1. We Never Learn, U19, Demon Prince Poro's Diaries, Hungry Marie, Dr. Stone, Robot x Laserbeam. Tell us what you think of the newest additions to the WSJ line-up HERE!
  2. The new season of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. The Waifu Wars 2017 are over. Time for applause!
  4. This web comic needs more readers. So what are you waiting for? Read :D.
  5. Congratulations Jammin & Purity of Magi for winning the Manhwa Freestyle contest!, and well done to the other participants!.

New Week, New Contest!
    Time to get coloring! The theme is Pets Coloring.

Voting has begun for the Flower Banner contest!.
  6. The very first Manga Wars have begun! Nominate your Manga now!
  7. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
In case you've missed it, Mangahelpers is recruiting new Moderators/News Writers. If you're interested, please read HERE for more information.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Chapter One Piece Chapter 878 Discussion / 879 Predictions

Discussion in 'Tree of Knowledge' started by Aizen, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Aizen

Aizen Chair-Sama

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Mangahelper

United States
    Good chapter this week of OP. I was happy to see that Pedro does, in fact, seem dead, or at least I hope so since that would be terrible otherwise. Not sure what Carrot thought she was gonna do there, but I guess props for her spirit. Finally, we get setup for the final battle of the arc, presumably in Luffy vs Katakuri. I could have done without another battle to cap it off in the interest of moving on, but I do think this battle has the potential to be really solid as well. So I guess we shall see how it goes in the next few weeks.

2. Organizized

Organizized Registered User

Sweden
    So Perospero survived.. lost an arm though. And he's left with an incredible enraged and crazed Big Mom who's already pissed off at him. So you never know if he really ultimately survived I guess. :tem

That ending was pretty cool.. First time in a long while we've had Luffy in a true one-on-one situation.

Seraph likes this.
  3. mp3

mp3 Registered User

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner

Philippines
    it's a color practicing, it's my first time making my own lineart too so I'm not aware of the positioning, and don't have any critic. I have corrected it though it's already late MS already uploaded it online. Hehehe. I'll take the anatomy details and the positioning perspective of items in their body more seriously when I create another one in the future. Thank you for noticing it.
    https://img00.deviantart.net/ebe2/i..._of_the_rain_by_coolestempeethree-dbkykon.png

4. Barrier

Barrier Registered User

United Kingdom
    I am curious! Do you check all of the One Piece community, find negative comments and make an account to reply back? If so, I find that impressive.

Anyway, it is good art, apart from the sheathes. No matter how you look at it, the sheathes are coming out from a bad position.

TrueRaiKage and mp3 like this.
  5. Hannibal Psyche

Hannibal Psyche Registered User

United Kingdom
    I can understand speaking from a realistic point. If this were any character, I'd totally agree. Thing is this is the protagonist, every benefit of the doubt will be placed on him because, plot. Big Mom was hurt this arc and she's getting weaker as the time flies by. I'm not putting off the possibility Luffy will grow stronger. We're told the SHs grow stronger every-time they encounter and survive harsh situations. We're even told that Ace was known to grow stronger during and after fights, we saw how Zoro grew facing off against Mr.1, so I really cannot put it past Luffy defeating Big Mom especially now she's weakened while he still grows.

Sanji is saved the way I see it, he's free. He's with Pudding and Chiffon. Rabiyan is seemingly as fast as Zeus going by how quickly she was able to get from Capone to the forest within i don't even know, seconds? No one should be disturbing Pudding since they'd want her to bake the case, so in that department, everything should be fine, Sanji should be safe. All they have to do is make the Cake, and offer it to Big Mom before catching up with the rest of the SHs.

As long as Luffy defeats Katakuri which I believe he will do, he still has Brulee. All that's needed to traverse the mirrors is contact with Brulee and we know how the Mirror world works, ask what you want of the mirrors and they tell you the mirror you're looking for that's associated with the location or person in search of.

The arc actually progresses with Big Mom's defeat:
    1. They can actually go to Wano with Jimbei without fretting over Big Mom doing anything at Fishman Island.
    2. It means the SH's Jolly Roger can actually be raised on Fishman Island to deter pirates and it'd work because these are people who just took down an Emperor.
    3. Kaido ridiculed the Supernova as playing Pirates, news of her downfall would mean Kaido wouldn't take the SHs as a non-factor, but an actual threat raising the stakes for Wano. People always make the excuse "SHs won because they were underestimated", that won't be the case anymore (and it's never been in my opinion).
    4. With Big Mom's character, she never takes responsibilities for her own failures which is where Pudding likely comes if if she's defeat (which I believe is inevitable). It will be in the best interest of the BM Pirates to keep this event a secret and put blame on someone else because Big Mom would hold her own children responsible.
    Just escaping leaves Fishman Island in danger, it leaves the SH's families in danger. It holds Wano back and stops Jimbei from joining the SHs. The implications it has on Jimbei is, his entire life's work is brought to nought as being a waste of time and it makes his obsession as Luffy as future Pirate King to the Sun Pirates redundant because his decision to leave the BM Pirates just to come under attack from them makes him and Luffy look foolish. The reason Jimbei even agreed to this was likely because he thought the assassination plan could work. The consequences for her being undefeated are way too dire, to me, it's no different to being stuck in the Birdcage - defeat (purely escaping) means death and victory means progress.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Enima, Barrier and Seraph like this.
  6. Brandish

Brandish Good Vibrations

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted

Global Moderator

Australia
    So much hype at the end for Luffy vs Katakuri. Luffy will need to bring the heat for this. I gotta wonder what Luffy's exit strategy is.

And Idk how tf he was able to stop Katakuri like that. I presume Katakuri saw a future where Luffy did something drastic... so he just gave in.

Solid chapter. It's near certain Carrot joins the crew along with Jinbe.

TrueRaiKage and SoulAuron like this.
  7. mp3

mp3 Registered User

Philippines
    No. I'm just a reader here for a long time now, but yeah I just decided to create one so I can thank him properly. I might just go in the shadow again and read all the discussions here. I love your discussions here and I'm amazed of all the good theory for One Piece that I have read here.
    I see, maybe that thing really needs a proper remake on that part and need some time. I have so much to consider. Thanks,

PS. This is the only forum I joined. Believe it or not.

8. Junior

Junior Registered User

The Wall
    As my post was above yours, IDK if mine could be included in that assessment.

I don't want Luffy to lose. I'm tired of seeing him locked up and getting his ass handed to him. Yet Luffy, despite being the protagonist, is only one cog in the story -- albeit a rather large cog. Sanji is still on the island and he's making the blasted cake. The only way to calm Big Mom would be to make a cake that's everything she imagined it would be.

If Luffy wins I can't see how the story moves from there. It feels like he almost has to go back to the island in order to retrieve Sanji but there's no way in hell the BM Pirates don't have that entire island on lock down. Escaping, a second time, would be neigh impossible.

Which puts everything on the cake, brev. Everything is riding on Sanji's shoulders and we're not only talking about Luffy and Sanji. Sanji's family is on the island too, as well as Pudding (who's screwed) and the ugly chick that's married to Bege.

There could be an instance where Luffy wins, goes to save Sanji but Sanji refuses to go without finishing the cake. The cake is Sanji's "boss battle" and he never really gets a chance to take out the last baddie. This would effectively be Sanji beating Big Mom..in a roundabout way.

So, I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say this: there's no Mayweather-esque viewing experience over here. I don't watch/read OP for Luffy to lose but I recognize that losing/getting beaten can assist in advancing key plot points.[/QUOTE]
    I see your reasoning as well. I didn't even factor in Jinbei's arc in regard to this and your argument is pretty compelling. Yet I disagree with Sanji being "free" as he's currently in Big Mom's territory making the cake. If he fails, he will be eaten/killed -- I believe this is pretty fair to say. For the sake of Sanji's character arc, I am hinging all of this on how this cake turns out. This is his moment and I believe the story has to give him a win here...even if it's just with a cake.

I'm still stuck on the how portion of all of this though and I'm looking forward to see how Oda wraps this all up while keeping it everything somewhat rational -- which I'm sure he will manage to do.

Monkey.D.Bowes likes this.
  9. luffy10

luffy10 Registered User

Pakistan
    Luffy just snapped. That last page was very good and that glare from luffy suggests he has gone deadly serious for the first time in this arc. That is the same face he made when luffy saved law from dofla and when their COA clashed. I think Pedro was handled very well, the flashback about Nox pirates was good and it enhanced his character even further. Also Peros alive and well was to be expected, he is basically the 5th strongest after the commanders, but that about candy armor was confusing. Does this mean that this appearance of Peros is basically an armor or did he really lose an arm?. All in all a solid chapter.

10. Zehahaha

Zehahaha Registered User

Morocco
    Oda needs to get his shit together with Katakuri's power, not even a Logia would take on those hits like that..
    But amazing chapter ! I am so happy he'll fight Katakuri (not BM but I would be happy with Luffy bringing down two commanders), let's get this shit started ! Also fairly confident Pedro is not dead yet for some reason

11. yoshidr

yoshidr Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

United States
    HOLY MOTHER$$$ :gwah I cant believe LUFFY finally put his pants on and started acting like a real captain. IT is just sad that Pedro had to make that kind of move in order for Luffy to take the situation seriously. If Pedro happens to be dead Carrot has to join the SH to fulfill his wish and help Luffy, I can't see her going back to Zou after escaping. On another note I wish Pero would of had taken more damage, one of the arms isn't enough for me and knowing his DF ability he can just use his candy power to make a new one. This chapter was worth the wait I just hope Oda doesn't troll us and switch scenes.

12. Eigengrau

Eigengrau Registered User

The Wall
    That's probably what's gonna happen though, just like with the Cracker fight.

It's necessary.

TrueRaiKage likes this.
  13. kkck

kkck MH Senpai

神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike

Galactic Empire
    I have to wonder as well, is there a reason from luffy's perspective to do what he just did? Stay behind in the mirror world? Right now the strawhats are at least temporarily beyond big mom's reach. And while they lost Pedro, they still have jinbe, brook as people that could possibly injure katakuri. Jinbe with his haki and water and brook with his chill. Nami, chopper and carrot can potentially be useful. With that in mind, why was this a good idea for luffy? He could have just broken the mirror and then the entire crew could have taken katakuri on. It's not complex logic even for luffy. Does luffy have another plan? Katakuri is a monster and by any logic the strongest person there, by far. However being in the middle of the ocean is advantageous if they have jinbe there. Jinbe while in the ocean taking an admiral class fighter is not a stretch.

Seraph, SoulAuron and roggie like this.
  14. sarutobi_sensei

sarutobi_sensei Registered User

Portugal
    I have to say this was quite a good chapter. Needless to say that Pedro is not dead yet, though he did help them achieve their goal of helping them escape. Without him, Chopper, Brook and Sunny would be dead / destroyed.

I found it quite amazing that Big Mom tried to eat the Sunny as well.

Considering that Chiffon, Sanji and Pudding are still making the cake, and Luffy being "safe" for now inside the mirror world, we can assume that Luffy and Bege will go on the same ship to some location that will eventually make them again fight together in Wano or at least make them frenemies for a time being. Their alliance was just valid for the Big Mom fight so I'm pretty sure that after they deliver Luffy and Sanji to where they should be, they'll go on their way.

As for the scene of Luffy and Katakuri, that was really amazing. I have to say I was really excited to see that moment. Now Luffy can go all out. I'm sure that he'll end up using Gear 4th wiith probably a mix of Red Hawk or something to make the mochi-man hard. While the water dissolves it, heat will probably end up breaking it.

Well, at least we'll have a chapter next week and that's really good. Hopefully Chiffon and the rest will come back soon with the damn wedding cake.

This also makes me wonder if they'll eat the cake together? I mean, Big Mom is hating on Luffy right now, and Perospero just lost an arm, the castle is destroyed (not their fault though) and there was the whole: lets try to kill big mom plan. So it's unlikely they'll end up having a banquet afterwards? Unless the marines just casually stroll in there since CP0 is there as well.

Additional to that the Vinsmokes are still there right? I can't remember the last time we saw them to be honest, but they will also end up paying back to Luffy and Sanji.

Overall, it was a really good chapter to read.

Enima and Seraph like this.
  15. Vanshrimp

Vanshrimp Registered User

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member

Kingdom of Fiore
    nice chapter, and glad that the fight will take place under such conditions (no 3rd party help, no possible interventions.....just a good old 1vs1.....) that way, luffy really has the chance to get some powerups....(the right way)

16. Holt

Holt GodMode

Global Moderator

Nigeria
    It only took Pedro's death for Luffy to get serious and act like the captain he should. It's great he is finally going to fight Katakuri. I'm rather tired of the latter being so smug albeit warranted. It would be tough certainly, but Luffy seems enraged enough for this so he certainly won't be messing around. I also loved how luffy immediately knocked out the BMP as he got in. I don't want luffy struggling too much here. This will make the second Commander he'd be taking down. He's bound to have a very tough fight, but I'd rather it wasn't one where he is getting tossed around so much and struggles very much.

Enima likes this.
  17. Hannibal Psyche

Hannibal Psyche Registered User

United Kingdom
    Sanji will be killed no matter how good the cake is, remember she wants the Germa army and that requires killing all Vinsmokes. The Germa army are genetically engineered to follow the orders of the Vinsmokes which is why she needed Sanji killed as well as the entire family.

The Cake is supposed to be delivered on a boat, so whether or not he fails in the cooking department, it will only mean Big Mom will still be in a rampage while if the taste is satisfactory, she'll come back to I guess what we can call sanity? Lol.. Once she's sane, she'll still remember everything and the SHs will be back where they left off before the castle fell in Big Mom's mind, people who need to be executed.

Also, Sanji is as free as the situation allows. He could be on the Sunny right now, but by his own will has chosen to make this cake. He's not taken hostage, he's simply working with Pudding and Chiffon. It's not like he's hostage, so I really do not see any problem. Sanji can easily get back to the Sunny via Pudding's carpet, Rabiyan. That carpet is extremely fast.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017, Original Post Date: Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Personally, if I were Luffy, I'd find Cracker a bigger threat than Katakuri. We saw Luffy already grip Katakuri implying (as far as we know) that Hardened Armament is all that's needed to really make contact with Katakuri and finally hurt him. There's nothing complex about Katakuri and in the heat of battle, Observation Haki won't be of use.

Cracker is a much more difficult opponent to deal with:
    1. Creates an army that is superior to G2 and G3 - Katakuri doesn't seem anymore superior to G2 and has been restrained by G3.
    2. These clones are infinite.
    3. It makes getting to Cracker extremely difficult.
    4. His ability simply eats away at your stamina.
    5. Cracker himself doesn't need to waste any stamina which is why fighting for hours was nothing for him while Luffy had to replenish his stamina over and over again.
    Katakuri on the other hand, just 1 man without clones and whatnot to get in the way. Once his ability is figured out, he's not that big a problem. Cracker is the bigger problem, and it's a good thing he's out the way.

Luffy wouldn't be fighting Katakuri if he wasn't confident he knew how to take on Katakuri. He literally locked himself up with him.

Enima and Pea like this.
  18. hokageji

hokageji Registered User

India
    Amazing chapter.... Brulee showing up was a surprise but it worked very well....

Havent read all the posts yet, but quick observations:

1. Pedro is surely dead... there is no coming back from it, looks like this is the first step of OP's maturity when it comes to handling death... I know the falcon dude pulled it off but he is a effing bird... There is no escape from this.

2. This is the defining moment for Carrot... from here on, she is a true candidate for the nakama... not enough to seal it yet though...
    Btw, (from the OP podcast), the Man on the moon legend in Japan is a carrot pounding and making mochi. for a second, I thought we'll see that happen...

3. Luffy vs Katakuri is gonna be epic.. I like how Katakuri acknowledged Luffy in singling them out.. bet he didn't see that happening. This battle will bring out the best of Luffy surely, a perfect setup and build up for the next arc..

4. They are not quite clear from Mama's danger.. She is truly an iron Balloon and will keep coming back... Now with the strawhats successfully escaped, all that's left is the cake, and Luffy. For the island, the danger remains Mama as Perospero can surely be targeted now. or Mama will still try and chase them but end up destroying her ships in the process. I bet all this just gives them a better probability to escape but danger is still not zero... My guess is the thousand sunny will show a new feature and go up in the Sky with the new balloon we saw, possibly with Nami's help. They are still not out of it, but the probability is higher, 20% maybe instead of zero.

5. Now if Mama doesn't chase them, she becomes the eminent threat to the SHs... The cake becomes an excellent bargaining factor here. Sanji and co make the big cake, Mama goes unconscious for a bit.. we still need Pudding and her memory thing to work after that where she steals her memory or wipes it off but fo both cases, they'll need the cooperation of the rest of the cew.

\

~Charging Lightning~ and Seraph like this.
  19. nik87

nik87 Registered User

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member

Tartaros
    I am expecting Luffy vs Katakuri to be the Luffy vs Lucci of the New World. It will be that kind of fight.

BM and Smoothie, along with rest of BMP are still there so when the match is over and cake served i guess they will be escaping on that flying carpet to the Sunny.

20. Kuza

Kuza Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

United States
    Why go into mirror with Katakuri if can just toss him away or even in the water? Why Katakuri who can predict future cant fucking predict that Luffy will grab him and like wow that makes sense - this is complete bullshit, he was hyped as the most powerful person in obs haki so far, and he can't predict being grabbed? Probably plot whole to show us the fight which is not even necessary has to happen. At least BM fucks off and we can watch Katakuri go down with magical stamina from nowhere to pull G4 now. This arc is so unnecessary dragged, I can't even.

He can also escape to Sanji location through other mirrors, poor Brule

Also on Katakuri DF - he was a logia at first, now he's a paramecia, so why Luffy's haki attacks go through without any damage? Is it like Trebol? Judging by the area of attacks there should be a really small midget inside to avoid those hits in his body. And if haki can't damage him, won't it be a bit off? And why did he stop being sticky? Wtf is going on

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    roggie likes this.