Shounen Kurogane by IKEZAWA Haruto

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,859
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
A friend of mine moved to Japan and became a teacher there. He learned Kendo so he could teach it to students and when he was back in the states I did a little with him. So I do have some small amount of experience with it (and I still have a pair of shinai's in my umbrella stand hilariously). It's pretty dry stuff, though extremely fun to do, and nothing like the actual armed sparring like I've done in combat martial artist training (Kali/Eskrima mainly).

My impression was that Kendo's similarity to true swordsmanship is about the same as boxing's similarity to hand to hand combat.

It's about excelling at a certain art within restrictive rules. Not about being deadly with a sword. Which is why I always felt Kurogane would have been better off making up it's own sport. Sort of like and extreme freestyle offshoot or something. Because the exaggerated elements detracted from the purest Kendo elements but Kendo elements by themselves lacked the drama to make the fights captivating. It was an unfortunate catch 22.

I thought maybe it could do what Bamboo Blade did and appeal through the slice of life side of things, or perhaps do more with the supernatural side, but I think the reality of the situation was that it was just a tough concept to work with.
 
Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I really enjoyed chapter 36. It's considerably better than the last like 20 chapters combined.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
It certainly added more dimension to characters, something that was lacking from almost every character in the series.
 

Viredae

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Saudi Arabia
Actually, Kurogane has about 44 chapters already released, plus it's not the last series in the rankings at the moment (that honor goes to Pajama no Kanojo). so I'm hoping it has a bit more longevity involved.

Though considering that Jump's Future Cup has started, there is a possibility that they cancel TWO series instead of one, so Kurogane's not out of the water yet.

oh, and just as a bit of news, I'm waiting for chapter 38 to drop onto this site any day now.
 

Reith

Intl Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
44
Reaction score
117
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Congratulations for the First Year of Serialization of Kurogane!

Here's the Color Page from Shonen Jump #46, celebrating the anniversary.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
There was a 2ch poster that claims to work for Shueisha and listed some future things as proof that s/he was real. One of the posted things was this:

The info was provided by Negative Syndicate.

Series that going to end:
Kurogane (the final chapter going to release in Next!), Takamagahara
So, if the poster was real, Kurogane's on the way out.
 
Last edited:

0Xellos

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
1,649
Reaction score
418
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Slovakia
There was a 2ch poster that claims to work for Shueisha and listed some future things as proof that s/he was real. One of the posted things was this:

The info was provided by Negative Syndicate.

So, if the poster was real, Kurogane's on the way out.
I'd find it believable, Kurogane's doing quite bad in the rankings... I heard the kendo presented in it deviates far from reality, so it's not particularly liked in Japan.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'd find it believable, Kurogane's doing quite bad in the rankings... I heard the kendo presented in it deviates far from reality, so it's not particularly liked in Japan.
Xellos, but that was back in October. Since then, even though Kurogane's had relatively poor rankings and insignificant volume sales, it's survived. I had actually given up on Kurogane because I figured it might be cancelled and people had stopped scanning it, but recently people have begun to scan it again, so perhaps I'll pick it back up.
 

cearon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
384
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
Xellos, but that was back in October. Since then, even though Kurogane's had relatively poor rankings and insignificant volume sales, it's survived. I had actually given up on Kurogane because I figured it might be cancelled and people had stopped scanning it, but recently people have begun to scan it again, so perhaps I'll pick it back up.
it has been cancelled apperently.

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/78903-Weekly-Shonen-Jump-2012-2013-Discussion-and-TOC-Talk-Part-4?p=3263280#post3263280
 
Top