On Break One Piece Chapter 1001 Discussion

Pirate Queen

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm glad to see some rivalry between Killer and Zoro. I always new they were basically equivalent fighters.

With Zoro needing Enma's training to get this far, I wonder what Killer had to do (training wise) to keep up.

I am curious to see what Kidd's robot looks like. That just seems exciting.
Law providing the support as expected and Luffy being acknowledged by the World's Strongest makes for a powerful chapter.

We can actually do threads like Luffy vs Old Whitebeard now... which was unheard of 2 weeks ago.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bare in mind that Whitebeard though Roger was childish for thinking he could find the greatest treasure in the world. It wasn't called One Piece in Roger's era, but the idea of pursuing such treasure was deemed as fantasy, and thus childish.
Wait, Whitebeard called Roger childish when ROger said the same words Luffy said, which doesnt have to be the greatest treasure in the world.

Pandora

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
If Luffy is gonna get closer to his goal of becoming pirate king after defeating Kaido in this arc. Then, Zoro will get closer to his goal of defeating Mihawk and becoming the greatest swordsman in the world. But, I doubt he will play as big of a role as Luffy in defeating Kaido. In fact, I feel like Law, Kid, Killer and Zoro will be Luffy’s back up more than anything else cause in the end it’s Luffy who will be pirate king, it will be up to him to defeat the strongest guys. I can’t wait for Kid to start backing up Luffy after he just laughed at Law for obeying his orders, cause that’s where this is going.

It is still amazing that big mom seems to still be underestimating Luffy while even Kaido is starting to acknowledge him. After, he made her look like a fool and he even defeated her strongest commander.

Though, I still have a hard time picturing how they are going to defeat him, but Kaido is going down for sure and we still don’t know if Akainu will be sending marines their way or if big mom’s crew will join the fray or will they be sidelined because big mom won’t go down in this arc and there is still Blackbeard and Luffy’s fleet will they make their debut now, as Luffy’s underlings or not ? There is still the possibility that the fight in Wano might turn into a full scale war if all these people join the fray.

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
My friend at worst gen said that someone revealed the shillouettes and Shanks is one of the shillouettes alongside Oden, Wb, Roger, and Rock.

🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰

Hope this is true

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
My friend at worst gen said that someone revealed the shillouettes and Shanks is one of the shillouettes alongside Oden, Wb, Roger, and Rock.

🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰

Hope this is true
worst gen friend? You friends with BB????

Shanks silhouette does make sense, perhaps it'll lead to the flashback before Marinfold when Kaido tried to attack

O_n_Sly

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Shanks silhouette does make sense, perhaps it'll lead to the flashback before Marinfold when Kaido tried to attack
Shanks included does not make sense at all! The others are all dead!, if Shanks is included then why not Big Mom!?
Maybe Mihawk's silhouette should be included as well, b/c I've been told by some in here that the Worlds Greatest Swordsman is on the same level as Kaidou!

Melmoth

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
It's about charisma. We don't know much of Rocks, but from what we've seen, Roger, Newgate and Shanks are formidable leaders. Unlike himself - who rule by strenght, Big Mom - who rules by fear, Mihawk - who's a loner.

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bare in mind that Whitebeard though Roger was childish for thinking he could find the greatest treasure in the world. It wasn't called One Piece in Roger's era, but the idea of pursuing such treasure was deemed as fantasy, and thus childish.

Rocks was interested in the Poneglyph, but he never quite achieved it since Whitebeard (a former Rocks Pirate) himself never really acknowledged it meaning Rocks never made as much progress. We can conclude that Rocks never knew what the One Piece was.

Roger also didn't lack the courage to expose the secrets entailed in One Piece.
  • Let's not forget Roger was deemed evil by the world, hated by everyone and regarded as the devil due to propaganda by the WG.
  • Would the world trust the truth coming from someone they'd deem a liar? It would be like trusting Trump whom the majority view as a liar and everything evil under the sun.
  • A liar telling the truth will still be received as lying.
With that said, Roger had to leave the One Piece for people fit to fulfil the prophecy and carry it out. That's why Luffy being perceived as a Hero is important.

He goes everywhere, saves them, gets seen as a hero and a good guy no matter how much propaganda the WG try to besmirch him with. That's why when Luffy finds One Piece and reveals the secret... the world would happily fight beside him to take down the WG whereas if Roger had attempted to reveal the truth... it'd be deemed a lie.

People still in One Piece do not believe the treasure exists. Bellamy laughed at the idea of Skypiea and One Piece exist. The whole world think this too. Only few people have the courage to say they'll find the One Piece because it's a goal that gets people laughed at.
Yeah, I'm not arguing that he knew what One Piece was. He probably didn't even know how to achieve One Piece. It seems like only the Roger Pirates who went to Raftel would know that, and possibly Whitebeard since he had that chat about the Will of D with Roger.

I mostly just mean that our perspective of Rocks is pretty narrow at the moment with such limited information. He seems like a mixed bag. On one hand Whitebeard is a noble warrior who wouldn't harm an innocent person (I think?) and even protects whole countries without taking much in return and he was following Rocks. On the other hand we have Kaido who is about to drop an island onto a populated capital, and runs a massive weapons operation with slaves, and Linlin who is basically like a cut-throat mob-boss. Could be that Rocks just happened to be strong enough to wrangle people in, good or bad.

The only narrative we have on Rocks is from Sengoku, who was a proponent for Ace's public execution based mostly on lineage.

The OP world is pretty unjust.

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shanks included does not make sense at all! The others are all dead!, if Shanks is included then why not Big Mom!?
Maybe Mihawk's silhouette should be included as well, b/c I've been told by some in here that the Worlds Greatest Swordsman is on the same level as Kaidou!
The summary indicated the shillouettes appear as he is acknowledging Luffy as someone capable of fighting him. At some point he must have fought all the people in the shilouette. We know he encounters Shanks 2 years ago, so it shouldn't be a surprise. Its not a confirmed spoilers tho. Just something I was told. I've been given wrong info before, but I checked WG and its in their spoiler section so idk.

Mihawk being on the same level as Kaido is baseless. And Mihawk wouldn't even fight Kaido. He isn't a swordsman.

The spoiler providers are huge sword bois(Zoro/Mihawk fans) so I am not shocked they purposely excluded his shilouette appearing. IF this is true.

Moegara

堂島の龍 / Dōjima no Ryū
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I agree with the first line. Why Shanks and not BM? The silhouettes seem to be reminding him of dead strong people exclusively. If not, Rayleigh and Big Mom would be included, among possibly others like Akainu.

It can't even be a reference to the Marineford incident. Shanks stopped Kaido back then but it was heavily hinted that he did so without directly engaging him in a fight, since Kaido gained no scars and, most importantly, Shanks reached Marineford in top shape, and so did his commanders.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Wait, Whitebeard called Roger childish when ROger said the same words Luffy said, which doesnt have to be the greatest treasure in the world.
Well, Whitebeard called Roger childish for saying he'll find the greatest treasure... it's the only thing he called childish.
It's no different to kids saying they'll be the biggest in the world or this or that in the world... best whatever in the world. Kids tend to always say things about being or qualifying things by the standard of the world... it's a childish thing that is common.

Therefore, what Luffy said must be similar because it's what Roger said... and it's the thing they have in common. That's what Shanks is referring to when saying he said the same thing as Roger.

One Piece is viewed as a joke... a myth... a fantasy in the OPverse. As Kid himself said... people laughed at him for saying he'll find the One Piece.

Bellamy laughed at Luffy for saying Skypiea exists and he likened it to the idea One Piece exists.

It's what Ace told Yamato not to laugh at... but it's the very thing Roger said which is why Yamato said the Pirate King said the same thing.

In the OPverse... saying One Piece exists or will be found would be similar to saying "I'm going to find actual gold at the end of a rainbow"... it would come off as childish and rightly so.

Do you know how old Luffy was in this panel? I know you do, but just to emphasise my point... he's 17. Do you see how he even says he's not sure it exists? No one really does... only Roger's crew found the treasure. People think it's a myth.
  • Roger became Pirate King 24 years before this (currently 26 years ago), yet people still don't think GREATEST TREASURE exists
  • Even before Roger found GREATEST TREASURE dating longer than 26 years ago... people still didn't think it existed as WB pointed out as being a childish idea.
The world still doesn't think this treasure exists... thus it's childish. We see Luffy say he'll find One Piece, and we think it's not an absurd thing to say... it is... it's something very few people can openly say without feeling shame.

It has to be treasure because that's literally the only thing that was stated by Roger that was called Childish... and it was also the thing that Oden was dumbfounded by.

Best real world example would be that area 51 is holding aliens and one's going to go to Area 51 and find these aliens and alien technology. People would think such a person was absolutely insane especially if they dedicated and risked their lives to thing this.

Looking for One Piece is literally no different to the idea area 51 or some conspiracy theory out there is true. It's thought of as childish, crazy, etc.

O_n_Sly

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's about charisma. We don't know much of Rocks, but from what we've seen, Roger, Newgate and Shanks are formidable leaders. Unlike himself - who rule by strenght, Big Mom - who rules by fear, Mihawk - who's a loner.
To be honest I'm fine with how Big Mom rules. She keeps it all in the family, protected Fish Man Island only for a ginormous amount of candy. Whole Cake Island is nothing like Dressrosa, Wano.

Kaidou is all about fear and strength.

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
It can't even be a reference to the Marineford incident. Shanks stopped Kaido back then but it was heavily hinted that he did so without directly engaging him in a fight,
The correct translation was "skirmish" which implies a sort of physical altercation
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

IT'S CONFRIMED! SHANKS HYPE

😍🤩😍🤩😍🤩

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't say anything about any dialogue.
No. But you said it was implied Shanks didn't directly engage him, correct?

Well the word used to describe their engagement was "Skirmish"

Skirmish implies a physical altercation. So it could very well mean they did fight eachother... if not then, then certainly at some point as the spoilers were confirmed.

Moegara

堂島の龍 / Dōjima no Ryū
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Spain
No. But you said it was implied Shanks didn't directly engage him, correct?

Well the word used to describe their engagement was "Skirmish"

Skirmish implies a physical altercation. So it could very well mean they did fight eachother... if not then, then certainly at some point as the spoilers were confirmed.
At some other time it's possible, but that it happened back at that scene is highly unlikely for the reasons I mentioned and you disregarded. Two pirate crews can have a skirmish without their leaders personally engaging.

Of course Shanks needs to present a menace for Kaido to step down, so at some point in time Shanks must have made Kaido respect his strength in one way or another.

Now the question is why these people and not the likes of BM. What do they have in common that she doesn't? The ultimate form of CoA? Is BM not on his level in his mind?

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
At some other time it's possible, but that it happened back at that scene is highly unlikely for the reasons I mentioned and you disregarded. Two pirate crews can have a skirmish without their leaders personally engaging.

Of course Shanks needs to present a menace for Kaido to step down, so at some point in time Shanks must have made Kaido respect his strength in one way or another.
I didn't disregard it, but Shanks has never seemed to be the captain that let's his subordinates fight while standing back. He seems to be more like Luffy.

I could never imagine Luffy standing back and sending his crew out to fight without dirtying his hands as well.

Now the question is why these people and not the likes of BM. What do they have in common that she doesn't? The ultimate form of CoA? Is BM not on his level in his mind?
Maybe because she is present? Thats a good question, but I happen to think Shanks is stronger than Big Mom so my response is biased for now.

Moegara

堂島の龍 / Dōjima no Ryū
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I didn't disregard it, but Shanks has never seemed to be the captain that let's his subordinates fight while standing back. He seems to be more like Luffy.

I could never imagine Luffy standing back and sending his crew out to fight without dirtying his hands as well.
Then what would be the implication? It's one thing for Kaido to decide it's not worth it to fight Shanks before going after Whitebeard, but it's a different thing if he actually thought he could just do that and yet suddenly changed his mind after actually starting fighting him before Shanks or any of his commanders took any form of damage.

The first thing looks kind of wise, the second one makes him look like an out of character coward, given how he chases death at the hands of someone that strong.

Maybe because she is present? Thats a good question, but I happen to think Shanks is stronger than Big Mom so my response is biased for now.
It might be just as simple as that; she being present.

Shanks could be stronger than BM but as a Yonko she should definitely be one of the people able to damage Kaido.

I can understand Blackbeard not being there. Kaido may not have fought him yet in these two years.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
The correct translation was "skirmish" which implies a sort of physical altercation

IT'S CONFRIMED! SHANKS HYPE

😍🤩😍🤩😍🤩
This is something I said in the past, but somehow, Kaido was built as untouchable.

As you said, skirmish implies altercation, so they most definitely fought.

Someone like Kaido isn't someone you send back home without force. He's not a reasonable person.

Kaido's goal was to fight Whitebeard and it's likely he knew fighting Shanks wouldn't draw to a quick conclusion. In essence, even if he defeated Shanks hypothetically, he wouldn't get the chance to fight WB with the aid of the Navy... or rather, exploit the chance of opposing WB with multiple forces. This would mean he might as well just return to Onigashima.

By the time he'd done fighting Shanks if they went all out, the war between WB and the Navy would have been over. His pursuit for WB would be pointless as Shanks wouldn't be an easy fight.

More so, we're told that Kaido went after WB because that was the only opportunity anyone had to kill him. WB was the main force stopping the Emperors from becoming Pirate King. WB was known as the ruler of the sea while he was alive. It's why his death was so necessary in order for anyone else to be Pirate King after Roger.

At the very least, we know they did skirmish as the translation said... a brief fight. Skirmish is just a small fight, but it does speak volumes about Shanks.

AmitDS

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
Surprise surprise. Killer wasn't at full power when he was Kamazo and is Zoro's rival in this fight. Who could have ever seen that coming? Lol.