Fall NFL Thread

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I stopped watching kind of carefully after it was 31-17. I only stopped in here or there and saw some of the TDs. When did he break his forearm?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Does anyone in the world sound like a dumber human being than Ron Gronkowski? I saw an interview he did some weeks ago...dear god. Thank god there's sports for him to play :lmao
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I stopped watching kind of carefully after it was 31-17. I only stopped in here or there and saw some of the TDs. When did he break his forearm?
It was midway through the 4 quarter :waah
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I saw the highlights. Apparently the broken arm occurred on the extra point of the final Pats TD. I'm not understanding how that could've happened, but unthinkably, we've lost Gronk for 4-6 weeks. Moreover, Gronk would have set the record for the most reception TDs in a player's first three sets if he hadn't been injured. He's at 37, Jerry Rice had 40, and Randy Moss had 43. I trust that Gronk could've gotten at least 7 TDs in six games.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Man it's bad enough Aaron Hernandez is still out, but now this!? :xp Kill me now
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Does anyone in the world sound like a dumber human being than Ron Gronkowski? I saw an interview he did some weeks ago...dear god. Thank god there's sports for him to play :lmao
Yeah, he was doing all of this idiotic stuff over the summer and Belichick (and probably Tom) came down on him and told him to shut up and get in line, after which he did. Then again, when you're a freakishly tall white man who may not be that intelligent and you have similarly built brothers, I'm not sure what else there is other than sports. We had one of his brothers (also a TE) on the roster, but we kept cutting and resigning him, and then I think he went to Denver.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

Man it's bad enough Aaron Hernandez is still out, but now this!? :xp Kill me now
Well, it's time for Welker and Edelman to get 150 yards each per game and for Lloyd to pick up 2 rec TDs each game. :troll:

Yeah, but seriously, this is not looking that good for us. I actually think that we're better off without Hernandez on the field, as when he's there, Welker gets less touches.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Yeah, he was doing all of this idiotic stuff over the summer and Belichick (and probably Tom) came down on him and told him to shut up and get in line, after which he did. Then again, when you're a freakishly tall white man who may not be that intelligent and you have similarly built brothers, I'm not sure what else there is other than sports. We had one of his brothers (also a TE) on the roster, but we kept cutting and resigning him, and then I think he went to Denver.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------



Well, it's time for Welker and Edelman to get 150 yards each per game and for Lloyd to pick up 2 rec TDs each game. :troll:

Yeah, but seriously, this is not looking that good for us. I actually think that we're better off without Hernandez on the field, as when he's there, Welker gets less touches.

I don't know Hernandez is probably their best receiver. He's so versatile in so many ways coming out of the back field sometimes, blocking, getting yards after the catch, and he's a such big target in the middle down the field. It's hard to replace all of those things nothing against Welker though :p
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I know that Hernandez can do all of that, but I've never really liked him. He's fun to use in Madden as you can get him with a decent draft pick in a fantasy draft, and he's got good hands and good speed, but in real life, he's not really someone I love...

Lloyd's been a disappointment this season though.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I know that Hernandez can do all of that, but I've never really liked him. He's fun to use in Madden as you can get him with a decent draft pick in a fantasy draft, and he's got good hands and good speed, but in real life, he's not really someone I love...

Lloyd's been a disappointment this season though.
I was going to make excuses for him but I cant. This late into the season he should be fully acclimated to the Patriots offense by now, but his production proves otherwise. He had some opportunities to shine, but you cant keep dropping balls.

---------- Post added at 12:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

As long as other receivers are picking up the slack I don't mind though.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

I was hoping the Rams would beat the Jets today. I guess I was asking for too much :derp

Steelers lost :lmao
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Just like with Chad Johnson (he's no longer Ochicinco), Lloyd hasn't adapted to the pace of our offense.

With both of our TEs out now, what if they don't?

It's the Rams. Have you seen Sam Bradford play? He is truly awful.

Yeah, but the Ravens again failed to score points and if you take away Jacoby Jones' punt return TD, the Ravens would've lost 10-6. Also, if Big Ben had played, perhaps he could've done something, as the only points that the Steelers put up came from the long rushing TD by Byron Leftwich and some FG at some point.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Just like with Chad Johnson (he's no longer Ochicinco), Lloyd hasn't adapted to the pace of our offense.

With both of our TEs out now, what if they don't?

It's the Rams. Have you seen Sam Bradford play? He is truly awful.

Yeah, but the Ravens again failed to score points and if you take away Jacoby Jones' punt return TD, the Ravens would've lost 10-6. Also, if Big Ben had played, perhaps he could've done something, as the only points that the Steelers put up came from the long rushing TD by Byron Leftwich.
Sam Bradford is not awful in my opinion. He was drafted to a team with almost nothing around him. In less than three years as a professional player he's had two different head coaches and a different Offensive Coordinator each year.

What is this "if you take away" nonsense? Special Teams don't count all of a sudden? Our win wasn't impressive but most of the games between these two teams are like this. It's nothing new.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Steelers lost :lmao


The loss of Roethlisberger really was just too much to overcome. Leftwich did as well as he could be expected to, maybe even a little better, but it's still a pretty significant step down. Even with that though were still plenty of opportunities to win it, but there were just too many mistakes.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

What's the Steelers record now after this loss?
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Sam Bradford is not awful in my opinion. He was drafted to a team with almost nothing around him. In less than three years as a professional player he's had two different head coaches and a different Offensive Coordinator each year.

What is this "if you take away" nonsense? Special Teams don't count all of a sudden? Our win wasn't impressive but most of the games between these two teams are like this. It's nothing new.
You keep on believing that. Were you watching him play today? A bunch of times he wasn't even close to receivers, regardless of the amount of talent around him.

Of course special teams count, but the success of your special teams unit often papers over the cracks. The reality is that offensively, the Ravens put up a pair of FGs and it's not the first game that the Ravens have struggled offensively in this year. Apart from the Patriots game and one other game, the Ravens have not really been very successful offensively and while they've looked at least decent defensively, they haven't always faced good offensives. A win is a win, and nothing takes away from that, as the 07 Pats team may have been one of the best teams in history, but in the ultimate game, they didn't get it done. The Ravens have played well enough this season to get the No. 2 seed, and they'd have to lose twice in order to lose that, but you need to be able to put up more than 13-17 points a game on a regular basis.

As a Ravens fan, what would you be saying about this game if the Ravens managed two FGs and lost? Of course special teams count, but you can't rely on them to make up for a struggling offense.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,849
Reaction score
23,519
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

@ BASED Shinigami
6 and 4

Our remaining schedule is easier than Baltimore's, with the Raven's being the only team on it over .500 but it's going to be hard to take the division now.
 
Last edited:

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Interestingly, in the last five Ravens-Steelers games at Hines Field, they've all been decided by three points, with the Ravens winning the last three and then Steelers winning the two before that.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

You keep on believing that. Were you watching him play today? A bunch of times he wasn't even close to receivers, regardless of the amount of talent around him.

Of course special teams count, but the success of your special teams unit often papers over the cracks. The reality is that offensively, the Ravens put up a pair of FGs and it's not the first game that the Ravens have struggled offensively in this year. Apart from the Patriots game and one other game, the Ravens have not really been very successful offensively and while they've looked at least decent defensively, they haven't always faced good offensives. A win is a win, and nothing takes away from that, as the 07 Pats team may have been one of the best teams in history, but in the ultimate game, they didn't get it done. The Ravens have played well enough this season to get the No. 2 seed, and they'd have to lose twice in order to lose that, but you need to be able to put up more than 13-17 points a game on a regular basis.

As a Ravens fan, what would you be saying about this game if the Ravens managed two FGs and lost? Of course special teams count, but you can't rely on them to make up for a struggling offense.
Sorry, your critique of him amounts to just being a Tom Brady-spoiled Pats fan. I'm not saying he's a great QB, but the guy has barely even played 2.5 NFL seasons worth of games and has been surrounded by mediocrity for most of them. No consistency in coaching either. The successful NFL QBs have that. Are people sticking a fork in Cam Newton because he's played crummy this year? No. Bradford has played 10 more games than him at this point in his career. You're exaggerating in my opinion.

We just played the NFL's best defense in probably the best divisional match-up going in the NFL. A win is a win in divisonal games and that's the ONLY thing that matters when playing the Steelers. It's always close and it's always ugly. We're the walking wounded on top of that. This is the first time in Harbaugh's tenure that we've had as many key injuries as we do now.

And I have no idea what you're trying to imply with the 13-17 points thing. It's just incorrect. We've failed to score less than 20 points three times this year and we still won two of those games. We're fourth in the league in points per game and have been scoring points at a level never seen before from the Ravens. We just broke our single-game scoring record last week against the Raiders. It's because of this we've been able to withstand our defense taking a step back in most categories, but we're still the best Red Zone defense in the league. So it's very much bend but don't break some weeks.

What is this "what if" scenario man? :XD It has no basis in reality, we scored what we scored. I never said good special teams makes up for any and every shortcoming, but to sort of discount it like you have is silly and you're just flat-out wrong about our offense. A TD is a TD.

I'm not wearing rose-tinted glasses. There's something about this team that is underwhelming. I don't know if it's hurt pride from watching teams just run all over out defense some weeks or what. I still think our game and time management is suspect, as well as the offensive play calling. But we're 8-2, only two teams have better records than us. We have some tough games coming up for sure though.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Sorry, your critique of him amounts to just being a Tom Brady-spoiled Pats fan. I'm not saying he's a great QB, but the guy has barely even played 2.5 NFL seasons worth of games and has been surrounded by mediocrity for most of them. No consistency in coaching either. The successful NFL QBs have that. Are people sticking a fork in Cam Newton because he's played crummy this year? No. Bradford has played 10 more games than him at this point in his career. You're exaggerating in my opinion.
I will grant that the fact that we've had one of the best QBs in NFL history as our QB for the majority of the time that I've been a Pats fan has colored my view of things. The majority of weeks, I get to see a great offensive performances, something which a lot of teams can't expect. Look, I've seen more than I've ever wanted to of Sam Bradford, and I'm still not convinced. Until he does something noteworthy as a QB, I'm never going to think he's anything more than mediocre. Cam Newton has taken a step back this year, but the sophomore slump often occurs, so I'm not throwing him under the bus for that, but I did expect more out of this season than he's shown. In fact, with a weakened NFC this year, I thought that the Panthers could nab the second wildcard spot, not possibly be a 4-12 team. I thought 7-9 was the minimum that we'd see out of the Panthers this season.

We just played the NFL's best defense in probably the best divisional match-up going in the NFL. A win is a win in divisonal games and that's the ONLY thing that matters when playing the Steelers. It's always close and it's always ugly. We're the walking wounded on top of that. This is the first time in Harbaugh's tenure that we've had as many key injuries as we do now.
I stated that a win is a win.

And I have no idea what you're trying to imply with the 13-17 points thing. It's just incorrect. We've failed to score less than 20 points three times this year and we still won two of those games. We're fourth in the league in points per game and have been scoring points at a level never seen before from the Ravens. We just broke our single-game scoring record last week against the Raiders. It's because of this we've been able to withstand our defense taking a step back in most categories, but we're still the best Red Zone defense in the league. So it's very much bend but don't break some weeks.
Perhaps my view has been colored by the fact that some of the bigger games have resulted in lesser point totals for the Ravens. The Chiefs game two weeks ago was shocking, although it was a Baltimore win. I know that the Ravens broke their single game scoring record last week, but that boosts your point total for the season and perhaps makes you look better than you are.

That "bend but don't break" thing is what was discussed in terms of the Pats defense the last two or three seasons, which isn't a positive thing.

What is this "what if" scenario man? :XD It has no basis in reality, we scored what we scored. I never said good special teams makes up for any and every shortcoming, but to sort of discount it like you have is silly and you're just flat-out wrong about our offense. A TD is a TD.

I'm not wearing rose-tinted glasses. There's something about this team that is underwhelming. I don't know if it's hurt pride from watching teams just run all over out defense some weeks or what. I still think our game and time management is suspect, as well as the offensive play calling. But we're 8-2, only two teams have better records than us. We have some tough games coming up for sure though.
You always have to look at hypothetical situations. We nearly found ways to lose games to the Jets and the Bills, and we found ways to lose to the Seahawks and the Cardinals.

The problem I'm discussing is the games against the Steelers and the Chiefs where things could've so easily gone wrong. A TD is a TD, but not scoring an offensive TD is a problem. Of course, you don't have to always play well offensively if your defense or ST gets it done, but come playoff time, this may not get it done. I fear this Ravens team a lot less than the Ravens teams of the last three seasons.

The Texans, a team who got wrecked by a passing giant in the Packers, ended up decimating the Ravens this season. It's not just how teams can run all over the Ravens at times, it's that putting too much pressure on Flacco isn't a great idea in my opinion.

At this point, I don't see any AFC team winning the SB, as all three contenders, the Texans, Ravens, and Pats all have problems. Perhaps the Packers will find a way to win another SB or something.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

"Mediocre" <--- well at least that's a step in the right direction and much more reasonable than Bradford being awful. His play has been mediocre for the most part. But there's potential there in my opinion. Upside has a lot to do with what NFL player keeps a job in the NFL and who doesn't, but of course this only lasts so long. But I don't believe he's had a fair shot as the situation in St.Louis is far from ideal.

Yeah, the Chief game was a dud for sure. I don't know what to chalk that up to, but it counts as much as scoring 50 points and decimating your opponent in the long run. The Raiders game booster our average for sure, but we dropped 44 on the Bengals and scored in the 20s-30s for all other games that weren't mentioned.

I can only deal in the hypothetical so much. You can only have SO much momentum in the NFL, you play once and week and that's it. Every game is completely new and different. I understand what you're saying though, I can't say that teams shouldn't "fear" the Ravens, but there is something odd about them.

Whether it's too much pressure on Flacco, I don't know if I've bought into that. He's shown himself capable of coming up big when needed and his statistics aren't showing that. He's set to set personal bests in a few categories. I still think teams fear Rice more than him though.

I think the Texans could beat anyone in the league on any given day. They're the best team in the NFL right now.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm not overly interested in discussing Sam Bradford or the 49ers right now, but I'm sure we'll get back to them next week after their respective games.

________________________

How about those 49ers? They finally got the D-line really working tonight and they crushed Jason Campbell.
 
Top