Mihawk discussion | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mihawk discussion

DutchPhoenix

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
i just dont see how a guy with 1 arm, using a sword can be more powerfull the the best swordsman in the world =/

Jatimatic

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Finland
Ahh so you didin't get my point. (you got the Shanks and Mihawk thing yes) but what I meant with the rest: Someone said earlier that would anyone else of the crew defeat a schibuckai, and my point is that yes someone will coz they are taking down stroger and stronger opponents one after another. (Mermen then DF uers, then priests CP9 some with DF's).
Sorry offtopicing here!

I like Mihawk and Shanks both of them rocks. But haven't got anything big about their fighting skills yet, even Zoro vs Mihawk fight didin't show anything about MH skills yet. I excpect to see more of those fighting. But it seems that Shanks and Mihawk are somewhat in peace with each other.
If I remember Mihawk brought first wanted posters of SH vrew for Shanks? If anyone knows that chapter tell me.

Duh, going to learn some more english ->

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Good luck with your english learning (you quite need it :p but it's ok as long as we understand you :D ).
I'll ask in the what chapter/episode thread about which chapter showed shanks meeting mihawk, and mihawk handing him luffy's first bounty.
EDIT: It's chapter 96, according to Imitorar. =D

Last edited:

hollowfied

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Shanks is so ownage that he doesn't need his arms to own ;)

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
lol.. :p he's just wanna showoff with his winnings, so he handicapped himself :p

psolaras

Reaction score
Country
Greece
first of all the powers are equal,that means the marine headquarters are equal with the schichibukai and the yonkou,so:

marine HQ=SCBK=yonkou

it's in the OP grand times stated exactly that way if some people misunderstood garp's words

also in the red databook shanks was stated to be a rival of mihawk

since mihawk said he won't fight an one armed man that means that mihawk had won against shanks even b4 that (b4 shanks went to luffy's village where he stated for a whole year) or else he wouldn't be considered the strongest

and WB stated that the battles between shanks and mihawk were endless so to those that think that mihawk is stronger only because shanks lost his arm do you think that shanks fought endless battles with mihawk and suddenly decided to take a break and hang in luffy's village for AN ENTIRE YEAR??? and after that shanks returned to the GL and mihawk was given the title cause shanks lost his arm??? this isn't WWE and the titles aren't belts,it is oda's way of telling us who is stronger

also only the fact that shanks is a swordsman and mihawk is the strongest swordsman of the world speaks by itself

stop being fanboys,mihawk is stronger than shanks

red databook said:
本来左ききであるシャンクスはかつて、右の腰に長剣を携えていた。 ミホークとライバルだった 過去からみて も、その剣の実力は世界でもトップクラスだったのだろう

"At first, the left-handed Shanks had simply carried his sword on the right side. When he was a rival of Mihawk, he was regarded as having some of the world's top-class skills."
so there's no "shanks is a better fighter but mihawk is a better swordsman",that excuse is ridiculous,shanks is stated to be a swordsman,so he is in the same category with zoro and mihawk,he doesn't have other fighting styles and even if he did they are not stronger than his swordsmanship otherwise he wouldn't be considered a swordsman with world class skills and he wouldn't be a rival of mihawk

*the japanese appear to me as cubes and i pasted them that way in my pc,i don't know if they appear as cubes or as kanji in other members

and quotes from the manga transaled by stephen:
Zeff: He's carrying his weapon on his back!

Cooks: Wha... No way! He destroyed that huge ship with just that one sword?!

Zeff: That's right... The "Hawk-Eyed Man" is a famous master swordsman. He is greater than any other swordsman in the entire world.
and

Shanks: Well, "Hawk-Eyes", you're a welcome visitor. I'm not feeling too good right now... you come for a match?

Mihawk: Hah... I'm not interested in a fight with a one-armed man like yourself. I found some interesting pirates. And they reminded me of something you talked about a long time ago. About a small village... and a funny little kid...
mihawk is stronger than shanks,end of story

also about the SCBK being equal to the yonkou here is the exact text translated from the one piece grand times:

According to the thing, the Government is "paired" up with the Shichibukai and the marines. What that doesn't mean is that the Shichibukai and the marines are working together. It's just the Shichibukai are paying money to the government to get certain "privileges" like, to not be hounded by the government, free reign to do as they please type thing. So the government saves them lots of un-needed trouble.

The "emperors" are their own group, doing as they please and not paying the government and so are the enemy. The Marines as the "good guys"want to stop both groups, but doesn't go after the shichibukai due to being controlled by the government.

But each group, as they are, are the same in power. However if something was to change like the death of a member of a group, that could change things then that group could actually lose their standing and be over taken by one of the other remaining groups!!!!!...
so you can see that the OP grand times clearly destroyed any doubts and mistranslations on garp's words

and if the powers weren't equal then there wouldn't be a balance between them

also the SH are ants against top tiers like shanks,WB and mihawk

WB vs shanks split the sky with a simple clash of unamed attacks so imagine what would happen if they went all out and their best named attacks collided....

while the SH can't even achieve splitting the sky even with their best attacks colliding

when luffy vs lucci collided the impact moved some wooden boxes while shanks vs WB split the sky

so you can see the huge differance in power and level between top tiers like mihawk with the current SH (luffy for example)

Last edited:

mck06

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Panama
Remember that Mihawk was always trying for battle with shanks because he knows that he wasn't the stronger swordsman or fighter but after he lost his arm he reject to find him again.
i think that when shanks was at 100% he was stronger or equal to mihawk.

psolaras

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Remember that Mihawk was always trying for battle with shanks because he knows that he wasn't the stronger swordsman or fighter.
what??? how do you know shanks wasn't always trying to fight mihawk cause he knew he wasn't the stronger?? where did you base that??

also there is a speculation that mihawk was on WB's ship as a cabin boy like shanks was on roger's since WB said he remember hearing the sounds from the battles of the duels between them

so their rivalry could have started from roger crew fighting WB crew

though what Wb said could just mean he heard rumours of shank and mihawk fighting

anyway there is no evidence in what you posted

but after he lost his arm he reject to find him again
here are some quotes from the manga and the blue databook:

info on mihawk from the blue databook said:
Title: Dracule Mihawk

Side title: One of the Kings of the "Shichibukai*" and Strongest Swordsman in the World!!"

Text: The swordsman who carries the title of one of the kings of the Shichibukai. People call him "Hawkeyed Mihawk." He is the man who Zoro continues to chase. He reigns as the strongest and does not refuse anyone who challenges him for that title. Also, he has given Zoro a second chance to fight him despite losing once before.
the part in bold suggest that he accepts every challenge but when a swordsman loses to him he can't challenge him again propably due to the honour code that swordsmen have (like the wounds in the back being a shame etc)

also zoro knew that if he backed off from the fight with mihawk he couldn't fight him again,or else he wouldn't tell mihawk to kill him and instead he would forfeit and challenge him again

from zoro vs mihawk said:
Mihawk: Do you wish to have this go through your heart?
Why do you not pull back?

Zoro: Huh... I dunno...
If I take just one step backwards from here,
I feel like I'll have broken an oath I have taken... A promise I have held up until now.
I would not be able to come back to this place.

- Page 139 -

Mihawk: YES.
THAT WOULD BE DEFEAT.

Zoro: Hehe... Exactly why I can't step back.

Mihawk: Even if you die?

Zoro: I would WELCOME death.
so you can see that zoro knows that rule and even if people think that zoro said that for other reasons that doesn't justify mihawk's answer:"yes and that would be defeat"

so we can see that if a swordsman loses to another swordsman he can't challenge him again

so that is why shanks asked mihawk if he came for a duel,he didn't challenge mihawk cause he couldn't

i think that when shanks was at 100% he was stronger or equal to mihawk
so how was mihawk made the strongest swordsman??? by shanks losing his arm and mihawk disagreeing to fight him?? how could that make mihawk stronger?? if what you said happened then they would be considered equals due to them being rivals and fighting all the time but for mihawk to be considered the best that means he won the fight

and even so if shanks was stronger and mihawk challenged him and then shanks lost his arm and mihawk refused to challenge him again then he wouldn't be ackwnoledged by everyone as the strongest swordsman

shanks back then was really close to mihawk,almost equal,but in the end he lost,all evidence suggests that

that doesn't mean shanks is weak,shanks is a bloody yonkou and a supreme monster that even WB respects as a fighter so shanks fanboys degrade shanks with not accepting his defeat

don't try to make excuses,shanks lost,mihawk is the strongest swordsman in the world and shanks is a swordsman,we don't need to put more thought on this to imagine what happened in the last fight

also as i said b4 shanks stayed in luffy's village for an entire year,do you think he would stop fighting his rival if the fight wasn't decided just to go into a random village?? and he stayed there for AN ENTIRE YEAR

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
First of all, from where did you get all these translated databook stuffs?
And if you go by your states: HQ=Shichibukais=Yonkou. Then I remind you one thing, that there are 4 yonkous against 7 shichibukais, that's almost 1:2 proportion, meaning that te avg. yonkou is almost twice as strong against the avg. shichibukai. Now you can argue wether shanks is avg. yonkou, and mihawk might be the top shichibukai, but fact is, we don't know anything about that.
And if you go by the example of mihawk not wanting to fight shanks since he's handicapped, you can also go from the opposite perspective and say that shanks wasnt afraid to fight mihawk although he's handicapped. I can't see why a person with int. and ranking like shanks will ask for a fight that according to you, he would lose at. That's more like being even over-confident in himself.
And about them being rivals, it can also mean that they were rivals, but no longer (since some reason, like going each to each's way, someone giving up, or w/e).
And I didn't see anything in there that says about shanks being a swordman.. Just that he has some top-class skills with swords. If he aint a swordsman, than it just enhances the gap between him and mihawk.
Me, personally, think that shanks is stronger than mihawk, but not by far.

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Italy
[mod=Luckas]I'm watching carefully this thread and I just deleted a post, which was definitely too much harsh. So guys cool down and talk politely, consider yourself warned.[/mod]

hollowfied

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Hi Can you undelete it? I'll edit + remove the vulgar words?

Plz =(

I am really really tired..and cannot remember what I typed. I remember I had my points though..

=(

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
off topic: umm luckas.. I hope he aint perm banned.. It'll be terrible to lose 2 of our top active guys in the Tree of Knowledge in a week :o (Oh, the horror!).

And by deleting it, you made me now very curious.. :D

@psolaras:
I would like to know where do you get your info from the databooks. It interests me a great deal.

Luckas

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Italy
[mod=Luckas]Banned people made very serious offenses which disrupts the forums and make it a less enjoyable place and the banning isn't sudden and announced. Moderators advises people when their behavior is in contrast with forum rules, explain them which rules they overlooked and invite them to modify their behavior. Moderators consider the banning the last resort, but sometimes it is a necessary means.[/mod]

psolaras

Reaction score
Country
Greece
absolutio

the fact that 4 yonkou are equal with 7 schichibukai doesn't mean that every yonkou is stronger than every schichibukai,it just means that the average yonkou is stronger than the average schichibukai

for example the weaker yonkou would be strongest than the weaker schichibukai

but story wise shanks is the 2nd strongest yonkou and mihawk is stronger than him (even though they are in the same level category which is the highest there is)

also i showed that shanks is weaker than mihawk with proof from the databooks and the manga,shanks was stated to be a swordsman and mihawk is the strongest swordsman so there is nothing to doubt

and just because mihawk is stronger than shanks that doesn't mean that shanks is a loser,shanks is a beast and ther most charesmatic person in OP but that doesn't mean that mihawk has to be weaker just because shanks has more fans

also who said that shanks is handicapped?? he may be an ambidextrous,we don't know if losing his arm affected his power,it's a fiction not reality,oda has to state that shanks got weaker otherwise we don't know

about the databooks,if you look at the threads i made you will see about 5 threads asking for page translations

the only place that the databooks are translated/scanlated is here in MH so believe that you will be the first to know if a databook is scanlated

usually i create theads and ask about characters that interest me so that is how i get trans

also for those trans of the OP grand times and the red databook a friend of mine created countless threads in NF till someone translated a few pages

so don't worry,there isn't any website with trans on databooks,nobody bothers with them

for example the new databook of OP,the yellow databook was a piece of trash,it didn't contain any power stats or info about the gears or asura,the only thing it cleared was that asura was just an attack and zoro's real upgrade was his demon ki

also it stated that zoro's ki was enough to make a person faint so it showed us that zoro is walking the same path that shanks and mihawk walked (though zoro is in the beginning and shanks in the end)

and from the other pages the only worth to mention things was that mihawk's sword was named the black blade yoru and that the WB crew has 16 divisions

all the other info it contained was things we already knew of so that is why no one bothers to translate the databooks,they just translate the important parts that are usually less than 3 pages,the databooks never state things that the manga hasn't stated,they just clears some things up in the best case and repeat things we know of in the 99,9% of their pages

the only worthy databooks are naruto's since they actually contain intersting info and the only thing worthy from bleach's databook was zaraki having his zanpakotou always released like ichigo and that he has the highest spirit or something like that

also the yellow databook stated that zoro and luffy are rivals but it didn't state if they are equal (something that the red databook had stated) all the other info it showed were crap

i hope i helped you

Last edited:

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Well.. after reading a bit in Wikipedia about both characters, I've gotta admit that mihawk might be stronger as an individual than shanks, but I'm still having my doubts.
And we don't really know if shanks is the 2nd strongest yonkou, we only know that WB is the strongest. And also from reading Wiki I learned that mihawk is probably the strongest shichibukai, since the databooks says he's called "the king of shichibukai" or something like that. So it does make sense that he's equal or ever stronger than some of the yonkou (again, as individuals).

And yea, thanks a lot for the databook info. Helped me a lot!

Off topic: Luckas, of course I know that you mods don't ban people at a whim or anything. I'm 100% sure that you had the right reasons to ban them (although I don't quite know them). Am I allowed to ask if those 2 mentioned earlier are permenently banned? I'll understand if I'm not. Thanks again..

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
psolaras, the bits of Databook you quoted did NOT say that Shanks was a swordsman. Read them again. Really carefully. It says Shanks had sword-skills. Not that he was a swordsman. Also, Mihawk said "I wouldn't fight a one armed man". Not "I already beat you". Which implies that the duel ended because Mihawk refused to fight Shanks anymore after Shanks lost his arm. And it said Mihawk would fight anyone who challenged him for the title of "The World's Strongest Swordsman". But if Shanks is not a swordsman, then Mihawk wouldn't accept his challenge. The Databooks themselves said it. He had skills with a sword, but he wasn't a "swordsman". Mr. 1 had sword skills. Kaku had sword skills. They were not "swordsmen". Being a swordsman is a mind-set, an attitude, a lifestyle. Zoro lives by it. Mihawk lives by it. Shanks does not. By your logic, since Whitebeard is weaker then Mihawk, since he also used a sword. But that's not true. Therefore, it is possible for a character to use a sword, but not to be a "swordsman". I honestly think that duel between Mihawk and Shanks was broken off by Mihawk's sense of honor. Who would have won if it finished... nobody knows. So I would say that the two are ROUGHLY equal. Which one is actually that little bit stronger is unknown.

psolaras

Reaction score
Country
Greece
imitorar i can understand your doubts but in the blue databook shanks is stated as a swordsman though i don't have the trans

also even if he wasn't we haven;t seen shanks do anything except hodling/using his sword,he even attacked WB,the strongest man in OP,with his sword and WB doesn't have a sword and he i stronger than mihawk if that is what you implied since i lost you there

you don't attack the strongest man in the world and you don't fight the future strongest swordsman in the world with something that isn't your main style

i agree on what you said that people with swords aren't swordsmen automatically and in the blue databook it sais that mihawk recognised zoro as a swordsman so not all who have skills with the sword live with the swordsman's code of honour

but since it is shanks we are talking about i think there shouldn't be any doubt that he is a top class swordsman,you can't have world class skills with the sword and not be a swordsman cause the level of the top tiers like shanks and mihawk aren't the same with mr.1's

also kaku was a swordsman,he just used his feet too and kaku followed the way of a swordsman,just see how he acted when zoro had beat him

anyway shanks has been stated to be a swordsman so there isn't really any point in arguing to this

and i think that the fact that he was a rival of mihawk and carries a sword implies that he is a world class swordsman

and the last thing that shows that shanks is a swordsman is his fighting aura,when he started walking in WB's ship we saw people fainted by his spirit,later when the databook came out it stated that zoro's demon ki could make a person faint,when zoro stepped in kaku's room kaku said that he felt zoro has become a different man since his spirit was like the spirit of a wild animal

so we can see that the spirit is something common between the swordsmen,i don't know if other people can user their spirit that way but till now only swordsmen have showed that skill

also in the databook it was stated that mihawk fights everybody that challenges him for the title,he doesn't recognise them as swordsman first and then fights them since he recognised zoro as a swordsman in the middle of the fight and especially the end

if you remember he said that east blue is a weak ocean and doubted zoro's skills so he doesn't test the people that challenge him b4 the fight,he fights everyone otherwise if what you claim is true then mihawk wouldn't fight shanks that many times since he coul understand after the first fight that he wasn't a true swordsman

but shanks is stated as a swordsman,he is stated to have world class skills witht the sword and he was stated as a rival of mihawk many years ago,so there is nothing to doubt

also sorry if the post looks or too serious or too harsh but my connection is giving me troubles so i can't use smillies

and i saw this thread by luck and posted here,i am at naruto fan usually so i might not be here to answer any of the next posts

Last edited:

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Well, even if shanks is a swordsman.. We don't know if he has any DF powers (which he might have). So we can't really judge mihawk vs. shanks without proper knowledge of both's skills.

Sorata

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I´m 99% sure that Shanks don´t have a Devil Fruit, first he swim to save Luffy and second he allways said that a pirate is not a pirate if he can´t swim, so i doubt a man with that kind of mentallity would eat a devil fruit, and people stop arguing on who is stronger: Mihawk or Shanks, because they probably will never fight, but one thing we know for sure the both of them are at the same level as WB, tons of speechs in the manga were made by the mangaka to make us realize that, it´s more than obvious that Mihawk isn´t at the same level as the other Shichibukai.

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I never said Mihawk would only fight a swordsman for the title. I said that he would fight anyone for the title, yet he wouldn't fight Shanks. Therefore, Shanks is ineligible for the title due to not being a swordsman. You can use a sword and not be a swordsman. Brook isn't a swordsman. His skills are pretty good. Why can't Shanks have great skill and not be a swordsman? And he may have not fought Shanks because a one armed man can't be a swordsman, but Shanks was before. But then he would have said that he beat Shanks before anyway. And if you say that the Databooks said that Shanks was a swordsman, I wanna see it.