Fall NFL Thread

NeoShweaty

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2006
Messages
1,590
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I got back to school (after i went to go get food) when the colts were down 21-3 and i thought, " another choke for manning" but the second half of the game was something else. From the first drive on, the colts almost looked unstoppable. Credit the pat's offense for keeping pace and for making use of the great field position they got and i almost though brady was going to do it after seeing some of those passes but I feel the same was as venom, im soooo glad Brady is out of the playoffs. I bet GK is happy his prediction came true.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

I would have posted much earlier, but I couldn't get on-line for a few days. I was so damn thrilled.

But yeah, that was a classic game. I mean, I'll admit it, I gave up and went to bed when the Colts were down 21-3. I was so depressed and I was like "ah man, it's happening all over again."

My mom came to wake me up to tell me that they were tied. I was like, "Oh shoot, that's what I get for giving up so soon."

So anyway, I watched the second half, and man, that was MUCH better. Good for Peyton and the Colts.

And Venom, hate to say it but Brady hasn't lost any respect from me. I was still scared stiff that he was going to pull out a win in that last minute. My heart didn't stop racing until he finally threw that interception to Marlon Jackson. Peyton wasn't praying on the sidelines for no reason, y'know.

I think Brady will always continue to scare people when his team's put into that situation, and he's won enough times that I still consider him a great clutch quarterback. I mean, he already had an amazing playoff win this year over the Chargers.

And to boot, he's a pretty nice guy, too. For him to treat Peyton with respect even despite beating him and going to the Super Bowl twice before, and everybody saying Peyton was still the better quarterback, that says a lot about him.

But I am also VERY sick of seeing Brady and the Patriots in the Super Bowl, so I'm thankful this year that's not the case.

Now the question is if Peyton can win a Super Bowl. If he does that, he'll never have to worry about the media ever again.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The NFL Thread

Brady doesn't scare me... but then again Jason Taylor seems to be the magic potion for him! ;)
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Key to beating Brady is just putting pressure on him, pretty much. If your team can do that, Brady will go down. But for some odd reason, no team ever does that when Brady is back there throwing the ball - except for Miami, and now, Indianapolis too. They finally learned that's what they've got to do.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The NFL Thread

Well not many teams have a one man wrecking crew like Jason Taylor. It also helps to have a MLB as good as Zach Thomas having the whole defense ready on every play.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

That's true. And we know that Peyton usually has problems against Miami's defense with Zach Thomas back there, too. Odd that Miami is the kind of team that could potentially beat both the Patriots and Colts, but yet hasn't really lived up to expectations as far as going a long way in the postseason.

You've seen teams with worse offenses get by with their defense in the playoffs.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The NFL Thread

Those teams didn't have game killing QB mistakes though...

Give our D a chance in the post season and I think we could get the job done.
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Okay, so now that I'm "back on duty" here ....

Colts = Love.

I watched the first half of the game with my dad, and by the time it was 21-3, I was extremely depressed. I turned off the tv and got online. Luckily, Venom here was nice enough to tell me not to give up, and lo and behold, Indy made one kickass comeback. Now, I have to say, when it was towards the last quarter and they were going back and forth with who was winning, I got worried. When the Colts scored that last time with only a bit left on the clock, my heart was pounding. I thought Brady was going to pull one out of his ass and the pats would win. As soon as I saw that interception, I damn near cried.


I think now that Peyton's won the AFC and made it to Super Bowl, he'll do okay. I hope >.>
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Venom65437 said:
Those teams didn't have game killing QB mistakes though...

Give our D a chance in the post season and I think we could get the job done.
Good point. Baltimore, New England, and Tampa Bay all had quarterbacks that didn't lose the game for them.

LadyHatake said:
Okay, so now that I'm "back on duty" here ....

Colts = Love.

I watched the first half of the game with my dad, and by the time it was 21-3, I was extremely depressed. I turned off the tv and got online. Luckily, Venom here was nice enough to tell me not to give up, and lo and behold, Indy made one kickass comeback. Now, I have to say, when it was towards the last quarter and they were going back and forth with who was winning, I got worried. When the Colts scored that last time with only a bit left on the clock, my heart was pounding. I thought Brady was going to pull one out of his ass and the pats would win. As soon as I saw that interception, I damn near cried.

I think now that Peyton's won the AFC and made it to Super Bowl, he'll do okay. I hope >.>
Well, the pressure's off. Peyton doesn't have to worry about the media for a while. I think he'll go into the Super Bowl a lot more relaxed. Of course the Bears defense isn't going to make it easy for him.

Since it's a huge worldwide event, I've created a Super Bowl XLI thread.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The NFL Thread

Well, I'm shocked as hell, but Brett Favre has decided to play next year. Of course barring injury this means he will pass my beloved Dan Marino for most TD's all time, but I guess I can take solace in the fact he'll also pass George Blanda for most INTs all time too, LoL.[br]Posted on: February 02, 2007, 08:33:11 PM_________________________________________________You know, I just want to say I don't understand why Favre is coming back. His team was 8-8 last year and just missed the playoffs. Normally I'd say that's a good reason to give it one more shot. That said, the NFC was so incredibly weak last year, I can't imagine the same thing happening again this year. And even with how bad it was last year the Pack had to get hot and go on a 4 game winning streak at the end to even have a shot at the playoffs.

That and Favre, IMO, is clearly slipping. If you read the article you'll notice he was 25th in QB rating last year. That's pretty bad, his number was well below his career average.

As a player who has already done everything there is to do, I don't really understand the motivation behind this, and I think it just puts the Pack ANOTHER year behind in moving on without him. Not to mention it's another year of not knowing what Aaron Rodgers can and can't do.
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Jesus, Brett Favre has been playing since the dawn of time it feels like You're right, Josh, I tihknk it's time for him to move out and give Rogers a chance at it.
 

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
5,054
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: The NFL Thread

So, guys... I asked GK about this but i'm gonna ask again. :D
What do you guys think of that 92 yards return touchdown? :D
I think that guy's almost as fast as Eyeshield 21 and those players that was chasing him is like Agon failing to catch Sena. :D
 

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
6,438
Reaction score
357
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

;_______________________________________________________________________;


I hope he breaks his ankle. Devin Hester should get injured and not be able to play ;________; Damn him.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The NFL Thread

This happened a few days ago, but I'm just now getting around to it. What are your thoughts? Here is the class in case you don't know.

Gene Hickerson, G (1958-1973, Cleveland Browns)
Michael Irvin, WR (1988-1999, Dallas Cowboys)
Bruce Matthews, G,T,C (1983-2001, Houston Oilers, Tennessee Oilers/Titans)
Charlie Sanders, TE (1969-1977, Detroit Lions)
Thurman Thomas, RB (1988-1999, Buffalo Bills, 2000, Miami Dolphins)
Roger Wehrli, CB (1969-1982, St. Louis Cardinals)

First, I don't have a problem with all of these guys getting in, they all deserve it. That includes Michael Irvin.

BUT!! WHERE IN THE HELL IS ART MONK AND BOB KUTCHENBERG?? These two deserve it so much, especially Art Monk. How in the hell do they get left out every year??

I really feel bad for Art Monk. I mean, Cris Carter is up next year, and not too long after him is that Jerry Rice guy who I heard was pretty good.

I still think the HoF is really messed up, but congrats to the newest ones, they all deserve it.
 

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

I don't really have a problem with these choices. I'm especially glad Matthews made it.
 

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The NFL Thread

So just a little story... Pacman Jones has been suspended for the WHOLE '07 season. How do you like that Phil?
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

Yeah, the comissioner issued a stricter "conduct code", with heavier penalties for off field misbehavior. I think it's great for the league. I mean, it's unfortunate that these great players are getting suspended without pay for long periods of time, but from my understanding, pacman Jones has been in trouble with the law at least 10 times in the past year (or something like that). That is totally unacceptable. At the same time, I think the league should offer programs to help players dealing with off-field issues, sort of like a rehab, if they are to stay consistent with the "disciplining" aspect. Well, they probably already have these programs, so if they do, then that's great. These guys are getting paid so much money and the team has invested so much in them, the least they can do is abide by simple to follow rules/conduct.

Anyway, I hope that the players understand what is happening, and learn from this, instead of complaining. This is a discipline issue that is long overdue.

I mean, it's one thing to get in trouble for on-field issues, but it's a totally different matter when you violate the law and endanger the lives of other people. Las Vegas shootings? I mean, it's not like this is a "substance abuse" or a "gambling" problem, this involves "guns", it's ridiculous.
 
Last edited:

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2005
Messages
19,231
Reaction score
1,274
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: The NFL Thread

Eh, I'm not surprised. I mean, Pacman is just a tough case. It's probably for the best, even if it did happen to my team =/ But I would rather get rid of somebody making so much trouble rather than it spread to the rest of the team. I applauded the league when Albert Haynesworth was suspended, I'll have to do the same here. I just wish it wasn't happening to players on my team.

So, the NFL Draft is coming up. Anybody have any idea how it'll turn out? And who do you want your team to pick?
 

miyi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2007
Messages
625
Reaction score
25
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: The NFL Thread

I'm not as avid a football fan as I am with basketball, but I know a few things.

According to mock drafts, the top pick, at least between quarterbacks, are JaMarcus Russell (LSU) and Brady Quinn (Notre Dame).

And then I'm hearing rumors of Troy Smith possibly dropping as low as the third round, after his dismal performance in the BCS title game against the Gators. Which isn't a surprise, afterall I wasn't impressed with him to begin with, all season, an "overrated" QB in a very "overrated" team.

JaMarcus Russell I think is being so hyped up right now, a late bloomer so to speak, just because he played extremely well against Notre Dame in the BCS Bowl Game, beating Quinn (a game I didn't see, btw). I mean, how can you judge a guy after one stellar game, and now all I hear is Russell, everywhere.

It sucks for Quinn, because I think his stock dropped after that loss to LSU. In my opinion he is the best choice at QB in this draft. He has been consistently awesome as a 4 year starter at ND, and I thought he was almost as good as Leinart when they played head-to-head with each other. I don't know, he reminds me a lot like Tom Brady. Hopefully Quinn beats Russell for the top pick.

I don't really pay much attention to other positions aside from QBs and Wide Receivers or Running backs, so I'll stick to what I know.

Other round 1 picks mentioned in Mock Drafts at the moment are:

Adrian Peterson, RB (Oklahoma)
Marshawn Lynch, RB (Cal)

I was afraid Peterson wasn't even going to make top 10 because of his prone to injury, but according to mock drafts, he's currently a possible top 5-ish.

This guy has potential to be as great as Reggie Bush, if it wasn't for his injuries. He's so strong and talented, he reminds me of Marshall Faulk. So I'm glad some teams are willing to risk it on this guy, even though his health is questionable. But how can you pass up this guy? A second runner-up Heisman candidate in just his Freshman year at Oklahoma! Imagine how good he would have been if he was healthy, he could have easily been a Heisman at least once!

Marshawn Lynch is pretty good too, I've followed him ever since he was at Cal. He's somewhat under the radar throughout his collegiate career (probably because the Pac-10 don't get any love), but he has always been among the premier running backs in at least 3 solid seasons. He rushed for over 1000 yards in 2 consecutive seasons, with 17 100-yard games.

The biggest surprise for me is Dwayne Jarret (WR, USC). According to the mock draft, he is in the 2nd round, early 30-ish. I don't understand why he is placed so low. It could be that most teams aren't looking for wide receivers right now, but even so, I can't believe he's not being so sought after. He is probably the most dominant wide receiver I've seen in College Football in the Matt Leinart era. I think of him as a future Terrel Owens, although not as cocky.

If Troy Smith is picked at all, possibly 3rd - 4th round, it might actually benefit him. Just to think of all the starting QB's in the NFL right now, most of them were late rounders.

Oh, although highly unlikely that he'll even get drafted at all, I like Jared Zabransky (QB, Boise State). For some odd reason he reminds me of Kurt Warner (meh, I don't really know much about him to be honest to be making comparisons, except after watching him in that spectacular game against Oklahoma). But this kid can play, and has incredible confidence about him. So hopefully he gets picked up.
 
Last edited:

Venom65437

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: The NFL Thread

I really hope we don't get Quinn... seriously!
 
Top