On Break One Piece Chapter 1016 Discussion

Ēsu Taichou

Penguin Overlord
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
If you haven't seen the goodies yet, check here: Spoiler Pics and Summaries Thread.

24 Hour Spoiler Rule
  • MangaHelpers enforces a temporary blockade for discussion of new spoilers/chapters outside of chapter threads. This blockade ends 24 hours after an English Edited Manga is publicly released.
  • Posting discussion regarding a recently released chapter outside this thread must be kept within tags until 24 hours have passed after the chapter's release.
  • Please also be considerate when creating discussion threads during this spoiler time. We ask that any posts made within this period be spoiler tagged and that the thread title not be a dead giveaway to chapter events. The staff team will adjust these threads if and when needed.
  • Please wait 24 hours before using art from new chapters in signatures and avatars or posting any art based on new chapters on the forum.
  • The 24-hour rule will be strictly enforced. This is a common courtesy. However, not every member reads spoilers, and not everyone can read new chapters as soon as they are released, so please adhere to them. Failure to do so may result in the removal of your post.
  • Remain on topic, do not discuss topics that could derail the thread from the current chapter discussion. Instead, search the forum for other appropriate thread or use the Mega Convo thread.
  • No Zoro v Sanji debates; these will be deleted unless it is relevant to the chapter. This will be strictly enforced.
  • Forum rules and etiquette is applied as normal.

Demonspeed

Nature is calling!
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
"Annoying sentient weapon" Yes exactly...

P1 got knocked out by Big Mom's Advanced CoC while he was in Zoan mode while Ulti was in Zoan. I have been thinking about this for a while, can't Big Mom infuse CoA/CoC in her Homies? She should, right? Another case of CIS I guess.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Zoan awakening: Oda is going to have to get clever about what zoan awakening actually does, because as far as we know it's literally the same buffs as ancient zoan. How much more durable and regenerative and stamina hoarding can a class of superpower actually get before it's obvious that it's just a stalling mechanism for the plot to play out?

I love the DF magic system, and even don't have that much problem with haki (less than I should, anyway). But if Kaidou and his Calamities use awakening and it's literally just an HP/defense/attack boost I don't even know. One thing I know for sure is, that when they use their awakenings they BETTER look just as goofy as the Impel Down jailors that are our only unit of measurement for zoan awakening.
As long as they get the job done... The Beast Pirates have been very underwhelming.

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
P1 got knocked out by Big Mom's Advanced CoC while he was in Zoan mode while Ulti was in Zoan. I have been thinking about this for a while, can't Big Mom infuse CoA/CoC in her Homies? She should, right? Another case of CIS I guess.
It should only be possible for physical things, so at best, Napoleon can be infused with Haki, but Hera and Prometheus shouldn't be able to take on Haki infusion.

Pelikan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Ghana
Great, next is P1 to also make a comeback. All Zoans are doing it,beven non DF users. 🤦‍♂️ Ultis return seems cheap to me especially since it was just to display what Nami's new Zeus fused weapon can do.

Also, when is Sogeking making an appearance, it's been too long (pre-TS).

Now, on the discussion of the duration of fights, isn't it possible that they take rests in-between fights, especially when they are at a stalemate? just like the giants fights that a volcanic eruption is the signal to fight after which they take a break until the next eruption

Elessar

Telcontar
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I'm okay with the Tobi Roppos taking so much damage before staying down. That's what the dinosaur zoans were hyped for: abnormal resilience and probably some regeneration. And on top of that these are New World top tiers we're talking about, so that durability should be even higher than for normal users of those fruits.

I have more of a problem with the Scabbards getting up time and time again or with Zoro getting healed as if he hadn't just been beaten to a pulp. But I won't complain too much about him. If I get to enjoy a good Zoro vs King I'm cool with it.

Windfall Island

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Bao Huang's anouncement mode staying on is just like someone forgetting to mute himself during zoom meeting.

Izo,Kawamatsu & Denjiro are now the only ones whose matchups/role still remain to be decided + neko & shishilian are yet to confront perespero.
Fall of Onigashima should happen right after these ^^ final remaining matchups are done.

Hopefully Act 3 ends then & there & we get to move on to "Will the man with red hair finally make his move " etc kind of stuffs (like Oda hinted).

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Ulti getting back up after being hit by a raging Big Mom attack is really ridiculous.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Final panel is a red flag. Kaido's going to town... possibly torture her until Luffy arrives because she's just said something that she shouldn't know. How does she know Oden was waiting for someone?

Kaido's surprised, the ellipsis at the end seems to suggest so imo.

It hints she has some knowledge of the One Piece lore... he was disappointed he couldn't get any info from the scabbards.
If the scabbards didn't have the information he wanted, and he thinks his daughter does? I think she will get beaten to a pulp.

I think if this does happen, and she's being tortured by Kaido in front of Luffy... Luffy will grow terribly angry at the fact a father is mistreating his daughter. This is the potential setup to that... More so if Momonosuke meets Luffy, and Momo informs Luffy that Yamato is almost dead.

ShishiSonson

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Nice chapter.
So it was Bao informing CP0 nothing more.

20.000 vs 7.000. Zoro alone is able to take down 20.000 men like he said last chapter xD

P1 and Ulti are doing for. I mean for a while. They will come back, like did Jack.

Break next week -_-

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
P1 and Ulti are doing for. I mean for a while. They will come back, like did Jack.
Yet ?

But enough, at this point this arc will end in 2035

HereNThere

Call Me Lumberjack...
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gotta, say, not a fan of this conclusion for Ulti and Page One.

Feels so unceremonious for both. Unlike some apparently, I fully expected Ulti and Page One to jump back into the fray. Their entire game of tag through Onigashima wwas bbasically one big set up.

But Page One still hasn't got up and has been, apparently, put down for the count, leaving Usopp with no fight potentially. His only hope is taking down the long forgotten remaining Numbers (along with Chopper potentially). And Ulti doesn't even get the honors of being last page finished. She taken out mid chapter with a regular named Thunderbolt. Not even Thunderbolt Zeus Tempo. It feels luck that she got a spread for her defeat. She didn't even go out in her hybrid form.

I hope the remaining Flying Six get a bit more respect.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Gotta, say, not a fan of this conclusion for Ulti and Page One.

Feels so unceremonious for both. Unlike some apparently, I fully expected Ulti and Page One to jump back into the fray. Their entire game of tag through Onigashima wwas bbasically one big set up.

But Page One still hasn't got up and has been, apparently, put down for the count, leaving Usopp with no fight potentially. His only hope is taking down the long forgotten remaining Numbers (along with Chopper potentially). And Ulti doesn't even get the honors of being last page finished. She taken out mid chapter with a regular named Thunderbolt. Not even Thunderbolt Zeus Tempo. It feels luck that she got a spread for her defeat. She didn't even go out in her hybrid form.

I hope the remaining Flying Six get a bit more respect.
I think now that they've announced both defeats, they're down for the count. In a way, I think sometimes when the Manga itself makes the proclamation, it sort of makes it official, at least in this context.

My issue with it is, Nami didn't defeat either, Big Mom did. Nami's more or less just making use of Big Mom's power.

More so, I guess she is injured as Zeus pointed out, maybe being in the Hybrid form requires more energy and takes up more despite the fact it improves speed, recovery, etc.

For me, the bigger issue is that it points out the big issue (pun unintended) being Big Mom's role in Wano. She's literally being used to weaken Kaido. Why she's even being stalled by Law and Kid seems ridiculous too... Jimbei and Luffy couldn't do it at WCI, but I guess the context in that situation was to run away, not stall.
I feel like Big Mom's role in this arc was so unnecessary, and it's just more apparent. What has she really done this arc?
  1. Defeated 2 of the 6 Tobiroppo.
  2. Given Nami a power-up.
She's literally been deadweight to Kaido and even a detriment to Kaido. I wish she was doing this purposely and actually trying to weaken Kaido, and simply pretending to be on his side. This would be the only way to redeem Big Mom in my eyes. She's not done a single thing that has helped Kaido in any shape or form other than take Kid and Law out the way which in itself is the only good thing she's done for him.
However, even if that's the case, it brings up the issue that is Kaido actually wanted to ally with Big Mom because he's realised the WG now have the power to defeat the Emperors, so he actually does need this alliance and likewise, so does she. Why would she sabotage her best chance to be Pirate King?

Big Mom so far... is the biggest mistake of this arc.

In another way, maybe it's because Luffy is supposed to defeat Kaido that Big Mom is here. To give the other Supernova something to do that equally kind of makes them relevant as the alternative would be:
  • Kid and Law would literally have to be defeated by Kaido in order to justify Luffy's 1 on 1.
Law having to let Luffy defeat Joker already sort of makes him look bad. Perhaps, this is his way of redeeming them, in which case... Law and Kid would have to at the very least, deter Big Mom enough to leave the battlefield or downright defeat her.
Also, the outcome of Big Mom's role here might not just be based on Kid and Law being able to stop her from advancing, but maybe now that Usopp has control of Bao Huang, news could come that suggests she's better off just leaving this war... more so if Perospero is defeated and it makes the news. Big Mom might see she's got more to lose than to gain by staying with Kaido in this alliance.

I guess there might still be room for redemption of Big Mom's role as long as Kid and Law can have their status elevated as they've only taken Ls since they came to the New World.

Maybe this arc can still be redeemed. I'll give it a chance and see how things develop before I completely make my conclusions regarding this arc.

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sanji and Zoro used to be comparable as fighters till about fishman island , think Oda has abandoned that

Hmmm don’t think there’s proof of that , kaido was a seasoned seasoned vet at this point , he was already at his prime or mighty close to it , he was in his 30s
One piece primes seems to be from 30s to 50s with your decline starting around 60s to 80s ( except big mum but she has an abnormal body ) , maybe his haki and DF skills would have improved ( even tho at point kaido had 15-20 years with his fruit already ) but his raw stats like strength speed durability would have peaked there
And there’s no proof that Rayleigh at his strongest is as poweful current kaido , captains and heads seem to be the strongest dudes in the manga , and Rayleigh really hasn’t had a title that declares as the strongest (man/creature/swordsman etc )
Oda clearly hasn't abandoned it though. They've kept being referenced together, fighting top guys together, and now they'll beat Vice commanders together. Oda really just abandoned showing the SH's fight in general post time skip, but Zoro/Sanji as Luffy's near equal best fighters hasn't really changed at all.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

So for what we were asking about yesterday, CP0 seems to be getting their info from Boa Huang, so that now makes sense how they seem to be able to "see" the battle so accurately.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I love the gag of Zeus hating the name Nami gave him seconds after she did it lol. "Give me a new name.." "cotton"... "I'm Zeus"

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oda: “Making Nami strong is hard. She needs a new kind of weapon to compete in the New World”
Oda’s staff: “What kind of weapon Oda-sensei?!”
Oda: “I was thinking something like that Thor character”
Oda’s staff: “Ah so Mjolnor”
Oda: “No, I said Thor. Her weapon will literally just be Thor”

Nami is basically top tier now because her weapon is literally Enel if he could transform into a spiked club.

Pro Ban Corps

Reaction score
Country
England
Nami be having longer baths with Zeus now 😪

on a more serious note. Ussop capturing Bao Hang means Morale can be boosted massively because she was just about to cap and say Momo is dead to kill morale.

Yamato, will surprise Kaido, but we know Kaido is a monster. By the time Luffy returns we’ll see bloodied Yamato like Law at Dresseossa and incoming G5

thedude

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think now that they've announced both defeats, they're down for the count. In a way, I think sometimes when the Manga itself makes the proclamation, it sort of makes it official, at least in this context.

My issue with it is, Nami didn't defeat either, Big Mom did. Nami's more or less just making use of Big Mom's power.

More so, I guess she is injured as Zeus pointed out, maybe being in the Hybrid form requires more energy and takes up more despite the fact it improves speed, recovery, etc.

For me, the bigger issue is that it points out the big issue (pun unintended) being Big Mom's role in Wano. She's literally being used to weaken Kaido. Why she's even being stalled by Law and Kid seems ridiculous too... Jimbei and Luffy couldn't do it at WCI, but I guess the context in that situation was to run away, not stall.
I feel like Big Mom's role in this arc was so unnecessary, and it's just more apparent. What has she really done this arc?
She's literally been deadweight to Kaido and even a detriment to Kaido. I wish she was doing this purposely and actually trying to weaken Kaido, and simply pretending to be on his side. This would be the only way to redeem Big Mom in my eyes. She's not done a single thing that has helped Kaido in any shape or form other than take Kid and Law out the way which in itself is the only good thing she's done for him.
However, even if that's the case, it brings up the issue that is Kaido actually wanted to ally with Big Mom because he's realised the WG now have the power to defeat the Emperors, so he actually does need this alliance and likewise, so does she. Why would she sabotage her best chance to be Pirate King?

In another way, maybe it's because Luffy is supposed to defeat Kaido that Big Mom is here. To give the other Supernova something to do that equally kind of makes them relevant as the alternative would be:
  • Kid and Law would literally have to be defeated by Kaido in order to justify Luffy's 1 on 1.
Law having to let Luffy defeat Joker already sort of makes him look bad. Perhaps, this is his way of redeeming them, in which case... Law and Kid would have to at the very least, deter Big Mom enough to leave the battlefield or downright defeat her.
Also, the outcome of Big Mom's role here might not just be based on Kid and Law being able to stop her from advancing, but maybe now that Usopp has control of Bao Huang, news could come that suggests she's better off just leaving this war... more so if Perospero is defeated and it makes the news. Big Mom might see she's got more to lose than to gain by staying with Kaido in this alliance.

I guess there might still be room for redemption of Big Mom's role as long as Kid and Law can have their status elevated as they've only taken Ls since they came to the New World.

Maybe this arc can still be redeemed. I'll give it a chance and see how things develop before I completely make my conclusions regarding this arc.
I think BM is really here for 1 reason - You aren't having another BM arc, and Law/Kidd are going to be the White Beards to Luffy's Roger. So having her lose here, to those two, while Luffy defeats Kaido, kills 2 birds with 1 stone (or arc in this case).

neomaster121

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I have to disagree
her role against luffy zoro law kid and killer was important
Without her Zoro would not be out for the count. He took on her lightning bolt and her combined attack with kaido

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I have to disagree
her role against luffy zoro law kid and killer was important
Without her Zoro would not be out for the count. He took on her lightning bolt and her combined attack with kaido
Not really, it's a matter of writing creativity.

If that's the only reason she was needed was to help Kaido break Zoro's bones, then that's pretty much bad writing. Kaido on his own could have done that and more if he wanted to. He was merely playing with the Supernova and the only person he's taken seriously was Luffy after he started using King's Haki.

There's nothing she's done so far that makes her absolutely necessary. There's zilch she's done that Kaido couldn't do.

Kaido alone could have wiped out all 5 Supernova and more so if Luffy never developed King's Haki.

Kaido's pretty much capable of shitting on all the Supernova bar Luffy.

Not too long ago, he took out Kid, Killer and Hawkins... Another Emperor definitely isn't necessary to take out 2 additional people, her role isn't absolutely necessary.

You literally said her role is important because...
Without her Zoro would not be out for the count.
Absolutely wrong.

What has Big Mom done that makes her presence important? Literally nothing.
  1. She's not done anything Kaido can't do alone.
  2. She's not done anything the alliance couldn't have done with some teamwork.
  3. She's taking victories that other characters could have been given; Ulti and Page1 could have been defeated with teamwork.
  4. She's weakened Kaido for no good reason... taking out 2 Tobiroppo.
She's at this point just a bad plot device. It's difficult to justify her presence in this arc for any important reason. Hell... Weevil would have been a better candidate to play this role of the saboteur.

Last edited:

FirenX

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Final panel is a red flag. Kaido's going to town... possibly torture her until Luffy arrives because she's just said something that she shouldn't know. How does she know Oden was waiting for someone?

Kaido's surprised, the ellipsis at the end seems to suggest so imo.

It hints she has some knowledge of the One Piece lore... he was disappointed he couldn't get any info from the scabbards.
If the scabbards didn't have the information he wanted, and he thinks his daughter does? I think she will get beaten to a pulp.

I think if this does happen, and she's being tortured by Kaido in front of Luffy... Luffy will grow terribly angry at the fact a father is mistreating his daughter. This is the potential setup to that... More so if Momonosuke meets Luffy, and Momo informs Luffy that Yamato is almost dead.
I can`t exactly explain it or prove it, but I somehow get the weird feeling that Yamato`s sole purpose in the Story is to be the key for Luffy to defeat Kaido by dying and therefore helping Luffy to reach his breaking Point and reaching something new (maybe Awakening or something CoC-related)

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I can`t exactly explain it or prove it, but I somehow get the weird feeling that Yamato`s sole purpose in the Story is to be the key for Luffy to defeat Kaido by dying and therefore helping Luffy to reach his breaking Point and reaching something new (maybe Awakening or something CoC-related)
Can't see her dying... Oda's awful at killing, but I do think she could help with a power-up for sure.

Yamato also has a fan base now I suppose... she's asked to join the crew, she's got boobs... she's the perfect avenue for new merchandise and she was ranked highly in the popularity vote iirc. I don't think Oda would want to kill her.

I do think it's more likely she's just beaten incredibly bad and that will spur Luffy on some more.

At worst, she might come close to death, but I personally can't see her dying.

Only person I see definitely dying would be Kanjuro, I don't think he can be redeemed and I think a death would be fitting for his character.

Foukun

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
A lot of chapters were lost on the whole Ulti/Page one and Nami/Ussop that it feels this is it for them for this arc.

I Hope I’m wrong because what we saw of them was just running and more running.
Even this chapter, finishing half dead ulti is not exactly an achievement.

Hope Oda has more of store for them though unlikely

I’m all-in for Yamato to be part of the crew as she is characters wise can bring new dynamic to the gang