Hangout MH Seinen Hangout

Cupcakes

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
Sweden
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Oooh, Elfen lied and Deadman Wonderland ^^!

Haven't read the whole DW yet, but so far I really like it. It's bout Ganta who's taken in to a youth prison called Deadman Wonderland and it's just plain crazy... The prison i mean.
Elfen lied... hm, it's simply awsome. I don't know if you get to say that you like the bloodscenes, but they are really great ^^".
 

miyavisoap

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
1,530
Reaction score
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: What is Seinen Manga?

im 13... and im a girl... and i read lots and lots of seinen... does that mean im weired?

[Luckas]No, it doesn't, imho :)[/Luckas]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

miyavisoap

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
1,530
Reaction score
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

my favorite is.... Tsukihime!!! it is so freakin grotesque lol
it's about vampires and something a little more than that...
and it is simply awesome how Saki cut ppl into pieces!!!

i like Black God too. it's korean seinen so obvisouly i can read the raws lol
and the plot is amazing. i love the authors with a passion (even before black god...)
 

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
985
Reaction score
580
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Hmm... my favourite Seinen?

Ikkitousen - Battles with students from other schools? Something related to "The Three Kingdoms". Umm... nice drawings... <3 <3 <3

Love Hina - Main character is a guy who is not good at everything but as he progresses through the series he grows and becomes more and more dependable. The girls in this series have individual characters, each being unique. It is also vey funny when Keitaro is beaten up for the wrong reasons...

Sekirei - Action in Manga is always good, especially ones that have heroines. The heroines are very seductive too.

Vampire Knight - It is slightly... umm... disturbing but reading it is so interesting. It is always a mystery...

xxxHolic - Every wish has a price to go with it... it is just draws me in and I just want to keep reading it to see what will happen.
Love Hina is Shounen and Vampire KNight is Shoujo.


Oooh, Elfen lied and Deadman Wonderland ^^!

Haven't read the whole DW yet, but so far I really like it. It's bout Ganta who's taken in to a youth prison called Deadman Wonderland and it's just plain crazy... The prison i mean.
Elfen lied... hm, it's simply awsome. I don't know if you get to say that you like the bloodscenes, but they are really great ^^".
Deadman Wonderland is a Shounen.
 

Kyrie Eleison

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 18, 2008
Messages
46
Reaction score
29
Gender
Female
Country
Finland
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Naruto of course!
Nah, kidding. I'd say Blame! followed by Freesia, Bokurano and Gunslinger Girl. Blame is the absolute holy book for me because of the great art and the best sci-fi story I experienced. Not to mention the gorgeous art and the most important point, it has no walls of texts. I like when the art talks instead of tons of dialogues/monologues.

GSG is kind of addicting. Perhaps I like the idea of turning little girls into killer robots. It's not something completely awesome but a good read nevertheless.

As a Matsumoto Jirou fan I have to mention Freesia. I love some psycho dude running around and kicking asses. The story is supported with erotic elements, too, so it couldn't be any better.

Bokurano is a true gem. I love how Kitou kills off all the characters slowly but surely. The fact that the childs are the main characters makes everything more interesting and not to mention sad at the same time. Thematizing issues such as family problems and rape (win win) as a double thumbs up.

my favorite is.... Tsukihime!!! it is so freakin grotesque lol
it's about vampires and something a little more than that...
and it is simply awesome how Saki cut ppl into pieces!!!
I'd highly, very highly advise you playing the visual novel. I'd dare to say Nasu is a god of Japanese literature. And the vnovel has much more content.
 
Last edited:

miyavisoap

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
1,530
Reaction score
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

play the visual novel?? what does that mean kyrie san?
 

Kyrie Eleison

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 18, 2008
Messages
46
Reaction score
29
Gender
Female
Country
Finland
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

play the visual novel?? what does that mean kyrie san?
Well visual novel is basically a novel that's supported with pictures and audio (though Tsukihime had no audio but the translated version of the game kind of enables playing audio. Not to mention TYPE-MOON started working on Tsukihime remake). An example would be this. Also wikipedia has a nice article about VNs.
 

miyavisoap

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
1,530
Reaction score
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

aha.... i knew what they are--i actually played them before--but didnt know what they were called lol
thanks for the info kyrie san =]
at first i was thinking of something similar to light novels... well, cuz i love them =]
 

Akuser

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

My favorite's are....Air Gear and Tenjou Tenge

Air Gear- Iunno its just cool all around i guess
Tenjou Tenge- Cool fights (Saw the anime dont know if there was a manga)
Haha. wat a nice guy, i think u posted in wrong box.

I loves a lot of Seinen, maybe forgot some manga. Just listing

100% Love ><
Blood Alone
Ciguatera
Densha Otoko (:p)
Ressentiment​ (:p)
Eden
Girlfriend
Himizu
Bersert
Claymore
The Ravages of Time
Yubisaki Milk Tea
Solanin (:()
D-ASH
Koi Kaze
Jiraishin
NHK ni Youkoso!
Battle Angel Alita
Yokohama
Homunculus
...
And All Manga of:
URASAWA Naoki (Master Keaton, Monster, Pluto, 20/21th Century Boys....)
SADAMOTO Yoshiyuki (Evangelion, Dirty Work, System of Romance)
Boichi (Hotel)
FUJISAWA Tohru (Rose Hip Rose/Zero, GTO....)
IKEGAMI Ryoichi (Crying Freeman, Offered, Sanctuary, Strain)
ITOU Junji (Uzumaki, Tomie...)
NIHEI Tsutomu (Blame!, Abara, Digimortal...)

80% Love thats mean Like not Love :D
Gantz (well, all about sex+gore)
Vagabond (loves it, but really tired...)
Battle Royale (same as gantz)
Dogs
All dark manga like "Icchi the killer" or "MPD" (sick+psycho+slice of life...)
...
 

Ichigo69

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 29, 2007
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: What is Seinen Manga?

Let me clarify a bit about demographic vs. genre.

Demographic has to do with the target audience the mangaka is shooting for. These are typically Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen, and Josei. Shounen and shoujo manga are typically targeted to boys and girls (respectively) between the ages of 10 and 18. Seinen and josei manga are typically targeted to men and women (respecively) between the ages of 18 and up. There is also a demographic called Kodomo which is typically targetted to children.

What kind of demographic a manga is depends on what serial magazine it is published in. For example, Naruto is published in Weekly Shounen Jump, hence it it a shounen series. Maria-sama ga Miteru is published in Margaret, making it a shoujo series. Gantz is published in Weekly Young Jump, making it a seinen series. Honey and Clover was published in Young You and then subsequently Chorus, making it a josei series. Doraemon was published in CoroCoro Comic making it a kodomo series.

Now, genre has more to do with the content of a manga. Series like Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh, and Hidamari Sketch are considered 'Slice of Life'. Series like Vampire Knight and MPD Psycho are considered 'Horror'. Series like Eyeshield 21, Ookiku Furikabutte, and Major are considered 'Sports'. There are others, but I really don't feel like listing them all out. >_<

Most of the time, demographic and genre go together (i.e. more violent, sexual themes are seinen, action and comedy are shounen, romance is shoujo, etc), but not always. For instance Cowboy Bebop seems like it would be shounen, but was published in Asuka magazine, making it a shoujo manga. Welcome to the NHK seems like it would be seinen, but was published in Shounen Ace, making it a shounen. CLANNAD seems like it would be a shoujo, but is published in Dengeki G's, making it a Seinen. This is where people usually get confused.

To make it even MORE confusing, sometimes series change demographics. For instance, Rozen Maiden was originally published in Comic Birz, making it a shounen series. However, Peach Pit (the manga group) is now writing a new incarnation of Rozen Maiden, but instead, is publishing it in Weekly Young Jump, making it a seinen manga.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit ^_^
 
Last edited:

Quetz

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2008
Messages
496
Reaction score
18
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

These descriptions are littered with mild spoilers.

Gantz- This was my first seinen manga, and it quickly got me acclaimated to the differences between seinen and shounen. The unexpected plot turns, interesting characters, stylish weapons, random cover girls, well-done fights (it really does feel like they're struggling just to stay alive, let alone become powerhouses like osaka), and well-rounded cast all had me hooked in less than two volumes.

Berserk- I don't know if I really need to even list this one, since it's pretty much a given. Amazingly epic artwork that I could lose myself in at times, characters that are so well fleshed out that I feel as if I know them, masterfully done battle scenes and a gripping plot all come together to make this the best manga I've ever read, and I struggle constantly to try to find another manga that can match up to it. The long waits between releases are a small price to pay when compared to being able to read such a masterpiece for free.

Shamo - Just recently read this one, and I haven't had a whole lot of time to digest it mentally. It starts off interestingly enough, with a normal character performing a random act of insanity, followed by that character's journey through a metaphorical hell. Fascinating as it was in the beginning, in the end I became a bit disenchanted with it as it branched out into other characters (randomly training the main char in the mountains to face a foe that he never really hits more than once? really?), but since it's not over yet I have high hopes. The fact that the main character seems to have recently forgotten a lot of what he's learned is confusing me a bit, but I assume it'll all become clear in time.

Vagabond - This one is a bit odd for me. I know I like it, I know I enjoyed reading it, and that it was a hell of a ride. The only thing I don't know is WHY I enjoyed this manga as much as I did. Similar to Shamo, when the perspective switched to a secondary character (deaf guy, not Musashi's friend), I quickly lost interest since I couldn't see the direct connection to the main story line. Recently it's picked back up for me, and I'm into it again, but if Musashi really is crippled-ish for life, I don't know how the author will keep me that way.

Battle Royale - I loved this manga on the whole, but I grew tired of the constant backstorying. Mitsu as a villain was a bit over the top for me, but I suppose that her backstory was acceptable in revealing her whole personality. Overall I really liked the main characters (and Mim, who was pretty badass) and the villains (sans Mitsu), as well as the action, but I quickly grew tired of the constant backstories. Essentially, this is the quintessential must-read survival manga, period.

Ichi the Killer - I wasn't expecting much from this one, but it surprised me. Interesting characters without being TOO repulsive was a big plus, even if the ending was a bit of a cliffhanger (honestly, I feel like I just didn't read a final chapter, even though I clearly did). Excellent action, innovative weapon's on our protagonist(?)'s part, and the pacing all made this manga well worth the read.

Elfen Lied - I didn't care for this one, although a lot of other people seem to really dig it. On the whole it seemed like it was just a bit too much like a Shoujo with some random dismembering, and the plot slowed to a crawl near the end.

Ubel Blatt - I recently gave this one a try, and after a rocky start (the prologue sounds like some sort of wannabe LotR knockoff) it really got me hooked. The depth of the main character is offset by his single-minded determination to exact his revenge, and I very much get where he's coming from (in the sense that I often ignore all the complicated factors of a situation and just focus on what I was after in the beginning), and the action scenes are above average. Not many people seem to like it, but odds are they're comparing it to the likes of Berserk, which really isn't fair for a manga that's less than fifty chapters along. Having said that, let me directly contradict it by saying that unlike Berserk, I don't think that this particular manga is worth the long intervals between releases.


This topic was a good read. I've picked out a few new titles that I'll definitely be giving a shot, thanks all for writing such detailed responses.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
The seinen section got a little revamp last night, as you can see :p

Discussion threads that aren't aimed at a specific series have to go to the Otaku Cafe from now. The demographic boards will be focus on the one-thread-per-series-schema. But we're not that evil to chase our seinen fans completely off into the mixed-demographic discussion section - so here's the MH Seinen Hangout for the more commonly seinen talk!

Feel free to chat about "manly manga" in general and about those who don't fit the stereotypical description of seinen. Discuss seinen magazines, authors & artists, the Edited Manga scene and meet other seinen manga lovers and fans of mature manhwa (seongin) and manhua as well.

Have fun! :ossu
 
Last edited:

Y-on

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 27, 2008
Messages
234
Reaction score
30
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Recommendations - Suggest me... a Seinen!

I have to recommend Mysterious Girlfriend X, it's more of a romance manga, if not a strange one (but strange in a good way). The plot line original, and I really enjoy the storyline, I don't really read Seniens much, so it's nice when I find one I actually like. Here's more info about the series straght from Wikipedia:

"Mysterious Girlfriend X is the story of high school student Akira Tsubaki and his classmate, a strange scissors-wielding girl named Mikoto Urabe, who begin an unusual romance after he becomes addicted to her saliva."

The first couple of chapters may seem a little strange, but afterwards it gets really appealing.

Onemanga link:
http://www.onemanga.com/Mysterious_Girlfriend_X/
 
Last edited:

Helltroll

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
686
Reaction score
140
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Thanks for the thread,eni. Very manly indeed :amuse
I just erad the last hellsing chapter and I must say that I'm...completly disappointed. I wanted HIM to return but not in this way. However I'm now in need for a good seinen series and can't decide between the following:
Berserk
Bastard!!
Blade of the Immortal
Vinland Saga
Any tips for an fellow seinen reader? ;)
 

zindryr

誰も知らない
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Administrator
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
1,630
Reaction score
200
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Berserk if you're looking for a serious fantasy-based series. Vinland Saga if you're looking for a more historical one. Blade of the Immortal if you're looking for something based in a sort of feudal Japanese world (with some kinds of magic and fighting I hear). Bastard!! if you're just looking for something so absolutely ridiculous it's fun.
 

Helltroll

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
686
Reaction score
140
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Thanks for the help. Bastard!! I'm coming! :)
 

wrstljr

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
198
Reaction score
28
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

These descriptions are littered with mild spoilers.

Ubel Blatt - I recently gave this one a try, and after a rocky start (the prologue sounds like some sort of wannabe LotR knockoff) it really got me hooked. The depth of the main character is offset by his single-minded determination to exact his revenge, and I very much get where he's coming from (in the sense that I often ignore all the complicated factors of a situation and just focus on what I was after in the beginning), and the action scenes are above average. Not many people seem to like it, but odds are they're comparing it to the likes of Berserk, which really isn't fair for a manga that's less than fifty chapters along. Having said that, let me directly contradict it by saying that unlike Berserk, I don't think that this particular manga is worth the long intervals between releases.


This topic was a good read. I've picked out a few new titles that I'll definitely be giving a shot, thanks all for writing such detailed responses.
I tried reading Ubel Blatt after having it recommended to me, and I found it to be the most disgusting and awful manga I've ever read. No offense to your personal taste at all but to me it's just shallow with big overdone scenes that aren't really plot driven...like a Michael Bay movie or something haha.

Anyways I'd recommend

Tenjou Tenge Mainly because the flashback Arc is good enough to be a stand alone manga. Honestly the backstory in Tenjou is probably like 40% of the story and has the majority of the good characters in it haha...it's definitely a worthwhile read just cause of that. To me Oh! Great is one of the better "writer" manga-ka's just because he always has great dialouge or speeches from characters.

Also...many large breasted women.

Zetman Kind of like Gantz because it is just pure entertainment and very well drawn. Also it's interesting that there are 2 main characters that the story switches between.

Finally I'll definitely say Ichi the Killer, Battle Royale and Gantz are great reads if you just want to get into Seinen..though Ichi the Killer isn't really for the weak hearted haha.

Berserk I wouldn't recommend if your just starting out because it takes like 2-4 days in realtime to read the entire series.

OH and for the love of God if your a manga fan and you've never read One Piece go do yourself a favor and commit to it's awesomeness. I know it's not a Seinen title but it's something that everyone who's a fan of manga should read...so if you havent read that immeadiately go and download that masterpiece.


[Luckas]Added spoiler tag.[/Luckas]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Dragun57

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 21, 2008
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Recommendations - Suggest me... a Seinen!

One manga that I haven't seen mentioned is Holyland. I was bored and looking up martial arts mangas at onemanga and stumbled onto this one. It's about a high school first year that has gained a reputation as a gang killer because he beats up guys trying to pick on him. This is due to him practicing boxing on his own after being picked on too much in middle school. I don't want to spoil too much, but the story is told very well and the main character is interesting. Anyone who's ever felt like an outsider can easily relate to this guy. The author also writes from a personal perspective on occasion when describing some of the intricacies of what's happening in the manga. I did some reseach and I believe this manga is already complete, just not scanalated past ch. 35. I'm going to start searching for raws and cleaning myself because I like this manga so much (I might as well learn to clean out of passion).
 

Digitalr

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2007
Messages
106
Reaction score
44
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Recommendations - Suggest me... a Seinen!

One manga that I haven't seen mentioned is Holyland. I was bored and looking up martial arts mangas at onemanga and stumbled onto this one. It's about a high school first year that has gained a reputation as a gang killer because he beats up guys trying to pick on him. This is due to him practicing boxing on his own after being picked on too much in middle school. I don't want to spoil too much, but the story is told very well and the main character is interesting. Anyone who's ever felt like an outsider can easily relate to this guy. The author also writes from a personal perspective on occasion when describing some of the intricacies of what's happening in the manga. I did some reseach and I believe this manga is already complete, just not scanalated past ch. 35. I'm going to start searching for raws and cleaning myself because I like this manga so much (I might as well learn to clean out of passion).
Might as well apply at Illuminati-manga, they work on it.. so you'll help the releases get out faster.
 

hlcws

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 18, 2008
Messages
12
Reaction score
2
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
Re: Your favorite seinen (and why)

Tenjou Tenge Mainly because the flashback Arc is good enough to be a stand alone manga. Honestly the backstory in Tenjou is probably like 40% of the story and has the majority of the good characters in it haha...it's definitely a worthwhile read just cause of that. To me Oh! Great is one of the better "writer" manga-ka's just because he always has great dialouge or speeches from characters.

Also...many large breasted women.
Are there any similar manga to Tenjou Tenge?
Only one I know is Battle Angel Alita (its cyberpunk tho), which also has lot of flashbacks, struggle against the past and a lot of reflection on strategicy/mysticism/martial arts concepts.
 
Top