- Joined
- Feb 26, 2009
- Messages
- 20
- Reaction score
- 5
- Age
- 40
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
Re: Nana Hangout Thread
@Smoking-- Also let's keep in mind that smoking in general is very common in Japan (and the rest of Asia). I highly doubt tobacco companies make most of their profits in the US these days. Having so many characters smoking would be a pretty fair representation even if it weren't the "rock scene."
@Body Style-- Oddly, the word "Style" スタイル in Japanese means figure. Generally speaking, a girl with good "style" means a girl with a shapely figure, and a guy with good "style" is the more muscular sporty type. Aesthetically speaking though, it's a fact that Japanese women don't have the same view on muscular men as American women-- it's just not something in demand in the same way.
. . . just like it Japanese men (or women) don't seem to care about straight teeth. While I think there will always be a part of the human genome that attracts women to powerful looking men, if I think of the word "ikemin" (good looking guy), you definitely mean the kind of pretty fashionable guy.
The Japanese (at least in the cities) love Fashion, and one thing I kept hearing female American students while I was studying abroad in Japan was that they noted how much better Japanese men dress in general compared to American men. To a large degree it is cultural and I do think it also stems from a difference of taste between American and Japanese women (and again this probably comes down to some cultural difference).
@Smoking-- Also let's keep in mind that smoking in general is very common in Japan (and the rest of Asia). I highly doubt tobacco companies make most of their profits in the US these days. Having so many characters smoking would be a pretty fair representation even if it weren't the "rock scene."
@Body Style-- Oddly, the word "Style" スタイル in Japanese means figure. Generally speaking, a girl with good "style" means a girl with a shapely figure, and a guy with good "style" is the more muscular sporty type. Aesthetically speaking though, it's a fact that Japanese women don't have the same view on muscular men as American women-- it's just not something in demand in the same way.
. . . just like it Japanese men (or women) don't seem to care about straight teeth. While I think there will always be a part of the human genome that attracts women to powerful looking men, if I think of the word "ikemin" (good looking guy), you definitely mean the kind of pretty fashionable guy.
The Japanese (at least in the cities) love Fashion, and one thing I kept hearing female American students while I was studying abroad in Japan was that they noted how much better Japanese men dress in general compared to American men. To a large degree it is cultural and I do think it also stems from a difference of taste between American and Japanese women (and again this probably comes down to some cultural difference).




I've been re-watching the anime, since it is finally licensed here in the US. I think I'm about to re-read all the chapters of the manga, just to get my Nana fix. 

