Seinen Nononono by OKAMOTO Lynn

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
While reading nononono, i realized most of the chapters end in a anti-climatic way... it doesn't necessarily bad. It just that it gives you a "huh, that's it??" feeling. ^___^;

btw, most of the characters are kinda... psychotic. Poor Nono >_>
 
Last edited:

Katsuri

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 1, 2009
Messages
12
Reaction score
1
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom
Really? what about all these intense cliff hangers?
 

c_k

Global Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2007
Messages
904
Reaction score
1,058
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Yup, I can't wait to find out what happens. Although I know they won't reveal Nono's secret, it's interesting to find out what happens. I especially want to see if/when Kishitani confronts Nono about her secret~

As for this latest chapter (flashback about their dad/past), at the end of the chapter, Nono states that her dad lied about one thing. Looking through the chapter, I think the lie might be that her dad no longer has knee pain (p.19) when his mentor/skii jump guide asked him if he still had some. What do other people think?
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Just read chapter 56. This chapter shows exactly why Nono is so desperate to win the gold medal, and because of this chapter, I hope she gets it more than ever.

Those people treated her father terrible just because he made a mistake. I got seriously angry reading it :mad Then the last page of the chapter just made me want to cry :( But now I can understand how her father was acting in previous flashbacks that took place after this event.

I wonder if this is the end of the flashbacks. As much as I've loved them, I hope it is. I want to know what's become of Nono!!
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Chapter 57 is out! A bit brief but a great chapter. Yuusuke transferring his dreams onto Yuuta is a rough thing to see, he's turned into one of those horrible stage fathers. And poor Nono can't even get his attention since she can't compete for gold. It's no wonder she's so determined, she's still fighting for her fathers attention. I guess we knew this already but seeing the flashbacks really drives things home. Unbelievable that anyone can treat little kids that way, what makes it sadder is how realistic it is.
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Well...

It only really gets worse from there...

But the huge flashback is near its end (climax).
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Chapter 58 made me want to cry even more than before, especially the last page. Its inspiring how Nono didn't give up ski jumping even after going through all that. And if it does get worse ^^, I may burst out into tears :(
 

Brid

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Poor, poor Yuuta. He's such an interesting character since he seems to be really perceptive and understands things other characters don't, like how he knew something could go wrong with his father's jump when everyone else thought it was going to go great, and of course how he's known all along about Nono's desperate to desire to jump, even when she tries to hide it. I guess that sensitivity goes along with his being an artist? But really, it's so tragic that his talent as an artist was never appreciated by his father, and especially that he died before being able to pursue it. I mean, having so much potential that his teacher was literally willing to bank on him? That's so much better than being a great ski jumper since paintings, unlike athletics, are things that will last centuries later... :(
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
GOSH! i totally feel sorry for Yuuta and Nono ;____;
I can't imagine the strain they suffered for 10 years. It's even sadder whenever take into account that Yuuta could have been able to paint freely once the father passed away. ;___;
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I know right? Considering what a great life Yuuta could have had as a painter. And it seems like he didn't really start it until middle school too...
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
C-chapter 61 is really not what i expected T______T
So Yuuta is the one who came up with the plan to switch identities! Poor Nono now bear the will of two (short sighted) people T____T *sobs sobs*

nononono is getting better and better (so far)! I am a bit sad it's not more popular.
I would love to see an anime or live action movie for it.

Thank you for bringing this awesome manga into English fandom! :D
Oh since Onemanga is shutting down, can i ask where do you usually upload the latest chapter of Nononono regularly?
 
Last edited:

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Hm, well you can always get the chapters (download) from our forum directly...We're currently working on our own online viewer...

Dunno if I'm allowed to provide links, but yeah, just look up our site.
*shifty eyes*
 
  • Like
Reactions: R4n

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
@ReanaCamellia - the Nononono page at Mangaupdates is pretty useful :amuse

About chapter 61.... wow. So sad! ;______; Poor Nono has had to endure so much!

Not only did she lose her brother to suicide, he also put an even bigger burden on her to win the gold medal than ever. Plus, she had to decide right away to "become" Yuuta. There was no time to for her think or even let it sink in at all. With the way he appears to her at such inopportune moments, it makes me wonder if she even had a chance to grieve properly after his death.

It was also really touching to see Yuuta finally admit his dream of living his life as a painter. It's such a shame he had to hide it from everyone. >_<
 
  • Like
Reactions: R4n

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
Nononono chapter 62: The autopsy revealed the body to be a female? gee, did they make a mistake or there's something deeper?

if TrinityBakuma forum has more activity than this thread, i might move there. It's lonely talking to yourself these few days hahahaha xD
 
Last edited by a moderator:

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Aww don't be lonely XD

I suspect there's something deeper. But shouldn't that go in a spoiler tag? :-|

[goods]Yup. Added spoiler tags ;)[/goods]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
As much as I enjoyed the flashbacks, I'm glad there over because I wanna know how Nono is going to get outta her current predicament. I just don't see how they couldn't have already figured out she's a girl. Unless of course, they decide to play along with her charade and say she's a girl.
 

c_k

Global Moderator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2007
Messages
904
Reaction score
1,058
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I really enjoyed reading the flashbacks and how we learned about why Nono is crossdressing as a guy, aside from the fact that we know that girls can't participate in ski jumping as a sport in the Olympics and we now know that the mangaka didn't just use the crossdressing as a way to get Nono into embarassing situations.

As for this latest chapter, I really can't wait to see what happens. I know that if they ever revealed that Nono was a girl, then the manga would be pretty much over or close to ending since she would no longer be able to continue to participate in ski jumping or she just won the gold medal and the mangaka revealed that she was a girl. However, in this latest chapter (62)...

I have no idea how they'll explain how the recovered body's DNA was a girl's though... And the end of the chapter - it completely makes it look like Kurougi/Kurogi (sp?) found out that Nono is a girl. >_< This mangaka always ends a chapter in a cliffhanger. >_<
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Yeah, the end of chapter 62 has been going under heavy debate no matter where I look :p

But my personal opinion is that:
For some reason they felt the need to fake the report, whether it be they couldn't actually determine the gender due to the condition of the body, or there is a reason they have yet to reveal.
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
The author's note at the end of chapter 63 kinda make me sad.

http://www.onemanga.com/Nononono/63/19/
"sometimes i wonder what i am working toward, and if it's ok for me to become a mangaka instead of working"
What did she mean actually? Did she not value her work? Is she really doesn't get much salary from drawing manga? :(:(
To be honest i really enjoyed nononono and i feel that what she did have meaning.
I wish nononono would be more popular. How popular is it in Japan?
 

cookie_on_fire

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
14
Age
37
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Just so you know, Okamoto is a he ;)
His real Japanese name is Rin.

I think I read it somewhere that he used to be a salaryman before becoming a mangaka?
 
Top