Discussion Mafia Game "Discussion" Thread v.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,101
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Hostkilling for inactivity is a pretty retarded practice and something that should only be done if there's really no other option. After all you're not only punishing the person you kill, but their entire team as well (it's not like it's their fault), and it influences and at times even decides the game. It's not like it's difficult to avoid either, just plan ahead a bit and don't have everyone who signs up start, keep two or three people back as subs and then hostsub instead of hostkill.

Someone said something about subbing not working because it's a different person or something iirc (only skimmed the last couple pages), but that's not really true. While there is some change, the interactions of the first player are still there, they don't just disappear when they sub out. It's not an optimal situation of course, but a hell of a lot better than deciding the game right there.

As for dead players subbing, it can work if they died early and didn't have interactions with anyone outside the game thread. Wouldn't recommended it over dedicated subs though.

Oh and @some other comment I vaguely remember, just because you didn't do it until now doesn't mean you have to continue not doing it, given that it improves the game as a whole.
Yeah, but who would sign in as a sub? I mean, if someone wants to play, that person plays, he/she isn't just a sub
 

TheMoa

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
3,380
Reaction score
2,195
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
I think that if it's a possibility to sub a player, that should be agreed upon before the start of the game.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,101
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
F@ck, jorped is here. Kat's team, you're doomed.
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

wizzard

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2011
Messages
1,455
Reaction score
1,203
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
is niichi still sleeping :SOON?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I understand Kaoz's points, but I still disagree. There are many games where no host killing is done, but when it is done it seems to be the same cast of characters. The one case I wouldn't have as much of an issue with it is what happened to Tata and I several games ago. It was still so early in the game, that neither of us really played the game. But because she was a Mafia Mason and accidentally revealed the mafia to me, I had to bow out and hostkilled. But when someone has already played an entire day, and has made a night-time choice, eh...I can't agree with it. The person has already left their imprint on the game. And I definitely don't think someone who already died should be allowed to take another role.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I can't say that I'm in favor of having a sub now. However, let's say that we had a number of players who are on the fence about playing. They could sign up to take over in the case of someone having to leave or being inactive. Under no circumstances should a player ever get a second chance, such as in the case of Hardy taking over for Kat, however.

Kaoz is correct that hostkilling can radically change a game, but until we come up with a better method, it's what we currently do.

If there was someone who wasn't involved in the game at all and didn't frequent the area and was unaware of the roles or anything, I wouldn't really have a problem adding them in right now. 3c would be fine, but as we've already addressed, he's a no go. I have no idea where blai is. Evil's busy, you get the picture.

Let's say that we were to get a replacement for Kat right now. This conversation has told us that Kat was a townie, otherwise Hardy couldn't take over for her as he'd be switching sides, and that ruins some of the surprise.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,101
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Let's say that we were to get a replacement for Kat right now. This conversation has told us that Kat was a townie, otherwise Hardy couldn't take over for her as he'd be switching sides, and that ruins some of the surprise.
I was the mentor, any new role for me is "switching sides".
 

wizzard

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2011
Messages
1,455
Reaction score
1,203
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
Never suspect the actions of Headon or he'll send Rachel after you.
Who?




(no spoilers please)





I just wanna go to sleep too xD
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
... On my phone because I don't have access to a pc atm

Hardy isn't a good choice, I agree. Someone like jorp is fine with me but I won't do it if someone is against it. Looks like it so Kat has to try her best to be active

I will post the results now without avas, please Deal with me
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,101
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
I like the idea of jorped subbing in though, I have no problems with that one.

I know, but you get what I was trying to say.
Yeah, I know ^^ .

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

I'm leaving for bed with my girlfriend now :blush
No wonder why jorped came out of nowhere and posted here.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Also, this whole situation made me think of a role:

Jesus. :derp

He thinks he's a townie and appears as a townie when he dies. If he gets lynched or killed at night he comes back 2 days after his death (he's not invulnerable to the Bomb nor the Daytime Vigilante). He'll get a pm from the host the night before his comeback, and the host will announce his reborn when that night ends.
 

Nast.J

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
401
Reaction score
183
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
Yeah let jorped in if Kat wants to really stop playing.
 

TheBoss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 21, 2012
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
1,281
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Actually if jorp wants to come in, he should come on my place.
I need to pay more attention to my college, and I feel frustrated for not being able to play well =\
 

Nast.J

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
401
Reaction score
183
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
Actually if jorp wants to come in, he should come on my place.
I need to pay more attention to my college, and I feel frustrated for not being able to play well =\
Not you too..
 

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
3,193
Reaction score
6,936
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fun Forum
Hostkilling for inactivity is a pretty retarded practice and something that should only be done if there's really no other option. After all you're not only punishing the person you kill, but their entire team as well (it's not like it's their fault), and it influences and at times even decides the game. It's not like it's difficult to avoid either, just plan ahead a bit and don't have everyone who signs up start, keep two or three people back as subs and then hostsub instead of hostkill.
I could not disagree more. If someone signs up for the mafia game knowing that it takes time and effort, then they should stick to that commitment. I mean, let's say you have a really bust day. Wow, that sucks. ALL you have to do to save your ass for that day is post three times and vote. Is it really that god damn difficult? And if you just absolutely can't bring yourself to do that, then you are too busy for the game and need to be hostkilled. Of course your team takes a hit for it, that's why you're banned. And of course your team is down an entire player, but it's not like you were helping anyway!

I don't have sympathy for it. I just don't. I've busted my ass during exam weeks to stay at least semi-active in the game.




And the subbing thing is just complicated and unnecessary. I would never sign up for a game if I knew that would be a mechanic of it, and I certainly wouldn't sign up to be a sub either. Don't be a half ass. You either play or you don't.


...Sorry, I tend to get really passionate about this sort of thing. Happened last time too. :arf I didn't drop the f-bomb this time though.
 

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jun 5, 2012
Messages
11,126
Reaction score
14,101
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
I agree with Kaoz on that one. Punish the afk as much as you want AFTER the game, but don't kill him, you're punishing also the team and changing the game. Find a sub or something before doing it and, only if there's no other option, host kill the bastard.

I find being inactive way more stupid than hostkilling though. I mean, you only have to do 3 damn posts, at least show some interest in the game you said you'll play, you're ruining other people's fun and work (cause it takes time to the host to make the game and the players to play as they actually want).

I said before that I was against perma bans, but some cases are just ridicule.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I agree with Kaoz on that one. Punish the afk as much as you want AFTER the game, but don't kill him, you're punishing also the team and changing the game. Find a sub or something before doing it and, only if there's no other option, host kill the bastard.
I disagree. I don't see how it's acceptable to allow someone to completely disappear from the game and not have an impact on it and it not matter. So much goes into what people do and say, so if you're not around to say anything, you shouldn't be able to participate at all. If the person has an important role, or is one of the few mafia, tough shit. That's why you're banned for potentially breaking the game.

That being said, there have been special cases where exceptions have been made. But that is up to the host's discretion.
 

digitaldude

MH's Funniest Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 5, 2009
Messages
4,776
Reaction score
11,666
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
You have been using that smiley a lot lately.

---------- Post added at 06:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:35 AM ----------

Also niichan, can you strike out the names of the dead and put what roles they had?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top