Manga, Anime, or Both?

Do you keep up with the anime, manga, or both?

  • Manga

    Votes: 25 64.1%
  • Anime

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

    Votes: 14 35.9%

  • Total voters
    39

amidaru312

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2012
Messages
69
Reaction score
6
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Prince of tennis had much better animation than OP
 

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
2,648
Reaction score
2,176
Gender
Female
Country
Water Tribe
Moderator Notice:
Thanks for everyone's contribution in your opinions and ideas. As much as I enjoy many other series - they are good in their own class, however please stay on-topic of One Piece rather than commenting on other manga and/or anime here.~ ProGoddess
 
Last edited:

alchem1485

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
247
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Manga. No, Anime is good, but to catch up all episode and watch new episode everyweek, simply I don't have time for that. And, personally, I do not like filler, so I prefer read manga only.
 

Deleted member 182576

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
I don't understand the "hate" against the anime. I mean they have 20 min time for 1 episode. and 1 episode = 1 chapter
They need to stretch this chapter out in 20 min, so that's why sometimes there are some "fillers" in it. But i like the fillers, they're always funny. & god I can't even tell what is filler and what is not because it all seems to be part of the story. i mean ok, a whole filler episode is boring, like they did it in the beginning of the anime, but now they don't use those filler episodes and I don't get how you can unlike this cool animation. Do you never laugh when you see the anime? NEVER?
- I do, a lot.
 

Tournesol

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2014
Messages
138
Reaction score
76
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
If I had it my way, I would take the anime and chop it down to the necessary parts. I would speedup parts and take out lots of clips that were just unnecessary such as the long pauses where you see everyones faces going "oooo" "aaaaaaa" or the uber long charge up times that obviously weren't there in the manga.
There is someone who does this. The project is called "One Pace", just google it.

For me though, even when condensed like this, the anime is just too bad to enjoy. .__."
The only good thing about it is the voice acting, which makes me care even for characters I don't like.
E.g. that scene between Kin'emon and Momonosuke, when they finally meet up on Punk Hazard. xD
I don't like either of them, but when I watched that scene in the anime, I was still moved, because they got the emotions across so well.
The animation, on the other hand... no. Just no. T__T
It's very noticeable that they are trying to save money on the painting and animation, but it just doesn't work out (for me, at least). One of the amazing things about the manga is how you can look at the characters and understand the way they feel (which I think is part of the reason that ambiguous characters whose feelings we aren't supposed to know yet, like Law or Corazon often have their faces hidden, their eyes in the shadow or something like that).
The anime just doesn't manage to catch the atmosphere and expression of the manga because it isn't as well-painted. All of the filler parts that even seem out of character at times really don't help this.
Watching it now just makes me cry, thinking: "OMG, what have they made of that absolutely awesome story they have been given?! It just feels like a cheap cash-grab!"

Though, way back when I first got into One Piece, it was through the anime, which first aired on german tv back then. I think I watched it until Alabasta (?)... but as far as I can remember, it by far wasn't as bad as it is now? Might just be nostalgic memories, though.
Around Water 7 I started reading the manga and from about Thriller Bark on, I have only tried to watch the anime a few times, but as it is right now, I am extremely disappointed. The Dressrosa arc in the manga is incredible, surely you could make a good anime adaption out of it! But what they are making doesn't even come close to the quality of the original. :/
 

BetaRuler

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2009
Messages
382
Reaction score
89
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Kingdom
^ OMG that's SO much better! This I COULD watch! XD THANK you very much!
Yeah the lack of budget still shows really badly... But the pace is improved SO MUCH it's not so painful anymore.
 

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
2,648
Reaction score
2,176
Gender
Female
Country
Water Tribe
I guess whether one watches the anime or not, or just stay with the manga only may depend on what and how much expectation we put on them. Whenever I watch the anime, it always stimulates my emotions like having a good laugh (throughout the entire time) or crying buckets of tears which does not happen in the manga that often. But reading the manga allows me to move forward together with the story. The anime which follows after the manga also gives an opportunity of a recap of the story. I do sometimes forget or miss something from the manga and the anime helps to refresh the past storyline.

Hahaha! I'm just enjoying myself - getting the best of both worlds. :teehee
 

jamarTheDem

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2010
Messages
662
Reaction score
208
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Tbh the only TWO things wrong with the anime is the filters & 5 minutes of hell useless intro . That's taking away from animation time which is already shorter then most anime's . Now I understand , yes One Piece is a long running successful anime but come on Tobi Animation , it's crazy to have such a long intro , clearly they giving up trying to impress the fans with quality video time . Then after the long intro , then we get the recap of last episode .

I don't mind the anime , but I hate how their using the length . :verily
 
Top