Kimetsu no Yaiba Chapter 186 Spoiler/Discussion Thread

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,674
Reaction score
61,376
Gender
Male
Country
France
And... based on the chapter it sounds like the hashira at the time were actually capable of taking on demons. I am of the idea that the hashira at the time were probably people like kanroji or himeyima... People with unique physiques that were nearly superhuman even without breaths. I doubt that before yorichi the demon slayers even had a chance against a lower moon. Though perhaps the reason the demon moons were formed was because yorichi seriously strengthened the demon hunters. It's kinda weird that demon moons don't seem to precede yorichi in spite of muzan having being around for 600 years before that.
I doubt they were all like Mitsuri, but they must all have been geniuses. Ubuyashiki said early in the series that he believed that the current group of Pillars was the best since the first group.
 

Kawap1

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 7, 2019
Messages
49
Reaction score
29
Age
34
Country
Canada
I doubt they were all like Mitsuri, but they must all have been geniuses. Ubuyashiki said early in the series that he believed that the current group of Pillars was the best since the first group.
Ubu wasn’t around back then so his words don’t have much weight. Sanemi and Gyomei’s are one of the strongest slayers ever since UPM1 said so. Sanemi looked much stronger than mist when he fought UPM1. I don’t know if the other pillars are closer to Mist or Sanemi. I would say Rengoku and Giyuu are stronger than mist, mainly due to age and experience.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,674
Reaction score
61,376
Gender
Male
Country
France
Ubu wasn’t around back then so his words don’t have much weight. Sanemi and Gyomei’s are one of the strongest slayers ever since UPM1 said so. Sanemi looked much stronger than mist when he fought UPM1. I don’t know if the other pillars are closer to Mist or Sanemi. I would say Rengoku and Giyuu are stronger than mist, mainly due to age and experience.
He was the leader of the Demon Hunters, he even knew Tamayo and stuff. How do his words lack weight? Ubuyashiki said overall, his Pillar team was the best since the first. Himejima and Sanemi being some of the strongest doesn't contradict what he said at all.

Kokushibou himself was clearly the N.2 back then and I doubt anyone besides Yoriichi gave him much trouble. Individually, Himejima and Sanemi are weaker than Kokushibou.
 

XXGenesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2011
Messages
3,135
Reaction score
1,885
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Turkmenistan
When I read the official version. It says they were able to now kill strong demons. I would assume that would mean Lower & Upper Moons most likely...

I dont doubt the Pillars of old were capable of killing demons but w/o breathes. Defeating demons with blood arts is kinda impossoble..no
 

Sato-san

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2019
Messages
74
Reaction score
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's definitely not how kokushibo perceived things though. We saw his point of view. certainly yorichi provides more context but it did not appear like kokushibo suffered from his dad, at least not that he remembered. He had embraced his role as first son and after seeing his brother's capacity he was driven by jealousy. kokushibo definitely to be like yorichi but it wasn't because he was mistreated.
I still can't align. Michikatsu is not worthless in the sword, he's very talented arguably more than any swordman we've seen beside yoriichi. An arranged marriage is not terrible especially in the time period and this story (enter uzui and ubuyashiki households) say he didn't love his wife which I doubt he loved his children yet he left them of his accord. And you're being contradictory, yoriichi brought misfortune on michikatsu either way by staying or leaving, that's not true, him leaving was true sacrifice michikatsu can not even think of, why didn't michikatsu leave everything and go live homeless while his brother inherent the estate, well that's crazy, who would do that especially as a kid, yoriichi and most older siblings in series minus michi, he's so stuck in his inferiority complex to take notice of yoriichi struggles. The worst part is that they are brothers, it's a reason for pride for your younger sibling to be doing better, one hope and advise them to avoid their mestakes. Still, I don't take issue with michikatsu attitude as a child (say it's setting-programming) as much as an adult but the thing is the seeds started in his childhood.

Yoriichi appreciated the little things like a hand made flute and the sacrifice of sneaking over, michikatsu took offence to his younger brother sacrificing the estate for his sake. His dream as a child was to be best samurai, yoriichi dream was to be second best. Yoriichi gave up because he didn't like hurting people, michikatsu gave up (his dream, family, humanity) because he wanted to best yoriichi. Waaay into adulthood, after reading his mother diary, probably knowing his brother past, eye witness demons and their damage he still did not pull it together, ye I can't blame intense family upbringing for that. I understand his circumstances and that's what your paragraphs beautifuly put BUT NOT his conclusions.

Summary: michikatsu has high spec but he didn't see it, and I don't say yoriichi life sucked but as his brother he should have wished him the best even if he was a clutz with goodwill, no excuses


Dude when I think how yoriichi must have felt when michikatsu was turned to a demon,,, how didn't he just go fry muzan.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Someone on Twitter pointed out, the cloth that had the flute is the same of uta's kimono

Two important things in one ;-;

Damn. I’m sorry but I gotta write a wall again in order to properly respond to the two of you. So, as the two of you read this you will see how I’m responding to you.

He doesn’t remember everything. He stated himself that the only thing he remembers is Yoriichi’s face. His only fixation in life, and the only thing he wanted to forget. That’s kinda how it’s been with all the Oni’s in the story. They have no real recollection of their past. It isn’t until the moments of their deaths that a summarized version of their memories rushes back to them, and it’s usually in a way where they realize the flaw in their character. Hell, his memories come back with an introduction of saying “Those that don’t feel jealousy simply have good luck.” And just because he doesn’t remember who he was originally doesn’t mean that’s not how it most likely was. His pity and love for Yoriichi turned to hate because Yoriichi could be everything he wanted to be with ease. Everything that was thrusted upon his shoulders, and the only thing he really had a choice of being. It was either be a Samurai, or be a Monk. After seeing the stark difference between the two, of course he wasn’t going to pick to be a Monk. And he didn’t have the skill to defeat his father in battle at the time in order to be able to have his brother be raised with him. Hell, most likely, neither did Yoriichi. And if he probably did, that’s why Yoriichi was basically what he ended up trying to aspire to be. In his final moments he realized that. And it was because of his flaw in his character which was envy that kept him from seeing that. It should have been admiration, but he wasn’t raised to look at Yoriichi as an equal because there wasn’t any room for 2 son’s, although he obviously had the capacity to do so. Yes, he embraced his role as first son, but what choice did he really have? He was a child. And it was a fact that the father absolutely refused to keep 2 son’s. Either one was gonna die, or go off to be a monk. While that itself isn’t direct mistreatment, it definitely is when there was as much of a stark difference in their upbringing as there was. Kids can still do simple math and he probably realized how bad Yoriichi’s situation was and tried to make it better, but he was a kid. He could only do so much. The fact that he used to worry about Yoriichi and used to try to pamper him is proof that there was love there. To top everything off, he even stated that it wasn’t until he read his mother’s diary, that the seeds of jealousy were planted in his mind. Which means that when Yoriichi got those hits in on his teacher, he was astonished and actually admired his skills and wanted it to be his own and asked him constantly how he did it. Hell, even in that moment when he realized Yoriichi was way better than him with the explanation that he gave being far too complicated for him to understand, he wasn’t even jealous of him yet. But even he saw that someone with that type of genius was going to be kept while his world would have just been completely shifted, and him sent off to be a monk. At just the age of 7. So he trained hard to be better. Then suddenly the Mom dies, Yoriichi leaves, he reads her diary, so I’m assuming that means that his father read it before him and that’s probably how he and everyone else finds out that Yoriichi can see through things, so the father sends envoys to look for him. So Yoriichi’s sacrifice in leaving even helped to cement his assumptions because his father sent people out looking for him. Which meant he was guaranteed to be sent off to be a priest if they found Yoriichi. Meanwhile, Yoriichi ended up attaining the freedom of being able to find true love as I stated. And that happened in only what? 2 days? If that’s not pure luck, I don’t know what is. I think that’s why he was able to so easily abandon everything. He saw the skill and the freedom he wanted, in Yoriichi because he probably never really loved his wife, much like his Father probably didn’t really love his Mother due to arranged marriages being so prevalent at the time this story is taking place. And the father was obviously the warrior type, while the mother was devoutly religious.(I’m assuming his father didn’t really love his mother since the two seem vastly different.) We also know that he loved his mother dearly since the news of her death was catastrophic to him, and it was Yoriichi’s capability to help their Mother that broke him mentally, and that’s possibly in Stark contrast to the father. So that explains why he abandoned almost everything related to his father, what with leaving his family behind and started donning Hanafuda Earrings like Yoriichi, and having a fixation on learning The Breath of The Sun and being upset that he could only learn a derivative.

I’m just saying that he had those flaws because of the Father, and him placing his two son’s in such a predicament is, in a way a form of mistreatment. And I agree that Michikatsu is high spec with only Muzan and Yoriichi being above him, and Himejima being in the same level.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I am not entirely sure about that. Did we receive official confirmation that the dance of the fire god is the sun breath ? To me, it seems the dance of the fire god is the closest thing to the sun breath, but not quite that either
In Shinjurou’s letter he reveals to Tanjirou that there are 13 forms to the Dance of The Fire God/Breath of the Sun. Tanjirou notes that he only knows up to 12

The page is here

I doubt they were all like Mitsuri, but they must all have been geniuses. Ubuyashiki said early in the series that he believed that the current group of Pillars was the best since the first group.
I mean, all of the current Pillars are like Mitsuri to be honest, except for Shinobu. Sanemi, Himejima, and Muichirou are probably the only ones that killed demons before becoming a corps member so we know that it’s possible.
 

Laminariales

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2017
Messages
393
Reaction score
395
Gender
Female
Country
Akatsuki
His memories are distorted no doubt, he was pressured by the expiration date coming with the mark, probably my #1 sympathetic point in his favor, but the best defense I can master, he rushed into it. He is not like tamayo or even akaza he choose to be a demon, when he was a human, before 300 years pass and his memories rot some more. I'm not mad even for good vs evil he just screwed himself and everyone who loved him (including readers, that bruised cheek panel is too bittersweet)

For me his defining moment and the point which set things into motion wasn't the mom diary, but that talk in the garden where he compares trying to catch up with yoriichi to turtles. It's certainly sad but in the grand scheme of things is miniscule. That's michikatsu for me he's tragic but so so small

If you're analysing him that's splendid, but for my personal opinion he's pathetic. People will definitely diverge on this but if it's the "normal person" vs the "genious" trope I never sympathize with the "normal person" as long as they are stupid, meaning: stop competing with good sportsmanship. mind you I don't mind pittines but koku crossed a line, he committed a foul

I mean you referenced his speech about those who never felt envious simply didn't care nor met someone overwhelmingly better than them. Earlier he spouted a speech about preserving ones swordmanship as the ultimate goal himejima responded "don't act as if your twisted views are the set" I reuse these words back to his jealousy statement

The thing about his love for his wife or how nurturing his family was are merely assumptions, if anything the picture as he walk away from them is sorrowful

My proposal: Michikatsu is a prideful loner, his personality had few glitches independent of his upbringing, if anything this harsh upbringing showcased his better points, and died wondering why he was born. Yoriichi today asserted he was born to defeat muzan, he isn't self involved, he's supposed to be the strongest yet hold great regard for others, he described himself as failure to sumiyoshi yet remain optimistic because he's genuinely humble, my man
 
Last edited:
Top