Final Match Mikasa Ackerman vs Holo

Who is the ultimate Waifu?

  • Mikasa Ackerman

  • Holo


The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrySun

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 22, 2014
Messages
3,360
Reaction score
33,646
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
I find it interesting how the Mikasa camp pretends to have some moral highground when it comes to bashing the other contestant, when there's just as much(if not more) coming from their side.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,857
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Being the best soldier in her year? For a first, kind of like what Neji and Sasuke were in their years in Naruto, and what Todoroki is in Boku no Hero Academia. That should account for something, right?
I mean, it does but not a lot. Like that's cool but it doesn't add depth.

What makes mikasa interesting you say? What is mikasa without eren you say? The first thing to consider here is that no one in his right mind even brings up eren in a convo about mikasa... I mean, what the actual fuck?

As for what makes her interesting... Well, imagine you have a tank, a katana and a dragon. And you straight up put those in a mega blender. And from that you extract and concentrate pure unadulterated badass. And that you put in the womb of a woman for 9 months. The baby that is born from that would be mikasa. A being conceived straight out of badass. Just look at how mikasa handles herself when fighting titans. While her peers were pissing their pants at the sight of one she made killing titans look like a crippled child could do it.
So she can fight is what your saying.


------------------------------

And dammit @kkck I'm not talking to you again until you apologize for insulting the world's supply of hot yoga instructors. Insulting their flexibility is insulting justice. Never. Insult. Justice.

 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,708
Reaction score
61,410
Gender
Male
Country
France
What makes mikasa interesting you say? What is mikasa without eren you say? The first thing to consider here is that no one in his right mind even brings up eren in a convo about mikasa... I mean, what the actual fuck?

As for what makes her interesting... Well, imagine you have a tank, a katana and a dragon. And you straight up put those in a mega blender. And from that you extract and concentrate pure unadulterated badass. And that you put in the womb of a woman for 9 months. The baby that is born from that would be mikasa. A being conceived straight out of badass. Just look at how mikasa handles herself when fighting titans. While her peers were pissing their pants at the sight of one she made killing titans look like a crippled child could do it.

What does holo do in turn? Rob an otherwise innocent and presumably decent man? Pee everywhere to mark her territory? Lick her genitals? Just spay the damn bitch so that she calms the fuck down at least.
So, it comes down to fighting ability and badassery. Obviously, Mikasa is superior to Holo there but I personally don't value it this much for this contest and it appears worthless when you need to invent character traits Holo doesn't have at all. Especially after admitting that you only watched 2 episodes or something. The one she "robbed" was anything but innocent. Without the context it's easy to make someone looks bad. I could say "Mikasa killed an adult as a kid" and someone who doesn't know the details could think she is a criminal.
 

Hermit

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
24,727
Age
31
Country
Mozambique
The thread was pretty anti Mikasa until later on in the day, since most of the Holo voters came in with an anti Mikasa disclaimer :noworry
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,857
Reaction score
23,527
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
People ask what Mikasa is without Eren -> People tell -> It's turned against her/It's not important -> Repeat.
Which just goes to show why people were so unimpressed to start with.

I mean, I'm not saying there is nothing there. Kkck was laying the BS on a little thick(a lot thick actually). But Spriggan and Battou brought up honest to god points of interest about her character.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Now the question is how does that measure up against Holo.

A deity displaced by the gradual modernization of society and the passage of time who is scared that time and the mortality of her loved ones will leave her inevitably alone and without a place to belong. Traveling to a home that may no longer even exist. And she hides it with her pride. She's a glutton, alcoholic, and yet very wise. Also prone to throwing out fantastic quotes.

So you can get to know Holo through her own words...

"I am not so grand, not as a god. I am Holo, and Holo is all that I am."

“When a person lies, what is important is not the lie itself. No, it is their reason. Their why.”

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf so you shut up!”

“I know it's difficult to look past my brilliant tail, brain and looks, but I also have excellent ears and eyes.”

“Stop pouting! You learned something valuable. Remember the lesson, not the disappointment.”

“For your information I am quite aware that you have been put through extraordinary distress after extraordinary distress since we began traveling together. However I do hope you'll remember that none of the trouble we experienced was my fault! The first for example, well I guess that was partially my fault.”

“Men are onions. Many layers and all of them make you cry.”

“I have no fear of watching you grow old while I remain young. I'll even watch you on your death bed. I am no stranger to death. But your heart is like that of an innocent child. It has always accepted everything about me, without hesitation. Because of that I am very afraid."

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”
​



That's why I keep telling people to watch Spice & Wolf because to watch that show is to know Holo. And to know Holo is to love Holo. That's who Mikasa is up against here.


 

Potatoe-Titan

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2017
Messages
198
Reaction score
263
Country
Germany
I am really not sure if that is a Pro-Holo post or a Contra-Holo post.. (Jammin)
 

Lambu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2016
Messages
1,618
Reaction score
14,395
Age
29
Country
Spain
@Belserion Its ok, I call this "healthy salt" :kappa
Look, I'll be so honest now that I could pass for a Mikasa supporter at the beggining. Actually this is a response for all the Mikasa supporters (Farfalla, Potatoe, Hardy, etc)

I read all those posts and yeah, Mikasa is not only "EREN!" like many people say or a "killing titan" machine, she has very deep emotions, with high convictions since she was little (when her parents... well, were brutally killed before her eyes) and after Eren "saves" her she feels like the world is beautiful because there exist good people like him, and wants to follow his steps, making sure he doesn't fall in the road and be with him... because she believes in him.
Actually its an amazing story, Mikasa's point of view is not quite portrayed in the manga and the author fixates to Eren's POV way wayy more, to the point that she's like "stagnant" since the first half of the first season (just to give some chronology).

Her persona is great, and she's for sure a very strong woman, there are few characters in AoT that deserved to be loved more than Mikasa (actually she would be the one who most deserve it) but the problem comes with her personality and her goals as a person.
I can feel empathetic with her, I can want her to be happy, but she's more like a broken mirror than someone I would like to be with.

Mikasa Ackerman is an extremely skilled warrior, she doesn't break a sweat when dealing with gigantic man-eating monsters and does it with the necessary coldness for that task. She is portrayed as the soldier, actually she is the one person that represents the soldier mentality out of "The Golden Trio" of AoT (Eren and Armin being the other components).
Mikasa's mindset is one of moral consequencialism, she's decided to do anything that may bring the better results for her and the ones she cares for, there's nothing else that matters because that is her core-believe. Of course she can make exceptions (like that one moment when unconciously doesn't want to kill Reiner when she cuts him) but the author made her become the cold soldier of her series and... did not want to take her out of that.

I guess this is more like the authors fault, but you simply cant deny that her personality and goals are still thin and very simple... so simple that it pains. She's been stuck in that side of her for the whole show and you know why? Because it seems its everything the character has to give.
Look, when I started Aot (3 years ago or so) my favourite character was Mikasa, her story and motivations really touched my heart and, as you all mentioned, she showed charisma and leadership when Eren "died" or realized that suiciding would be an insult to Eren's ideals and to him. Despite all this, her character froze after this and stayed that way, leaving her with a pretty much shallow (yep, shallow) representation in her own story.

She feels less human and progressive than many many secondary characters and thats the authors fault, she is the soldier after all, but she didn't get beyond that, she got stuck in her development and her motivations ended up making her a dull frozen character, which you can theorize a lot about but will remain as that: the devoted companion in a hard life, never existing more to it than in the readers imagination.

And thats why I said that in the first place, that her strongest card in this Waifu Wars was devotion, because out of it there is pretty much nothing in her actual character that stands as notable. There is more, for sure, but is minuscule compared to the trait already mentioned.

Tomorrow I'll explain Holo. We spanish people are lazy and Im no exception (lol)
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,708
Reaction score
61,410
Gender
Male
Country
France
Pro Mikasa..
Reading these threads you are either Pro or Anti Mikasa for some reason. You can't support Holo without hating Mikasa apparently. Even though it is a contest where both are supposed to be compared.
 

Hermit

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
24,727
Age
31
Country
Mozambique
Reading these threads you are either Pro or Anti Mikasa for some reason. You can't support Holo without hating Mikasa apparently. Even though it is a contest where both are supposed to be compared.
Hardly the case, you can support one candidate without bashing the other one, @Gryffindor is pro Holo and he also admitted Mikasa was a great character, why exactly does being on one side mean you have to hate the other? Seems like poor sportsmanship to me honestly, isn't it better to just focus on your side? Let the other camp do what it wants, just do what you can to improve your own side.
 

Dlanor_A.Knox

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2010
Messages
475
Reaction score
335
Gender
Female
Country
Netherlands
This is simple, it's a waifu wars...
I can easily see Holo as a wife, no question there.
But Mikasa... Eh, I just can't imagine her as one. Even with Eren... Nah.

I would have found it more difficult to choose if this was a "best girl" war.
 

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Joined
Jun 13, 2016
Messages
3,149
Reaction score
12,486
Age
31
Gender
Female
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
@Lambu well it must be healthy salt because my blood pressure is fine :p

Your post was great and I absolutely understand where you're coming from in that you think her character has stalled. But like @EmptySoul mentioned her time is coming. Her family is very important to the plot. But that's why we have to focus on what we have now. A flawed character that was forced to grow up too early. Everyday they're forced to make tough decisions, sometimes they don't even have a choice in what they do. The only real choice Mikasa has made is Eren. She chose to love him. To stand with him on the battlefield. She's dedicated herself to that choice even though sometimes it's hard. He's not easy to love as I'm sure we all know. Love, loyalty, trust, friendship are all part of the Devoted package. Those are waifu qualities. But as has been the case here, It's stated and tossed aside as something basic. As if the word was shallow at best. "Oh she's strong that's nice." That's also used as a basic word. But she's strong in character, mentally/emotionally and physically. I know you understand this Lambu because like you said you've defended Mikasa before. Mikasa wants to save the world as she's stated before, the world is cruel but it's also beautiful. With or without Eren she wants to live. Mikasa has shown she's there for the long run. She's risked her life for the people she loves over and over and she will continue to do it. If that's seen as some sort of flaw then fine. If it makes her boring then so be it. She's never pretended to be anything but what she is. There are no games with her and frankly I find that refreshing.

The Holo brigade have spent the day asking for proof of what Mikasa is outside of Eren then dismissing it when they do get proof because it's somehow "not enough". Instead of saying that the thread is turning into a "Mikasa character thread" how about promoting Holo? You've already voted so it baffles me as to why you're trying to be convinced about Mikasa. I would love to know more about Mikasa's opponent. She's a deity, she's fun, she's wise and she has a child with her human husband. That's all I know so far from reading this thread. If Holo is somehow more worthy than Mikasa then I would really love to know how because so far there's nothing imo.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,708
Reaction score
61,410
Gender
Male
Country
France
Hardly the case, you can support one candidate without bashing the other one, @Gryffindor is pro Holo and he also admitted Mikasa was a great character, why exactly does being on one side mean you have to hate the other? Seems like poor sportsmanship to me honestly, isn't it better to just focus on your side? Let the other camp do what it wants, just do what you can to improve your own side.
There is character bashing since the beginning of this event though, I don't see how it's surprising to see it here as well. Supporting one doesn't necessarily mean that you hate the other. But it's not like characters were universally liked. Saying that people are just Anti Mikasa even when several posters made direct comparisons is what I find weirder.
 

Hermit

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 9, 2016
Messages
6,560
Reaction score
24,727
Age
31
Country
Mozambique
There is character bashing since the beginning of this event though, I don't see how it's surprising to see it here as well. Supporting one doesn't necessarily mean that you hate the other. But it's not like characters were universally liked. Saying that people are just Anti Mikasa even when several posters made direct comparisons is what I find weirder.
So basically....
 

Seraph

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 26, 2017
Messages
3,374
Reaction score
9,907
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
Finland
Weeewww those Wars don't disappoint when it comes to Salt and the Like gotta admit first time for me since i joined and i was surprised at seeing all this here,this really has driven far off from the Original Point of the Event which was the "Fun" in pitting your Waifu against someone else's and not some kind of Character Analysis Debattes or just bashing on the "Trashy" Choice because you don't like it,not sure if some People even know both Characters here i can admit i dont know Holo either but then again i never downplayed her in any of my Posts at all,and yeah while i did say its not a Character Analysis Thread i did make some Posts that actually have Analytical Aspects but that was just to make my own Points about her clearer if anything since that's kind of my Style :XD
Not saying that its justified for me now but still that wasn't the Point and i admit to have taken Part in it and feel kind of bad about it myself.:hi

After seeing certain Posts and especially certain Statements i can really just say One Thing::teach
Vote for whoever you like the Most and keep yourself from just Taking a **** on the Other Side's Character since that isn't like i said the Point of this Event at all,yeah i know this has been like that from the First Round and all but still a bit of Respect for each other should be possible i think.
There is no "Anti Mikasa" or "Anti Holo" here its just a Thread about 2 Sides presenting their Favorite Waifu for this "Grand" Finale which so far hasn't been really enjoyable for me at least and that just at certain Points just to be clear.:hip
If you support Mikasa then its a given that you are "Anti Holo" basically so i don't see the need to Point this out here at all.
You don't need to hate the Opposing Character at all as @Emperor Spriggan mentioned before with an Example even,to which i totally agree honestly.
You can like Both(If you know Both) but if you have trouble deciding or actually like the other more then just go and Flip a Coin to make it easier on yourself.
Should be easy enough i think,i had my Troubles with Mikasa vs Rindou as well but after reading certain Posts from Bel and her supporters i changed "Sides" so to speak and i really don't see what's wrong with that People's Differing Opinions is what makes Events like this one Fun IMO. if they stay in a certain "Field" that is of course.:teach
That being said i'll probably make at least 2 Posts for Mikasa here without tapping into the "Holo Waters" or anything the like don't worry.:derp
To Finish this Post here have this:
#VoteMikasaAckerman
And this here:
NOTE:Just my Personal Opinion to all this.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top