On Break One Piece Chapter 1016 Discussion

Ēsu Taichou

Penguin Overlord
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
If you haven't seen the goodies yet, check here: Spoiler Pics and Summaries Thread.

24 Hour Spoiler Rule
  • MangaHelpers enforces a temporary blockade for discussion of new spoilers/chapters outside of chapter threads. This blockade ends 24 hours after an English Edited Manga is publicly released.
  • Posting discussion regarding a recently released chapter outside this thread must be kept within tags until 24 hours have passed after the chapter's release.
  • Please also be considerate when creating discussion threads during this spoiler time. We ask that any posts made within this period be spoiler tagged and that the thread title not be a dead giveaway to chapter events. The staff team will adjust these threads if and when needed.
  • Please wait 24 hours before using art from new chapters in signatures and avatars or posting any art based on new chapters on the forum.
  • The 24-hour rule will be strictly enforced. This is a common courtesy. However, not every member reads spoilers, and not everyone can read new chapters as soon as they are released, so please adhere to them. Failure to do so may result in the removal of your post.
  • Remain on topic, do not discuss topics that could derail the thread from the current chapter discussion. Instead, search the forum for other appropriate thread or use the Mega Convo thread.
  • No Zoro v Sanji debates; these will be deleted unless it is relevant to the chapter. This will be strictly enforced.
  • Forum rules and etiquette is applied as normal.

A$APBog

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I think it's kind of unfair weird but I surely prefered the portrayal/prestation of Usopp here compared to Nami. The way she's getting Zeus is kind of weird and I can't count her fight with Ulti as an enjoyable moment. Not as much as I originally wanted to.

So if it was the match-up of Nami, it's insanely underwhelming.

Whereas Usopp did not finished Ulti or Page One, tanking a headbutt of Ulti is far more impressive than getting a random power-up and show his actual resilience and capturing Bao Huang is actually a subtle but huge advantage they just took on Kaidou.

Bao Huang had a huge impact on the moral of the samurai/Beast Pirates and was giving a lot of precious intel.

Catching her is a move which could turn to be crucial in the late/end game.

The beginning of the chapter was actually cool till Onigashima.

I'm kind of afraid that Brook/Robin vs. BM is going to be ruined to but let's see I guess

wing_gundam

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Oh interesting I didn't see that in the spoilers - so Zeus v2 has given the climatact 2 powers: self-directed hits and physical strength. It looked like armament haki from the little cottonball. Giving Nami extra power-ups although Ulti was a monster tank. Geez.

Zmsp

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
After realizing that Bao Huang was captured by Usopp/Nami out of chance, and not neglecting the possibility that she still escapes, and taking into account that Sanji pretty much has his enemy decided, I'm reminded that this settles the debate on the Sanji crying for help chapter.

There was no plan. We pretty much spent one entire chapter transitioning Sanji and Robin's matchup, while making the character look like a complete idiot, and nothing was gained from it.

I'll have to add that one to the head scratching moments this arc has given us.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Weird way for Nami to get a new powerup, but it's whatever. Not many ways for her to get stronger given her fighting style. Usopp with the save, as usual!

Either Yamato got one-shot, or they're in trouble. Interesting

aster4jaden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well that about settles the Yamato joining discussion.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I'm hoping she does join, but this Manga always has twists and turns so we have to wait and see. I can't wait to see what Yamato can do against Kaido, hopefully she's inherited her daddy's everything.

Vanshrimp

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
The clear winner here is nami as she got a Zeus "plugin" for her toy. Chopper has no opponent, (otherwise i would say we will see him for three next chapter till next break...). So my prediction, we see chopper doing his medics job, for a last time, and most of next chapter will then be focused on Franky. I do hope he will finish the job till next break.

Last edited:

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
The clear winner here is nami as she got a Zeus "plugin" for her toy. Chopper has no opponent, (otherwise i would say we will see him for three next chapter till next break...). So my prediction, we see chopper doing his medics job, for a last time, and most of next chapter will then be focused on Franky. I do hope he will finish the job till next break.
Right, time to focus on individual fights, interspersed with luffy and the Heart pirates saving Momo/Shinobu, and making their way to the battle. Give us at least a chapter of each SH fighting Oda!

Aki1991

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
Chapter was better than the spoilers hinted. Yamato is awesome. Zeus is op tbh, it is like cheating for Nami. But what happens, if big mom dies? Strange power up.

Federicoxxx

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
So.. there are 2 Bao huang.. or maybe one
but the one informing CP0 is like a "Human Mary" so she can use it on humans too..
cause botj are different people

2) Bao huang seems to have a kind of
respirator or device on her chin?
i belief so..

3) so CP0 is definitly IN the castle..
is not like they r on a ship or another place

Last edited:

Ellenate

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not many ways for her to get stronger given her fighting style.

She didn't even need a power up. For what she was working with, her feats in pre were absurd. Armed only with a stick that blew hot/cold bubbles, she was able to take down high level members of both the wg, and of a warlord's crew.

Her style of fighting just requires thinking but the timeskip is incapable of such writing- so now she has zeus and no longer needs to think.

In comparison to her pre-self nami is an idiot.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
One bit I did like about the chapter... The wano festival honors the dead and they light up big ass fires so that the dead can see from above... And kaido is currently moving onigashima to crush everyone on wano. Which will cover the sky.... From which the dead are supposed to be watching. This bit works weirdly well.

The other bit that stands out is tama finally gave an order... So the messed up nature of kaido's shitty crew is going to finally show. Queen lost kaido the pleasures and waiters. And now even more importantly tama is about to give an order. Pretty much the entirety of the gifters will turn on kaido, which is actually more significant than the pleasures and waiters turning. Surely the remaining numbers, topo robi and headliners still make a stronger force than what kaido has lost but... As of now the beast pirates are pretty much almost gone. Going forward the game is this: Either the beast pirates eviscerate tama OR they are doomed. Even if kaido wins the war if he doesn't get his gifters back he won't even be worth counting among the yonko. We are at a point where the battle will likely be at it's most desperate for both sides.

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Chapter was better than the spoilers hinted. Yamato is awesome. Zeus is op tbh, it is like cheating for Nami. But what happens, if big mom dies? Strange power up.
This panel seems to hint at the possibility that souls can stay alive without Big Mom.
Zeus being surprised Big Mom is alive implies he thought she may have died. One would think Zeus being alive would be why he knew Big Mom was alive, but he seems genuinely surprised.

Although, one may question what happened to Mother Carmel's version of Prometheus (Pandora), but it seems she created him briefly and never actually had an entourage of protective homies like Big Mom has with Zeus (now Hera) and Prometheus as bodyguards.
It seems she only created them to perform miracles then had then killed them to make it look really miraculous and the work of god... having them follow her around may have made it obvious she had a Devil fruit.

I checked other translations of chapter 1011 where Zeus states this, and the same translation was made. Perhaps, if someone that can speak Japanese gets the raw and can translate what Zeus said as different... then maybe that will provide better insight.

fallou

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I think it's kind of unfair weird but I surely prefered the portrayal/prestation of Usopp here compared to Nami. The way she's getting Zeus is kind of weird and I can't count her fight with Ulti as an enjoyable moment. Not as much as I originally wanted to.

So if it was the match-up of Nami, it's insanely underwhelming.

Whereas Usopp did not finished Ulti or Page One, tanking a headbutt of Ulti is far more impressive than getting a random power-up and show his actual resilience and capturing Bao Huang is actually a subtle but huge advantage they just took on Kaidou.

Bao Huang had a huge impact on the moral of the samurai/Beast Pirates and was giving a lot of precious intel.

Catching her is a move which could turn to be crucial in the late/end game.

The beginning of the chapter was actually cool till Onigashima.

I'm kind of afraid that Brook/Robin vs. BM is going to be ruined to but let's see I guess
I think it's still a substantial power up for Nami.
I always tend to compare the crew as they are to the badass way the WB alliance was introduced during the Marineford arc and how well they held their own at the time...
And I think right now Nami would carry her own weight and be able to survive and do damage and not be a hindrance. That's really all you can ask, she's the navigator, not a fighter. But as a navigator, let's remember that any Yonkou would probably be thrilled with having someone so skilled in their crew...

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
One bit I did like about the chapter... The wano festival honors the dead and they light up big ass fires so that the dead can see from above... And kaido is currently moving onigashima to crush everyone on wano. Which will cover the sky.... From which the dead are supposed to be watching. This bit works weirdly well.

The other bit that stands out is tama finally gave an order... So the messed up nature of kaido's shitty crew is going to finally show. Queen lost kaido the pleasures and waiters. And now even more importantly tama is about to give an order. Pretty much the entirety of the gifters will turn on kaido, which is actually more significant than the pleasures and waiters turning. Surely the remaining numbers, topo robi and headliners still make a stronger force than what kaido has lost but... As of now the beast pirates are pretty much almost gone. Going forward the game is this: Either the beast pirates eviscerate tama OR they are doomed. Even if kaido wins the war if he doesn't get his gifters back he won't even be worth counting among the yonko. We are at a point where the battle will likely be at it's most desperate for both sides.
There were supposedly just over 500 SMILE according to Law, then 2 days later, SMILE were destroyed, so there shouldn't be much more than 500 especially given that only 10% of people that eat SMILE obtain powers. A thousand fruits should only bare 100 users.
With that said, Tama's orders should only increase the number of the SH alliance by ~500, but that's still a huge power-up given a SMILE user is probably many times stronger than the average fighter. Headliners and just general SMILE users are still quite strong after all.

Once the SMILE users ally with the SHs, I guess Kaido's side is irrelevant even if he has 10,000 men on his side because they'll be fodder. It'd be a matter of quality over quantity.

Once the Tobiroppo are down and all the All-stars are defeated... even if Kaido is left with 15,000 men, he's done for.

Then take into account once Kaido's men see they're losing, will they stay by his side?

Then the Samurai who actually dislike Kaido and Orochi... once they see Momonosuke and Hyogoro, the most important figures in Wano are still there and fighting, some Samurai may feel like changing sides out of shame for following Kaido and Orochi out of fear. Loss of morale and the possibility of Wano returning to what it was over 2 decades ago? Kaido might literally have no one on his side very soon.

Kaido's fighting a losing battle.

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kaido seems to think Momo died. Guess he doesn't know what Shinobu's DF is. It's a safe assumption she didn't just suicide them both. Lol
Talk about some optimism from our villain here.

I'm hoping she does join, but this Manga always has twists and turns so we have to wait and see. I can't wait to see what Yamato can do against Kaido, hopefully she's inherited her daddy's everything.
Yeah, who knows. There's always a chance to be wrong but I feel like it's pretty low at this point. Yamato would probably have to die, and I don't see Oda killing off a busty, attractive female incarnation of Oden. It feels more like when Jinbei held off Big Mom, and said he'd meet Luffy in Wano, but people speculated that maybe he died for years between that scene and him showing up before Onigashima. She's in a precarious situation but I doubt Kaido is going to kill her at this point.

My guess is that Zeus is her forever weapon for the duration of whatever amount of Big Mom's life he equals to. Big Mom has drained peoples' life spans in full, and used those souls to make homies. Her power feels similar to Gecko Moriah, where he stated that even if he dies the shadows won't just all be released. It's just a guess though.

Since Oda obviously isn't going to eviscerate an 8 year old, Kaido is surely just going to take this loss of his forces. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Kaido gets "repelled" from Wano, but survives, and is still a nuisance that needs to be dealt with. Perhaps he's storing the Road Poneglyph somewhere else. It'd be a good way to set up an actual shorter-arc where each SH member gets a pure 1v1 to show off some growth. At this point I have no reason to see OP ending within 5 years (considering Wano is going on 3 and no end in sight / fights are barely starting). Common saying in my field (this is related to Oda saying OP is 80% done or whatever) is that the last 10% of work takes 90% of the time.

Oh interesting I didn't see that in the spoilers - so Zeus v2 has given the climatact 2 powers: self-directed hits and physical strength. It looked like armament haki from the little cottonball. Giving Nami extra power-ups although Ulti was a monster tank. Geez.
Not to be technical, but I think that the coloration of Zeus is more related to going from regular-cloud to storm-cloud, and not related to Haki.

There were supposedly just over 500 SMILE according to Law, then 2 days later, SMILE were destroyed, so there shouldn't be much more than 500 especially given that only 10% of people that eat SMILE obtain powers. A thousand fruits should only bare 100 users.
With that said, Tama's orders should only increase the number of the SH alliance by ~500, but that's still a huge power-up given a SMILE user is probably many times stronger than the average fighter. Headliners and just general SMILE users are still quite strong after all.

Once the SMILE users ally with the SHs, I guess Kaido's side is irrelevant even if he has 10,000 men on his side because they'll be fodder. It'd be a matter of quality over quantity.

Once the Tobiroppo are down and all the All-stars are defeated... even if Kaido is left with 15,000 men, he's done for.

Then take into account once Kaido's men see they're losing, will they stay by his side?

Then the Samurai who actually dislike Kaido and Orochi... once they see Momonosuke and Hyogoro, the most important figures in Wano are still there and fighting, some Samurai may feel like changing sides out of shame for following Kaido and Orochi out of fear. Loss of morale and the possibility of Wano returning to what it was over 2 decades ago? Kaido might literally have no one on his side very soon.

With how numbers work in OP I'm dumbfounded that CP0 gives them any relevance at all. Only number that should matter is "strong fighters". From the FI chapter, 100,000 vs 10, Luffy "takes out" 50k in a haki flex. Surely some of Kaido's forces could have been dealt with the same way. No clue why he didn't do that.

I like to assume that SMILE users are probably equal to 10 or so pleasures / waiters in most cases, otherwise Kaido probably wouldn't of been so obsessed with the SMILE trade. I still wonder why Doflamingo, who wanted to be Pirate King, and had plenty of fodder troops, gave Kaido the SMILES instead of using them to strengthen his own forces. Makes me wonder if there's even more to the SMILE's possible weaknesses that we just haven't discovered.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Since Oda obviously isn't going to eviscerate an 8 year old, Kaido is surely just going to take this loss of his forces. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Kaido gets "repelled" from Wano, but survives, and is still a nuisance that needs to be dealt with. Perhaps he's storing the Road Poneglyph somewhere else. It'd be a good way to set up an actual shorter-arc where each SH member gets a pure 1v1 to show off some growth. At this point I have no reason to see OP ending within 5 years (considering Wano is going on 3 and no end in sight / fights are barely starting). Common saying in my field (this is related to Oda saying OP is 80% done or whatever) is that the last 10% of work takes 90% of the time.
Pretty much. But the important part here will be protecting tama from the remaining loyal forces kaido has. Tama as of now is the single most important asset in the war. The only option kaido has to salvage his crew as a whole is to kill her. Anything less than that and even if he wins the war his crew will be reduced to shambles. He will be easy pickings for other yonko. Which is quite inconvenient when you have big mom and her officers lurking right around the corner. Let alone the other yonko and marines biding their time, waiting for a show of weakness.

That's pretty much the gist of it. Add to that, those 500 smile users are actually the result of decades of work. That's the basket with all the eggs. The elite army he was building to win the arms race against the other yonko. It's improbable tama got to every smile user in the war but as far as I can tell once she gives her orders kaido will have the following left:

2.5 calamities. Since jack is pretty much running on fumes. Of course, jack is a monster so even on fumes he is a big player in the war.
3 topo robi. Since page one has been taken out like a chump repeatedly. Drake bailed kaido's crew immediately. And ulti is probably finally down.
Headliners. However many. Not sure of how many there were to begin with but it's unlikely tama got all of them. Even if she got only 10 out of rough... say 50? That's still A LOT.
IIRC... about 4-5 numbers? Numbers are worth more than most militia on size alone, it takes named characters to take them out. So while so far they aren't comprable to anything between YC1 and YC10, they are still a huge threat to the militia samurai and the forces enslaved by tama.

Kaido is not yet defeated and even if his armies fall he might be enough to take out every one of his enemies. But at a minimum we are but moments away from kaido's ambitions to be destroyed. Once tama makes her move kaido will start losing smile users by the minute. Not long after that he simply has already lost the yonko arms race. And with a very much weakened crew you still have big mom's forces lurking around.. And big mom's crew has officers for days, unlike kaido's...

That said, I am extremely curious as to how kaido will react when he realizes how much he has already lost and how much more he can lose. The look in his face when he realizes he isn't actually winning... It's definitely going to be a new turning point in the war.

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty much. But the important part here will be protecting tama from the remaining loyal forces kaido has. Tama as of now is the single most important asset in the war. The only option kaido has to salvage his crew as a whole is to kill her. Anything less than that and even if he wins the war his crew will be reduced to shambles. He will be easy pickings for other yonko. Which is quite inconvenient when you have big mom and her officers lurking right around the corner. Let alone the other yonko and marines biding their time, waiting for a show of weakness.
I'm still holding out for a moment where the Big Mom Pirates finally show up, and see two toppled Yonko and the whole of Kaido's crew reduced to nothing, and decide to turn tail and run. Doubt it'll happen but if Luffy does actually end up beating Kaido somehow in this, then I could see some situation where even if he's nearly defeated, he absolutely just terrifies the whole of the BMP, standing over a defeated Kaido.

Something to the effect of Kidd and Law standing over a defeated BM, Luffy over a defeated Kaido, and all of the all-stars / tobiroppo defeated as well.

I get the feeling something huge is planned for the end of this arc. There are a number of things that are up in the air - Weeble is looking for Marco and Luffy, so he could potentially show up (though, how he'd navigate the treacherous waters would be a question in and of itself). CP0 is present and while they're doing some war-time book-keeping, I could see them calling for some reinforcements to the area to clear out the remainder (they did say they wanted Luffy and Kaido to demolish each other) with the WG. Big Mom Pirates are a big unknown.

Also, each of the Grand Fleet has a piece of Luffy's vivre card. When Ace was handcuffed in Impel Down his card was dwindling to almost nothing. Luffy has been defeated here a few times, and his card should be fluctuating quite a bit. It'd be interesting if the Grand Fleet actually showed up to deal with some of the aftermath since Kaido and BM aren't the ONLY enemies here. It's not like they beat Kaido and BM and everything is happy-go-lucky.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
So.. there are 2 Bao huang.. or maybe one
but the one informing CP0 is like a "Human Mary" so she can use it on humans too..
cause botj are different people

2) Bao huang seems to have a kind of
respirator or device on her chin?
i belief so..

3) so CP0 is definitly IN the castle..
is not like they r on a ship or another place

CP0 is in the guest quarters of the castle. Look at pg 14 of here and you see it potentially overlooks the stage area. They are with the biwa player lady who has one of the papers on their face (there are like 3 of them that are people) and a whole bunch that are animals/cyborgs. The paper I think is some ninja based technique or DF that hasn't been revealed yet ( I lean towards ninja arts).

Diivil

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Although, one may question what happened to Mother Carmel's version of Prometheus (Pandora), but it seems she created him briefly and never actually had an entourage of protective homies like Big Mom has with Zeus (now Hera) and Prometheus as bodyguards.
I forget but, was Pandora only shown in the scene it was created in? Or was it shown again after the fact?

What I mean is, is the general assumption that Pandora had its soul reclaimed by Mother Caramel? (Before she died) or did it transfer to Big Meme and then became/got named changed to Prometheus instead of Pandora

Because if your theory about the homies existing even after Big Meme dies, obviously the homies will have complete free will to do what they want, but then what happens?

1) The homies remain, they also retain their strength.
2) The homies remain, but they lose a lot of their strength.

3) The homies remain, if someone eats the fruits, then they can tame/control Big Meme's homies, but their strength scales to that of the new user.
4) The homies remain, if someone eats the fruits, then they can tame/control Big Meme's homies, and the homies also retain their original strength from when they were created.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think now that they've announced both defeats, they're down for the count. In a way, I think sometimes when the Manga itself makes the proclamation, it sort of makes it official, at least in this context.

My issue with it is, Nami didn't defeat either, Big Mom did. Nami's more or less just making use of Big Mom's power.

More so, I guess she is injured as Zeus pointed out, maybe being in the Hybrid form requires more energy and takes up more despite the fact it improves speed, recovery, etc.

For me, the bigger issue is that it points out the big issue (pun unintended) being Big Mom's role in Wano. She's literally being used to weaken Kaido. Why she's even being stalled by Law and Kid seems ridiculous too... Jimbei and Luffy couldn't do it at WCI, but I guess the context in that situation was to run away, not stall.
I feel like Big Mom's role in this arc was so unnecessary, and it's just more apparent. What has she really done this arc?
  1. Defeated 2 of the 6 Tobiroppo.
  2. Given Nami a power-up.
She's literally been deadweight to Kaido and even a detriment to Kaido. I wish she was doing this purposely and actually trying to weaken Kaido, and simply pretending to be on his side. This would be the only way to redeem Big Mom in my eyes. She's not done a single thing that has helped Kaido in any shape or form other than take Kid and Law out the way which in itself is the only good thing she's done for him.
However, even if that's the case, it brings up the issue that is Kaido actually wanted to ally with Big Mom because he's realised the WG now have the power to defeat the Emperors, so he actually does need this alliance and likewise, so does she. Why would she sabotage her best chance to be Pirate King?

Big Mom so far... is the biggest mistake of this arc.

In another way, maybe it's because Luffy is supposed to defeat Kaido that Big Mom is here. To give the other Supernova something to do that equally kind of makes them relevant as the alternative would be:
  • Kid and Law would literally have to be defeated by Kaido in order to justify Luffy's 1 on 1.
Law having to let Luffy defeat Joker already sort of makes him look bad. Perhaps, this is his way of redeeming them, in which case... Law and Kid would have to at the very least, deter Big Mom enough to leave the battlefield or downright defeat her.
Also, the outcome of Big Mom's role here might not just be based on Kid and Law being able to stop her from advancing, but maybe now that Usopp has control of Bao Huang, news could come that suggests she's better off just leaving this war... more so if Perospero is defeated and it makes the news. Big Mom might see she's got more to lose than to gain by staying with Kaido in this alliance.

I guess there might still be room for redemption of Big Mom's role as long as Kid and Law can have their status elevated as they've only taken Ls since they came to the New World.

Maybe this arc can still be redeemed. I'll give it a chance and see how things develop before I completely make my conclusions regarding this arc.
Big Mom has been wasted on this arc. Her sole purpose so far is an ally more than enemy and that started before this battle. Without her they'd all still likely be in Udon. She took down some opponents and now gave Nami a power up.

Would have been better and more believable if all the supernova ganged up on Kaido alone and Luffy was the only one to make it through and end the battle. That would have done Kaido justice as far as strength, and made the point of Luffy being special. Oda could have dealt with Big Mom quickly in another arc, where Luffy gets to prove himself yonko level on his own. Since her story would have been covered by this point, he could have skipped the narrative and went straight into battle like on Elbalf or Fishman island where it would be SH vs BM pirates. Def a missed opportunity.