Shounen - Kekkaishi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Kekkaishi

CupofDice

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Title: Kekkaishi
Genres: Shounen, Action, Supernatural
Author: Yellow Tanabe
Artist: Yellow Tanabe
Publication: Shōnen Sunday
Start Date: February 18, 2004
End Date: On-going
Number of chapters at review: 157 scanned
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 157

General Overview: Two Kekkaishi protect Karasomori, the land where a powerful lord died hundreds of years ago, from the Ayakashi (demons) who arrive every night to receive power from the land.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 8

I really like the art. The main character's designs is unique, and the art as a whole has just the right amount of detail. Fights are definitely a high point because we get really good views of the techniques used, as opposed to something like Air Gear where attention is lavished on certain moves.

Plot: 7

The plot centers around Karasumori, the land the school is built on, and where a lord who had a special power died 500 years ago. His death immersed the land with a power that is so attractive to the demons because the more time they spend there, the more they evolve and the faster they heal. Throughout the series the plot focuses on various demons attempting to gain power from Karasumori, and we also get the history of the characters and the land. The plot does become deeper as some of the smarter demons form an organization to take over Karasumori, and we find that the Kekkaishi have 'allies' with their own powers and organization. The plot seems to be getting deeper, and some of the complaints that I earlier had are probably gone with Yoshimori taking on a greater role outside of Karusomori. Still this may only be temporary.

Characters: 7

I still agree with my earlier view that the characters are well made. Yoshimori is unique in his amazing level of laziness, and a lot of the humor in the story comes from that. Tokine is your typical smart female sidekick, but I have no problem with that. I wish that we got a better look at the characters of the Urakai though, and even though I like the fact that Yellow can kill of a character, he/she might want to let us get to know the character better before they die.

Theme: 3

I was probably wrong when I said Kekkaishi had no theme. It does and it focuses on Yoshimori's wish to protect Tokine from further harm. Of course I also think this is pretty weird considering the fact that Tokine seems more capable of protecting herself than Yoshimori. Do we really need another manga where the guy has this desire to protect the girl who doesn't need protecting. It would be a lot cooler if Yoshimori wasn't so shortsighted. He also wants to protect the town, but that isn't really an important part of the story, and we really don't get to meet the citizens to care enough about protecting them.

Originality: 7

Kekkaishi definitely has a different flow than other shounen fighting mangas, yet it also sticks to tradition in certain areas. As I said in my earlier review, the skills used by the Kekkaishi are simple and well thought out. It definitely makes for good fights where you have to use your brain.

Overall: 7

Kekkaishi is definitely a manga worth reading, and provides a relief from the other major shonen titles with it's relaxed plot. I still can't say whether or not the plot will get deeper, which I hope it does, or else things will get pretty boring. Still, I recommend this manga to fans of the other major shonen fighting mangas.

Pictures

Old Review
General Overview: Two Kekkaishi (the guy Yoshimori and the girl Tokine), both heirs of the Hazama clan, protect the powerful land which their school was built on from the demons who come every night to gain power. They utilize very simple, but powerful barrier techniques to accomplish their jobs.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 8

The art by Yellow is simple, detailed, and clean. The design of the characters, and the world they live in stays pretty consistent throughout the series.

Plot: 7

The plot centers around Karasumori, the land the school is built on, and where a lord who had a special power died 500 years ago. His death immersed the land with a power that is so attractive to the demons because the more time they spend there, the more they evolve and the faster they heal. Throughout the series the plot focuses on various demons attempting to gain power from Karasumori, and we also get the history of the characters and the land. The plot does become deeper as some of the smarter demons form an organization to take over Karasumori, and we find that the Kekkaishi have 'allies' with their own powers and organization. Even though the story seems to be getting deeper, there is a laid back feeling throughout the series. The fact that the story is centered around Karasumori seems to prevent Yellow from expanding the story. That organization of 'allies' previously mentioned would be a cool part of the story, but for the most part they are off doing other stuff away from Karasumori.

Characters: 7

The characters are well made, but they are breaking no conventions of manga. I like how they relate to each other, and it is good to know that they aren't immortal. The main problem with this manga lies with the characters though. They seem too content. Yoshi has no major goal like a Naruto or Luffy. He just waits around for demons to attack, and then goes home to bake cake. I am not saying that the characters are bad or that the fights are boring, but if this story wants to reach greatness Yoshimori will need some sort of motivation. The Kekkaishi are also missing 'something'. I thought about it and came to the conclusion that it was individuality in their skills. All of the Kekkaishi use the exact same skills. This is unlike Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, HxH, Hitman Reborn, and pretty much every other manga I have read. This may be a good thing though since it makes Kekkaishi unique.

Themes: 3

There really is no theme that runs throughout the series. Lately Yoshimori has had a desire to do something (not really a theme, but a goal), but he is nowhere near accomplishing it. As I said above, they are too content.

Originality: 7

It's originality comes from it's simplicity and relaxed feel. I really do like the techniques the characters use. Simple, yet powerful when used correctly. No unrealistic power jumps (well, for the protagonists).

Overall: 8

Regardless of my criticisms, I am really enjoying Kekkaishi right now (a helluva lot more than Bleach and One Piece). I like the characters and the developing plot. The kekkai (magical barrier) they use is wonderful in it's simplicity. I came across this manga Jan 5 in a desperate search for more shounen manga (had just finished devouring Hitman Reborn). It is now a favorite. That said, I understand why it isn't as popular as the big 4 (Naruto, HxH, One Piece, Bleach). Where those 4 mangas try to do something great (and sometimes fail at doing so), Yellow seems content with playing it safe. Even the name Kekkaishi is unassuming (to my American ears anyway). If Kekkaishi wants to reach greatness, the story needs to move past protecting Karasumori or else it will get repetitive. That said, it is a very good manga, one you should definitely read if you are into the 4 previously mentioned.

Last edited:

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Just a little note the girl's name is Tokine, Madarao is the ghost dog who helps Yoshimori.

Obxist

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
great review... though for me art point should be 7.5 because its simple and the emotion is not very well described ( i am talking about complexity XD).. but the monster in Kekkaishi is pretty good :D... i like it... and its unique :D

hmm but that a bit harsh on theme point :D

Okay Overall this manga deserve 7.5 point from me
you should read this manga ...

thanks for the great review :D

Last edited:

CupofDice

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Luckas.

@Obxist- I really like it simple. You can focus more on the characters and their actions. With Oh! Great the background tends to overwhelm the characters a lot.

Obxist

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
oh yeah i forgot to review the monster.... edit my simple review up there :D

Windmillblade

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can we talk about the anime here? cause if we can we need a petition to get the translated episodes atleast once a week. An episode gets translated like once a month. A kekkaishi fan like me is needs to advance. I too think this should be atleast top five or top ten. I dont know of monters but if he does....Wooowhooooo. uggh excuse me. But anyway Yoroshiku group is way too slow.

Obxist

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Can we talk about the anime here? cause if we can we need a petition to get the translated episodes atleast once a week. An episode gets translated like once a month. A kekkaishi fan like me is needs to advance. I too think this should be atleast top five or top ten. I dont know of monters but if he does....Wooowhooooo. uggh excuse me. But anyway Yoroshiku group is way too slow.
No you should not discuss it here... you should discuss it on http://mangahelpers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45#mainforum

though i havent see any kekkaishi topic..

Mooncrow

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, this is a good opportunity to make one then :D

ddadain

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Meh -_-

I totally disagree with everything said.

secretAZNman19

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
i think the main char does have a goal. he wants to seal up Karasumori, i think that's wat it's called. he's trying to find ways to do so or get stronger so he can. also, luffy's goal is trying to become the world greatest pirate, but the story is usually watever falls into his lap, like yoshi.

ps i love one piece.

CupofDice

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
@ddadain- :)

@secretAZNman19

Yeah, but that is hardly some heroic save the world goal we see in other protagonists, which is why I think Kekkaishi falls short of the greatness it could be. Not to mention that it could get pretty repetitive, though I think Yellow has avoided that for now with the relaxed pacing, and by focusing on other things in the life of Yoshi (besides protecting Karasumori).

Last edited:

Digitalr

Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
@ddadain- :)

@secretAZNman19

Yeah, but that is hardly some heroic save the world goal we see in other protagonists, which is why I think Kekkaishi falls short of the greatness it could be. Not to mention that it could get pretty repetitive, though I think Yellow has avoided that for now with the relaxed pacing, and by focusing on other things in the life of Yoshi (besides protecting Karasumori).
That is exactly the reason why it is better than the "save the world goal". Your Themes - 3 is obviously biased. I sort of get the feeling you read too much shounen (I can tell from your explanations you write under the scores).

ddadain

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
I agree.

Biased opinion...

Please only make a "judgement call" when you've read up to the most recent chapter: 199.

I'm only stopping myself from going into a rant here -_-

CupofDice

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
That is exactly the reason why it is better than the "save the world goal". Your Themes - 3 is obviously biased. I sort of get the feeling you read too much shounen (I can tell from your explanations you write under the scores).
First, I did not say Kekkaishi needed a 'save the world' goal. Just that other shounen mangas have them, and that was a sign that the mangaka was trying something great (even if it has been done a thousand time before). Yellow seems to play it safe and I will stick to that saying that. There is a lack of boldness in the story that exists in other shounen mangas. What does it need? That is Yellow's job to find out, not mines. Maybe it is what makes Kekkaishi different and special than the other shounen titles, but I can't help but think that it will become repetitive.

Second, everyone has a bias. Your response to my review WAS bias. Every review in this section is bias because we all have our favorite mangas, and we will inevitably compare the one we are reviewing to them, which is often unfair to the one being reviewed. The question is biased in what way? You can't say I lied about Kekkaishi having no major theme up to the point where I have read it as of chapter 134. No story of bonds like Naruto, the importance of nakama like One Piece. That criticism does not mean that the theme running through Naruto or other shounen mangas is a good one (how Naruto cares for Sasuke and wants to 'save' him gets on my last nerve). Instead of criticizing me for saying that Kekkaishi has no major theme, how about you tell me what that theme is, and maybe I will give it some thought and change my score if you are correct.

Third, I do indeed read a lot of fighting shounen type manga. How is that a negative when reviewing a shounen manga?

I agree.
Biased opinion...
Once again biased in what way. Naruto? I think that Kekkaishi is better than Naruto (because of the focus on Sasuke), Bleach (because of the loss of comedy), and One Piece (long arcs hurt when the arc sucks) right now. That would probably make it my favorite manga as I am writing this. You CAN criticize something you like

Please only make a "judgement call" when you've read up to the most recent chapter: 199.
That is quite unreasonable. I cannot read Japanese, therefor I can only guess what is happening in the raws that I have. Your argument is the same as saying you can't review the first book in a series because the others ones aren't out yet. It makes no sense. And if Kekkaishi does get a major theme or whatever going around chapter 199, then I will think that is a bit unreasonable too to expect fans to stay around that long for the story to start kicking off (just like hitman reborn) though I plan on sticking with Kekkaishi.

PS- I hope I didn't sound offensive, since I have no quams about a good healthy manga debate. Cheers.

Last edited:

Mooncrow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Take the series discussion elsewhere, or write an opposing review. Reviews are always biased; part of the price we pay for being human is that we can't be totally objective. Just because someone disagrees with you does not make them wrong. For what it's worth, I am current with the Japanese releases and I still can see Cup's point.

Constructive and specific criticism is welcome; tearing on someone because they disagree with you isn't.

secretAZNman19

Reaction score
Country
United States
well i was just stating my opinion, didnt mean to offend or anything. i do agree with the fact that kekkaishi could be better. But i find the problem does not lie in the plot, but in the pacing. It goes from "the daily life of yoshi the ghost buster" to "holy crap we're being invaded " in no time flat. Then it jumps backs. hopefully you can make sense of what i just said.

skeith20

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Canada
You want a theme? Here is one, the point of a barrier (kekkai) is to protect. Yoshimori's motivation behind everything he does is to protect his world. Throughout the story Yoshi's capacity to protect is tested against his opponents. That my friend, is kekkaishi's theme. I can't really go into details without spoiler so let's leave it at that.

Kyuzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
You want a theme? Here is one, the point of a barrier (kekkai) is to protect. Yoshimori's motivation behind everything he does is to protect his world. Throughout the story Yoshi's capacity to protect is tested against his opponents. That my friend, is kekkaishi's theme. I can't really go into details without spoiler so let's leave it at that.
That's not a theme, yo. That's a plot device.

ako

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
kekkaishi is one of the best shonen mangas I've read so far, this is no 'save the world' story, actually, he just wants to seal karasumori up to keep his freinds from getting hurt. especially toki-nee. he doesn't care about the world.

frankly, I have to agree with the others, I think the review is quite biased.
I find the story interesting, the plot twists and all, plus the character's personalities esp. yoshi's relationship with his big bro are quite interesting too.

try reading the manga :D then perhaps you'll know what we mean :)

CupofDice

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
My question is biased toward what? As in how can I be biased against a manga I like? Bias towards Naruto? HxH? One Piece? I also have criticisms of those mangas too. Naruto has lost focus on Naruto. In HxH every nen user is practically a psychologist/detective in their fights-unrealistic. One Piece arcs are too long (when a arc is good it's okay, not okay when a arc is bad). I guess I will probably rewrite this Kekkaishi review. Maybe that will stop the complaints.

Edit- I did the review over again.

Last edited: