Shoujo Nana by Ai Yazawa

FacetiousTurtle

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 27, 2006
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Re: Nana Discussion

This manga was pretty cool at the very beginning but by around volume 10 or so it started going in circles. While I don't mind the whole roller coaster thing that people talk about, by the 5200th hill it got really boring. I got as far as the
point where Hachi gets married or something close to it to the one guy from that other band and then while he's off womanizing elsewhere.. blah blah blah..
and then I gave up. It was all of the chapters that were out at the time and I was actually pretty glad that's all that there was since that manga was just painful to read. It should've wrapped up somehow in 12~14 volumes but now it's so ridiculously open ended that I just don't see myself following it.

The Nana movie was pretty good, but only if you've read the manga and know what's going on -- I don't see anyone who hasn't read the manga watching the movie and knowing what's really going on :p.

Also, the song Tracking Treasure Down by Gabriel and Dresden (I... think?) for some reason always makes me think of the Nana manga. I don't know why ~_~
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana Discussion

Well for someone who's been reading the manga up to the current release, the movie for me was definitely a very exact adaptation, up to the finest details of their clothes. It's nice to hear that point of view though.

@Siedhr, yes, the story kind of jumps from past to present, that actually, the one we're reading is the past that slowly explains the surprise jumps of the present. (did i make sense?)

Even for online reading though (or reading off Edited Mangas), the progress is quite slow. It's about one chapter per month and that really bums me because the latest chapters (of Vol 17) are really cliff hangers and I can't sleep thinking about the character developments, especially now that the present is unravelling.
 

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,423
Reaction score
1,786
Age
119
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Re: Nana Discussion

I share the same sentiments! Nana is truely a roller coaster ride - very drama like.
It is so good that it affects your emotions without realising it, and I kind of went into minor depression for a while. The relationships depicted here is just too realistic, that sometimes when you read manga, you don't want to see such things. But I guess we can also choose what we want to read.

Anyway, the current Edited Mangas for this is up to Chapter 64 (which is around Vol 16). Check this website <a href="http://destined.to/takoyakis"> takoyakis </a> for more info. :)
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana Discussion

Nana is up to chapter 65. Just released. ^_^
 

bakashijinsan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2006
Messages
1,660
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana Discussion

I'd have to agree with some of the people here saying that Nana's been going on in circles. True, it's quite good but then, after I've read the late volumes (10 and up), I got tired of Hachi's character. I love following Blast's success. I believe that's one of the main reasons, I got up to Volume 12. I wanted to see what happens to the band.

Is it a guy thing that makes me annoyed at how Hachi led her life? Coming to Tokyo and all and then ending up like that? Coz this made me stop reading. I just finished it up to Volume 12 just for the sake of finishing the Volumes that I downloaded.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana Discussion

Come to think of it, Hachi was a very stupid character at the start of the story. And it's not just you who got annoyed with her, even the characters in the story (Junko, for one) got annoyed with her whimsical attitude. But in the later volumes, (later than vol.12 I think) she does develop a sense of self.

She matures when the reality of having a baby sets in, and sticking to her decision about Takumi. At the later parts she's actually trying really hard to be strong for everybody.

Put the spoiler tag for you. I'll PM you on how to do it ;) ~ Ayah
 

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,423
Reaction score
1,786
Age
119
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Re: Nana Discussion

Yes, I agree too. I thought the character development was quite well done.
Hachi can even accept Takumi's womanising ways...i really 'surrender' to that kind of mentality protrayed there. But then, this also happens to some of us.. :darn
I'm just waiting to see how the story will end, super curious as to who she'll end up with.
 

bakashijinsan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2006
Messages
1,660
Reaction score
9
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana Discussion

So you're saying she won't be sticking out with Takumi? I thought she had already made her decision firm? If that's how it goes

I'm thinking

It's a full circle trip to going back to Nobu. Provided you're saying that the story suggests now that Hachi is somewhat thinking on who to choose because I haven't read the later volumes
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana Discussion

Nah. I think it's decided.

she's going to end up with Takumi. If not, it would be such a disappointment. The point was seeing Takumi change.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Nana Discussion

I guess I'll have to settle with the Nana Edited Mangas eventually. It's really ridiculous how long we have to wait for the next Nana volumes om America ( but I guess it's because they're serializing it in Shojo Beat. )

I don't mind if it's going in circles, just as long as the dialogue and situations are still realistic. I mean, it's to be expected with a manga like this anyway, if it wants to keep going, they have to keep the characters from finishing their stories and wait 'til they're just tired of writing/drawing it any further and decide to end it with satisfying endings.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana Discussion

[br]Posted on: January 24, 2007, 10:54:29 AM_________________________________________________
Gold Knight said:
I don't mind if it's going in circles, just as long as the dialogue and situations are still realistic. I mean, it's to be expected with a manga like this anyway, if it wants to keep going, they have to keep the characters from finishing their stories and wait 'til they're just tired of writing/drawing it any further and decide to end it with satisfying endings.
Though I'm not sure if that applies to this author, Yazawa Ai. She also authored Paradise Kiss, and that one finished in 5 volumes.
 

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,423
Reaction score
1,786
Age
119
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Re: Nana Discussion

Hmm....i kind of have confidence that Ai Yazawa will finish what she started, no matter how dramatic her stories go, her ending will leave u satisfied (Gokinjo Monogatari) make you upset (like Paradise Kiss). I read somewhere (dont ask me where, cos I can't remember) that this will end at around Vol 20, which is Chapter 77. Apparantly the number 7 plays a lot of importance in NANA.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana Discussion

3 volumes to go then...
 

deceptivesmirk

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 3, 2007
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Re: Nana Discussion

I think I'll pass on Nana.

The one reason I read shoujo is to cheer me up after a long, hard day of classes, or some particular emotional turmoil. It's like an escape, you know? I have enough of my own problems - I don't need to add on those of fictional characters.

Perhaps I sound shallow, but I like my waff and fluff, and I'm not afraid to admit it. ;P Angst just ain't my thing.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,275
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Nana Discussion

Nana actually makes me laugh, a LOT.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana Discussion

yeah me too. It's not too sad, if you really think about it.
 

Dark_Kirby

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 21, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
Australia
Re: Nana Discussion

Hi guys!

I'm sorry... you might get this all the time but I have some NANA questions that I', REALLY confused about:

1) Is NANA still serialised in Cookie? Because I have March 3rd 2007 Cookie, and Wikipedia said it has been serialised in Cookie since 1999. It wasn't in there!

2) Where can I get NANA weekly Chapter downloads?

Again, sorry for the questions... please answer... it would be great!
 

theshizzle

Banned
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2006
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Age
117
Gender
Male
Country
Orkney Islands
Re: Nana Discussion

yeah for real, i know!!!
 
Last edited:

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,423
Reaction score
1,786
Age
119
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Re: Nana Discussion

Hi guys!

1) Is NANA still serialised in Cookie? Because I have March 3rd 2007 Cookie, and Wikipedia said it has been serialised in Cookie since 1999. It wasn't in there!

2) Where can I get NANA weekly Chapter downloads?

Again, sorry for the questions... please answer... it would be great!

Hi Dark Kirky,

NANA is a monthly series, you can try checking the 1st post of this thread to find the possible areas for download.
As for the Mar Cookie, I'm not sure, maybe there's a 'break' for this series & it will resume in the April issue? Hopefully someone else can confirmed on that. :)
 

moon212

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 19, 2007
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Nana Discussion

Hi Dark Kirky,

NANA is a monthly series, you can try checking the 1st post of this thread to find the possible areas for download.
As for the Mar Cookie, I'm not sure, maybe there's a 'break' for this series & it will resume in the April issue? Hopefully someone else can confirmed on that. :)
Nana is at vol17.Have anyone read it, what do you think about it.And here is the link for the summary http://tatsukida.pitas.com for chapter 66. Enjoy:)
 
Last edited:
Top