Fall NFL Thread

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

You guys gave a good effort for a half. But you don't win games playing well for only 30 minutes usually, much less Conference Championships.

This one is sweet, but I'm not going to rub it in.
Well, we actually didn't even play well for 30 minutes, it was just that we were ahead at the half.

lol :)

I thought it was in real-time too, but they didn't show many different angles of it live. The ref probably got many more. He was out while he was still up, and the ball seemed to be coming out at that point. It's hard to maintain possession when you're unconscious.
Perhaps the refs did get many more angles, but the ones we saw in the replay looked like he'd already been knocked out, but he hit the ground, and was thus downed, and then the ball hit off his knee and slipped away. Maybe there was some extra angel the ref saw that we didn't get, but it didn't look like a fumble live, nor in the angles we saw. That one play definitely massively hurt us as it gave Flacco a short field TD, but we were already struggling anyway, and I didn't think we were winning at that point as it was.

Ellerbe was in the right place, but a tipping a ball at the line takes skill and McPhee did it twice tonight. So yeah, some luck in there being a tipped ball in the right place, but every team practices the tip drill.
Yeah, he was. I was just more surprised that McPhee's tip flew like 20 yards. Most tips go five yards, 10 at most.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

My preseason pick was us losing to the 49ers in the SB, so honestly, I'm not that upset or aggrieved. It's actually better to lose here in the AFC Championship in a way than have to suffer through another SB loss.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Harbowl :lulzobito

The convergence of the Harbough brothers, SF going for Super Bowl six, Colin Kaepernick, the death of Art Model, Ray Lewis, and is Flacco "elite" or not may well turn this into one of the all time Super Bowl media circuses. Commence the dead horse beating.

Great games today. Not sure what was more impressive, SF's comeback or Baltimore's utter domination. I expected more than 13 points from the Patriots. Did not watch that game hoping to scout the punter.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

All of that means that I'm basically not turning ESPN until after the SB, Kaiten. I don't want to hear anything more about all of the above, Manti Te'o, or Lance Armstrong.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

They DROOOOVE the Harbaugh thing into the ground for half a week last season for the Thanksgiving night game. I expect to be sick of it before the Pro Bowl

Can't wait to see what Skip Bayless has to say tomorrow morning...lolz
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

It would be nice for Ray Lewis to end his career with a second SB victory, although as San Fran was my preseason SB pick, I have to stick with them. I think that the Ravens may get some big hits in on Kaepernick, so who knows. I think it'll be a close game either way. The 49ers pass rush has some injuries and the secondary on both sides have given up big yards at times.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I know the Falcons defense is pretty mediocre, but Kaepernick look pretty amazing today. He throws laser beams.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

In one of my worst years of picking games, I've gone 3-7 in my NFL playoff game picks. The only games that I picked correctly were the Packers over the Vikings, the Pats over the Texans, and the 49ers over the Falcons.
 

BASED Shinigami

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2011
Messages
1,836
Reaction score
634
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I would like the Niners to win, but I can no longer doubt the Ravens. I've doubted them since they made the playoffs, and they've proved me wrong by winning all their games. Kudos good luck :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

They DROOOOVE the Harbaugh thing into the ground for half a week last season for the Thanksgiving night game. I expect to be sick of it before the Pro Bowl

Can't wait to see what Skip Bayless has to say tomorrow morning...lolz
It's a fact of life for sports fans; ESPN, sports radio, Bleacher Report, SB Nation, and Twitter will conspire to run any semi-interesting into the ground. I make a point of not watching Slip Bayless. Icky.

I think at some point Ray Lewis eclipses all other stories.

I know the Falcons defense is pretty mediocre, but Kaepernick look pretty amazing today. He throws laser beams.
He looked amazing against Green Bay too, also a mediocre defense. It's actually a really good match up, it should be a well played, well coached competitive game.

I would like the Niners to win, but I can no longer doubt the Ravens. I've doubted them since they made the playoffs, and they've proved me wrong by winning all their games. Kudos good luck :)
I can't doubt either team. They both have that team of destiny feel. Hard game to pick.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I brought up Bayless because the guy is an unabashed Patriot and Tom Brady fanboy and basically has never anything decent to say about the Ravens, much less Flacco. Going so far to call him "Fluke-o". I get that's how he makes his money, to use Wrestling terminology - he's a Heel... but saying that and then in the next segment kneeling at the altar of Lord Tebow. It's just hilarious.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I tried to watch First Take for a minute, but all they wanted to take about was Ray Lewis and God. Skip apparently was upset that people are fine with Ray Lewis talking about God, but people hated on Tebow for talking about God. I think Skip has forgotten that Ray Lewis is a future HOFer and Tebow's a hack.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I tried to watch First Take for a minute, but all they wanted to take about was Ray Lewis and God. Skip apparently was upset that people are fine with Ray Lewis talking about God, but people hated on Tebow for talking about God. I think Skip has forgotten that Ray Lewis is a future HOFer and Tebow's a hack.
I missed that...I'll catch it on the replay :lmao

And I don't think there's any sort of reverse racism there, it's like you said.

I'm equally annoyed by it coming from both of them, but in the moment I don't care. It helps that he owns this city though.
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

I missed that...I'll catch it on the replay :lmao

And I don't think there's any sort of reverse racism there, it's like you said.

I'm equally annoyed by it coming from both of them, but in the moment I don't care. It helps that he owns this city though.
It was pretty amusing, although still unwatchable.

When you say "he owns this city," who are you referring to, Skip or Ray Lewis?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

It was pretty amusing, although still unwatchable.

When you say "he owns this city," who are you referring to, Skip or Ray Lewis?
Yeah, I was assuming it was turned into a racial thing. Apparently not and I would have been surprised since Skip doesn't go down that route usually. He isn't Jason Whitlock or anything.

You seriously asked that question? :oh
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Yeah, I was assuming it was turned into a racial thing. Apparently not and I would have been surprised since Skip doesn't go down that route usually. He isn't Jason Whitlock or anything.

You seriously asked that question? :oh
Steven A's the only one who usually does that, but they only time that they ever discuss race is in terms of college QBs and the fact that African American QBs with similar, or higher, levels of talent as Tebow hadn't gotten the chances that Tebow got. However, this season, three African American QBs, all of whom run and pass better than Tebow, have become stars in the league.

No, I just wanted to gauge your reaction.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

I brought up Bayless because the guy is an unabashed Patriot and Tom Brady fanboy and basically has never anything decent to say about the Ravens, much less Flacco. Going so far to call him "Fluke-o". I get that's how he makes his money, to use Wrestling terminology - he's a Heel... but saying that and then in the next segment kneeling at the altar of Lord Tebow. It's just hilarious.
He makes me nauseous. I don't care what he thinks and have not watched him in years. That's how he's always been, he needs a target. Last time I watched his target was Lebron, before "the decision".

It was pretty amusing, although still unwatchable.

When you say "he owns this city," who are you referring to, Skip or Ray Lewis?
Skip Bayless, Natty Boh, crab cakes, and Cal Ripken, Jr. - all Baltimore icons.
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

kakashi919

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
2,311
Reaction score
1,988
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Re: The NFL Thread

YESSS!!!! Black and Purple!!!!!!! At least my Super Bowl winner choice made it :dancin
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Steven A's the only one who usually does that, but they only time that they ever discuss race is in terms of college QBs and the fact that African American QBs with similar, or higher, levels of talent as Tebow hadn't gotten the chances that Tebow got. However, this season, three African American QBs, all of whom run and pass better than Tebow, have become stars in the league.

No, I just wanted to gauge your reaction.
Hmmm, well there's nothing wrong with talking about racial issues to me...if it makes sense. They've been talking about revisions they want to make to the Rooney rule, as well as the glaring lack of black head coaches in Divison I College Football. I have no issues with this at all.

But when you have guys like Bryant Gumbel going off on David Stern...calling him a plantation owner and the NBA players as his "boys", this is an example of using race to only inflame. When I heard him going off on that a year or two ago and looked into more of the past racial issues in sports he's brought up, it's clear to me that he's so hyper focused on race that I would say he has to be racist.

I wouldn't compare Stephen A. Smith to that type of journalism at all. I find him to be pretty reasonable most of the time.

He makes me nauseous. I don't care what he thinks and have not watched him in years. That's how he's always been, he needs a target. Last time I watched his target was Lebron, before "the decision".
Yeah, but that's a little lower on the ladder of ridiculousness than this Tebow thing. I now what he's playing at and I don't care much about what he thinks, but I LOVE when he's wrong.

YESSS!!!! Black and Purple!!!!!!! At least my Super Bowl winner choice made it :dancin
Yeah but you like all of the bird teams :notsure
 

FrostyMouse

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 18, 2011
Messages
7,395
Reaction score
1,302
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Re: The NFL Thread

Hmmm, well there's nothing wrong with talking about racial issues to me...if it makes sense. They've been talking about revisions they want to make to the Rooney rule, as well as the glaring lack of black head coaches in Divison I College Football. I have no issues with this at all.
In terms of the Rooney Rule, honestly, while there probably should be more black head coaches, if NFL teams think that they're not more qualified, they don't have to hire them. I hope that Lovie Smith gets a new job somewhere.

But when you have guys like Bryant Gumbel going off on David Stern...calling him a plantation owner and the NBA players as his "boys", this is an example of using race to only inflame. When I heard him going off on that a year or two ago and looked into more of the past racial issues in sports he's brought up, it's clear to me that he's so hyper focused on race that I would say he has to be racist.

I wouldn't compare Stephen A. Smith to that type of journalism at all. I find him to be pretty reasonable most of the time.
I was talking about the guys on First Take.

Bryant Gumbel is clearly cut from a different cloth on that front.

Remember when the owner of the Cavs came out with that email/whatever that basically said that LeBron should've stayed because blacks owe things and stuff, which actually was a plantation owner remark?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,179
Reaction score
30,225
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

In terms of the Rooney Rule, honestly, while there probably should be more black head coaches, if NFL teams think that they're not more qualified, they don't have to hire them. I hope that Lovie Smith gets a new job somewhere.
The rule is just to interview a minority candidate. The expansion would require them to interview a minority for the coordinator positions as well. I don't really take issue with that all. It's not about requiring them to be hired or anything.

You can't really deny that the amount of minority head coaches in the league, compared to how many play in the league is pretty insanely lopsided. But the right guy for the job is the right guy for the job, I'm not arguing there.

I was talking about the guys on First Take.

Bryant Gumbel is clearly cut from a different cloth on that front.

Remember when the owner of the Cavs came out with that email/whatever that basically said that LeBron should've stayed because blacks owe things and stuff, which actually was a plantation owner remark?
Yeah I know, I was just drawing a comparison between Smith and someone who I think is actually focused TOO much on it.

Gumble's commentary was during the last NBA lockout, comparing the players to slaves and Stern to a slave owner. It's one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard, and I don't like Stern at all. It's not only unintelligent, it actually downplayed the actual struggles black people have had in history here, ironically. To compare million-dollar athletes, who could do any number of things with their money and talent, to slaves. It just left me dumbfounded...anyways, too offtopic so nvm :XD
 
Top