Hangout MH Seinen Hangout

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Miura wasn't exactly an established author when he started Berserk. He had a couple 1-volume series as an artist with Buronson as writer, but other than that, nothing noteworthy.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I agree with that, my comment was not trying to contradict your statement about Miura, more like saying that it's possible for an established author to work only when they want to. I think a guy like Hitoshi Iwaaki can be an example of this.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Well that's the problem then? :XD They establish themselves and they can do things like these long hiatuses. Personally i understand everything about how difficult the job can be, but some authors have it way more easy than others when it comes to breaks and absence form the magazine, Miura is an example. And Gary I think skullknight had some info on this, I dunno where to dig to find how regular Berserk was and for how many years but I think it's there.^^

Doraku, are you a fan of horror's? I find most horror difficult to get into and read them for curiosity sake and probably the art which is in most of them fantastic. Horror is perhaps in manga considered just like in some movies a second rate genre since they say it's quite easy to write one since most tropes are already established an authors are just reusing them.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Yeah, I'm a horror fan in general ^^ It''s pretty difficult for me to post any logical reason why I'd love it as a genre :XD, I guess I just like creepy things, ghosts, mysteries.. and for some reason, Horror manga art style fit for my personal likings.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Yeah, I'm a horror fan in general ^^ It''s pretty difficult for me to post any logical reason why I'd love it as a genre :XD, I guess I just like creepy things, ghosts, mysteries.. and for some reason, Horror manga art style fit for my personal likings.
Yes, but some horror manga generally have guro stuff and maybe that is why generally they are not widely read?

For example Hideout was a great horror without going too deep into some things ... Dragonhead was also nice but it was a bit over the line at times.

Otherwise mystery and horror go well, but we are not looking at scooby doo types of ghosts in horror manga. :p
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Well that's the problem then? :XD They establish themselves and they can do things like these long hiatuses. Personally i understand everything about how difficult the job can be, but some authors have it way more easy than others when it comes to breaks and absence form the magazine, Miura is an example. And Gary I think skullknight had some info on this, I dunno where to dig to find how regular Berserk was and for how many years but I think it's there.^^
What? I wasn't complaining necessarily. I'm past that point as a fan. I was merely stating that Miura's schedule isn't regular for the magazine it's in and that's what people mean when they say his schedule is irregular. Not that it's necessarily unpredictable how much he content he releases in a calendar year.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Yes, but some horror manga generally have guro stuff and maybe that is why generally they are not widely read?

For example Hideout was a great horror without going too deep into some things ... Dragonhead was also nice but it was a bit over the line at times.

Otherwise mystery and horror go well, but we are not looking at scooby doo types of ghosts in horror manga. :p
Ah yes, but I think that's what makes Horror manga.. well, a horror manga. They tend to have overboard creepiness or nonsensical spooky stuff, but I accept it as unique characteristic of horror as a genre. I hope Naoki Urasawa would make a horror manga one day though :p
 

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
2,648
Reaction score
2,176
Gender
Female
Country
Water Tribe
Horror stories, particularly those with "screams and yelling when something pops out of nowhere" dont seem to fit me though I do read some once in a while.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Horror stories, particularly those with "screams and yelling when something pops out of nowhere" dont seem to fit me though I do read some once in a while.
Well the part that lures people out of some horror's is the fact not that they are scary or shocking, but what many classify as "disgusting", so that someone really needs to handle flipping through the pages to actually get the content of the manga. :XD Horror tend to have mutilated body parts as their worst thing, and violence and sex combined, as two of the things that are seen to not just be scary but I guess disgusting as well.
 

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
2,648
Reaction score
2,176
Gender
Female
Country
Water Tribe
Well the part that lures people out of some horror's is the fact not that they are scary or shocking, but what many classify as "disgusting", so that someone really needs to handle flipping through the pages to actually get the content of the manga. :XD Horror tend to have mutilated body parts as their worst thing, and violence and sex combined, as two of the things that are seen to not just be scary but I guess disgusting as well.
These are usually very "disgusting" scenes. No wonder story-writers tend to make it "as bloody as possible". Most people don't handle blood very well I must say, especially in real life. There are those who would faint upon seeing blood. Seems like vampires, monsters, zombies and the like are pretty popular horror characters.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
These are usually very "disgusting" scenes. No wonder story-writers tend to make it "as bloody as possible". Most people don't handle blood very well I must say, especially in real life. There are those who would faint upon seeing blood. Seems like vampires, monsters, zombies and the like are pretty popular horror characters.
Well "demonization" of the characters works pretty well as well. Fantastical creatures in manga, horror seinen ones mostly go for zombies ... the typical monster is just a human that has been made into some kind of demon. Really with these manga the psychological aspect is big, how they are drawn is a big factor, not just what is portrayed in them.
 

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
2,648
Reaction score
2,176
Gender
Female
Country
Water Tribe
Well "demonization" of the characters works pretty well as well. Fantastical creatures in manga, horror seinen ones mostly go for zombies ... the typical monster is just a human that has been made into some kind of demon. Really with these manga the psychological aspect is big, how they are drawn is a big factor, not just what is portrayed in them.
No doubt these characters are popular among horror stories, however they are also been made into cute characters so as to suit the little ones. Thus there are many cute monsters jumping and hoping around in stories for kids and youths. I agree with you on the aspects of the artwork, as in how they are drawn, so as to fit into different market for various types of readers and audiences.

What are the types of genre do you enjoy or prefer the most?
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
No doubt these characters are popular among horror stories, however they are also been made into cute characters so as to suit the little ones. Thus there are many cute monsters jumping and hoping around in stories for kids and youths. I agree with you on the aspects of the artwork, as in how they are drawn, so as to fit into different market for various types of readers and audiences.

What are the types of genre do you enjoy or prefer the most?
I prefer realistic stories for a mature audience, although I quite enjoy the weird comedy sometimes. Mystery is always a plus, as long as the manga keeps me wanting. Romance is one I struggle with due to the idealism in it sometimes, whenever drama, realism and romance clash you got a winner for me.

I prefer satire and parodies as well, lampoons and stuff are always nice, as well as manga that generally provide social commentary.
 

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
2,648
Reaction score
2,176
Gender
Female
Country
Water Tribe
I prefer realistic stories for a mature audience, although I quite enjoy the weird comedy sometimes. Mystery is always a plus, as long as the manga keeps me wanting. Romance is one I struggle with due to the idealism in it sometimes, whenever drama, realism and romance clash you got a winner for me.

I prefer satire and parodies as well, lampoons and stuff are always nice, as well as manga that generally provide social commentary.
In many stories, there will always be some form of fictions, imaginaries or even fantasies, particularly those stories on movies and dramas. However those from books seem to be more realistic and accurate. Pardon my ignorance, I'm not exactly a serious person per se, but I do like good stories, real or fantasies. Parodies, satire, as well as black comedy aren't my type though I have watched a couple of dramas on TV.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
So you're not into comedy Seinen?

I think gag seinen are unparalleled. I mean, where else could you find Saint Young Men or DMC? And you can't write it any other way like, if it were written as a shounen gag manga it wouldn't really work.

Somehow, as in the case of Saint Young Men, I find these types of manga, as real as they can get. Despite the Jesus-Buddha thing and their powers, how real did the mangaka flesh out these characters? it's awesome.
 

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
2,648
Reaction score
2,176
Gender
Female
Country
Water Tribe
Seinen comedy is alright. I do read or watch it though. After all, stories are just stories. :)
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Sorry I don't know how to take the image so here is the link to it : http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...image_z_0?ie=UTF8&n=2250738051&s=digital-text

This is the cover for the 10th issue of Evening featuring "Deathtopia" by Yamada Yoshinobu, nice cover I must say.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Another link for those interested : http://evening.moae.jp/news/1099
Images are put on MH via the
option, but this does not seem like ti can hotlinked or hosted on a different image hosting site.^^

Anyway, I am really looking forward to that manga even more now, any new news surrounding it?
 
Top