Hangout MH Seinen Hangout

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I still haven't read Gon, it is reputably a classic. If it lives up to reputation let me know. Beginning in August Kodansha will be reissuing it in the States. 20th Century Boys is definitely a classic, maybe the best mystery/thriller in manga history.
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I still haven't read Gon, it is reputably a classic. If it lives up to reputation let me know. Beginning in August Kodansha will be reissuing it in the States. 20th Century Boys is definitely a classic, maybe the best mystery/thriller in manga history.
I think Gon big times is a question of personal taste. I mean it contains not a single line of text and only gives comedy via images. I think it's hilarious and great though, you should definitly give it a try :D
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Anyone with an open mind, high tolerance for disturbing imagery and themes should check out God's Child. This is proper alternative manga, modern art in the format of a comic. I've had the chance to read a little of the Nishioka siblings warped work before and am really excited for more. Fans of Kago Shintaro's or Furuya Usamaru's 'Garden' and 'Palepoli' will enjoy. Please keep in mind this series has some very disturbing scenes and is not for everyone.
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Oh I see, also translated by Kotonoha, they have such an interesting choice of series!
I'll definitly have a look at it. It's already completed with only those five chapters, isn't it?
Edit: nvm, seems 1 volume is all but that it actually has 11 chapters, so there must be 6 more to come.
 
Last edited:

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Anything scanned by Kotonoha is worth checking out. :tem

Just got done reading the released chapters of God's Child. It was wonderfully disturbing and twisted. Totally agree with what Kaiten said about it. This is alt manga to the core. It really feels like you're reading a piece of modern art. But yeah, it is most definitely not for everyone. But if you have a strong stomach and want to expand your manga horizons, I would recommend giving it a try. :amuse

I hadn't read anything by the Nishioka siblings before, but now I really want to check out more. I had seen Journey to the End of the World a long while back and thought it sounded interesting, but kind of forgot about it until now. Anybody read this? It looks like the scans stalled quite a while ago, which I'm sure is why I didn't take a look at it the first time I heard of it.

I read Book of the Moon, an extraordinary one shot by Furuya Usamaru. Rich in symbolism, Book of the Moon stands with Music of Marie as Furuya's most accomplished story. It is chapter 5 in his one shot collection Garden. I highly recommend reading it, along with all of the other collected stories. It's a great overview of Furuya's various styles, from gekiga to mainstream seinen.
Kaiten already knows my opinion on this, but Book of the Moon is one of the best things I've read in a very long time. It was sooooooo gorgeous. The themes were totally different, but when reading it, I got the same feeling from it that I got when reading Music of Marie. The art style, the tone, everything reminded me of Music of Marie. I love all of Furuya's various styles, but this is the one that really grabs me the most. I wish he would write more stories like this. :luv
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Journey to the End of the World is great, sadly Edited Mangas are unfinished and I don't know if they will ever be completed. A very short one shot of theirs is in the absolutely essential AX, Volume 1 collection.
 

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
That's licensed in English? :wtf I've seen that collection before, but never realized it was licensed. I will certainly be purchasing this. <333
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I think it was compiled for the US market, could be wrong though.
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Journey is something we want to restart over at Mangascreener, but so far we haven't managed to trick someone into translating it. ;)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
That's what I figured. I'm sure it takes a special person to translate Nishioka
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I just read Hotel, by pure accident because some ad bot pushed the topic so I checked in to delete it x)
The comments about it beeing awesome are absolutely true, this oneshot is an absolute 10/10 masterpiece. I totally recommend it.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I've been meaning to read it but keep putting it off. I'll definitely give it a try in the morning. By the mangaka of Sun Ken Rock I believe. Another series I have not read.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
are there any manga which has characters that are philosophers? Nothing magical or fantastical, just pure realistic philosophy? Not a realistic title though, something with more philosophy to it?
Try Historie. :cookiehand
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I'm rereading Planetes right now. I'm so depressed that it is out of print, because I want to buy it so bad. It is one of the best stories I have ever read. It is incredible. I NEED Kodansha U.S.A. to reprint this series when they get up and running. I MUST have it in my collection. I refuse to pay over $100 a volume to those crooks on Amazon though.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Kodansha has some work to do. They need to reissue Blame! too. The anime of Planetes is quite good and still in print, I believe.
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Was just translating some more Sachiko & Neko-sama, and I thought to myself: Funniest, but even more RAUNCHIEST high school comedy manga ever (without delving into fanservice). Seriously Karasawa just pushes the boundaries of good taste. It's basically the exact opposite of fanservice, unless you're like me and have a bit of a sadomasochistic mind.
I'm on volume two myself, but my proofreader takes some time to get them ready for the edit. Nonetheless, expect 5-6 soon-ish.
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Nice to see that someone is Editing/translating Tetsuwan Birdy (II) again. I've always wanted to read it, if this translator proves they're not going to disappear after a month I will try it.


I also need to catch up with Peacemaker, a good action manga with a novel old west plot. I used to read it but lost track when scans stalled in late 2009. I really need to catch back up.
 
Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
After I already had a look at a couple of Tenjo Tenge chapters a while back I just watched a few episodes, because I found the manga rather poorly told. pretty confusing storytelling and panels, even though it's actually a rather simple storyline.
It feels like an insipid mixture of Dragon Ball and Naruto to me. Well, quality is okay, so it's fine to watch every now and then to escape severe boredom, but nothing else.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Oh! Great is famous for two things: great art and horrible writing.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I agree. I tried to read two manga of his, I think, and I dropped both when I realized they were really going nowhere. :s
 
Top