Discussion - Meaning of D. | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Meaning of D.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Quite frankly, I am kinda against D standing for a specific word or something of the sort. The hype around it is so high that its nearly impossible to live up to it if there is something beyond it just being there. My crackpot theory though:

D its a silly random smile in the middle of people's names.
Welp, I did suggest that ages ago.

hokageji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Monkey Death luffy

Zmsp

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I'm just gonna throw this random one out there: D. stands for Dragon.

I was leaning towards dawn/dusk up until recently, but I've started to consider the likelyhood of the flower capital/wano being the former capital (or one of the former capitals) of the Ancient Kingdom, whose theme is both sun and flower. Dragons are the real symbol behind that country. The royals were the Ds. Luffy is the liberator, he rides the dragon, but this is a conflict between dragons, good and evil. All the Ds share the will of Dragons, and "Dragons are always sure to cause another storm". They're the real celestial dragons in this story. The Kozuki were the closest retainers to a certain part of that royalty. They're also the sword (sword & spear dichotomy).

Funnily enough, Luffy is also Monkey.
The Shandora bell had the figure of a monkey in it. Monkey's the equivalent of Dragon, to the inhabitants of the moon. Luffy's both monkey (comical, friendly), and dragon (causes storms). The inhabitants of the moon were the spear.

Luffy is both sword & spear (Nika), he hails from the lunar side, but inherited the sun's will, he's the one who fulfills promises, and he's also both Monkey & Dragon.

P.S - I'm aware Monkey Dragon Dragon is weird as fuck, but I've grown away from dawn&dusk, and it'll make for some weird ass moment.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Nah, I doubt the D stands for dragon. Dragons within one piece and the metaplot in general are antagonistic to the strawhats and other characters. Kaido, the celestial dragons, ryuma's dragon... Even thematically you have the hoof of the soaring dragon.. The only good dragon if you will is momonosuke imo.

Zmsp

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Nah, I doubt the D stands for dragon. Dragons within one piece and the metaplot in general are antagonistic to the strawhats and other characters. Kaido, the celestial dragons, ryuma's dragon... Even thematically you have the hoof of the soaring dragon.. The only good dragon if you will is momonosuke imo.
? Dragons are both literal, and figurative.

While I'm not saying there's tremendous amount of evidence, because there's no tremendous amount of evidence for anything related to the name, just conjecture, you can't invoke the metaplot and then read it superficially like that: the metaplot is about events of the past repeating themselves, and looking at them through different perspectives/two sides of the mirror.

Kaido is the antagonist dragon, but he's mirrored by Momo.
Celestial Dragons are the antagonists, and they're opposed by Monkey D. Dragon, who wants to end their rule.
Ryuuma is something we know nothing about, so I'm not gonna elaborate on it.

The hoof is supposed to be, like I'm trying to say, a fake demonstration of ownership, when they're not even the original "dragons", and the idea of branding people is fundamentally against the ideals of the original ones. Actually, I think that even if you don't take anything I said into account, if there's one thing that most people agree about, is that the World Government are not the original world rulers, or not exclusively. If everything about them is fake, there's a mirrored truth. That's the basis for the prediction.

Not agreeing or finding it unlikely is totally understandable, but I honestly can't follow your reasoning.

TitaniumOxide

Reaction score
Country
United States
That first pic of the halfmoon on the left kinda look like a flying saucer tipped on the side. The Ds are obviously aliens.

Blacktyde

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
That first pic of the halfmoon on the left kinda look like a flying saucer tipped on the side. The Ds are obviously aliens.
Also Poneglyphs kinda look like the oracle bone script and previous chinese scripts.

Hrathgrath

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also Poneglyphs kinda look like the oracle bone script and previous chinese scripts.

I can see that, loosely, but as interesting as that is, I don't think it's likely. Oda is pretty good about foreshadowing stuff like that, and the moon thing makes a little sense on that front, but the rest of the bonescript stuff? I'm dubious.

Australopithecus

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It is no use trying to guess D at this point. It can literally mean anything and in any language.

Zmsp

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I'm just gonna throw this random one out there: D. stands for Dragon.

I was leaning towards dawn/dusk up until recently, but I've started to consider the likelyhood of the flower capital/wano being the former capital (or one of the former capitals) of the Ancient Kingdom, whose theme is both sun and flower. Dragons are the real symbol behind that country. The royals were the Ds. Luffy is the liberator, he rides the dragon, but this is a conflict between dragons, good and evil. All the Ds share the will of Dragons, and "Dragons are always sure to cause another storm". They're the real celestial dragons in this story. The Kozuki were the closest retainers to a certain part of that royalty. They're also the sword (sword & spear dichotomy).

Funnily enough, Luffy is also Monkey.
The Shandora bell had the figure of a monkey in it. Monkey's the equivalent of Dragon, to the inhabitants of the moon. Luffy's both monkey (comical, friendly), and dragon (causes storms). The inhabitants of the moon were the spear.

Luffy is both sword & spear (Nika), he hails from the lunar side, but inherited the sun's will, he's the one who fulfills promises, and he's also both Monkey & Dragon.

P.S - I'm aware Monkey Dragon Dragon is weird as fuck, but I've grown away from dawn&dusk, and it'll make for some weird ass moment.
I'd like to revise this prediction, and explain why. I also believe the surname D. and "Will of D" will not mean the same. I still think that Dragons is a good candidate for "Will of D", for the reasons explained above.

The D. will be a surname that Oda came up with, but I think X Drake already told us about it metaphorically. He's called Diez, so my guess is that the name will be something similar to "Dias".

Bartolomeu Dias was a portuguese mariner and explorer that first went beyond the southern tip of Africa by ship, a landmark previously called "Cape of Storms", and later called "Cape of Good Hope". He connected Europe and Asia (The West and the East) by sea route during the great era of maritime discoveries. The Grand Line/New World and the Marine flag is an illustration of that, but the Red Line is standing in the middle of it.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I feel like will of D and the meaning of the D in names has to be the same. It's a pretty literal theme in OP, those who come after inherit the will of those who came before. It's clear to me people with the surname D are not blood related (unless there is a common ancestor 800 years ago) but it's clear most of them have to some capacity inherited something which pushes them to stand up against tyranny in some form (except teach). An idea I've been considering is that perhaps the tenryubito appropriated the dragon imagery and name when their ancestors took over the world. So those who carry the D name could be the ones who inherited the will of the original, presumably "good" dragons.

Zmsp

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I feel like will of D and the meaning of the D in names has to be the same. It's a pretty literal theme in OP, those who come after inherit the will of those who came before. It's clear to me people with the surname D are not blood related (unless there is a common ancestor 800 years ago) but it's clear most of them have to some capacity inherited something which pushes them to stand up against tyranny in some form (except teach). An idea I've been considering is that perhaps the tenryubito appropriated the dragon imagery and name when their ancestors took over the world. So those who carry the D name could be the ones who inherited the will of the original, presumably "good" dragons.
The last sentence goes in line with what I previously told you to try to justify the reasoning behind it.

The hoof is supposed to be, like I'm trying to say, a fake demonstration of ownership, when they're not even the original "dragons", and the idea of branding people is fundamentally against the ideals of the original ones. Actually, I think that even if you don't take anything I said into account, if there's one thing that most people agree about, is that the World Government are not the original world rulers, or not exclusively. If everything about them is fake, there's a mirrored truth. That's the basis for the prediction.
The thing about the Will of D, and inherited will for that matter, is that it doesn't really require being a D. in order to carry it or pass it on. Law is the easiest example, because he was actually set on a path of destruction, and came to defend those ideals by virtue of a freaking Celestial Dragon and his compassion.

I mean, sure, the ones that actually carry the name are the fated ones that will eventually stand at the summit of this conflict, but like you previously pointed out, you can carry the name, but not necessarily the will, and Blackbeard's the glaring example. That's why they seem conceptually different, even if they most likely branch from the same core of people.

If I had to pick one of the options and ignore the other, I'd go with Dragons, because it fits the "Dragons will always cause a storm or goble you up" folktale, while Dias(something) does not, but I don't think X Drake was a coincidence, even more so because his backstory was revealed during Doflamingo flashback.

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
I think that the D. were initially the people from Ancient Kingdom that carried the Poneglyphs made in Wano all over the world to friendly Ancient Kingdom allies. That is the reason why D. come from different regions and families. The will of D. is associated with the Poneglyph transhumance and the will to make Joy Boy’s return possible wherever he will reappear in the future. It definitely has something to do with the dawn of the world that Joy Boy promised with the One Piece and the Ancient Weapons.

Vanshrimp

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
With late revelation of the new characters, i also expect D to be the initial of a person's name.

CharlosTenryuubito

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im sama must be a person who can control the weapon. My best bet is that weapon is devil fruit related. Awakened one. The rarest awakened devil fruit even the elder doesnt want to lose Im and also applied the immortality surgery to Im as well.

That weapon/awakened devil fruit power is the one who made them won the war against Ancient Kingdom. So the five elder is the true antagonist and Im is just a weapon. Either Im is actually Lily or not doesnt matter here. Shirahoshi is very lucky that the elders ddint aware of her true identity.

And Lily disappearance maybe related to the crime Zunisha has commited. Perhaps Zunisha was supposed to get Lily back home but he failed to do the task.

FetherMan

Reaction score
Country
United States
“D” meaning “Dawn” and dawn could mean something significant to the world 800 years ago before the formation of the World Government.

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I really want to know the history and everything about the D name it's probably the biggest mystery in one piece for me