Round of 16 - Laxus Dreyar vs Gajeel Redfox | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Round of 16 Laxus Dreyar vs Gajeel Redfox

Which Fighter Advances?

• Laxus Dreyar

Votes: 52 89.7%
  • Gajeel Redfox

Votes: 6 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Voting Rules:

• This Battle is a 1 vs 1.
  • During Bo16, you'll be able to vote up to 24 hours after discussion ends.
  • You may vote for one character in this fight.
  • So you voted early and someone/something changed your mind? You can use the 'Change Vote' option to choose again.

Laxus DreyarGajeel Redfox

Discussion will end on: June 4th, 2016
Voting will end on: June 5th, 2016

Last edited:

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well this is a tough one. Between the two Dragon Slayers I was leaning towards Gajeel until 487 came out and we saw Gajeel using Dragon Force. With ISD mode and now Dragon Force in his corner, he should be able to beat Laxus high diff.

GokuSSJG

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Laxus.Gajeel with DF would probably be on Laxus' level.

Last edited:

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Isn't this bad match-up? Gajeel's iron will receive every lightning move Laxus casts, just like in Battle of Fairy Tail arc. It seems iron in FT universe is weak against lightning. I choose Laxus.

Stormsfury

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Laxus.
It pains me to see 2 of my 3 favourites duking it out, but Laxus defeated a Spriggan at a disadvantage and when he was dying from an illness, that's a feat I doubt anyone is replicating.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
DF/Black Iron Gajeel might be able to match Laxus in CQC. Because they are who they are this will be a CQC fight. It'll be like Wahl v Laxus before the sickness.

Bradman isn't a physical powerhouse, his body is made of anti-magic particles and uses curses for attacks. So overpowering him in CQC will be easier than overpowering Laxus in CQC.

I'm saying Laxus wins. Difficulty is totally dependent on how long Gajeel can sustain Black Iron/FD for.

Last edited:

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I wouldn't say Black Iron Gajeel could do a lot against Laxus, since this power-up was more a way to counter curse power (as it seems). At the very moment I wouldn't rate it higher than his Iron Shadow Dragon Mode.

The only problem in this battle would be Iron Shadow Dragon Mode, since this gives Gajeel a very high defense. But Gajeel can't hide himself forever. Laxus will blitz him with his lightning body once Gajeel exposes himself to try to attack him.

Anyway, Laxus could break through his iron defense with Red Lightning just like he did against Wahl's body. I'd say Laxus takes this with mid diff at most.

Last edited:

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
It's actually a tough fight considering Gajeel's DF/BI Mode CQC as well as his IS mode. The first should allow him hold his own against Laxus while the second will aid in evasion. Still, I'd say Laxus is superior in both fields. First, Gajeel bested Bradman whose major advantage was his intangibility due to MBP. This doesn't diminish Gajeel's feat, but it something to keep in mind considering Laxus had to overpower and enemy who had an immunity to his lightning attacks. Laxus should have the speed and strength to overcome Gajeel regardless of the mode even though it'll be a prolonged battle. Another thing to note is that Gajeel is weak against lightning in the sense that he is a conductor and this will attract it. The only time escape for this is if Gajeel is in base and not using iron in any form but then he can't hold a candle to Laxus to base. It's a pretty bad matchup for him in all. Laxus wins this with mid diff. I say mid not because Gajeel can't give a high diff fight but because if he's using any iron form, then he'll always get hit by Laxus' attacks.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
Damn... I didn't want Gajeel to get such a hard match-up since i'm a huge fan of him (and would like him to get more spotlight / less redundant battle style such as vs Bradman, just my opinion).
But as much as i would like Gajeel to go far into the competition, i gotta give this one to Laxus. This guy is just a beast and should be able to have the upper hand.
Gajeel at his best powerspike (DF) would probably match Laxus. But Laxus has been shown weakened and exhausted in his previous battles: if he is in top form he would be way too powerful for Gajeel to handle, i think.

Thus i give this one to Laxus, mid diff.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Laxus Dreyar wins high-max diff.

Mirage

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Lol Laxus, obviously.

Kay3795

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Can we wait a bit - a week - before we decide this fight?.....No?...Ok..:(

Feats speak volumes & Laxus's got greater feats where it matters. (If Gajeel's DF is anything like Natsu's, the result would've changed though... too bad he hadn't activated it yet)

Damon blevins

Reaction score
Country
United States
My guy gajeel gets paired up with Laxus, but natsu gets an easy fight... smh

Laxus mid or low diff tbh

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Overall I would say laxus is dramatically more powerful than current gajeel. Gajeel is about to beat an springan but he is doing it by the consumption of MBP to strengthen himself.... Laxus did not need such a boost. I do think there are a few ways gajeel could potentially match up to laxus but those are not a thing quite yet:

1.- Dragon force. If gajeel could use dragon force then he definitely would be able to win. Dragon force works as a multiplier to your power and as far as we know it at least triples the base form power of the user. I doubt laxus is 3 times as powerful as gajeel, it's way too much of a difference at this point. Even if bradman is not quite as powerful as the other springan he is still one of them and his power should be in its own league.

2.- Iron lightning dragon slayer. Gajeel seems adept at devouring foreign powers to strengthen himself. He had his iron shadow and now he curse enhanced DS magic. I wouldn't put it past him to be able to eat laxus' lightning and use iron lightning dragon slayer magic. Arguably it would be a superior combination to iron shadow as well. Though his boost would obviously not compare to dragon force but perhaps it would be enough to fight on par with laxus.

Still, the manga has shown gajeel with a powerful base form (enough to take a springan on) but not quite on the same level as laxus. So my vote goes to laxus.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
For Laxus Dreyar vs Gajeel Redfox, the match will vary depending on which perspective you look at...
  • Laxus > Gajeel [High Difficulty]
In my opinion, Laxus will win this but with difficulty. If Gajeel does indeed have the ability to activate Dragon Force, this battle may go either way especially since Laxus has no power-up. This really just depends on how much you think DF can increase Gajeel's power since it was said to give dragon slayers the power similar to that of a dragon.
  • Attack: Laxus > Gajeel
  • Defense: Laxus ≤ Gajeel
  • Speed: Laxus ≥ Gajeel
  • Versatility: Laxus ≤ Gajeel
  • Intelligence: Laxus = Gajeel
  • MP: Laxus > Gajeel
Gajeel has a chance to overpower Laxus in Defense and Versatility, but Laxus will definitely outclass Gajeel in Attack and MP.

Speed is most likely a non-factor because lightning form and shadow form are not that much different in this aspect (lightning may be just a little bit faster though).

Either way, I will subject myself to change in this match depending on what happens in the next few chapters. Coincidentally, we're at a part in the manga where Gajeel has a critical role and a chance to prove that he has progressed or surpassed many characters since the Tartaros Arc.

Last edited:

Coné

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Laxus wins handily.

Tirl

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Like XXEliteXXAceXX I made my stat :hee
  • M.Attack: Laxus >> Gajeel
  • F.Attack: Laxus < Gajeel
  • Defense: Laxus < Gajeel
  • Stamina: Laxus = Gajeel
  • Speed: Laxus = Gajeel
  • Versatility: Laxus > Gajeel
  • Intelligence: Laxus > Gajeel
  • MP: Laxus >>> Gajeel
  • Laxus >> Gajeel
Laxus will win.
Difficult - 4\10

Last edited:

Tinitus

Banned
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Georgia
Laxus about mid-diff sounds about right. Laxus may able to low diff or oneshot gajeel with a secret tech/red lightning.

GokuSSJG

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
  • Attack: Laxus > Gajeel
  • Defense: Laxus >= Gajeel
  • Stamina: Laxus = Gajeel
  • Speed: Laxus >= Gajeel
  • Versatility: Laxus > Gajeel
  • Intelligence: Laxus > Gajeel