...I told it's awesome! Where are you in the story?
What I like most in these books is how elaborate the battles are...the attention to detail somewhat overwhelming, but it's fun to reread for me, just in order to understand what I'm reading, not mentioning fitting it into a greater battle picture
And some of the characters...Whiskeyjack, Anomander Rake, Kruppe...Kruppe is za best!
The one problem I still have with these books is the way the dialogue is done. The characters are so roundabout in everything they think and say. When it's a character you like talking it's a blessing but when it's somebody you don't it's curse.
I guess, I'm used to more "direct" writing styles.
The one problem I still have with these books is the way the dialogue is done. The characters are so roundabout in everything they think and say. When it's a character you like talking it's a blessing but when it's somebody you don't it's curse.
I guess, I'm used to more "direct" writing styles.
True...I do like it though, since I need to pay attention and be up to date with every lore element that was revealed...and this is what I appreciate most in these epics...the lore and the world...
True...I do like it though, since I need to pay attention and be up to date with every lore element that was revealed...and this is what I appreciate most in these epics...the lore and the world...
I always like that about long book series. New history, new rules, new world, and all of it is just a backdrop of the story.
It's just a hell of contrast to go from the writing styles of Jim Butcher and Lois McMaster Bujold's (who were the last authors I was reading) to the style used by Stevens Erikson. A character thinks about something, talks about it, then thinks about it again; and then have another character's perspective on the same thing. That will take some getting used to.
As long as those perspective is Param or Lady Envy(I love whimsical yet dangerous female characters, as a rule) related though, I'm happy.
I do feel like this series still needs a Mat (like from Wheel of Time). I was hoping Toc the Younger would get roped into that but recent chapters seem to have him going a more depressing direction.
I always like that about long book series. New history, new rules, new world, and all of it is just a backdrop of the story.
It's just a hell of contrast to go from the writing styles of Jim Butcher and Lois McMaster Bujold's (who were the last authors I was reading) to the style used by Stevens Erikson. A character thinks about something, talks about it, then thinks about it again; and then have another character's perspective on the same thing. That will take some getting used to.
What I noticed is that nobody has full knowledge about anything...so when you say that a character thinks about something, then there's that, but when another comes and talks about the same thing, then always adds a little more...
As long as those perspective is Param or Lady Envy(I love whimsical yet dangerous female characters, as a rule) related though, I'm happy.
Oh Lady Envy...cutthroat bitch...I like her as well...all these ascendants or children of ascendants are interesting...they always have their own game, and they always manage to surprise me...
So far my favourite ascendant is definitely Cotillion...Anomander Rake is up there in second place, though...though Anomander Rake is far different...both he and Caladan Brood seem the most straightforward ascendants in the series...
I do feel like this series still needs a Mat (like from Wheel of Time). I was hoping Toc the Younger would get roped into that but recent chapters seem to have him going a more depressing direction.
Hmm...I guess Kruppe would fit the bill somewhat...meaning a more laid back attitude, that covers extreme generosity and skill too...although I guess Kruppe's attitude is more deliberate, while Mat just acts like he is...
I think maybe Fiddler (Bridgeburner sapper) is similar to Mat...however the best fit is probably Pearl (a Claw), but he doesn't appear in the 1st and 3rd books...
The problem is that all these characters who have some importance in the series are scarred in some way, while the Emond's field guys start out as naive and innocent and they manage to retain some of that...well except Rand, but he is two people in 1 body so he doesn't count that much...personally I like Perrin the most from those 3...
---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 PM ----------
And he is put in an interesting situation...he is the husband of the Daughter of 9 Moons...so he is supposed to be the connection between the Seanchan and Rand, and by extension the Aiel too...and thus peace should be achieved somehow, and not just after Rand kneeling before the Seanchan...but a more lasting peace...
And yet if you recall Aviendha's visions, then the peace won't last much...
Well, Aviendha is trying to figure out how to avoid that scenario so that situation won't happen.
Isn't the Seanchan version corrupted though by Ishamael? IIRC, Tuon aka Fortuna is supposed to bow before Rand. Many believe the part of Rand bowing before her is because he was congratulating her on her marriage with Mat since that' s a Two Rivers custom.
BTW, have you read the snippets/clues from the last book?
What I noticed is that nobody has full knowledge about anything...so when you say that a character thinks about something, then there's that, but when another comes and talks about the same thing, then always adds a little more...
Oh Lady Envy...cutthroat bitch...I like her as well...all these ascendants or children of ascendants are interesting...they always have their own game, and they always manage to surprise me...
So far my favourite ascendant is definitely Cotillion...Anomander Rake is up there in second place, though...though Anomander Rake is far different...both he and Caladan Brood seem the most straightforward ascendants in the series...
Hmm...I guess Kruppe would fit the bill somewhat...meaning a more laid back attitude, that covers extreme generosity and skill too...although I guess Kruppe's attitude is more deliberate, while Mat just acts like he is...
I think maybe Fiddler (Bridgeburner sapper) is similar to Mat...however the best fit is probably Pearl (a Claw), but he doesn't appear in the 1st and 3rd books...
The problem is that all these characters who have some importance in the series are scarred in some way, while the Emond's field guys start out as naive and innocent and they manage to retain some of that...well except Rand, but he is two people in 1 body so he doesn't count that much...personally I like Perrin the most from those 3...
What I mean when I say I would have liked a character like Mat is for a true full blown reluctant hero with a reluctant love interest to match.(by that I mean a girl he really wishes he could not be in love with)
Perrin would probably have been my favorite too until about mid way through the series. Perrin and Rand sort of accept their roles, where Mat wants absolutely nothing to do with his but just can't help himself. To me that's one of the best sources of both humor and heroism. The Daughter of the 9 Moons thing was soo great to and Lady Envy, or a powerful being like her, would be such an awesome candidate for a similar character.
I guess Param still has that potential in Malazan but it seems like he has a greater calling now. The Silverfox thing felt like it sorta fizzled to me. At the end of this book Param was the only character that really makes me tempted to read on.
The reason why I liked it more than Garden's of the Moon, is because we got a deeper glimpse to some characters' personalities...we have a chance to see a more humane side of Whiskeyjack, Rake, even Caladan Brood...the romance between Whiskeyjack and that Tiste Andii chick is really cool, I liked that a lot...and right when we get a bit closer to these characters, they die in battle or by treachery...and thus the last battle had a great impact on me, far greater then the Darujhistan battle...
Oh, I agree but it's takes some getting used to and slows the pacing down big time.
Not just the epicness...I feel like Whiskeyjack felt when he went to a drink with him...there's something deep and emotional to Rake's entire existence, he's not just a cold blooded warrior who dispenses justice as he sees fit...
What I mean when I say I would have liked a character like Mat is for a true full blown reluctant hero with a reluctant love interest to match.(by that I mean a girl he really wishes he could not be in love with)
Ah...the reluctant hero would be Whiskeyjack...and Paran too...I think especially Paran...although he comes around and accepts his roles and acts accordingly...
And there's Toc the Younger who became Mortal Sword of the Wolf God, and then the other Mortal Sword...the Mortal Sword of Treach (Tiger of Summer)....both are pretty reluctant in their new roles
As for reluctant love interest...I guess we won't get that in the Malazan series...I've never really seen anyone who would fit the lady killer male stereotype, the way Mat fits into it...
Perrin would probably have been my favorite too until about mid way through the series. Perrin and Rand sort of accept their roles, where Mat wants absolutely nothing to do with his but just can't help himself. To me that's one of the best sources of both humor and heroism. The Daughter of the 9 Moons thing was soo great to and Lady Envy, or a powerful being like her, would be such an awesome candidate for a similar character.
The reason I like Perrin more, is because his affiliation with wolves and the whole new world that opens up before Perrin and the readers because of that...
I guess Param still has that potential in Malazan but it seems like he has a greater calling now. The Silverfox thing felt like it sorta fizzled to me. At the end of this book Param was the only character that really makes me tempted to read on.
Yeah...I didn't like the Silverfox part either...it was a bit messy, although I think that was the purpose...
There are a few characters other than Paran who as pivotal and worth continuing the series...Coltaine, Karsa Orlong(both from the 2nd and 4th books), Kruppe and Quick Ben...and depending on whether you will continue the series or not, there's a pretty relevant spoiler, which could be a reason to read on(although I have mixed feelings about it, truth to be told)
Oh shut up, why wouldn't I. I'm young, living fast and life is beautiful.
And don't take it too serious, it was more of an exaggeration than anything else. For the sake of the shock effect after confessions of like "I hate my work".
Oh shut up, why wouldn't I. I'm young, living fast and life is beautiful.
And don't take it too serious, it was more of an exaggeration than anything else. For the sake of the shock effect after confessions of like "I hate my work".
Well, Aviendha is trying to figure out how to avoid that scenario so that situation won't happen.
Isn't the Seanchan version corrupted though by Ishamael? IIRC, Tuon aka Fortuna is supposed to bow before Rand. Many believe the part of Rand bowing before her is because he was congratulating her on her marriage with Mat since that' s a Two Rivers custom.