Hangout MH Seinen Hangout

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
They did it years ago, before they had even licensed Naruto. They used to license all kinds of crazy stuff, like No. 5. Then again they made a separate line of books for IKKI a couple of years ago. There must be a few cool people left in their editorial department :p
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
@Kaiten

Lol, yeah I know of Zetsubou sensei, the other two are a complete mystery to me, oh well, I guess i might get to read them if they are similar. Strange that Zetsubou seinsei is shounen, the magazine it is published in must be shounen I suspect?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Yep, one of the big ones too: Weekly Shounen Magazine. It's serialized alongside Fairy Tail and Negima :XD

Super Cruel and Terrible Tales is psychotic. Definitely give it a try sometime. It's another cynical, jaded black comedy.
 

barbapapa

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2005
Messages
1,189
Reaction score
127
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Yep, one of the big ones too: Weekly Shounen Magazine. It's serialized alongside Fairy Tail and Negima :XD

Super Cruel and Terrible Tales is psychotic. Definitely give it a try sometime. It's another cynical, jaded black comedy.
Definitely give my latest translation project "Sachiko & Neko-sama" a shot then, it's by the same guy and at least as depraved as SCaTToM.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's definitely on my list, after I catch up to Piano no Mori I'll give it a try.
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Oh wow I'll be reading so much the next days... job ends on monday, lot of free time for a while, and my Wish List makes 50% of my overall manga list (means it's as long as reading, completed, dropped and paused together)!

Highest priorities:
Otoyomegatari
Saint Young Men
Yotsuba&!
I am a Hero
Mushishi
Piano No Mori

And then there still is stuff like Blade of the Immortal, Elfen Lied, Monster and 20th Century Boys waiting... Having such a list in front of me eases the pain of finishing with good series, knowing that there still are many more out there :D
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yep, one of the big ones too: Weekly Shounen Magazine. It's serialized alongside Fairy Tail and Negima :XD

Super Cruel and Terrible Tales is psychotic. Definitely give it a try sometime. It's another cynical, jaded black comedy.
Oh my, so Zetsubou sensei has really hard competition in it's own magazine, I have to visit the ToC thread for Weekly Shounen Magazine to see how good or bad it does in the rankings.

Lol, yeah sometime being cruel is funny in these manga that is seinen though right?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Kopt3: All good choices. Don't forget to read Arakawa after St. Young Men. If you like one you'll like both. My list:

Arakawa (catch up on volume 6, read volume 7 when the batch is out)
Read volume 3 of Kidou Ryodan Hachifukujin (Edited Mangas just came out)
Read Sachiko to Neko-sama
Get back to Piano no Mori :p

Oh my, so Zetsubou sensei has really hard competition in it's own magazine, I have to visit the ToC thread for Weekly Shounen Magazine to see how good or bad it does in the rankings.
Kodansha is pretty mangaka friendly, they don't cancel series as frequently as Jump. ShoMag's TOC doesn't even go in popular order. The editors of Weekly Morning are known to ignore reader polls when deciding what stays in the magazine, sometimes they'll move a series to Afternoon rather than cancel.

Lol, yeah sometime being cruel is funny in these manga that is seinen though right?[/QUOTE]

It's okay, I have a mean sense of humor :p
Now you got me in the mood for a good comedy manga.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
@ Roflkopt3r

Brilliant list, you can make no mistake with each and every series. :D
You may want to mix the light hearted comedic series with the ones that have a lot of psychological aspects to them, because after you read many comedy ones it is hard to get used to all the others more mature I guess, do you consider adding Liar Game to that list? :D

@ Kaiten

That is a better way to do it then Jump, I am posting this here, after I posted in the Jump thread about their axing policy. :/
It is better to give everyone a try. Oh well nice to know they don't bother much with rankings and making money like Jump does.

Haha, most of the seinen comedy ones are filled with it.
I usually mix seinen comedy and seinen gore ones or psychological ones as I mentioned.^^
But glad you are going to read even more. :)
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Ok, another question from me about a series, the one called Kodomo no Jikan, is it considered seinen, and does it have a thread here, I searched and yet again I could not get clear results?

I know it runs in a seinen magazine.^^
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Ok, another question from me about a series, the one called Kodomo no Jikan, is it considered seinen, and does it have a thread here, I searched and yet again I could not get clear results?

I know it runs in a seinen magazine.^^
Now since Seinen section only has 8 pages, it's still possible to search for threads "manually": Just press ctrl-F (depending on the browser I think? But it's definitly the shortcut in firefox) and enter the name (or a part of it, like "Kodomo" here). Then just jump through all pages of the board and press "Downwards" once on each page, to check whether it contains the phrase "Kodomo" anywhere.

There's definitly no thread for Kodomo no Jikan yet.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Now since Seinen section only has 8 pages, it's still possible to search for threads "manually": Just press ctrl-F (depending on the browser I think? But it's definitly the shortcut in firefox) and enter the name (or a part of it, like "Kodomo" here). Then just jump through all pages of the board and press "Downwards" once on each page, to check whether it contains the phrase "Kodomo" anywhere.

There's definitly no thread for Kodomo no Jikan yet.
I understand this, I just did not want to make a mistake in making a thread again, like I did with Saint Young Men, but I shall make it this time, the only concern to me now is if there is a thread in another sub-forum because I am not sure if it is seinen?
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I understand this, I just did not want to make a mistake in making a thread again, like I did with Saint Young Men, but I shall make it this time, the only concern to me now is if there is a thread in another sub-forum because I am not sure if it is seinen?
It's published in Comic High! which seems to be classified as a Seinen magazine. So the thread belongs in this section :)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
search ---> advanced search -----> beneath the keyword field set the drop down menu to 'search title only'. If nothing comes up, there isn't a thread.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
well what I really do is look for the manga title, and as it shows, there usually is a link to the thread, thanks to the lovely DB mods. :)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I read Book of the Moon, an extraordinary one shot by Furuya Usamaru. Rich in symbolism, Book of the Moon stands with Music of Marie as Furuya's most accomplished story. It is chapter 5 in his one shot collection Garden. I highly recommend reading it, along with all of the other collected stories. It's a great overview of Furuya's various styles, from gekiga to mainstream seinen.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Hm, well since I would consider it a seinen title, are there any manga which has characters that are philosophers? Nothing magical or fantastical, just pure realistic philosophy? Not a realistic title though, something with more philosophy to it?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Music of Marie comes to mind. Very similar to Book of the Moon, only longer. Anything by Daiuke Iragashi would qualify. Witches is the only manga of his that is fully translated online. All four volumes of Children of the Sea are available for sale in the US and Canada. Fujiwara Kaoru's manga are all very philosophical too. She does josei not seinen though.
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
My reading list of awesome Seinen becomes longer rather than shorter :D
Currently reading 20th Century Boys, and it lives up to the hypes and rewards easily. A great manga, kinda the same type of thriller as Death Note but with this lovely 60's/70's/Rock contents and time jumping all the time. Great storytelling and cool characters!

Afterwards I'll probably read Kisswood. Really, I go by cover pages - good cover page -> I'll start reading :XD
And this one is kinda awesome: http://8.p.s.mfcdn.net/store/manga/8335/01-001.0/compressed/e1_kisswood_cover.jpg
Also: Gon. Someone posted some really funny pictures of it, without any words or stuff - they just looked so hilariously funny, and I love this wordless humor! This is the type of page that gets me laughing: http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/T33_K3SS3LCH3N/Anime Manga/055gc.jpg
 
Last edited:
Top