Shoujo Nana by Ai Yazawa

Nyleve1

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 14, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

it's clear that Layla is no longer one of Shin's 'customers', but i don't think anything big will happen anytime soon.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

I always thought that Reira only went with Shin because she's always hungry for love- this being because Takumi's never "given" her any. Consciously or unconsciously is irrelevant.

That's why Yasu let go of Reira too, because I'm assuming he saw that Reira never could let go of Takumi, but that because Takumi is always cold, her reaction to anybody that made a move on her would be to accept it like a kid who hasn't eaten for days.
 

svart_lotus

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
100
Reaction score
2
Age
44
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

Yeah, Shin was a quick fix for her lonlyness. But the sad thing is that if she could wake up and smell the coffie she would find that shin and reira almost make one complete individual. they are simply to damaged to live on theire own.
As most of us agree on this forum, Takumis feelings for Reira is nothing more then platonic, but i think that in fact is a problem. Reira idolis Takumi, and the fact that he sometime is nice to her without asking anything sexual in return actually makes reira "love" him more.
Damn you Ai... always leaving me depresed :D
 

Misury

Intl Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
262
Reaction score
29
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
Switzerland
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

I think, Shin and Reira's relationship changed a lot, compared to the beginning with the "customer" thing. They began to talk and I think, they are just searching to compensate this need for love they both have, but just cannot fill really. I don't think it is a serious love, more out of loneliness and kind of a longing for love.
 

lalamesilly

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
58
Reaction score
1
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

(I'm gonna rant a little bit) This manga has so many many things that makes me want to cry. It makes u bring out alot of emotion. First off with the whole Shoji and Sachiko (I hate them to death) was not a shocker but it was really upsetting... Then we go off to the whole Takumi Hachi and Nobu triangle. What really pisses me off about Takumi is that if he decides to stay with Hachi why can't he be faithful? I feel so bad for Hachi. Especially during Ch. 71. Takumi will say one thing and then he'll do another completely opposite action. And what more he doesn't even feel guilty about it >O<.
Which makes me wonder is Takumi still cheating on Hachi during the (present time?). And Ren and Nana, at first I thought they'll be one of the stable couples in the beg. but now its the most fragile. I really hope this manga has a happy ending if it doesnt I think it'll be too cruel. In the end I hope (since Ai shows that Life is perfect) that Ai will show that there is actual happiness and hope in life through the manga.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

there are a lot of reasons to doubt though, if the manga will end happily. Based on Ai's previous works.

But I really hope for a happy ending as well. :scry
 

svart_lotus

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
100
Reaction score
2
Age
44
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

I think there will be a traditional Ai ending: Realistic happy ending. Most ppl find these depressing (like paradise kiss), but i would not expect less from a realistic manga. I think what she wants to say with this is the few truths in life:
* People are egoistic bastards, dont hate them for it.
* Love is relativ, not magical and eternal.
* Happiness can only exist in 2 ways: When you close your eyes and pretend that ppl arent bastards OR when you finaly accept that we all are bastards.
* Japanese josei manga-ka's dont know shit about drugs and limited knowledge how a band works.
* Art (picture, music, video, poems etc) have 2 options: Sell out or let it die. o one listens for sole in music anymore, its all syntetic.

That might sound a litle nihilistic, but i do belive that within Ai's chest beats the heart of a old-school love damaged woman.
Hang in there Ai, alcohol helps :D
 

lalamesilly

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
58
Reaction score
1
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

:D hmm but not all Ai's works had a depressing ending. Gokinjo Monogatari had a pretty good ending, maybe not so much Paradise Kiss (as everybody I know says, but I didn't read it myself so I wouldn't know). Well all I could do is hope for a satisfying ending. :p
 

lalamesilly

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
58
Reaction score
1
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Ideas for the conclusion of Nana by YAZAWA Ai

Things that must be figured out before NANA ends

1. Nana O. disappearance: why it happened, what will happen
2. The relationship between Nana K. and Takumi
3. Nana O. and Nana K. will they be reunited?
4. Shin and Reira is it love?
5. Will Takumi ever change?
6. Yasu, Nobu are these two going to get together with Nana and Hachi, find another girl, or stay alone?
7. Ren? What's up with him? Is he going to find Nana O. and stay with her?
8. The child of Hachi and Takumi
9. The mystery child of Reira???
10. Nana's mother
11. Everything else...

Let's see... this is what I think will happen in my opinion. Considering Ai's other works I do not think it'll be a typical Shoujo ending. Because Ai spent alot of time on this manga hopefully she'll be willing to tie up everything before she ends the series. Rumor has it that Ai mentioned that Nana will end at chapter 77... Thats alot to cover in couple of chapters... Starting from number one: Nana's disappearance most likely something to do with her mother, career going down hill, Ren's cold shoulder towards her when she was in need of help. I do not think she died I think she'll be reunited with Hachi and the rest of the gang- Don't think she'll be a superstar singer though.

The relationship between Hachi and Takumi one of the most complicated yet the most stable relationship so far in the story... I doubt they'll divorce, because they have Satsuki, and some people might call staying together for the child is ignorance but I call that morals (don't argue with me on this one your opinion is yours mine is mine you won't change my mind) :). Personally maybe just hopefully Takumi is going to "reform" or at least try to. For me it will feel like a waste if Takumi and Nana divorces, because I feel that Nana invested alot in the marriage and had to put up with alot and I think if she is going to find happiness through Takumi is the best way for her, because in a way Takumi makes her grow and mature.

Some say they want Hachi to become a single mother and become independent and always whine about how she is not growing mentally. I think she's the one who grew the most in the entire manga. And financially, psychologically being a single mother is alot of strain and loneliness... But at this moment I think Takumi does in fact starts to care about Hachi and does love her in a twisted way. (Takumi and Reira probability of that happening in my book is very very very very low, probablity of the "child" in chapter 70 being Takumi uhhh close the none.)

Shin and Reira, I have no idea on this one. The child of Takumi and Hachi, dude the kid looks exactly like Takumi it's Takumi's, and remember Takumi is the one who made love to Hachi without protection. So the child being Nobu's was slim from the beg. Nana's mother (not a fan of this person) I think this person will deny what she did was wrong till the very end, and refuse to see Nana O. I think its painful but hopefully I am wrong about that.

Sad or happy, this manga is going to have one hell of a ending.
 

ILoveTenTen

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Ideas for the conclusion of Nana by YAZAWA Ai

could be ren's baby could be the cause of many of the things you stated in needing to be wrapped up. I don't think Shin X Reira thing will occur cause we already got a glimpse of Shin in the future and it seems highly unlikely at that point. Also if Ai stated 77 will be the end, kind of makes perfect sense though 2 nana's .. 2 7's .. 77 .. .. if the shin x reira thing would have been the case .. atleast some clue or suggestion would have come up in his last appearance .. to late to add it in.

I don't think nana's mother will play a big role but Uehara Misato, in my opinion, plays a much more important role.

But the nanas reunion would be sick if hachi finds a lifeless nana washed up shore after drowning herself only miinutes before she arrives. I personally feel its a life and death type of event happening and all the coupling would draw attention away from any kind of dramatic ending Ai is known for delivering, then again they are never really deadly endings. Also say with paradiss kiss we loved the whole arashi/miwako/hiro thing .. but they weren't even mentioned in the ending/timeskip. I can forsee this same exlusion happening to everyone but the nanas. The only really truely important relationship in this manga is between both nanas. Every other relationship that O and K have is just used to manipulate the dynamics of nana x nana relationship, either bringing them together or pushing them apart.

Think about it nana x nobu brought them together, nana x taku dramatically seperated them, nana x misato pushed them away then together away then hopefully together at the end.. sure these individual relationships are entertaining and dramatic but Ai always shows how the 2 Nanas are effected to each other by these other relationships.
 

ILoveTenTen

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

!!! you should read paradiss kiss if you haven't. I'm highly recommending it.
 

LoveKururu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

This series is very addictive. I saw both movies, and the anime before reading the manga. The anime had me hooked. I kept thinking about it after finishing it. The anime really made me cry at times, I'll admit. She better choose Nobu when all is said and done.

BTW, I'm new here, so Hi :)
 

lalamesilly

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
58
Reaction score
1
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Ideas for the conclusion of Nana by YAZAWA Ai

True that. The Nana's relationship is important and Ai does show it quite often how they go together and seperately further etc... But I think the individual problems that these Nana's face is equally important by themselves. I didn't read parakiss so I have no idea what your talking about ToT. But I'm guessing those three aren't the main characters.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

Hello LoveKururu! Welcome to MH! And I hope you continue reading this manga!

why choose Nobu over Takumi? ^^ just asking.
 

lalamesilly

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
58
Reaction score
1
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

^0^ I can't wait until Ch. 72 comes out... I feel like I'm the only one who supports Takumi and Hachi's relationship to turn out good. Nobu is sweet... But there's that possibility that might become another Shouji...
 

LoveKururu

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

Hello LoveKururu! Welcome to MH! And I hope you continue reading this manga!

why choose Nobu over Takumi? ^^ just asking.
Thanks for the welcome :)

I do plan on continuing with this manga, I really want to see how things turn out for everyone. Why Nobu? Well, I think as a guy we've all been in a similar situation at least once on our lives where we lose out to someone for just being something you're not or having something you don't. Nobu is idealistic, but he's a good guy with a great heart, which makes him stand out from some of the other characters. It's pretty obvious that Nana has always loved him and still does... Maybe I'm just a sucker for a happy ending.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

^0^ I can't wait until Ch. 72 comes out... I feel like I'm the only one who supports Takumi and Hachi's relationship to turn out good.
you're not alone!. I'm all for Takumi. Takumi is love. :p
 

Nami

Queen of The Damned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
5,423
Reaction score
1,786
Age
119
Gender
Female
Country
United Nations
Re: Nana by Ai Yazawa - Discussion

Thanks a lot lalamesilly! :occa. Reading it now...

Edit : Wow...love this chapter. Finally someone has the guts to try to set things right. Do you think the series is ending soon?
 
Last edited:
Top