Shounen Monster Hunter Orage by Hiro Mashima

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
I read it, since Binktopia released it.

For a videogame manga it's actually not completely awful.
Hiro Mashima's usual likeable traits are very present. But it really is a heckuva lot like Fairy Tail, isn't it?
I certainly agree: this is like fairy tail goes monsters (after a ongoing mage manga)

but somehow I like monster themes a bit more than the mage theme of fairy tail. But yeah only 1 chapter came out and we can't yet know if this will be a complete or partial copycat
 

Misury

Intl Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
262
Reaction score
29
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
Switzerland
I like the drawings a lot, I have never been a fan of Fairy Tale or anything else of Mashima Hiro, but I love his style! Really! And it was so much fun to read!
Somehow it reminded me of Naruto, with all these bond-things and deaths, and the Wind-Element whatsoever, but nevertheless both are still unique.

The monster's thing didn't convince me at all. Kinda boring, if you're fighting monsters of different levels, and there are even rules.. blah. However.. I guess I'll go on reading it for a while.
 

DarkOblivion

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 30, 2006
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently started playing MHFreedom2 a few weeks ago, so the timing of this couldn't be better. But Dual Swords? They suck...

Has Mashima finished with Fairy Tail? Because if not then I imagine 2 mangas to draw every week/every couple of weeks must be exhausting.
 

Boz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 25, 2008
Messages
30
Reaction score
24
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Reminds me of a cracky mix of a D&D-esque MMO and One Piece. The art's not excellent, but it gets the job done. There's a kind of fresh honesty to the storytelling style I really like (I know, I know, it's shounen), but it'll be in danger of turning tedious unless the character interaction really stands out.
 

CupofDice

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
505
Reaction score
454
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Has Mashima finished with Fairy Tail? Because if not then I imagine 2 mangas to draw every week/every couple of weeks must be exhausting.

Oh Great use to write Air Gear, and Tenjho Tenge weekly (at least I think both were weekly back then), though now Tenge is monthly (at least I am pretty sure it's monthly):D, and it didn't hurt neither of his convoluted (but awesome) stories. As long as it doesn't hurt Fairy Tail's story, and it doesn't seem like it will since MHO is more simple, then Mashima can handle it.
 

shrimpy

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2007
Messages
1,118
Reaction score
1,447
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
dual swords don't suck! mega juice + DS charge attack = pwn'd
especially if you use dragon elm swords on the raths!
 

mrpagercao

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 5, 2007
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've recently started playing MHFreedom2 a few weeks ago, so the timing of this couldn't be better. But Dual Swords? They suck...

Has Mashima finished with Fairy Tail? Because if not then I imagine 2 mangas to draw every week/every couple of weeks must be exhausting.
search up japans supposed strongest samurai in its history...look at what he wields...yes two handed style...

oh and that is just the life of a mangaka for you
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Just looked into the third chapter and damned I love this a lot. It's prolly got to do with the weapon/character design + the monster setting. These first three chapters give me a better feeling thatn fairy tail but as I said it's because of the monsters

sadly this isn't weekly, but then again a long chapter/month is enjoyable too. I hope this will continue for a while
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well chapter three was great. Lots of action, comedy, a little fan service, a new teammate, and a new villain with an unknown grudge against Shiki (what it is I have no idea). Upcoming chapters should be great though. My only problem is I don't like Shiki's new weapon design as much as the first one, it's still cool though.

One major disappointment though, is apparently there won't be a chapter next month :scry, or is Rival not a monthly magazine? Either way if I understand correctly no new Monster Hunter until August.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
One major disappointment though, is apparently there won't be a chapter next month :scry, or is Rival not a monthly magazine? Either way if I understand correctly no new Monster Hunter until August.
Are you sure, because translation says: "TO BE CONTINUED IN AUGUST ISSUE (7/4 (fri) ON SALE)!!"

So that gives us two possibilties:
1. The translator made a a mistake and it's to be sold in august which I highly doubt.
2. The translator didn't make a mistake and august issue is to be bought in july, which means there's no hiatus

edit: I checked and chapter 3 appeared in july issue :D so good news
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Chapter 3 was good and had nice famservice, but it's enough with that flashbacks. I don't want another party member... And why does the enemy look exactly like the last villain in Fairy Tail. And the main heroes could look a little bit different from Fairy Tail... Mashima must have a fetisch for mini skirts and girls with perfect bodies.^^
 

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
6,761
Reaction score
907
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Lol, yeah, it's the 2nd possibility koenosaki, just to make sure. :p

Woo! Shiki's new weapon looks awesome, can't wait to see what kind of new powers it has. And Sakuya's weapon looks cool as well, as primitive as it looks.

The new guy looks interesting, I would think he is the main anatagonist of the series, unless the Prince is. But his whip weapon is pwnage. Absolute pwnage.
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Are you sure, because translation says: "TO BE CONTINUED IN AUGUST ISSUE (7/4 (fri) ON SALE)!!"

So that gives us two possibilties:
1. The translator made a a mistake and it's to be sold in august which I highly doubt.
2. The translator didn't make a mistake and august issue is to be bought in july, which means there's no hiatus

edit: I checked and chapter 3 appeared in july issue :D so good news
Ah, that makes sense. I completely forgot about the fact that magazines generally come the month before the supposed month they are. Phew, that's good news then.
 

bigtymer32

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
704
Reaction score
18
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
i love this series i never played the game but i love the drawing and the story is pretty cool.i wish it was weekly but having it monthly aint too bad since the chapters are extra long :)i hope it lasts for awhile
 

EL_manana

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2008
Messages
177
Reaction score
15
Gender
Female
Country
Russian Federation
Wow. I am so glad I've found this thread. I didn't know that Hiro is creating another manga. I love his style pretty much. I just don't get bored from it at all. I've enjoyed half of Rave manga and am totally into Fairy Tail. All of his projects are quite the same and are kinda simple, but they are still fun. He is using a lot of cliche but they still turn out stylish and exciting in his mangas.
I've read 4 chapters today and was impressed that the story is developing so fast. There are already three members in the team, minor rival and mysterious evil person. Well, perhaps it's because MHO is a monthly series. Looks like Irie has more secrets. At least I hope so. I liked Elie character in Rave manga because of her past story- it was kinda shocking. I would like to see something great. That scientist-guy was fun- it's a pity he disappeared so soon. So that Prince will go take the entrance exams...i wonder if it will be shown to us. Like a chapter dedicated to him. Nice. I don't like him though. And it feels like he won't be a bad guy in the future.
 

Horsee

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
102
Reaction score
62
Gender
Male
Country
Hungary
The first tankōbon came out. Anyone knows how many chapters are in this? I think 3, but I'm not sure.
Here the cover from amazon.co.jp:
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
:o, the volume itself, the monster behind him looks so great if you ask me...

I really love this manga a lot and I hope there'll be many good chapters on their way :D
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
i read it, it's good. As good as many shounens. There are really a lot of choice. The main character is great (all that "master" yelling is funny). Now, I won't read that manga for 2 reasons:

- rave, fairy tail, ... always the same style and the author is not as his best in this manga.
- No originality


I really have a problem with that new generation of mangas ... Double arts is for me the only one apart from others. All others are very good but where is the originality ?
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
What kind of originiality do you want in a Monster Hunter Manga? He has his setting, in which he can do what he wants. It's definitly more exciting, than the real game(even if it's fun and good).^^ It's his kind of humor and style for his characters. What is there to change to be better? Flatchestet lolis?
 
Top