Music in the past decade? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Music in the past decade?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I was reading an article about music in the past decade and upon closer inspection I realized the article was not all that off. The article talked about how music in the past decade was basically recycled stuff from the one before it. There was not a single original thing in it. Its like there is a hole in the history of music. Quite frankly I was disappointed at the realization that there was not a single vaguely original music style in the past decade, everything supposedly new had already been done before. What do you all think?

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Moved your thread over here ^^

Do you have a link to this article? Sounds like an interesting read. I find listening to a lot of 'popular' music these days to be quite disappointing. So much of it is overproduced, unoriginal, and just plain boring, but I like to think there are still some groundbreaking artists that are doing new and experimental things. It's just harder to find than the typical commercial, mainstream stuff.

Imperium

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Nothings changed. Just peoples perspectives have. With the advent of the internet and portable media, people have been listening to more music and a wider variety of stuff. More artists get exposure and more stuff comes out, where before most people were essentially limited to what was fed to them by record companies through tv or radio, or the few local acts that toured around. Now with the click of a few buttons people can listen to anything. Whether its the good, the bad, or the downright unoriginal, everything is overexposed and everything is available. So its not that music itself has become unoriginal or rubbish, is just that there is more of it.

About new genres specifically, nothing is ever original. Its all an evolution of previous works. Here in Britain the two biggest new genres are Grime and Dubstep , both were created in the 2000's. Both are evolved and more localised forms of other major genres (hip hop & drum and bass) but they're unique in their own right. If you look at it and compare it to their influences of course they sound similar but they are also original in their own right. What im basically trying to say is that stuff never sounds original if you can trace its roots and influences and this has never changed.

Personally i think some absolutely epic stuff has come out this, from In rainbows and Dear science to the Gorillaz and Gnarls Barkley its been an awesome decade.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I wouldn't consider neither grime or dubstep something different from or let along an evolution of hip hop or whatnot. That's called recycling (world would be a significantly better place if we recycled garbage and not music lol). Over the decades before the 2000s there were always new things every now and then though. I mean, what about jazz, the beatles, rock and all that stuff? I would think those were pretty original and new at some point.

http://www.songfacts.com/blog/writing/the_2000s_was_the_worst_decade_for_music_ever_/

that was the article I read although I started reading on the topic in general after I had a conversation about this with my friends. Personally, I blame MTV for making people stupid. MTV started out good all the way back to the 90s however at some point it seemed to just make a point of reducing the IQ of the population in general with recycled music and god awful reality shows.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I don't realy see what kind of new format could be added anyways. The 20th century had some kind of detonation of styles, suddenly a lot of new stuff came up, and I'ld say this happened for two reasons:
-New media allowing to transport music everywhere: Increased exchange between artists, a lot of new inspiration for others
-Wealth and culture (a lot due to the new media in latter case) made music very popular for everyone, a lot of bands came into existence, short tracks of not much more than three or four minutes replaced the old, complex music, a lot of experiments with different musical instruments were made and exchanged by media. Also, new technology (electronic instruments or, later, purely electronic sounds)
As the century ended, there just wasn't any "big thing" left to discover, all the huge discoveries have been made already.

However, I think there was a big developement in the last decade. International stars became less important than ever, music is more and more individual. Existing styles varified and spread into countless new substyles, some bands and musicians effectively create a new genre with every new album they create.

And thus my opinion is that it's a very individual decision how to rate the latest decade in terms of music. Some people might've found a lot of new niche music which they love, whiler others miss great overall developements (which, I think, won't really happen any time soon - if ever again at all).
For me it was a great decade. I don't miss the big names and found many likeable subgenres, bands and DJs.

Last edited:

Queenofmuffins

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Moved your thread over here ^^

Do you have a link to this article? Sounds like an interesting read. I find listening to a lot of 'popular' music these days to be quite disappointing. So much of it is overproduced, unoriginal, and just plain boring, but I like to think there are still some groundbreaking artists that are doing new and experimental things. It's just harder to find than the typical commercial, mainstream stuff.
Same here. I stopped listening to the radio a few years back- couldn't stand listening to the "popular" music anymore. Even though I am quite young (born early 90's) I prefer to listen to music from the 70's and 80's over the newest thing from Pussycat Dolls or whoever.

I find music from the older generations sound more "human". I think new music these days are just going to get more and more digitalized... eventually we'll probably have songs sung by robots. XD

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I don't think the digitalization is in itself a bad thing, the issue is that it is all the same over and over. I swear to God I can't stand that damn bass drum beat anymore..... It even seems to be the same tempo in all songs... And I swear to god, someday our grandchildren will hear the 80000000000000000000th remix of "you spin my head round"(or whatever it was originally called, you know what I am talking about) and simply grab a gun and blow their brains out. Seriously, can't people give the song a break?

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Bad music always existed -ok, not as much as these days as it became easier to contribute even the worst kind of music all over the world-, but there always was music which some people didn't like.
So, it's more important to focus on the bright sides, the good music, high quality and the individual style :)

It's just a bit more complex. The old days, there was music which most people could like. These days it's all more seperated and everyone has to find the right music himself, just looking at who's famous won't work anymore.
For those who invest that time or just are lucky to find the right genre/environment of musicians, it's better than ever I think.
For those who do not have that time or just didn't find their niche so far, it's probably frustrating.

I don't think it's surprising that the mainstream taste is somewhat generic, boring and low on innovation to most people. Just another reason to search for personal favorites amongst the incredible number of choices.

By the way: This homepage here, http://zoom.it/ , has a great image featuring a huuuuuge amount of known artists. If you see the example imagines, check out the fourth one from the bottom and zoom. The colours as well as positions and links referr to genres/styles and every bubble contains an artist. It's very detailled.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am not saying there is not any more good music nowadays altogether though. Some new musicians are actually fairly decent but the issue is something else. The problem is that those new musicians are doing stuff that has already been done, music is getting to a point where it is stale and repetitive. I don't think there simply can't be any new sounds or stiles either.....

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I am not saying there is not any more good music nowadays altogether though. Some new musicians are actually fairly decent but the issue is something else. The problem is that those new musicians are doing stuff that has already been done, music is getting to a point where it is stale and repetitive. I don't think there simply can't be any new sounds or stiles either.....
Probably most of that developement is in the electronic genres which have pretty much infinite possibilities. Obviously the choice of instruments and styles is limited in the end, no surprise there aren't any big evolutions anymore.

After all many electronic genres appeared, like dubstep, post-dubstep, grime, aquacrunk/wonky and another dozen subgenres.

Last edited:

Barclay

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
It is the fact which i agreed upon that the music of last decade was the copy of its previous decade and so on,and i like only the old and meaningful songs.

Lonewolf187

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
This decade is the decade where everyone wants to be deftones metal wise or rapper wise fucking migos :/