Artist - K-Pop Appreciation Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Artist K-Pop Appreciation Thread

Your favorite member and favorite song

• Lee Joon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • G.O

• "Oh yeah"

• "it's war"

• "Stay"

• "Y"

• "baby U"

• "Bang Bang"

• Total voters

GB

The OMO King
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan

Hello fellow K-pop fans

I was thinking to make a thread for 10 most famous K-pop groups (Girls/boys) group.Give a bit of background on each group and some information on each member.Basically to make the community more familiar with the current core of K-pop.At the end of each day I will have a poll to see which member or maybe a song you liked the most, I am not too sure about that yet.^^ Well anyway, today we look at:

SNSD

Background:

Snsd is a nine-member South Korean pop girl group formed by S.M. Entertainment in 2007. They are known in Japan as Shoujo Jidai (Japanese: 少女時代) and are referred to as SoShi (소시) or SNSD by their fans, both abbreviated forms of the group's Korean name. The group consists of Taeyeon, Jessica, Sunny, Tiffany, Hyoyeon, Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona and Seohyun. They sold over 100,000 copies for each of their six Korean releases, making them the first female group in the South Korean music industry to do so in over six years.
They gained attention at the beginning of their career with songs such as "Into The New World", "Kissing You" and "Baby Baby". However, it was not until 2009, they gained immense popularity with their hit single "Gee", which holds the record for being the longest running number one song on KBS Music Bank, having held the number one chart ranking for nine consecutive weeks. "Gee" was named 'song of the decade' by the Korean music site, Melon. The group solidified their place in the Korean music industry with follow-up singles "Tell Me Your Wish (Genie)", "Run Devil Run", and "Oh!".
The group began a foray into the Japanese music scene in late 2010 under Nayutawave Records, a label part of Universal Music Group, with the Japanese remakes of their 2009 Korean hits "Genie" and "Gee." The group's debut Japanese album, Girls' Generation, released in June 2011, is currently the highest selling album in Japan by a Korean group in Oricon history. The album quickly became their most successful album to date, being certified 'Million' by the RIAJ and made the group the second Korean artist to earn this achievement in Japan since Korean labelmate BoA's "Best of Soul" in 2005.
In 2011, they returned to the Korean music scene with "The Boys", which was released in three languages: Korean, Japanese, and for the first time, English. At the start of 2012, the group performed the English version of "The Boys" on the late night talk show Late Show with David Letterman and on the daytime talk show Live! with Kelly, becoming the first Korean musical act to perform on each show, and the first Korean act to perform on syndicated television in the United States. In the same year, the group formed their first sub-unit, entitled Girls' Generation-TTS, or simply "TaeTiSeo", composed of members Taeyeon, Tiffany, and Seohyun. The subgroup's debut EP, Twinkle, peaked at #136 on the Billboard 200, becoming the highest charting K-Pop album on the chart thus far. They returned to the Japanese music scene in June 2012, with "Paparazzi", the lead single from their second Japanese album.

Each Member:
1.Taeyeon(Kim Taeyeon,Nickname: ggoggoma leader Taeyeon)

Position Leader and main vocalist of SNSD

2.Hyoyeon (Kim Hyoyeon, Nickname: Dancing Queen Hyoyeon)

Position Supporting Vocalist/Main Dancer

3.Seohyun(Seo Joohyun,Nickname:maknae Seohyun)

Position Lead Vocalist

4. Sooyoung (Choi Sooyoung,Nickname:Lively Princess Sooyoung )

Position Supporting Vocalist main dancer

5.Yoona (Charming Girl Yoona)

Position Supporting Vocalist Main Dancer

6. Jessica (Jessica Jung, Nickname: Ice Princess Jessica)

Position Main Vocalist

7.Tiffany(Tiffany Hwang,Nickname:Brighter than Jewels Tiffany)

Position Lead Vocalist

8. Sunny ( Lee Sunkyu, nickname: Energy Source Sunny)

Position Lead Vocalist

9. Yuri (Kwon Yuri, Nickname: Black Pearl Yuri)

Position Supporting Vocalist/Second Main Dancer

Some of their songs:
Debut Song "Into the new World"

"Honey"

"ooh la La"

"So Nyeo Shi Dae"

"Baby Baby"

"Gee" :yay

Oh!

"Tell me your wish"

"Mr.Taxi"

"Hoot"
[videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHszBQshqKM&feature=related[/video]

"Cabi Song" ( together with 2 pm)

"Run Devil Run"

"The boys"

Also i really liked Taeyeon's and Tiffany's singles covers. Love their English :super

Taeyeon: 'Hush Hush"

Tiffany: "Umbrella"

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've become a fan of Seohyun after hearing her sing. That gurl can saaang.
Other than her some of my other favorites are: Yoona, Yuri and Tayeon.
Anyways awesome thread / idea Lulu. Can't wait to see what you do with this place.

Reactions: GB

GB

The OMO King
Reaction score
Country
Japan
thanks Chu chu, I appreciate that. My favourites are Tiffler,Jess and Hyo!!!

Btw did you know Tiffany's birth name was Stephanie?

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I know and you know there is another girl with the name Steph as well? So I maybe recalling it wrong but I believe thats why she chose Tiff.
Tiff is pure gorgeousness.

GB

The OMO King
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Yeah I know and you know there is another girl with the name Steph as well? So I maybe recalling it wrong but I believe thats why she chose Tiff.
Tiff is pure gorgeousness.
Yes Stephanie from the CSJH The Grace?

kakashi919

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
:zomg :fangirl

My favourite used to be Tiffany, but I can't choose between her and Hyoyeon Kim :gwah
My favourite song is "Oh!" btw :XD

GB

The OMO King
Reaction score
Country
Japan
:zomg :fangirl

My favourite used to be Tiffany, but I can't choose between her and Hyoyeon Kim :gwah
My favourite song is "Oh!" btw :XD
wait a bit Ill post a song poll in a couple of hours!Looking forward for your pick!

kakashi919

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Oh! better be a choice :pwnge

GB

The OMO King
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Oh! better be a choice :pwnge
I added Oh! to the videos.Sorry I completely forgot about that song! Btw if anyone interested after tomorrow boy group review i guess, I will be also taking any group pick suggestions, if you guys are interested!

kakashi919

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I added Oh! to the videos.Sorry I completely forgot about that song! Btw if anyone interested after tomorrow boy group review i guess, I will be also taking any group pick suggestions, if you guys are interested!
Yay :XD

Well, honestly the only boy groups I listen to is Beast and Mblaq....:oh And I only listen to one song from Beast lol.

GB

The OMO King
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Yay :XD

Well, honestly the only boy groups I listen to is Beast and Mblaq....:oh And I only listen to one song from Beast lol.
I know.Our tastes are similiar. However taking Suggestions after my tomorrow's review.So think of any girls group you'd want to see in here.Maybe 2ne1?Just a thought :XD

kakashi919

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
I know.Our tastes are similiar. However taking Suggestions after my tomorrow's review.So think of any girls group you'd want to see in here.Maybe 2ne1?Just a thought :XD
2NE1 or 4Minute please :D
Minzy and Jiyoon :drool :fangirl

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I listen to SNSD quite a bit, but not that huge fan. I'm in love with Taeyeon, I guess, since she sang for King 2 Hearts' soundtrack (Missing You Like Crazy) which is like super awesome. Aside from her I couldn't tell anyone from the group apart, they look all the same to me, LOL~

P.S.: I love The Boys and Mr Taxi, hoh. :toc

GB

The OMO King
Reaction score
Country
Japan
I listen to SNSD quite a bit, but not that huge fan. I'm in love with Taeyeon, I guess, since she sang for King 2 Hearts' soundtrack (Missing You Like Crazy) which is like super awesome. Aside from her I couldn't tell anyone from the group apart, they look all the same to me, LOL~

P.S.: I love The Boys and Mr Taxi, hoh. :toc
yup King 2 hearts Ost was awesome! Wanna share with you some of Taeyeon awesomness then :hee:

Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Run Devil Run is the best song they've done. Echo and Star Star Star are good songs too that aren't in the poll.

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
I like quite a few of the songs listed here but its hard to pick a favorite per-se. I chose the english song from Tay chan. Its been a while since I listened to her english songs. Me gusta.

kakashi919

Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Oh should win... it's their best song evar :ninja

GB

The OMO King
Reaction score
Country
Japan

MBLAQ

Background:

(Korean: 엠블랙, Japanese: エムブラック; an acronym for Music Boys Live in Absolute Quality) is a South Korean quintet male vocal group created by South-Korean entertainer Rain under J.Tune Camp. The group consists of Seungho, G.O, Lee Joon, Thunder/Cheondung, and Mir. The group debuted on October 9, 2009, at Rain's Legend of Rainism concert.
On October 14, 2009, the group released their debut single album, Just BLAQ, which topped various online and offline music charts in South Korea.[1] The group then released their first extended play album Y on May 19, 2010, and on January 10, 2011, MBLAQ released their first studio album, BLAQ Style.
In 2012, J. Tune Camp announced that MBLAQ members Mir and G.O will split into a sub-unit. The sub-unit was originally going to debut back in May, but since MBLAQ got their first Asia Tour and G.O's filming of Phantom. Yet the sub-unit didn't get a name and their debut was postponed. But on MBLAQ's first Asia Tour, the sub-unit released their first single, Wild.

MBLAQ was first announced on September 21, 2009 with an appearance in Nylon magazine, after having trained for two years. The group appeared alongside Rain, in his Legend of Rainism concert. They performed various songs from their produced EP, Just BLAQ and were met with praise, with many spectators at the concert and fans considering them as the next DBSK. The group released teasers for their debut song, "Oh Yeah" on October 12, 2009 with the music video being released two days later.Coinciding with the music video, MBLAQ's debut single album "Just BLAQ", was released on the same day, topping various charts in South Korea. The next day, the group made their broadcast debut on M.net's M! Countdown with "Oh Yeah".

On May 19, 2010, the group released their second single album, Y, a track that Rain wrote, composed, produced and choreographed.[10] The music video for the title track, "Y", was released on the same day at midnight with teasers being released from May 6.[10][11] MBLAQ claimed first place on June 3, 2010 on M! Countdown,[12] and were voted the best Rookie Group for the first half of 2010 through a poll conducted by Korean music site Bugs, obtaining 46% of the votes.[13]
On December 29, 2010, MBLAQ released a teaser music video, featuring their song "Cry", for their upcoming full-length album, BLAQ Style.
On December 30, 2010, J.Tune Entertainment merged with JYP Entertainment. However, as MBLAQ is part of J.Tune Camp, they are not considered as part of JYP Entertainment.
In early December, the group debuted in Japan, following their performance during Rain's fan meeting. Their performance resulted in a documentary being produced surrounding their stay in Japan. Later that month, the group commenced promotions for their follow up track, "G.O.O.D Luv". Two music videos were released: an 'unofficial' music video prior to the 'official' music video, which was released on December 10, 2009.

MBLAQ were initially scheduled for a November 2010 return, however in December J.Tune Camp revealed that MBLAQ would be returning to the music scene in January, 2011 instead. MBLAQ displayed advertisements on buses and bus stops in Seoul prior to the release of their album. It was also revealed that MBLAQ participated in the production of BLAQ Style, personally choosing all songs present on the album. Seungho stated "As a form of independence [from Rain], we personally chose all of the songs and participated in the production", with Seungho composing and playing the piano for the introductory track "Sad Memories" and Mir writing the rap lyrics for "You're my +".
On January 3, 2011, J.Tune Camp released MBLAQ's music video for "Cry" on Youtube, an R&B track produced by E-Tribe.[19] The video gained more than 500,000 views within a week.[20][21] In between the release of the "Cry" music video and their album, MBLAQ revealed album jacket photos for BLAQ Style. Prior to their album's release, MBLAQ held a fan-meet for 1,500 fans on January 9, where the fans were able to watch the first performance of "Cry" and also the then yet-to-be revealed title track "Stay". On the same day J.Tune Camp announced that MBLAQ would be debuting in Japan in May, signing with Sony Music Japan.
On January 10, 2011, MBLAQ released their first studio album, titled BLAQ Style, and two music video teasers for their track "Stay". After only one day of the album's release, MBLAQ recorded 25,000 orders for BLAQ Style. The next day J.Tune Camp released the full music video for Stay on Youtube, which gained more than 400,000 in a week.
On January 13, MBLAQ returned to the stage on Mnet's M! Countdown,[26] followed by comeback performances on the 14th, 15th and 16th at KBS's Music Bank, MBC's Music Core, and SBS's Inkigayo respectively.
MBLAQ were named Artist of the Month by MTV Korea for the month of February. They then released a repackaged version of their studio album, titled BLAQ Style - 3D Edition on February 22, 2011. The album consists of the 13 tracks from BLAQ Style, as well as three new tracks. Two of the three new tracks included MBLAQ's participation in its production.The track "돌아올 수 없는 (Can't Come Back)" was composed by G.O and the lyrics were written by both G.O and Mir, while the song titled "You" was written and composed by Thunder. When it was released, BLAQ Style 3D reached number one on the Hanteo charts. "Again", their last new song from BLAQ Style - 3D Edition, was used to promote The Fighter in South Korea.
BLAQ Style 3D was released in Taiwan as a licensed album on the March 18, 2011, and reached the number one spot from March 18 to 24 on Taiwan's G-Music chart under the K-pop and J-pop category without any promotions.
J.Tune Camp held a press conference towards the end of January with Japanese press regarding their official Japanese debut plans.
In February, MBLAQ visited Japan to record songs and to have a photo shoot for their album. Upon their arrival, 800 reporters and fans were gathered at the airport. MBLAQ released their Japanese album on May 4, 2011, with live performances held at Osaka, Sapporo, Nagoya, Fukuoka, and Tokyo during the week.
On April 11, 2011, the music video for "Your Luv" was released on MTV Japan, and "Your Luv" ringtones were released on the ringtone downloading site, Recochoku. After the release of Your Luv on April 19, it was ranked first for four consecutive days on Recochoku. MBLAQ were also placed first on the Cellphone Message Music Video chart. Furthermore, pre-orders for MBLAQ's single, for both the regular and limited A and B editions, had ranked first, second and third.
On May 3, MBLAQ kicked off their Japanese promotions with their debut event held at Kanagawa Lazona Kawasaki Plaza, gathering a reported 10,000 fans. They performed "Oh Yeah", "Your Luv" and Daijoubu and more than 4,000 CDs were sold during the event.Your Luv reached second position on the Oricon Daily Charts for May 3, which was before their official Japanese debut and release date. On May 4, their official debut date, Your Luv reached first position on the Oricon Daily Charts, selling more than 11,000 CDs. A week after their debut, MBLAQ reached second position on the Oricon Weekly Charts, selling more than 40,000 copies of Your Luv.[36] In June it was announced that MBLAQ's "Your Luv" would be used in the Japanese anime adaption of Marvel Comics' "Blade".
In July 2011, MBLAQ revealed that they would release a mini-album titled Mona Lisa. The album was released online on July 12, 2011. The album hit stores three days later on July 15.The online pre-orders opened on 8 July 2011, and the full music video was released on July 12 at midnight through various Korean music sites and J.Tune Camp's official Youtube channel. The concept of the album is 'celebrated works' with the members personally choosing famous figures in history to parody. Mir chose The Beatles, Thunder chose Boy George, Lee Joon chose Zorro, G.O chose James Dean, and Seungho chose Papillon. The album consists of six new tracks.
On July 14, MBLAQ returned to the stage on Mnet's M! Countdown, followed by comeback performances on the 15th, 16th and 17th at KBS's Music Bank, MBC's Music Core, and SBS's Inkigayo respectively.On July 15, when Mona Lisa was released in stores, it reached number one on the Hanteo Real-time, Daily and Weekly Charts.
On July 15, J.Tune Camp revealed that since July 8, Mona Lisa had 30,000 pre-orders, with international fans, in particular Japanese fans, requesting more copies. J.Tune Camp stated they would be producing 50,000 more copies to meet the demand.
In September, MBLAQ reached the number one position on German music website Viva with their "Mona Lisa" music video by garnering 111,000 views in a short period of time. MBLAQ's "Mona Lisa" had topped Bulgaria's Popcore TV chart for sixty eight consecutive days thus far. In the same month it was revealed that MBLAQ's new Japanese single, "Baby U", would be used as the opening theme for the Japanese anime Beelzebub.
The title track, "Baby U", of their new single album was released on October 26, 2011. Baby U! reached number two on the Oricon Daily Chart on its release date, selling more than 22,000 copies. As part of their promotions, MBLAQ travelled to Nagoya, Japan on October 28, Osaka on the 29th, and Tokyo on the 30th to celebrate the release of their new single. On October 30, 1,500 fans were chosen by a lottery among the 12,500 people who gathered at the venue to join the LIVE performance and Great Bingo Tournament. On the final day, 23,000 fans gathered for a special 'High five' event, as well as performances.Baby U! reached number two on the Oricon Weekly Chart, selling a total of 45,624 copies in the first week. The song also reached number one on Japan's Billboard Hot Animation Chart.
In May 2011, Thunder revealed that former member Sang Bae left the group due to his poor health. Thunder also stated that he only joined MBLAQ fifteen days prior to their debut, and that while he sang and rapped live for their performances, his voice is not actually featured on any of the recorded tracks for Just BLAQ due to time constraints

On January 1, 2012 a video teaser for MBLAQ's fourth extended play album was released, including their secondary single, “낙서 (Scribble)”. Strangely however the captions on screen were not of the song's lyrics. In the teaser video, Lee Joon is wrestling with Thunder for a woman, and ultimately points his gun to kill. The video was perceived to be very different from previous MBLAQ videos, as this was the first time the group had produced a full-story music video that incorporated acting and action sequences. The captions were later revealed, in the second music video teaser, to be for their lead single "전쟁이야 (This is War)"

Members

Seungho (leader)

G.O (Main Vocalist)

Lee Joon (Main Dancer and Vocalist)

Cheondoong (Main Rapper)

Mir (Rapper,Maknae)

Some of their songs:

Oh yeah!
[video][/video]

Mona Lisa

Stay

It's war