Fall NFL Thread

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The American Football Thread

Seattle is one of the better teams in a very weak NFC. They can be dangerous... but like a lot of teams this year, they're VERY up and down.[br]Posted on: December 05, 2006, 03:32:41 PM_________________________________________________What a game!!! We completely dominated the Patriots from beginning to end, and at no point in time did it ever feel like the Patsies would threaten us.

Offensively, we did well. All these people that hate Marty Booker just need to shut up. The guy makes plays every week, period. One thing I mentioned not long ago is that our WR's never make the tough catch that other teams make. Well Marty's catch on our final scoring drive was one of those tough catches. That was absolutely sick, and I have no idea how he came down with it. Credit to Joey too for a GREAT throw while under pressure. Sammie Morris played great as well. While it took that last run to make his stats really gaudy, he ran well enough to keep the Pats honest. Joey made no mistakes today, took what the defense gave him, and ran or threw the ball away when the situation called for it. Chris Chambers was again a non-factor, though Joey missed an easy TD to him in the first half. It's ridiculous that someone as talented as him doesn't get a good ball to catch until the second half.

Defensively, we were obviously lights out. Jason Taylor completely dominated AGAIN. This guy is the defensive player of the year. Let's be serious, no one makes more of an impact on defense this year. Bell did good making up his stupid "roughing" the passer call by getting the sack and strip. Matt Roth is taking someone's job next year, he has really come on. Zach Thomas had not one, but TWO "jacked up" hits, and Jason Allen destroyed Graham coming over the middle. There is not enough good things you can say about our D, they did and even better job than usual at making Brady look like crap. We pressured him all day, and got turnovers.

Even the special teams showed up to play! Olindo Mare made both of his FG's in adverse conditions. Not that this changes my mind about him, his fate his sealed, but he does get credit for today. Donnie Jones was as big a factor as any other player today, 3 punts inside the 5!!! And Wes Welker, while he didn't break any big returns, was amazing. Twice he spun out of tackles where he was dead to rights, and that punt return where he backed up, started again, dodged a defender going backwards and ran forward again? Crazy!

Overall, it was a great game! A few things offensively we could have done better, as we DID leave points out there, but I'm not complaining. The playoffs are probably out of reach, but we aren't giving up!

BRING ON BUFFALO!

I'll have some more later, I have quite a few thoughts on the Colts, Vince Young, Tampa, and more![br]Posted on: December 10, 2006, 04:22:06 PM_________________________________________________Ok, first things first. We all know the Colts aren't winning the Super Bowl this year. That defense is worse than any defense Miami had in the 90s. It is a complete joke. A high school team could probably run for 200 yards on them. It's a shame that a player as great as Peyton has to suffer through this. Next year the Colts need to change their defensive scheme... and I'm make all personnel moves on the defense, there is obviously not one player that can't be upgraded on a unit that bad.

Vince Young is easily the ROY, IMO. He is sooooo good, I wish he was on our team. He might not do everything the "right" way, but he has "it." Not many QB's have "it." But Vince does.

Is Houston the most retarded franchise in the league or what? They could of has either Young or Bush and took neither, these players have really changed the dynamic of their teams, and Houston really needs that. Jeez....

And Tampa... are they pathetic or what? They haven't scored a TD in 11 quarters, and even if some of the scores are close, the games aren't. They are easily one of the five worst teams in the NFL. John Gruden is so overrated it's not even funny. Gruden SHOULD be fired. He won a Super Bowl with Dungy's players and hasn't done anything since. Now he's in real trouble because he allowed his defense to get old and he had no young players to take their place.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The American Football Thread

I'm loving what Vince Young is doing for my Titans.

I don't know if he's a lock for Rookie of the Year yet, as there's a lot of good candidates this year, but I tell ya what, if he manages to lead Tennessee to at least a .500 record on the season (or better yet, 9-7, though that would be an amazing feat as they have to beat both Jacksonville and New England) I definitely think he deserves it. He's doing just as much for them as Peyton did earlier in the year for the Colts. The key difference is Vince has a lot less to work with than Peyton, not to mention he doesn't have the eight years of experience in the NFL that Peyton does.

As for Seattle, after their stunning loss to San Francisco last night, there's now a chance that SF may actually go to the playoffs instead (if they win the next games, anyway). If both teams end up at 8-8, SF wins the divison. Who could have seen that coming?

But sorry, manu, but whether it's Seattle or SF, I doubt the winner of the NFC West will last very long in the playoffs at all. There's a lot of tough playoff-caliber teams this year.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The American Football Thread

Not to mention Young has twice as many wins as Manning did his rookie year....
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The American Football Thread

Peyton had more than Troy Aikman in his rookie year, though, lol.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The American Football Thread

I had more wins myself than Troy my rookie year! :D
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The American Football Thread

This was completely fucking pathetic.

Offensively, we were a total joke outside of the first quarter. We wouldn't throw a pass more than 3 yards down field, and when we did, Joey Harrington played liked Joey Dumbass. Even when we did play well in the first quarter, we still couldn't convert on short yardage situations.

I could go on, but why bother? We sucked, completely, and totally. And we weren't exactly playing the best defense in the league.

On defense, we couldn't tackle anyone. It was like we had never seen a RB catch a ball at times. We had our hands on an interception we couldn't get. We allowed balls that were just lobbed up to be caught. Outside of Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor, this unit sucked ass.

Our play calling was shit too. If we had no faith in Joey to throw more than three yards down field, then why was he even in? Did we think we'd give Sammie Morris the ball 45 times and we'd win?

I really don't have it in me to go on. We sucked in every phase of the game.

At least they didn't put us through having to watch Mare try a field goal.

I'm very worried about Christmas Night. Which Dolphins are going to show up? I'll be there and I don't want to have to hear it from those shit Jets fans in our own house.[br]Posted on: December 17, 2006, 04:00:21 PM_________________________________________________Watched the Packers/Vikings game at the bar today.

First.... it's games like this with Brett Favre. He was just terrible again. He threw two dumbass interceptions. And while I do agree that Brett is one of the better QBs of all time, I can't put him in the argument for the greatest. Elway, Montana, Marino, Unitas, etc did NOT just do stupid throws like this all the time. I know people like Favre a lot, and they try to excuse that as his "gun slinger" mentality, but that's no excuse for his sometimes "dumbass" mentality. Don't take it the wrong way Pack fans, Brett is one of my favorite players, but he tried very hard to lose this game for the Pack. For a while the Pack wouldn't even throw the ball after he threw two interceptions in a row. One that was brought back to the house for the Vikings only TD.

Also, Bubba Franks was TERRIBLE! He dropped I don't know how many passes, didn't block well, fumbled when he was trying to go in for the game winning score and just generally sucked.

The Pack's defense was excellent, I think the Vikings barely got over 100 yards of offense.... though they DID have drops, one that would have gone for a very long TD. The Vikings offense on the whole, was just awful though.

On special teams, the Pack struggled in the kicking game, but made the ones that count. So good enough I suppose.
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The American Football Thread

I wish that, for at least one year, the Vikings would have a good season :/

Though, I was super happy that I got to see the Colts win the other night :3 yay for monday night football~!
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The American Football Thread

Obviously due to the NFL Network I didn't catch the Packers/Vikings game (completely forgot it for football picks too). I was pretty amused when I saw the score though. But I think Brett's actually had a good year so far.

Hmm, as for the Titans, it'd be a miracle if they make it into the playoffs, but I'd love it if they did. Nobody wants to play us right now, heh.

I'm hoping Colts continue improving both offensively and defensively against Houston and Miami to finish the season. They did good against the Bengals last Monday for sure.
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The American Football Thread

Gold Knight said:
I was pretty amused when I saw the score though. But I think Brett's actually had a good year so far.
Amused? ;__; How depressing

>< I love the Vikings, I do, but I wish they'd have ONE good season ><

Hmm, as for the Titans, it'd be a miracle if they make it into the playoffs, but I'd love it if they did. Nobody wants to play us right now, heh.
Yeha, they're one one heck of a winning streak right now, aren't they? Well, you never know ^^ Maybe with a lot of hard work and a little luck, they'll squeeze in there ^^
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The American Football Thread

The Titans can still do it, but they're going to need quite a bit of help...

I think Indy will at least LOOK fine going into the playoffs, I can't say they WILL be. I have no doubt they'll look good against Houston, I have no idea what to think of when they play us.... we're so up and down, we might give them one of the best games of the year, or we might just bend over and take it. Who knows.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The American Football Thread

LadyHatake said:
Amused? ;__; How depressing

>< I love the Vikings, I do, but I wish they'd have ONE good season ><
I mean I was amused at the score being so low scoring (it was just 9-7) - NFL Network's having a hard time with ratings and most of their games are blowouts, but a close game like that is usually pretty boring (unless you love defense.) I have nothing against the Vikes :glomp

Yeha, they're one one heck of a winning streak right now, aren't they? Well, you never know ^^ Maybe with a lot of hard work and a little luck, they'll squeeze in there ^^
It would take a whole lot of luck. Here's what I said on another forum a while ago:

The Titans just won their fifth straight game today, they're 7-7 after a 0-5 start, and to stand any kind of chance of getting to the playoffs, a lot of things have to happen.

That includes the Jets losing both of their last two games, against Miami, and Oakland.

Personally I have more faith in Miami beating the Jets than I do Oakland, so that last game really worries me. But the Jets don't really seem to be playing very great football right now, so you never know.

Either way, I'll be cheering hard for the Dolphins in their next game to win!

Other factors to have to happen - we also need the 8-6 Broncos to lose their next two.

That means I'm hoping for a scenario where the 8-5 Bengals will be the other wild card. These two play each other next week, so I want the Bengals to win that one. If both teams get in, there's no way we can get in. But the Broncos also have to lose to San Francisco though, which also worries me.

The Bengals play the Colts tomorrow night and the Steelers in their last game to go with their game with Denver next week, but I don't mind if they're the other wild card team especially as it would help in eliminating at least two teams from the equation.

So, assuming the Jets lose to the Dolphins and Raiders and Broncos lose to the Bengals and 49ers, then we also need the Jaguars to lose at least one game, so that if we win out, we'll have the tiebreaker over them because we have more divison wins (we're 4-2 and they're 3-3, thanks to their two losses to Houston, hah.)

Best scenario would be the Jaguars losing to the Pats (who will probably get in anyway) and then beating 7-7 Kansas City (eliminating that team from the playoffs).

We also need the 7-7 Steelers to lose to either the Ravens or Bengals and we'll have the opportunity to eliminate the 7-7 Bills ourselves next week.

I think that's all there is to it... the slimmest of chances... but it's there.
So yeah, I don't have high hopes, but one can dream.

Venom65437 said:
I think Indy will at least LOOK fine going into the playoffs, I can't say they WILL be. I have no doubt they'll look good against Houston, I have no idea what to think of when they play us.... we're so up and down, we might give them one of the best games of the year, or we might just bend over and take it. Who knows.
Yeah, but if they look bad in either game, I doubt they'll make it to the big dance.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The American Football Thread

Indy is done. No other way to put it, their defense is so pathetic, it doesn't matter if Indy scores scores 50 points, that defense will let someone rush well enough to score 51. They suck. Plain and simple. Hopefully Indy will do themselves a favor and just lose quickly so we don't have to watch LT run all over them.
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The American Football Thread

Venom65437 said:
Indy is done. No other way to put it, their defense is so pathetic, it doesn't matter if Indy scores scores 50 points, that defense will let someone rush well enough to score 51. They suck. Plain and simple. Hopefully Indy will do themselves a favor and just lose quickly so we don't have to watch LT run all over them.
I wanted to cry when I saw the score on TV awhile ago >< How could they lose to the damn TEXANS!? Shit >< That's utterly fucking ridiculous. I'm so tired of this season >< I jsut want it to be over :/ I seriously had my hopes up that Colts would take the SuperBowl this year, bu after today? They've got a snowball's chance in hell, and we all know that ain't good :(
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The American Football Thread

Yeah, I hate to say it, but Indianapolis' defense let them down big time this year. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Coach Dungy retire or be fired at the end of the season.

He's been around long enough to have incorporated his defensive schemes and it's just done jack. Sure he's been lacking the players, but it's just no excuse. Every team has a bit of imbalance when it comes to offensive and defensive players, but that didn't stop teams from winning Super Bowls in the past. When a team starts 9-0, the head coach is supposed to improve the players that he has throughout the season, and they've just gotten worse and worse.

It's just time for Coach Dungy to go. He also seems to have totally lost the passion for the sport as well. Not that I blame him because he did lose his son last year.

Things are looking up for the Titans though. Although Cincinnati lost to Denver, that actually doesn't mean the Titans are out of it yet because now we just need Cincinnati to lose to Pittsburgh next year (instead of Denver to San Francisco) and I'm actually more confident that could happen.

The real scary game for me is still the Jets game with Oakland though. Of course if the Jets win tonight against Miami, it'll be essentially over for the Titans.
 

manu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
991
Reaction score
16
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The American Football Thread

>< Seahawks were 30 seconds away from beating the number one team in the NFL. (Chargers)

Well even though they lost 3 (or 4) games in a row there still number on in the NFC west, though that doesn't mean much...
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The American Football Thread

The Seahawks are far removed from their team from last year. Still, in the NFC playoffs, anything could happen this year, I think. There's no real stand-out team at all in that conference.

Bears: superb defense but anemic offense (though they finally played Griese.)
Saints: up and down team with suspect defense
Cowboys: underachieving team led by overachieving first year starting quarterback
Seahawks: injury-prone year has led to a somewhat battered team

And probably the Eagles and the Giants will make it as the wild card teams, neither of which I'd put my faith in at all to win games. But actually the Eagles might have the best chance of surprising because Jeff Garcia's playing pretty good.[br]Posted on: December 25, 2006, 01:42:02 PM_________________________________________________* * *

Well, the Dolphins let us down. Jets won 13-10. But amazingly enough the Titans still have a chance to get to the playoffs (I thought they were going to be eliminated as a result), but they need 1) a win against the Patriots, 2) a Bengals loss or tie against Steelers, 3) a Broncos loss to the 49ers and 4) a Chiefs win vs Jaguars. I know it's difficult to believe that all that could happen but at least the Titans will go into next week still playing hard with hope.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The American Football Thread

I'm going to start at the end, because this was the worst. Once again our GREAT defense is completely helpless in the last two minutes. While I understand you won't stop them every time, it seems to be a freakin' miracle when we do. The Jets were clearly playing for OT, or a long FG AT BEST, and we let a stupid ass screen pass, where... Matt Roth I think? Had his hands on Washington and instead we let it go for 65 yards. 65!!!

On a night where we put Richmond Webb in the Ring of Honor, and had all these old great Dolphins come back, you'd think this team could show something....

By the way, for all the fans that left before the FG, why do you come? I mean seriously? You didn't know what was going to happen and you gave up. The Jets had already messed up one FG, whose to say they can't do it again? And those of you who left after when 10 seconds left... same question... I hate our fans, I really do. They don't show up... and when it gets tough they leave. They suck, and it's no wonder our home field advantage isn't that great. I know for a fact I was the loudest person in my section... I can't even talk today...oh well

More thoughts... the Jets put together only one TD drive... and Michael Lehan should have gotten the interception on that. But this whole year we've had our hands on turnovers that just never happened. Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas were great... the rest of the defense.... wasn't bad... but they all folded when we needed them the most. Also, we had about 3 hits that could be on jacked up...

Mike Mularkey still sucks. Ronnie Brown... averaging over 6 yards a carry... can't get the ball on 3rd and 2?? We had several situations like that and we threw EVERY TIME! No surprize, we also didn't convert any time. I swear to God...

Also, it's clear to me now that the coaches don't have faith in Joey Harrington to run this team anymore... so Cleo should start next game... he badly outplayed Joey anyway.

Chris Chambers again was a non-factor.

Olindo actually MADE a FG we had to have. I was so sure he missed it... I couldn't believe it.

Finally... weather.com lied... they said it would be in the 70s with a 20% chance of rain.... it was colder than that and rained virtually the entire time... I was soaked.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The American Football Thread

Venom65437 said:
By the way, for all the fans that left before the FG, why do you come? I mean seriously? You didn't know what was going to happen and you gave up. The Jets had already messed up one FG, whose to say they can't do it again? And those of you who left after when 10 seconds left... same question... I hate our fans, I really do. They don't show up... and when it gets tough they leave. They suck, and it's no wonder our home field advantage isn't that great. I know for a fact I was the loudest person in my section... I can't even talk today...oh well
Say, you weren't wearing a jersey with 8 on it were you? I thought for a split second I saw you on TV, heh. (I figured you'd be wearing a 13 jersey though... looked like you tho!)

Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas were great... the rest of the defense.... wasn't bad... but they all folded when we needed them the most. Also, we had about 3 hits that could be on jacked up...
I saw all of them, the best one was the one Zach Thomas laid out on the wide receiver. Talk about a slobberknocker! They're beasts, no doubt. (I guess I just hadn't watched the Dolphins enough this year, but I actually thought that Zach had lost a step - guess not!)

Also, it's clear to me now that the coaches don't have faith in Joey Harrington to run this team anymore... so Cleo should start next game... he badly outplayed Joey anyway.
I don't know if they made the right move or not, but I do still think that the Dolphins could use a young quarterback. Harrington and Culpepper have both been banged up in their respective careers - one emotionally, the other physically - and I don't think either one of them will rebound. And I never had that much faith in either of them to be great leaders anyway.

Finally... weather.com lied... they said it would be in the 70s with a 20% chance of rain.... it was colder than that and rained virtually the entire time... I was soaked.
Yeah, when I was watching the game from my cozy couch, I felt bad for you, heh ;)
 

SiretaInDisguise

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2006
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Country
United States
Re: The American Football Thread

To get off of NFL-- just because I want to talk College and haven't been keeping up with the national league this year very well--...

Ohio State and U of M should have had a rematch in the championship game instead of Florida State and Ohio State. That was depressing, considering U of M would have had the game back in November if we'd played a cleaner, better first half. You can't play half a game, you have to play the full game, and unfortunetly that's what the Wolverines did :/ (I go to U of M, so this might just be loyalty speaking :P)

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to talk college football in this thread or not, so sorry if I'm in the wrong place!
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The American Football Thread

First, I was wearing my Zach Thomas jersey to the game. And you should have been watching ZT Phil! This is the third week in a row he's completely wrecked someone.

Second, I believe Sireta means Florida, not my beloved Seminole, who might just get their ass whooped one more time tomorrow.

Anyway, I'll create something for college football...
 
Top