.

However, it is true that SQ has been too much dependent on a well known WSJ authors. I know they have to dependent on big names because SQ is still a young magazine and a newbie will be very difficult to be famous in a young magazine.

But, since SQ manages to getting many hit series (actually, I think SQ carries more hit series than Sunday); so I want a SQ to produce their own mangakas rather still be dependent to Shonen Jump.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I assume that Rurouni Kenshin (2011) will be serialized for only a brief period since it's more like a gaiden rather than a stand alone series.

But, since SQ manages to getting many hit series (actually, I think SQ carries more hit series than Sunday); so I want a SQ to produce their own mangakas rather still be dependent to Shonen Jump.
I agree with everything you said; especially the bolded. Right now SQ is the only magazine I'm willing to fish out money (and shipping fees) for so I hope they can have more successful titles that are entirely their own making.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I agree with everything you said; especially the bolded. Right now SQ is the only magazine I'm willing to fish out money (and shipping fees) for so I hope they can have more successful titles that are entirely their own making.
I think the SQ editors are beginning to focus on producing their own mangakas since 2011. But, the problem will be if they will be a successful. I think the editors are pushing Boku to Majo no Jikan and 1/11 Juuichi Bun no Ichi since they got a vomic pretty fast.
 

Nagashiwa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2010
Messages
100
Reaction score
50
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
does someone knows where I can find scans of: Debichiru?
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner


Based on that picture, there might going to be total of five new series; 1/11 Juuichi Bun no Ichi, Teiichi no Kuni, Gokigen Steady, G-Maru Edition(?), and unknown series.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Based on that picture, there might going to be total of five new series; 1/11 Juuichi Bun no Ichi, Teiichi no Kuni, Gokigen Steady, G-Maru Edition(?), and unknown series.
why are there so many new series?
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
why are there so many new series?
Because there are many series have ended/axed/moved/hiatus.

Mitokon ended on last September and no series have replaced that place; Luck Stealer, Gekka Bijin, and Shonbori Onsen have ended on this month's issue; Ultimo has moved to SQ.19; and Embalming will be absent until autumn (but, I think Embalming's place will be filled by Rurouni Kenshin).
 
Last edited by a moderator:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
So RK is coming back on SQ? What, like a rerun?
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
So RK is coming back on SQ? What, like a rerun?
It is said a reboot of RK. Everyone is expecting that it will be a mini-series since Embalming will be returning on autumn (plus, I think new RK is kind of feel like to advertise live-adaptation of RK).
 

Niko_kun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
917
Reaction score
1,160
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
.

---------- Post added January 28, 2012 at 01:07 PM ---------- Previous post was January 25, 2012 at 02:10 PM ----------

Cover SQ #3

 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top