Hangout MH Seinen Hangout

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I have a question guys.
Wolfen Crest... how much time between chapter releases? I want to know if it's a regular manga...
I don't know about the original chapter pace, but it seems that no Edited Manga group has caught up to it yet, or am I wrong here?
They lack 10 chapters behind and release a new one from time to time as far as I noticed.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Do you guys know what happened with the scans of saint young men?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Translation issues, I believe. Meg-chan hasn't been active in a while. Serizawa hasn't done a chapter in almost two years. It's a shame, a brilliant manga. It won't ever be licensed in the States either, without Edited Mangas I doubt I'll ever be able to read it. Hint, hint, hint Manga Stream :tem
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
An upgrade about Wolfen Crest (also already posted this in the according thread): Illuminati-Manga said that the project had been handed over to them and Chapter 75 was scanlated/uploaded a few days ago.

I just started reading Chobits (Ch. 10 so far) after hearing it was a classic. Originally I catched the name when I read a wikipedia article about the definition of Seinen, which said that Seinen can sometimes be mistaken with Shojo by treating nearby topics, and gave Chobits as an example, which got me interested.
Chi is so adorable and cute on the one side, and yet it feels so scary to see the protagonist obviously noticing the same thing, making the reader potentially fear the idea that the guy might become addicted to this machine (especially after Chi and he read that story "The City without People" and seeing him not understanding it).
What a rare double-edged situation that is. Usually it's rather the other way around, some guy not noticing how great a woman/girl actually is, keeping the reader hoping that he will acknowledge it one day to fall in love with her. A nice inversion of that!

While at the same time keeping the reader wondering if Chi wouldn't possibly even deserve that by beeing just as human as a human beeing :blink

I don't really see how it could be mistaken with Shojo after 20 chapters -way too much computer/techno-ethic topics to be Shojo-, but it's really nice. Such a cute, light-footed fassade while giving me the chills with all the questions, concerns, allusions and story hints (which might just as well be fakes) it gives.
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I watched chobits when I was a... well, kid, sorta. Back then I didn't care for demographics or whatnot, as long as it was anime I'd watch it.

And suffice to say, when I watched chobits, I thought, What the hell is this? I thought it was equivalent to Midori Days- you know, a guy needs to "crack open" his robot and the switch happens to be "there".

But I never gave it a second look. I was but a kid then, it really confused me a lot. lol.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's been a long time since I read Chobits. I was still a manga noob and expected everything to be like Bleach or Elfen Lied. I need to give it another try sometime.

It's shonen not seinen but I highly recommend Shingeki no Kyojin to every seinen fan. Besides being a great action manga, the art and content is stylistically closer to seinen. Volume 1 was scanlated recently, read it and find out what I mean!
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I really recommend re-reading Chobits to you then, it was a very enjoyable read, I finished it yesterday :)
It's fairly deep indeed, around the level of Planetes, perhaps even more by a level.

And, to add it here as well, Nononono is totally worth reading it, and probably it will catch you within the first five chapters anyways so please have a look at it, the latest chapter was awesome :amuse

I'll have a look at Shingeki no Kyojin, I think I saw a page from it somewhere and it looked quite impressive.
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
oooh, it sounds interesting.. maybe i'll go for chobits first and the nonono will get buried deep in my to read list >.<
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Just read one of the cooler one shots I've seen in a long time: Taiyo Matsumoto's revisionist take on on Doraemon. It's about the effects of time travel on an adult Nobita. Great, stuff. Almost reminiscent of a short story by Borges.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
wow, that sounds awesome.

btw, kopta-san, I finished Chobits, and I must say it's a very easy and entertaining read. Very sweet and... easy. 7/10 in my scale.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
That was an interesting take on Doraemon. Kind of weird. Kind of sad. Thanks for sharing Kaiten.

Why does the Seinen section seem so dead? There is hardly any activity in here. Everyone should go read Kokou no Hito and then come discuss it with the Kokou no Hito thread. :)
 

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Kaiten, that oneshot was beautiful! T__T I really loved it. I don't want to spoil too much, but I found it to be a perfect illustration of how one's perspective changes with age. bb, please go check it out. ^^

@MattC302 - I've read about the first 25 chapters or so of Kokou no Hito (all that was scanned at that time). It was pretty interesting to read a manga about rock climbing. I may pick it up again sometime in the near future and join you over in the discussion thread. :amuse But speaking of unusual sports being the subject of manga, have you tried Nononono yet? It's about ski jumping. If not, and you are enjoying Kokou no Hito, I'd recommend you try this one out.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
@igotthegoods- Thanks for the recommendation. I might check that out. The great thing about Seinen sports manga is that they are about so much more than sports. Kokou no Hito has evolved so much since chapter 25. It really turned into a great piece of writing with wonderful symbolism and the art keeps getting better and better. I don't think you will regret picking it back up.
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
wow, that sounds awesome.

btw, kopta-san, I finished Chobits, and I must say it's a very easy and entertaining read. Very sweet and... easy. 7/10 in my scale.
Nice to see people reading it. My personal rating would be even higher, but I don't think it's really that much of an easy story. I mean it's not complicated for itself -as the storyline is a rather simple one-, but I racked my brain all time long about the questions of human-computer relations and what it takes until a computer can be considered "human" in terms of emotions etc. It's quite a heavy one in that regards, giving a lot of stuff to think about (which probably aren't even possible to answer).
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
My problem with Chobits is that I'm not a big CLAMP fan. I like them but don't love them, I always end up feeling the same about their manga. How much you like there series really depends on how much you like them. You should definitely read more of their manga if you like Chobits.

wow, that sounds awesome.

btw, kopta-san, I finished Chobits, and I must say it's a very easy and entertaining read. Very sweet and... easy. 7/10 in my scale.
I loved it, it was really brilliant and deep for a 20p short story. If nothing else it was freaky seeing Doraemon drawn like a real cat :s

That was an interesting take on Doraemon. Kind of weird. Kind of sad. Thanks for sharing Kaiten.
There was something sad about it. Almost as though Nobita couldn't let go of the past or stop worrying about the future. I loved when the elderly Nobita came back and told his past self that life was to short to worry about. The combination of the art and the way he said it made it feel transcendent, not the usual cliche.

Why does the Seinen section seem so dead? There is hardly any activity in here. Everyone should go read Kokou no Hito and then come discuss it with the Kokou no Hito thread. :)
It's a long, long story that has as much to do with the founding of the site as it does the present. Anyway, we've kind of been labeled as a shonen site, that's really stuck over the years and not much was done to fix that. We need more members who are seinen fans first, come to the forum, post, and aren't scared of being ignored. Someone will see, hopefully they'll respond, and hopefully more seinen fans will register. Start threads, respond to old ones, start conversations. We may never become the Naruto forum, but hopefully enough fans will come around to have some really good discussions!

Kaiten, that oneshot was beautiful! T__T I really loved it. I don't want to spoil too much, but I found it to be a perfect illustration of how one's perspective changes with age. bb, please go check it out. ^^
I loved it too. I loved how the three nobito each gave a different perspective on life. The child looking worried about the future, the teen thinking the weight of the world was on his shoulders, and the old man who could take the longer, deeper view.

@igotthegoods- Thanks for the recommendation. I might check that out. The great thing about Seinen sports manga is that they are about so much more than sports. Kokou no Hito has evolved so much since chapter 25. It really turned into a great piece of writing with wonderful symbolism and the art keeps getting better and better. I don't think you will regret picking it back up.
Sadly, Edited Mangas have stalled but Giant Killing is a great series. To be honest, my favorite sports manga are shonen: Cross Game and H2.
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
My problem with Chobits is that I'm not a big CLAMP fan. I like them but don't love them, I always end up feeling the same about their manga. How much you like there series really depends on how much you like them. You should definitely read more of their manga if you like Chobits.
Isn't especially Chobits an exeption to them?
I mean, yes it plays in "their universe" so to speak, but it's -as far as I know- their only work considered as "Seinen" (even though some may argue that it's a tough call to order it into a specific demographic, I think it's suitable though).

I tryed Übel Blatt (to imagine that this is supposed to be a German title, amazing and funny :D), but I didn't really take to it. I think I kind of lost my connection to fantasy genre in general. All those weird terms and names and rules of magic and stuff. It takes a very slight introduction for me to be able to like such worlds. Berserk is a good example for that, it introduces supernatural elements only very slowly, one piece at a time, and carefully (without making it look like that). Übel Blatt throws the reader right into a world of dragons and spells and super strong heroes and stuff.
However, I still see some qualities to it. The hero and background story are interesting, the world has a slight touch of steampunk, and the humor often is a great combination of bold/partially sexual and slightly subtle humor, mainly taciturn, which I love.


That was an interesting take on Doraemon. Kind of weird. Kind of sad. Thanks for sharing Kaiten.

Why does the Seinen section seem so dead? There is hardly any activity in here. Everyone should go read Kokou no Hito and then come discuss it with the Kokou no Hito thread. :)
I'll have a look at Kokou no Hito then, I'm looking for something to read anyways. The description doesn't sound specifically promising, but good enough to develope a great story of it. And I love that cover posted in the thread http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/esker08/the_climber_pages.png :D

Apart from that, I think it's a pity that the Nononono thread is so inactive for a while. The latest chapters might not be what everyone likes, but they definitly were intense in a way (for me in a way that I obviously want to know what happens but that I don't really wanted to see that what happened, it's so tragic :oh)
 
Last edited:

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
It's a long, long story that has as much to do with the founding of the site as it does the present. Anyway, we've kind of been labeled as a shonen site, that's really stuck over the years and not much was done to fix that. We need more members who are seinen fans first, come to the forum, post, and aren't scared of being ignored. Someone will see, hopefully they'll respond, and hopefully more seinen fans will register. Start threads, respond to old ones, start conversations. We may never become the Naruto forum, but hopefully enough fans will come around to have some really good discussions!
I'm definitely not scared of being ignored. It does suck being the only one discussing a series though. It feels like you are talking to yourself. On another forum, I am pretty much the only person that posts in the Baki-Son of Ogre thread and I am one of 3 people that post in the Kokou no Hito thread(I used to be the only one). I think it will just take some luck for new Seinen fans to register, but I will do my best to generate discussion between the existing fans. I read a lot of Shonen, but I find it hard to jump into the discussions for some reason. Probably because they are so popular and the thead topics move so fast.

Sadly, Edited Mangas have stalled but Giant Killing is a great series. To be honest, my favorite sports manga are shonen: Cross Game and H2.
I might have to check that out. My list of manga to read is really long though. I actually prefer Shonen sports manga as well. Specifically Eyeshield 21. I never read Cross Game, but I watched the entire anime and I thought it was brilliant. The thing I like about Seinen sports series is that the sport is usually just a "backdrop" for many real life issues and drama. The thing I like about Shonen sports series is that they are usually over the top and full of the "cliche" themes I love like determination, hard work, and friendship.

I'll have a look at Kokou no Hito then, I'm looking for something to read anyways. The description doesn't sound specifically promising, but good enough to develope a great story of it. And I love that cover posted in the thread http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa197/esker08/the_climber_pages.png :D
I didn't think it seemed promising at first either, but I was hooked within the first few chapters. I honestly don't even like sports in real life, and certainly not mountain climbing. The art really drew me in and it had a somewhat "Shonen" beginning, but quickly turned into a very deep and psychological story. It has some pretty deep symbolism in my opinion. OMFGG Scans releases chapters pretty frequently if you decide to read. I wish this series would be licensed in English. I would love to add it to my collection.

Have any of you ever read or heard of the manga 'Evil Heart'? It is an awesome Seinen martial arts manga that was only scanlated up to chapter 12. There is only four volumes and I was so impressed by the first volume that I seriously considered learning French so I could buy the French licensed volumes(I too stupid to learn Japanese, French seems way easier to learn). The story is so emotional. The art style feels like a mixture of Tezuka's art style and the artist that does Eureka 7 and Deadman Wonderland. I am dying to read more of this manga, but it seems that the Manga Editor group quit on it. I guess my only choice is to get my act together to learn either French or Japanese if I want to finish the story.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I agree that the Seinen forums in general don't have much posts or many people viewing them, but some of the boards here seem rather active like the Gantz one or the Vinland Saga one and when not on hiatus even Berserk gets a good amount of posts, about the general area I agree the series are not discussed, but oh well, not many read seinen to be honest, as much as I don't like it it is the truth. Maybe it is because of the huge difference form shounen and the different take on the stories in the manga, or maybe people just don't want to try something new. :(
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I noticed as well, but I don't really understand the reasons.
Shonen seems clearly more popular than Seinen (not to mention Shojo/Josei), which I cannot really understand. Imo Seinen has so much more to offer, the bandwith of genres and complexity of stories is so much larger.
To my knowledge this isn't specific for MH but a very farspread phenomena, isn't it?
Perhaps it's the lack of big names like FMA/Naruto/OP (and perhaps even Bleach :p), so that people who aren't "really" interested into manga don't even bother trying. It's a pity though.

Perhaps it is the extended scope of Seinen in the end. Shonen comes straight to the point, often is "colorful" (even in black and white :p), doesn't have to bother to bring on long introductions, gives easy-to-follow storylines. Anyone can get stuck to that so to say. Seinen in comparison might need a certain amount of curiosity and even patience.

Just throwing in a character like Luffy, Naruto or Ichigo doesn't happen that often in Seinen. These examples from Shonen just appear and are somewhat complete characters right off the bat, are shown a little in whatever their "everyday life" is, a bit about their characteristics, and then start on some great adventure.
In Seinen they usually are introduced differently I think. The intro of Berserk shows Guts in a state of bloodlust and perhaps even madness, it doesn't deliver an explanation for that crazy behaviour. It's something that readers have to experience later. The intro of Vinland Saga barely cares about the protagonist, who isn't that important anyways for a time. It requires a little patience to get to know these characters, probably patience which many readers don't bring for a new manga.

In Shonen people get what they expect, in Seinen it is much harder to expect the right thing of a manga before reading it. People actually don't like surprises, they often are more pleased when they get what they expected anyways. When they see "Oh, it's different?", a good amount just stops reading instead of checking for qualities.
 
Last edited:
Top