Hangout MH Shounen Hangout

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I'd recommend Vinland Saga as well. :) It has some interesting characters and a nice storyline to it (with a revenge theme, though not quite as dark as Berserk, which I see you're reading).

Otherwise, for action shounen series I'd say to go for either Kekkaishi or a classic like Rurouni Kenshin. If you're willing to step a bit out of your comfort zone and try a sports/slice-of-life manga, please give Cross Game a try. It's storytelling at its best. :)
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Otherwise, for action shounen series I'd say to go for either Kekkaishi
How could I forget that one. Yes, Kekkaishi is definitely good but you have to take your time for it. Imo it is not an instant read manga because the story can be more complex than some other generic shounen.

But yeah, Kekkaishi is the shounen that grows on you
 

conn-man

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2007
Messages
1,729
Reaction score
359
Gender
Male
Country
United States
How could I forget that one. Yes, Kekkaishi is definitely good but you have to take your time for it. Imo it is not an instant read manga because the story can be more complex than some other generic shounen.

But yeah, Kekkaishi is the shounen that grows on you
I've been wondering latley to if kekkaishi is good enough to read, what you've said here has convinced me ill like it. Saying that its a more complex shounen, it has some good plot, huh?
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I've been wondering latley to if kekkaishi is good enough to read, what you've said here has convinced me ill like it. Saying that its a more complex shounen, it has some good plot, huh?
Yeah, it starts slow and kinda boring but the stories aren't cheap and easy. The arcs have a story in which you have to keep yourself focused. I wasn't convinced by kekkaishi at first but I gave it a second chance and I am glad that I read (amd reading) it
 

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Yeah, it starts slow and kinda boring but the stories aren't cheap and easy. The arcs have a story in which you have to keep yourself focused. I wasn't convinced by kekkaishi at first but I gave it a second chance and I am glad that I read (amd reading) it
Totally agree with koen here. The early chapters all kind of follow the same formula and in a way that they give you the "wash, rinse, repeat" sort of feeling, but I wouldn't call them bad by any means. I still found them to be entertaining because I really like the characters. The story starts to pick up once a certain older brother character is introduced (around volume 3 or 4, iirc?), but I'd actually give it at least 50 chapters or so before judging. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you give it a shot. :)
 

conn-man

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2007
Messages
1,729
Reaction score
359
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well I started reading kekkaishi like I said a few posts ago and now I'm on ch 102. I love it and recommend it to who ever likes really well thought out plot and characters should read this, it does read a little richer than most but its worth it.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I knew you were going to like it conn-man. It'll become even better ;) I am glad that you have considered reading it and that you like it.

Did you like it from the beginning? Or did you have to struggle yourself through it?
 

conn-man

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2007
Messages
1,729
Reaction score
359
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i've liked all of it, the early chapters were all character development and humor and thats never a bad thing. the highlights of the early chapters for me was the stuff with uro-sama, that was fun, and when shishio came onto the scene.

now the story has gone crazy, but its still organized. all these new groups and characters, im having trouble remembering names of people and places but ill catch on.

yoshimori is definitly my favorite character, and as you can see, madarao. yoshimoris growth has been very good, him and tokine both need a power boost at the stage im at, so im looking forward to that. ill hop onto the kekkaishi thread as soon as im all caught up.
 
Last edited:

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I was thinking of going with a great Shounen-type manga...
From the list in the Shounen section... which should I choose?

- D.Gray Man
- Hitman Reborn
- Fairy Tale
- Psyren
- HunterXHunter


I also heard about Veritas being great....
And I was wondering if anyone had read Vinland Saga...

I'm looking for something that would fit with what I love (see the list I read), but that wouldn't be too much of the same thing again...

Thanks a lot guys!!

PS: By the way, I recommand any of those manga/anime I listed above!
From the 5 on your list I have not read Reborn but concerning the other one. I guess HunterXHunter is a must be at least until the end of the Greed Island saga. After you need to bear the huge number of hiatus Togashi is taking. Fairy Tail is quite enjoyable but not at the same level as One Piece. I found the last arcs quite weak but the new one looks promising. Psyren is ok but I must say I'm not a huge fan of it (and the art is not really impressive). I used to follow D. Gray Man but it's becoming complex and I find there are too much incoherences.

Otherwise, I would recommand Kenichi and Gintama. I found them better than the ones above and Gintama has been some of my biggest laugh in 2010.

A bit of topic wrt to this thread, if you have not read some of Naoki Urasawa works (Monster, 20th century boy...), do it.

And GTO, did you forget it ?
 
Last edited:

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I would agree with k-dom on Fairy Tail and DGM (though I'm still reading it and trying to understand it :XD). Psyren is pretty good, though the pacing can feel off at times, especially the end (but it was inevitable). I thought the art for Psyren was impressive, actually, but I guess it could be a matter of taste.

Kenichi is another good one - also quite realistic in that all the martial arts and moves are really real. Matsuena-sensei does his research, that's for sure :) If you like/enjoy ecchi as well, this would also be right up your alley...

I'd also recommend Nurarihyon no Mago. Under-read manga with great art and a great story. The starting is admittedly slow, but once you get past that, every arc just gets better and better. It's very charming because most of the characters are based on Japanese folklore and it has a sort of mystic feel about it.

If you're looking for a slightly different kind of shounen, I'd recommend Bakuman. (*biased*) :amuse In Bakuman, the pen is truly mightier than the sword! You won't be seeing fistfights or sword duels and whathaveyou that you're probably used to seeing in shounen manga, but they "battle" with drawing manga! :D It's definitely a breath of fresh air~

If you're wondering about length (if it matters in helping you make the choice :XD), Psyren, Mago and Bakuman are all fairly short, so they should be fairly quick reads/catch-ups. DGM and FT would take longer but they aren't that long either. Kenichi is past the 400 mark, so it would take you the longest.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'd recommend -Hitogatana-. Only three chapters have been translated so far, so far it's really good. Great art, great action scenes, great main character, and potential for a great story. Huner x Hunter is obviously classic, not quite One Piece but almost as good. I'm behind on my reading but Mago and Gamaran are also great. The latter is just vicious; no special powers, no fantasy, just brutal fighting and strategy.

I do read Vinland Saga and love it. Very similar to Berserk, without the fantasy settings and less violent. Vinland is not as good but if you like Berserk you'll like Vinland.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Shounen fans: Don't miss the first Mangahelpers Manga Awards! Nominations are open here!
 

Hamy

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2010
Messages
2,091
Reaction score
939
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
A friendly reminder since I've noticed more and more deletes.

For new members, and maybe old members who may have forgotten. There is a "Thanks" button at the area where you can find "edit" and "quote" buttons at the signature area of a post. Now what I want to remind people is that its great to show gratitude and say thanks but rather than posting thanks to a person what you should do is to click the "Thanks" button. Not only will this free up posts that don't really add to the discussion but it also saves your time posting a one liner - which you should generally avoid in the first place.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Ao no Exorcist by Katou Kazue

just for my personal knowledge what is a cursive writing in japanese and why is it hard to read ?
 

l3gitimat3

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2010
Messages
285
Reaction score
26
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Ao no Exorcist by Katou Kazue

i wasnt even aware u could write japanese in cursive
O_e
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
You can write anything in cursive. Basically, it looks... Messy :XD Just like any other kind of cursive writing, the strokes are not as defined, some get combined...

Take a look at this - at the letter in the top left hand corner. That's what Tatsuma's cursive handwriting looks like :) Compare it to this, the Japanese I transcribed off it
前略 奥村燐 私は 坊
In this case it's actually readable, but I've seen cursive Japanese that's really next to impossible to read unless you're used to reading cursive Japanese :sweat (some of the words on the envelope a few pages before the page I linked were not readable)
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Thanks saladesu for the explanation although moving it here make it kinda difficult to find...
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Most people don't really look at the Completed Series Archive but I figured most shounen fans would be fans of FMA (and if you're a shounen fan but haven't read FMA... Shame on you!) and interested in this: The prototype chapter of FMA is out and it's rather interesting to see how FMA transited from a one-shot to a series. Here's the discussion thread :amuse

To continue from my first sentence, FMA is one of my favorite manga ever, one of the best the shounen genre has to offer and truly a masterpiece. I highly encourage anyone who has yet to read it, or who has only watched the first anime (the 2004 one), to read it asap! :super
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
You can write anything in cursive. Basically, it looks... Messy :XD Just like any other kind of cursive writing, the strokes are not as defined, some get combined...

Take a look at this - at the letter in the top left hand corner. That's what Tatsuma's cursive handwriting looks like :) Compare it to this, the Japanese I transcribed off it
前略 奥村燐 私は 坊
In this case it's actually readable, but I've seen cursive Japanese that's really next to impossible to read unless you're used to reading cursive Japanese :sweat (some of the words on the envelope a few pages before the page I linked were not readable)
If anyone wants to know more about Japanese penmanship, I highly recommend Tomehane. Tomehane is about a high school calligraphy club, and besides being a great slice of life manga, does a great job explaining calligraphy. It happens to be one of my favorite series too :D
 

Estranho

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
282
Reaction score
74
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Are there a topic about Ahiru no Sora? (I never get along with this search tool here)
After a long hiatus, a new group is Editing it in a regular pace, would be good to have a place to talk about it.
 
Top