Fall NFL Thread

Coup

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
288
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States

Zwivix

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
864
Reaction score
19
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: The NFL Thread

Patriots vs. Colts Saturday November 4th at 4:15PM EST.

Who do you think will win? Who will have the edge and why?
 

Coup

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
288
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I don't know. I just wanna sit back and enjoy that game for sure :D
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: The NFL Thread

I was watching the news and it said that the New York Giants will be facing the Miami Dolphins... in London! How odd is that, and they said that the tickets were sold out. Any comments on that? :D
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Patriots vs. Colts Saturday November 4th at 4:15PM EST.

Who do you think will win? Who will have the edge and why?
You already know my feelings on that one. Colts will win. They've got just as complete a team as the Pats, especially when they get Marvin back, and it's at home. And they have the psychological advantage of having beaten the Patriots three in a row.

Somebody has to beat the Pats this year. I don't think they will go 16-0. Admittedly it sure doesn't look like they'll lose another game after this one, though. So the Colts are pretty much the NFL's last hope to stop this undefeated team.

I was watching the news and it said that the New York Giants will be facing the Miami Dolphins... in London! How odd is that, and they said that the tickets were sold out. Any comments on that? :D
Yes, they played in London and it was pretty ugly. My friend Josh (Venom), a Miami fan, was very mad about the kind of field that they played on. Though I watched it and it was an overall relatively fun game to watch. London fans seemed very receptive, more than I thought.

What was more impressive to me though was a 26-foot robot of Miami Dolphins defensive player Jason Taylor in London!




Guess what? It's the game of the Millennium! At least until the playoffs, anyway.

8-0 New England Patriots and 7-0 Indianapolis Colts, beeyotches!

First time ever in NFL history that two teams better than or at 7-0 are meeting this late in the season. And they're probably the best two teams in the entire league, too, bar none.

Making it all better is that they have a recent history of playoffs and championship battles.

It's pretty obvious that whoever is going to win this game will have homefield advantage by the time it's all said and done, if they do meet in the playoffs. So the stakes are still pretty high.

4:05 EST on CBS, be there or be square!
 
Last edited:

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

They've lost 2 weeks in a row now :/ (The Colts) I didn't see their game yesterday, but I heard they lost it after a missed field goal that would have secured them the game :/ Damn.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

I watched both games:

Against the Patriots, they just plain lost in covering Randy Moss in the fourth quarter. The Colts out-played the Patriots until then. It didn't help that we were missing Marvin Harrison and Anthony Gonzalez and Tony Ugoh. For the Pats, getting Randy Moss definitely paid off in this one game.

And then against the Chargers: we didn't have Dallas Clark and lost another tackle, and Peyton had to go to a huddle offense for the first time in five years. But, Peyton also probably had his worst game ever, because he was just off aim and didn't seem very comfortable at all in the pocket. Although he still pulled the team back to the brink of victory at the end, and would have won if Vinateri hadn't missed a kick. A lot of teams are saying right now that they admired Peyton even more after that game though, 'cause he could have just hung it up after throwing five interceptions and didn't ( he threw the sixth on a desperate last play. )

I have to say, though, the Colts looked like they weren't going anywhere at the end of the last regular season and they still had a terrific playoffs. So don't count them out just yet. They're just going to have to deal with the Patriots on their home field this time around, if they do meet again.
 

Coup

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
288
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm not foolish to count the Colts out, but I have to admit Sunday's night game against the Chargers took me by surprise. Six interceptions by Peyton? Yup, wow huh... Turns out he is just as human as Brett Favre :eyeroll . Even with those 6 interceptions they were still in the game, so that has to count for something. Also that ref completely choked when he blown that interception dead by the Colts in the end zone, but oh well.

Can't wait for the rematch for Colts vs Patriots for the AFC championship. I wonder how Dungy is going to go into that game after Belicheat left him hanging after the week 9 game. ;)

Anyway, for now the game on my mind is Packers vs Cowboys :)
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Can't wait for the rematch for Colts vs Patriots for the AFC championship. I wonder how Dungy is going to go into that game after Belicheat left him hanging after the week 9 game. ;)
Eh, I doubt that one. The Steelers look better then the Colts do right now, so I'd say Steelers vs Patriots is a more likely scenario. The Steelers have a larger lead in their division than the Colts do as well.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

That's true, and with the recent injuries that the Colts have been having ( they just lost Dwight Freeney for the year ) things are really not looking good for them, especially with the schedule they have left. But they still only lost to the Patriots and Chargers by very small margins, and I think they'll win the divison. If Peyton gets everybody back (even if he still doesn't have Marvin Harrison), they'll still have a good chance to out-score all their opponents in the playoffs.

Although, well, if my Titans win the divison, I certainly won't complain. Peyton already had his Super Bowl championship, after all.
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I like the Titans, but they've got some troubles on D with Albert Haynesworth being out. Even with Indy strugglin with injuries, it'll be tough for them to win the South with the Jags playing well.

The Steelers also seemed like they could do something, but losing to the Jets (and losing Polamalu and Santonio Holmes) definetly hurts. Even fast Willie Parker has a bad hip and couldn't do anything against the Jets - who are terrible against the run.

And speaking of the Jets, there's a big story making it's way around about Jets fans going nuts during halftime in section D, making girls flash, and also sorts of fun craziness. I guess Giants Stadium, politicians, and everyone else is freakin out and looking to crack down on them. Good chance some people will lose their season tickets. They're making Eagles fans seem classy in comparison, which is almost impossible.

Here's an interesting one for everyone who likes to call the Pats cheaters. Apparently Titans security confiscated video cameras during the game Monday IN DENVER from a religious television station that was there to tape the end of game prayer meeting. The reason? Taping their signals. Sounds bizzare, but that's what happend. I guess Shanahan and Fisher are buds, so I don't think he'll be a big crybaby like Mangini.

Here the article, and all it's strangeness.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I guess Shanahan and Fisher are buds, so I don't think he'll be a big crybaby like Mangini.
Why is Mangini a crybaby in all of this? He had inside info that the Patriots' coaching staff was doing something that is against league policy. I'm not going to say that the Patriots are the only team participating in breaking league policy, but because Mangini notified league officials he's a crybaby? What's wrong with wanting all things equal? What's wrong with wanting to be above board?
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Why is Mangini a crybaby in all of this? He had inside info that the Patriots' coaching staff was doing something that is against league policy. I'm not going to say that the Patriots are the only team participating in breaking league policy, but because Mangini notified league officials he's a crybaby? What's wrong with wanting all things equal? What's wrong with wanting to be above board?
Maybe that was my reaction to the “belicheat” comments, but I don’t think the situation was handled well by anyone involved. Crybaby was probably kind of harsh, I guess. The Pats got what they deserved for pulling that crap, and I don’t intend to defend them. Also, I don’t really care to beat-up on Mangini and the Jets, and that shot really wasn’t intended to be taken all that seriously. Plus, at 2-8, he might not be around with the Jets that much longer anyway (a season or two at the most if things keep up). ;)

But, you're right in that Mangini was within his rights to do what he did. Still, it’s not a Pats Only issue, and the league moved to squash things quickly before it became a larger scandal involving more teams. Anything that hurts the perceived integrity of the game is bad, but this wasn’t an isolated problem with just the Pats up to dirty tricks.

Anyway, I do find it kind of funny how he could be complicit with one organization (inside info on the Pats), but then a whistleblower with another. Peter King, from Sports Illustrated, wrote an interesting article about Mangini’s actions, and how they may, or may not, have broken the "code" of NFL coaches while handling things the wrong way.


It’s a good read, even if you don’t like Peter King.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

What Mangini did may have some paint him as a snitch in some circles, but it's a little hypocritical for the Patriots or Belichick to be up in arms about this. What Mangini did may be ruthless, and proves that he has no mercy...but we're talking about a Coach and an Organization with a motto of "Win no matter the cost". The Patriots are obliterating opponents this season, and the only team they didn't wipe the floor with was the Colts. What's more ruthless or no-mercy than going for it on fourth down twice when you're up more than two touchdowns?

I do think the Patriots are running up the score, BUT I think it's the opponents' job to stop them ultimately, so I can't say I have a too much of a problem with it. However, fans shouldn't complain and Belichick shouldn't hold a grudge about someone with no-mercy when they're schooling everyone and running up the score every week.
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Great teams will use whatever they can to motivate them. I'm sure that the incident with the Jets, and a lot of the things being said around the leauge, made it personal, to a certain extent, for the Pats. Belichick would probably never admit it, but there's no denying that they're responding to all the negative remarks out on the field. He can definetly hold a grudge too, but, you really won't be hearing much serious complaining coming from New England. Plus, it's really considered an old issue at this point, and people have moved on for the most part.

But, if you've watched every Pats game, I think the talk of 'runnin up the score' is slightly overblown. Besides making a statement to the entire league, and eveyone else who said they were a tainted organization, there are only one or two teams where I think they'd MAYBE go above and beyond against, but never in a way that would put themselves in jeopardy with injuries, etc...

Things got personal with San Diego last year after that Pats beat them on the road to get to the AFC Championship game. LT had a lot to say about the Pats celebrating, and had even more to say right after the whole scandal went down in week 1 this year. If there ever was a team to run up the score on (besides the Jets), it would've been the Chargers in week 2. But, that didn't happen and they won 38-14. Maybe they wanted to, and couldn't, but the Chargers have been mediocre this year at 5-5.

The next 3 games were never in doubt, but hardly out of the ordinary:

Week 3: 38-7 over Buffalo.
Week 4: 34-13 over Cincinnati.
Week 5: 34-17 over Cleveland.


The Dallas game is where the claims can sort of be looked at seriously. But in fairness, Dallas is a top team (who was at home) that could put up some serious numbers themselves. Week 6: 48-27 over Dallas.

Miami is just plain terrible regardless. Plus, for some strange reason, they always play the Pats tough. So, I think the Pats get a pass on this one. Week 7: 49-28 over Miami.

They definetly did run up the score on Washington. But, there was a good reason. Basically, they treated this game as a practice for Indy the next week, and right or wrong, they wanted to go into the game playing at their peak. No aplogies from the Pats, winning in Week 8: 52-7 over Washington.

Indy is another team they'd probably run things up on, if they could. But they're a great team who almost came out on top. Week 9: 24-20 over indy.

I'll agree that beating up on Buffalo 52-7 coming off the bye week (last week) could be seen as excessive, but it's not like Buffalo is a bad team (they'd put together a few wins before running into the Pats). The Pats had their back-ups in there, and those guys are going to do their best with the little time they get to play. Like you said, it's the other guy's job to stop them.

Anyway, I don't think the Pats are any more guilty of beating teams down then great teams of the past like the 85 Bears, the Denver super bowls teams, or even the Rams when they were the 'greates show on turf.' They've covered the spread 9 out of 10 weeks, which is kind of cool though.

However, I'd say the Jets game in week 15 should be fun, and they probably won't get off easy like they did in week 1, losing to the Pats 38-14.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

My complaint wasn't that they were running up the score, because that's pretty much a fact. And even then, that isn't the main problem with them. They continually go for it on Fourth down when they're up, continuing to throw the ball more often than running it late in the game when they're up big. Like I said before, it's up to the defense to stop them ultimately, but it makes them look foolish, and a target is going to be put on key members of that offense if they continue to rub team's faces in it...and that is just foolishness on the part of Belichick. Right, we know you didn't need to cheat to win, fine...yeah we know most of the teams can't stop you from scoring...run the ball then. Obliterate the other team with your running game, which hasn't been impressive this season...not that it's bad they just never have a chance when Brady throws 50+ times a game. When the season goes on, and it gets colder and the weather's harsher, throwing the ball becomes less effective and that's when the running game gets even more important.

They say they're going for it on fourth down when it doesn't matter, to practice for big games when it might be necessary to do so. How about running the ball when it doesn't matter, to practice for harsher weather? A steady, efficient running game is WAY more important than fourth down efficiency. I'm not saying their running game couldn't be efficient because I have a hard time seriously doubting any aspect of their offense...but stop trying to make excuses Pats fans.
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I don't think you're seeing anyone make excuses or apologize for the run the Pats are on. There is no need too. They absolutely have run up the score on a few teams, including meaningless 4th quarter TDs against Dallas, Washington and Buffalo. I can't tell you why they went for it on fourth down late in the game twice against Buffalo last week, or on previous occasions... But, converting on a fourth down is probably one of the hardest things to do in football. Would it be less insulting for them to kick a field goal when they're up that much? I'm not sure.

To provide some background on the running game as of late, and what happend in Buffalo, they were using fullbacks Kyle Eckel and Heath Evans for a good part of the game since their top 3 running backs are injured (Eckel and Evans both did pretty well, by the way). Maroney left the game with a foot injury (and has been hurt much of the year) and Kevin Faulk left with a head injury. Plus, they lost Sammy Morris earlier in the year. Maroney actually scored the first offensive TD of the game (set up by a Randall Gay interception), and Eckel scored the last offensive TD (1 yd run) for the Pats in the fourth quarter, after they went for it on fourth down. The last touchdown came on a fumble recovery by Ellis Hobbs.

The reason they don't run the ball more is that it hasn't been that effective this year, partly due to injuries, and the passing game has been lights out. Also, in the Buffalo game, there was basically nobody left to run. Sure, guys like Eckel, and other back-ups are going to play the best they can when the get in the game, since they don't get many chances, but there's a reason why modern NFL teams don't rely on fullbacks for their running game. There is some talk of Corey Dillon coming out of retirement, which would give the running game a needed boost. I understand your point about going with the run since it is LESS effective and would keep their high scores down, but it's obviously something they're not willing to do.

Also, there's a target in on Brady's back every week, regardless of the anger other teams (and fans) are feeling towards the Pats. The unsung heros this year are the guys on the O line. Without them, Brady wouldn't have the protection and the time he needs to feed the ball to Moss and Welker. Other teams could be looking to hurt certain players on purpose, no doubt. There would be hell to pay, in any case.

As for the cold weather effecting the passing game, that's true to a certain extent, especially for teams used to playing in a dome like the Colts. The Pats Offensive Coordinator, Josh McDaniels, was talking about this recently, so the cold weather is definetly a factor. The remainder of their games are mostly on the East Coast, so it'll definetly come into play at some point. Having a solid running game would help, but I think Brady has a good amount of experience throwing the ball in the cold and snow. Moss played in a domed stadium in Minnesota, so I'm not sure how it would effect him. I'd guess that he'll be alright in the cold, but I'm not sure.

I can't agree with calling Belichick foolish for not using his banged-up running game more, or for any of his footbal decisions. The man is a lot of things, but foolish is not one of them.

To change the subject to something more positive, do you think the Pats will run the table? Pittsburgh will play them tough, and the Giants on the road (last game of the season) won't be easy, especially with the Giants sack happy defense.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

Less insulting? That's debatable, but there's two things going on when you continuously go for it on fourth down. You either have absolutely no confidence in your defense to be able to stop the opponent's offense, OR you're running up the score.

When I say Pats fans make excuses, it's true in my eyes. Trying to place a reason on how the offense is ran as anything other than Belichick's need for vengeance. This guy somehow feels he still has something to prove after winning three titles since 2001...that's the foolishness I speak of. He seems to be genius and he is most likely the top football mind in the league, and I'm not discounting what he's accomplished.

As a football fan, Patriots games aren't really that fun to watch anymore...well the Eagle game last night was exciting. I don't know.

As far as who'll beat them...as Madden said last night, the Eagles gave every team in the league a blueprint on how to be successful against them. The beginning of the season I would have said the Ravens had a decent chance to beat them, but as my team is 4-7 now...they'll have to be even more impressive than the Eagles were...it is a home game for us, but I don't know if that'll be a difference really.

Up until a few weeks ago I would have said Pittsburgh had a chance too, but they really are a hot and cold team. Hot at home, and cold on the road...Jekyll and Hyde almost.

I've thought the Giants were overrated since the beginning of the season personally. Eli Manning is clearly not consistent enough. That Giant's DL is insane with the pressure they put on QBs, but the secondary is garbage and just can't tackle to save their lives...look what the Vikings did to them yesterday :s The VIKINGS?!?!? The team with NO PASSING GAME....that offense scored what? 41 POINTS or something like that? Great defense? They didn't show up for that game I guess.

So the Patriots might go 16-0, but come playoff time anything can happen. Is it fair to say that anything less than a Super Bowl win is a huge disappointment for the Patriots?
 

MadDog

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
938
Reaction score
88
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Man, that Eagles game was tough. I think it shattered the sense that some Pats fans have that the team is bulletproof. Plus, with Colvin out for the season, things could get interesting.

As for the Madden blueprint comment, I think anyone in the NFL could have told you (before) last Sunday that the way to have a shot against the Pats was to pressure Brady and go after their weakness in the secondary. The trick is going out there and doing it, which the Eagles did, and almost won. Plus, this talk of Brady/blueprints reminds me of the Brady Bunch episode where Greg left Mr. Brady's blueprints on the rollercoaster in Hawai, and then all sorts of ill stuff started happening when Bobby picked up a devil statue on the beach.

The Ravens could have a shot this weekend. Belichick never praises anyone all that much, but they say he's a huge fan of safety Ed Reed. I guess he said that he's better than any two others guys in deep coverage. That's heavy, praise.

Yeah, the Vikings went nuts on Eli Manning. The Giants were also supposed to have a sack party, which didn't happen (I have the Giants D on my fantasy team, so I'm bitter).

I'd say that anything short of a Superbowl victory would be a huge disapointment this season. For some spoiled New England sports fans, a single regular season loss/superbowl victory would be a disapointment. I find this kind of annoying myself, but I can't say I don't enjoy it. I remember the days when the local sports guys on tv would have to have a few drinks to make it through the news.

Also, it's nuts about what happned to Sean Taylor, but sportcenter is being way over the top with the piano music and the somber cuts to commercial.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: The NFL Thread

I'd say anyone has a shot to beat anybody. As a Ravens fan I'm not going to get ahead of myself and think there's a realistic chance that we could beat them though. We've been banged up all season, and I'd say everyone on our defense needs to be healthy, and Todd Heap MUST play. Other than that, I don't think it's realistic.

ESPN being overly-dramatic? Wow...news to me :eyeroll
 
Last edited:
Top