Discussion - Names your parents almost gave you | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Names your parents almost gave you

Crude

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I'm sure that a lot of you guys' parents considered giving you certain names before settling on the names you have now. What were those names? Would you prefer any of them over the name you have now?

As for me, my father wanted to name me Luciano :s. Not a bad name, though not very contemporary either. Maybe if I was Italian (sounds more Italian than Portuguese). My mother wanted to call me Sebastian :D. A friend of mine actually thinks that would be a cool name, reminds him of a certain butler. I personally think it's a little old fashioned. She also considered calling me Dylan or Brandon, which are alright I guess. I like my name and wouldn't dare change it :).

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting idea for a thread. ^^

My parents said they almost named me Rachel, which is a pretty decent name, I think. I don't know if it fits me more than my actual name or not, though I think Tiffany is usually thought of as kind of a bimbo/hot girl sort of name.... not me at all :sweat

But either of those are waaaaaaay better than what my grandma wanted my parents to name me: Penny Sue. :s Thank god they hated it too. :XD

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I'm a Jr., but my parents wanted to take my Father's first and middle name and reverse it. They wanted to name me Wayne, but decided at the last minute to make me a Jr.

Which has led to years of confusion and me being called "Gary Junior", just "Junior" or the always comical "Little Gary" :fail

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Well, I am the fourth person in my family to carry my name, I guess that was the biggest factor for it. Hopefully There will be a fifth little dude with my name, I would hate to break the tradition.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
XD Ingrid. My dad picked my name, if my mom could chose it, it would be Ingrid. Makes me think of Jon Snow a bit O:
If I was a guy, my name would be Leandro (Le'andro, I'd be the man! So badass... I want my beard!)
Wow, Ingrid's boring:XD...not latin at all...though Leandro does sound badass

The first choice for me was Andrew(Andras in hungarian), which was my grandpas name, and is my dad's name...also I think, I'm not sure, but in case I would've ended up as a girl, my name would've been Helen/Helena(which in hungarian would be Ilona)...and that because of my aunt...

But thank God my mom woke up in the last hour and gave me something original:p

UberLolo:derp
...it's Lorant actually:p

kdowns

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Wow, Ingrid's boring:XD...not latin at all...though Leandro does sound badass

The first choice for me was Andrew(Andras in hungarian), which was my grandpas name, and is my dad's name...also I think, I'm not sure, but in case I would've ended up as a girl, my name would've been Helen/Helena(which in hungarian would be Ilona)...and that because of my aunt...

But thank God my mom woke up in the last hour and gave me something original:p

UberLolo:derp
...it's Lorant actually:p

.... My mom's name is Ilona o.o

Naomi

MH's Most Beautiful Member
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
My mom wanted to name me Corey if I was a guy, and so I'm really pleased that I didn't turn out to be a guy. I like the name Corey for girls, but think it's bad for a boy.

My dad really wanted to name me Jacquelyn, which would have been awesome since my last name is almost the exact same spelling. I also think the name Jacquelyn suits me better, and I don't like the name Hillary at all. Never have. My mom got her way though. :p I was named after an Olympic skier.

Netero

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
My mom wanted to name me Chase or Damian lol.

sarganos

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Israel
I was nearly named Shachror for some odd way it came to their mind :-_-

Cotaku

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
My folks were stuck between Courtney and Nicole. My older sister liked Nicole better, but they ended up choosing Courtney.
Good thing, too. I like my name. :D

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Barakah. Yup, same name the U.S. President has, but with a feminine "a" at the end. :derp My dad was reeeeaallly feeling it, but the rest of my family thought it was too intense. :XD

My dad still defends the name because at the time he was going through a period of religious exploration, and the name held a special meaning for him. I think it's a nice name, but its more suited for a tsundere, given its alternative meaning.

@igotthegoods -- Penny Sue just cracks me up. Its so retro I can even see hipsters bringing it back in fashion! :lmao

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Kennedy Muslim. Up until now, I don't know why they wanted to give me such perplexing name. Fortunately, my Grandpa told my father that I would be bullied if I was given that name. But the replacement ( my name right now) is quite unique also, so yeah maybe my parents want me to have weird name. Easy to be remembered.

Adorien

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
My parents weren't gonna give me a different name, my mom chose the one I have. But if I was a boy, they'd name me Simeon. Which is funny, because that's my boyfriend's name. xD And to still be a bit on topic, they almost gave my brother the name Mihaela, because they thought it was gonna be a girl. :teehee

Crude

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
My father almost named my sister Mafalda which is pretty old-fashioned. All I know is she's glad that isn't her name xD. My mother on the other hand wanted to name her Cassandra which I think would be a better name for her rather than the one she's got now.

there76

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Aron (that exact spelling), but I got stuck with a foreign name. :P It is my middle name though.

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
Reaction score
Country
United States
My mother wanted to name me Rhiannon (after the Stevie Nicks song) and my dad was okay with it, but they ended up going with Katherine (a character from a romance novel. Is it any wonder that I now love romance novels??)