Hangout MH Seinen Hangout

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Digopuri was definitely cute. I'll read more. Here's the link to Japan. I'm about half way done, it's really amazing. Everything this Manga Editor has done is manga I've wanted to read for a long time.
 

Houjou

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2007
Messages
1,177
Reaction score
332
Gender
Hidden
Country
Mongolia
Recently, I started reading a manga called Akagi. It has only been translated to chapter 37. I want to cntinue from there by watching the anime. Where should I start to continue where the manga left off.
It's a short anime, I'd suggest you to watch it from the very beginning even if you've read some manga chapters ;)

And that Japan manga looks really great, I'll have to check it out as soon as I can.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hox started a new project a couple of weeks La Croisade des Innocents, chapter two came out yesterday. La Croisade is Furuya's take on the childrens crusade. First two chapters were very good, in more of his mainstream style. Definitely worth reading. Kotonoha also have a new project coming, Gunjo. Looks interesting. I'll read chapter one when it comes out.

I'm coming to the end of a Fujiwara Kaoru marathon. One more series to read, she's already on my favorite mangaka ever list. Technically she writes josei but her work but her work may appeal more to seinen fans than josei. Dark, literary, complicated manga. I highly recommend her, startwith Mukashi no Hanashi.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I'm trusting your guts on Mukashi no Hanashi. So basically it's a volume of short stories?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Right, there are seven thematically related short stories. I ended up spending last week reading all of her scanlated manga. Omae ga Sekai o Kowashitai Nara, the last one I read, was also great. If you like Mukashi give it a try. It's her only one that is a multi-volume story, gets off to a slightly slow start but is magnificent by the end of volume one.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
aw man!!!!!! this is awesome!

somebody picked G Senjou Heaven's Door up!! after... what, eternity??? I'd been waiting for someone to scanlate this manga for YEARS!!! Finally, chapter 14 comes out. you guys should read this. just note that Bakuman came so much later than this manga.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Added to my list. The mangaka is doing Girl Fight now, a pretty good sports series.

Someone else rec'ed that series to me, there on the staff but for the life of me I can't remember who. If they read this board hopefully they'll yell at me and I'll give proper credit.


I'm not linking to it since I don't trust posting sites that pirate non-manga but I highly recommend finding a blog by a gentleman named Midhras. In addition to scanning some very old Tezuka series he has posted a comic by the great French comic artist Moebius. Moebius created hallucinatory mindscapes, the one posted is a textless, intensely surreal piece. His art style is a huge influence on Taiyo Matsumoto, No. 5 in particular. His work is quite hard to get in America, in print but rarely in stores. I highly recommend reading what can be found. Even if you can't follow his plot, I can't always, revel in some of the most amazing comic art ever made, something closer to modern art than other comics.
 
Last edited:

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Thanks for the rec, bb-chan! Adding it to my list, too. :amuse

And just to refresh Kaiten's memory, it was fallacies, one of our DB mods, who also recommended this. ;)
 
Last edited:

Sema

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2009
Messages
172
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Just picked up a series called K-ON! I heard it was seinen so if it isnt seinen you can just delete the post. At first when I started reading it, it was boring to me. I later came back to read it a few weeks later, and now I can't stop reading it. Is there a thread on the forum on this series?
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Ah, I've read that K-on is seinen. I didn't read it though, because I watched some first 3 episodes of the anime, and it's just too passive.

but that's just how some slice-of-life themes are sometimes.

Sema, there's no thread for the manga, so feel free to make one. ^^;
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
Man...what do you guys think about Homunculus...one of the most interesting manga I've read before...never really knew this homunculus theory...so it's an awesome manga...anyone knows about something similar in terms of psychology?...I need something really interesting...


Need to revive thread...so I finished BLAME!...man it was weird and hard to follow at first, but now I'm starting the Noise as well...
Question:does Biomega connect to blame!?...because wiki says there's no connection...is it just a different story with the similar environment?
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Glad you liked them Bene! I love all of Nihei's manga, especially Blame/Noise. There is so much mystery to that weird world he created, so many blanks to fill in. There are connections between Biomega to Blame, they are really only hints and references, what they mean are left up to the reader. Abara and Sidonia no Kishi seem to have some connections too.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Blame! and Biomega are connected in that they exist in the same world, iirc. I think Biomega takes place a century or two before Blame, but on the same Earth. Aside from that, there are Silicon Humans and all that.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
TOA Heavy Industries is in both.


I gave the first chapter of Ruka to Ita Natsu a try. It's a sci-fi series from the early 2000's by the mangaka of Emerging, the first translation came out today. The art is a little dated but the first chapter has enough potential that it's worth reading.
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Heiji says it won't be a long return, 4 or 5 chapters. About a volumes worth, I guess. I never read the original, though I have always meant to (one of many). This might be a good enough reason too start.

I finally gave Desert Punk a try. First two chapters are fantastic. The art is amazing; great detail, great action scenes. And the main character is amazing! I love arrogant, morally challenged main characters.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Genshiken is fun. I watched the anime first, and then read the manga. It's very entertaining because you can totally relate since all of them are otaku.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's one of those series that have been on my list almost as long as I've read manga. I really do need to read it soon. I read the first few chapters in a book store once, definitely very good. I can't recall anyone ever having anything bad to say about it. Then again I've only heard praise for Rorouni Kenshin and Berserk and haven't bothered reading those yet -_-;
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
shame on you for not having read either of those! :yelling maybe if shounen was not your thing not reading RK is understandable. But as a seinen mod and not having read berserk???? preposterous!
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I haven't read Berserk and dropped Gantz after 50 chapters >.>
I'll have to read Berserk soon, just to see what the fuss is about ;)
 
Top