Fall NFL Thread

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

So, the lockout is officially over and Adam Schefter reports that there will be regular refs at the Browns-Ravens game on Thursday night, or in other words, in like 20 hours.
Thank gawd.

It's funny how speculation said refs had to get physicals and fitted for uniforms and all this nonsense, amounting a week being needed once the lockout was ended :XD
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Thank gawd.

It's funny how speculation said refs had to get physicals and fitted for uniforms and all this nonsense, amounting a week being needed once the lockout was ended :XD
Well, Gary, on the plus side for you, your Ravens got to be part of the second most questionable game under the replacement refs as well as hosting the first game with the regular refs back.

Just like with the official odds for games, I've always ignored speculation such as that one about time being required for the regular refs to be put back.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 AM ----------

If you're interested, Adam Schefter will be live talking about it on SportsCenter in about a minute or so.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, Gary, on the plus side for you, your Ravens got to be part of the second most questionable game under the replacement refs as well as hosting the first game with the regular refs back.

Just like with the official odds for games, I've always ignored speculation such as that one about time being required for the regular refs to be put back.
Why is that a plus necessarily, Frosty? :headscratch

That's a bit different though. I had heard the same thing from a more than a few NFL "expects" or "insiders".
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Why is that a plus necessarily, Frosty? :headscratch

That's a bit different though. I had heard the same thing from a more than a few NFL "expects" or "insiders".
Well, Mr. Bear, you guys get to be part of, although not the primary reason why, the return to the regular refs (as even before the Packers fiasco, people were heavily upset about the refereeing problems in the Sunday night game) and now you get to have the honor of ushering back in the regular refs.

The real plus for you guys is that you won a potentially huge game and successfully navigated the terrible refereeing in what is probably your biggest regular season home game of the year, even bigger than the game against the Steelers. Now, the Patriots aren't your rival like the Steelers are, but for home field advantage it was a more important game, plus with the Steelers struggling this season, you get my drift.

I primarily only trust Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen on these things. Until I get news from one of them, I'm usually rather suspect of rumors that I hear, because they have been so often false.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, Mr. Bear, you guys get to be part of, although not the primary reason why, the return to the regular refs (as even before the Packers fiasco, people were heavily upset about the refereeing problems in the Sunday night game) and now you get to have the honor of ushering back in the regular refs.

I primarily only trust Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen on these things. Until I get news from one of them, I'm usually rather suspect of rumors that I hear, because they have been so often false.
Okay, then you were just being a smartass then :amuse

Schefter is one of the people who mentioned such a timetable actually. Another person was on NFL Network.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Oh, yeah, I also trust John Clayton.

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Okay, then you were just being a smartass then :amuse

Schefter is one of the people who mentioned such a timetable actually. Another person was on NFL Network.
I also edited in another thing to my previous post just as you were posting yours, so you can check that out as well. :P

I must have missed Schefter saying that then.

I'm not a huge fan of the NFL Network guys though.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

The real plus for you guys is that you won a potentially huge game and successfully navigated the terrible refereeing in what is probably your biggest regular season home game of the year, even bigger than the game against the Steelers. Now, the Patriots aren't your rival like the Steelers are, but for home field advantage it was a more important game, plus with the Steelers struggling this season, you get my drift
Maybe, but I still can't buy into that fully. A home game against your archnemesis is always more important.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

Yes another was John Clayton I think. I don't care for many on NFL Network as well. I find the reporting to be sort of biased for obvious reasons.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Perhaps I just missed all of this speculation about the regular refs needing time to get ready, because I had never heard of it. These days, I've only been watching ESPN in the early morning and later at night, so if it was something during the day at some point, that may be why I missed it.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Did the ref's really get a standing O tonight? The fuck happened to this world.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Did the ref's really get a standing O tonight? The fuck happened to this world.
Replacement Refs happened.

It was so good to watch a football game that was actually in control. All that talk of the real refs being bad when they come back was apparently just nonsense because they were in perfect form. I bet they will get an even warmer reception at the next Packer home game.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

I must have missed Schefter saying that then.

I'm not a huge fan of the NFL Network guys though.
I liked Jason La Canfora, but he left for CBS. I also like Rich Eisen. Somebody needs to steal Mike Maycock, best color man in football. Otherwise not an NFL Network fan either.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I liked Jason La Canfora, but he left for CBS. I also like Rich Eisen. Somebody needs to steal Mike Maycock, best color man in football. Otherwise not an NFL Network fan either.
Rich Eisen is too smug for my tastes...but he's the least of the problem. Marshall Faulk is okay, but Mariucci is unwatchable for me. Irvin is a jackass and Deion is Prime...so a clown. None of them are worse than Warren Sapp though....jesus christ

I think Mayock is better in his role during the draft. He's not bad as a color analyst for games, but not among my favorites.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Forum players and coaches usually annoy me, irregardless of what station they are on. Eric Mangini is one of the few I actually find illuminating. After watching him I actually feel like I learned something. Gruden is also good, of course, but in a very different role. He, Maycock, and Daryl Johnston are the three color analysts I really like. Collinsworth is decent, but nothing special.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Gruden is alright, but he usually has nothing negative to say. But he's entertaining to listen to. I find it interesting that Jaworski is no longer a part of the Monday Night Football crew. I like his enthusiasm and he usually says the right thing, but sometimes his way of speaking just grates my nerves.

Mayock is good, Darryl Johnston is indeed good. Collinsworth is good...I also like Aikman in that role. There's not many I completely dislike, but Phill Simms annoys the hell out of me and Jim Nantz is just so out of place doing Football play-by-play. Every week I feel like he'd rather be at Augusta doing the Masters.

I think Al Michaels is still the best play-by-play guy.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

When he dies, Aikman's epitaph will read "That's Right, Joe". Terrible color man, as bland and uninteresting as humanly possible. He doesn't even explain the action that well. Gruden may not be objective about the players, but his commentary is always illuminating. After listening to him I feel as though I know more about football. I feel the same way about Moose Johnston. Janikowski was good, but maybe a little to similar to Gruden. The two of them sharing a booth could get annoying. His NFL Matchup show, with Sal Paolantonio and Merril Hoge, might be the best football show on TV.

No doubt Al Michaels is still the best play by play man.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,229
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I don't see how you could possibly "know more about football" after listening to Gruden :blink. He's all enthusiasm and not much else. I think he's funny and entertaining, but there isn't much substance there.

I think you're overly harsh on Aikman, but I don't have to listen to him much so whatever. One who tends to annoy the hell out of me is Dan Dierdorf...man is he awful sometimes.

I don't tend to listen for people to teach me anything, I know the rules and players of the game well enough. I just don't want to find myself disagreeing or being annoyed with what they're saying more than anything.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I was more than a little surprised that we came back and won that. After Gostkowski missing FGs and us therefore not even converting off of the Bills turnovers, it was looking bleak, but then the Bills completely dropped the ball and we scored 35 unanswered points.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm glad the patriots won even though they got off to a slow start, but picked it up big time eventually. However, I'm not really impressed with this win because they always beat the bills :^_^ The Jets lost 34-0 wow I'm speechless I knew they were going to lose but not that badly. Expect a lot of "Tebow mania" throughout the week.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Will the saints go 0-4 it's still to early to tell, but it isn't looking good for them right now!
 
Last edited:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm glad the patriots won even though they got off to a slow start, but picked it up big time eventually. However, I'm not really impressed with this win because they always beat the bills :^_^ The Jets lost 34-0 wow I'm speechless I knew they were going to lose but not that badly. Expect a lot of "Tebow mania" throughout the week.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Will the saints go 0-4 it's still to early to tell, but it isn't looking good for them right now!
While that's usually true, the Patriots actually lost to the Bills for the first time in like nine years in last season's game at Buffalo after blowing a 21-0 lead and picking off Fitzpatrick left, right, and center when Brady lost his head and threw four picks, including at least one red zone INT, although I think only one INT was actually his fault.

Indeed, the more surprising thing was how the Jets couldn't even get on the scoreboard. I know the 49ers have a great defense, but getting shutout? Ouch...I had thought possibly good things were in score for the Jets this season after the 48-17 (I think?) win over the Bills.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

A decent comeback by the Packers, especially in a game I thought that they were going to lose at one point.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

^Yeah the Saints could of won that game, but they didn't play smart at all 0-4 oh my goodness.
 
Top